Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Did the Texans Make the Right Draft Choice in QBs

Mahomes is pretty much living the dream.

Elite HC/OC, above average line, elite weapons, sat for a year under very experienced QB

The dude has talent but couldn’t have landed in a better spot to use it
This is kind of where I'm at.
Mahomes comes to the Texans and he might just be Case Keenum 2.0. Under pressure all the time and just slinging it downfield in desperation. Basically, these parts of his NFL Draft profile : "Too eager to go big game hunting. Ravenous appetite for the explosive play can also bring unwanted trouble. Willingness to default to playground style appears to limit his ability to get into a consistent rhythm. Needs to improve anticipatory reads and learn to take what the defense gives him. Decision making can go from good to bad in a moment's notice."

Watson is the guy I really wanted, and was shocked when the Texans made it happen. I wasn't worried about the arm strength concerns. I was worried about his health behind this line. What I saw (and am now seeing in Mahomes), was a tendency to shine brightest on the biggest stage. I figured that NFL-level scrutiny would likely have little-to-no effect on him. He was the kind of guy that WANTED the game on his shoulders when it was all on the line. I hoped he'd live through the growing pains until we could build him a line.

Pretty impressive, especially under the harsh ash circumstances. Just imagine if he had a better line like Mahomes and a better coach. Doc anymore questions? Hahareceived_302885537173674.jpeg

Just think, Chicago traded up just 1 spot for Mitch T when he would have been there for them anyways without the trade, also still would have had Watson and Mahomes on the board if not. Historically dumb move.

I do like Mitch though, i figured Watson and Mahomes would be gone by the time we picked so he was the guy i was hoping we would get.

This is after Tribs threw for 6 TDs sunday

Gb26S7PUK2DxQNIjP_3QL2mbc6BjWFNH2-NEmdleu9s.jpg

We live in a 'what have you done for me lately' society. I would argue that most of those struggles came under John Fox who isnt a very good offensive football coach and whoever was the OC. Trubisky this year has looked great. I still prefer Watson obviously because Watson doesnt need a perfect scenario, a clean pocket or All Pro talent to make it work, actually he turns JAGS into decent football players by his leadership and command alone.

Why do we have this thread? Watson is the man here and now. KC actually jumped ahead of Houston trading up from 27 to 10. Then Houston moved, 25 to 12. Both organizations got their franchise QB’s, now what is so ..... controversial?

Watson is better than Mahomes and when our OL gets figured out the next two years you will see. Until then Watson will continue to be a top 10 qb despite getting rocked each week.

So we're done with Watson already? Mahomes has played 5 games. People had Watson in the HOF after 5 games last year. I think we'll be OK with Watson, but coaching and talent around him will be a factor.

No one is saying they are done with Watson …. its just a question of "Can we win it all with this guy as our QB?"

I think he can lead a team to a championship …. with the right coaching staff around him and a competent OL.

Right now he has neither competent coaching or OL play and the offense has sputtered despite having very good WR's to work with , possibly the best threesome in the league with DHop , Fuller and QT.

Keeping this guy between the tackles is just ignorant when his greatest strength is his ability to extend a play and keeping his focus down field. (especially when the OL is this bad).

I think what's blatantly obvious is that OB is NOT capable of getting us the desired result. The sooner he's gone , the better.

If I had a list of four really good looking, sweet, kind women who checked off most of the "I want" attributes who wanted to be with me and I actually got one, well I am not going to think about what I didn't get but thank the Lord I actually got one.

No one is saying they are done with Watson …. its just a question of "Can we win it all with this guy as our QB?"

I think he can lead a team to a championship …. with the right coaching staff around him and a competent OL.

Right now he has neither competent coaching or OL play and the offense has sputtered despite having very good WR's to work with , possibly the best threesome in the league with DHop , Fuller and QT.

Keeping this guy between the tackles is just ignorant when his greatest strength is his ability to extend a play and keeping his focus down field. (especially when the OL is this bad).

I think what's blatantly obvious is that OB is NOT capable of getting us the desired result. The sooner he's gone , the better.

Right. I'm going to go out on a limb a say Mahomes doesn't look like he does in KC right now if the Texans had taken him. Maybe not even as good as Watson is. Not with this o-line and coaching. And if Watson was on the Chiefs, how much better would he be? Just think it's a silly topic because one guy is on fire right now on a better team, while nobody questioned whether we got the right guy after 6 games last year.

Yeah, after 5 games for Mahomes and 10 for Watson, it looks like you can't go wrong with either guy. But it is just 5 and 10 games.

It's not a question of whether we chose the right QB or not, it's an issue of having and extending the wrong coach, having a front office who can inject the team with talent, and getting a staff in here that knows what to do with that talent when they get it.

Well of course he has to have the right coach and etc. Doesn't ever other QB in the NFL has to have the right pieces and coaches around them?

And yes Obrien is way over his head.

I think Watson is the best of the bunch if he survives, but we're far from seeing his best - and may never depending our coaching. Right now he's Peyton Manning on the Browns of the past decade ... being coached poorly, schemed poorly, taught poorly, and his cast is in the same boat. Yet he's been asked to save the day and make plays out of nothing - resulting in sacks outside of the pocket, throws into double coverage and unnecessary risks.

Who knows how many of those Browns QB's might have had an actual NFL career had they gone somewhere else, but Watson is good enough that he's surviving.

Right. I'm going to go out on a limb a say Mahomes doesn't look like he does in KC right now if the Texans had taken him. Maybe not even as good as Watson is. Not with this o-line and coaching. And if Watson was on the Chiefs, how much better would he be? Just think it's a silly topic because one guy is on fire right now on a better team, while nobody questioned whether we got the right guy after 6 games last year.

Yeah, after 5 games for Mahomes and 10 for Watson, it looks like you can't go wrong with either guy. But it is just 5 and 10 games.

It's not a question of whether we chose the right QB or not, it's an issue of having and extending the wrong coach, having a front office who can inject the team with talent, and getting a staff in here that knows what to do with that talent when they get it.

I think we both said the same thing …. :corrosion:

Mahomes was my #1 QB choice in the draft and I was hoping the Texans would move up to get him. I've always been biased toward QB's with a quick release, and his velocity was just icing. I was disappointed when KC moved up to get him, and was a little more disappointed when we took Watson. I thought he was pretty good, but not great. Then my preferences for the two QB's inversed after the Texans/Patriots game last season. I started to believe Dabo Swinney, and now I think Watson's intangibles and ice-in-the-veins winning mentality will one day win a championship.

I'm guessing that CnD is skeptical of Watson because of his durability. It's a valid concern, so on that facet we'll have to wait and see.

Trubisky is what 5 TDs an attempt? Plus he has a top 5 defense. I like Mahomes as much as Watson. Only time will tell in terms of what they accomplish.

Trubisky is what 5 TDs an attempt? Plus he has a top 5 defense. I like Mahomes as much as Watson. Only time will tell in terms of what they accomplish.

wait...how is that even possible?

Okay.. this is how I feel about it. I rarely think this about any player regardless sport this way, but I think Watson has the cache to choose his own coach and own destiny..I'd give it to him and I'd give it to him after this season.

Bill O'Brien is the dead bloated bait that you pick off of your hook that floats on by after you toss it back it into the water...and wonder why nothing takes a bite. Nothing ever bites..

I'm going to say it one more time.....in all the years I've watched football, Ive never seen a great QB make a piss-poor OL look great. Now I've seen on more than a few occasions a great OL make a mediocre QB look better than he really is.

The message of my statement is simple. The Texans need to get their "Franchise QB" an OL that can not only protect him but allow him to evolve into the QB that Texans fans have been waiting for.....for 16 years.

Last edited:
I'm going to say it one more time.....in all the years I've watched football, Ive never seen a great QB make a piss-poor OL look great. Now I've seen a more than a few occasions a great OL make a mediocre QB look better than he really is.

The message of my statement is simple. The Texans need to get their "Franchise QB" an OL that can not only protect him but allow him to evolve into the QB that Texans fans have been waiting for.....for 16 years.

Manning and Brady did it most of their careers to a certain extent. Their ability to make a quick read and fast release usually nullified any deficiency in the offensive line play. Its why Watson should have been playing out of the gun from day 1 this year (and if it were up to me - all of his career).

Manning and Brady did it most of their careers to a certain extent. Their ability to make a quick read and fast release usually nullified any deficiency in the offensive line play. Its why Watson should have been playing out of the gun from day 1 this year (and if it were up to me - all of his career).

Just further shows Bill O'Brien doesn't know what he's doing. He was on the Patriots coaching staff. One would've thought he actually paid attention to how effective Brady was in the shotgun. If he did his freaking homework on Watson and after seeing him play 6 games last season. He would've seen how quickly Watson got the ball out, as well as the quick decisive decision the youngster made. But oh no, let's put him underneath the freaking center. Haha

Their OL's seemed to be mediocre to slightly above mediocre. Neither Manning or Brady ever played behind an OL on the same level of piss-poor as what the Texans have put in front of Watson in his first two seasons.

Yeah not an option to draft Mahomes as KC moved up first - but if they had really wanted him I guess they could have traded up first/higher.

Not sure if there was a right choice - Watson in his first handful of games set the world on fire, and so is Mahomes. Like Watson I expect after enough games and film is available the league will be able to slow Mahomes.

I really like Mahomes and he was my choice for QB, but I wasn't disappointed with Watson. Things I really liked about Mahomes 1) really strong arm (not sure how much this matters overall though, Watson has plenty of arm strength) 2) his ability to throw the ball anywhere when on the move - just ridiculous 3) in college tape just always seemed to get it done (example last night of switching hands and throwing on the run with his left - WHAT!?!).
Shades of Bucky Richardson

Im just glad that Watson doesn’t have Mahomes voice. Holy crap, he sounds like hes been smoking since kindergarten.

Cool, because that was the point.

The rest of your post/objection disagrees with a notion that the article is not saying.
The article is not comparing Watson hits/sacks to Carr. You are.
Come on now. The quote you specifically posted

automatically speaks to a comparison to Carr.
Lol, what does "speaks to" mean? Anything can "speak to" whatever YOU believe it "speaks to".

Again, the fact is the article is not comparing Watson hit/sacks to Carr it makes no mention of Carr.

You are making that comparison (and that's fine) if you want to make that comp be my guest but that doesn't mean the article is making that comparison.

Good article on Wats:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2018/film-room-deshaun-watson-0

A middling Week 1 showing and a 1-3 record have cast a shadow on Watson's season, but the second-year passer is better than he was a year ago and is well on his way to being every bit as good as the Texans hoped he could be. Watson's progress and performance deserve to be appreciated.
Part of what has made Watson's season impressive thus far is how he has produced despite an atrocious offensive line. Through four weeks, Houston is dead last in offensive pressure rate at 38.0 percent. Watson has been sacked 17 times as a result, which trails only Buffalo's quarterbacks, who have been sacked 21 times.

If anything, it is impressive that Watson does not concede more sacks and bigger losses than he does. Seventeen sacks through four games is certainly a lot, but that number very well could be higher if not for Watson's mobility and awareness. Watson has also only given up 84 total yards due to sacks, an average of 4.94 yards per sack. Compare that to the 84 yards Ryan Tannehill has given up on just eight sacks (10.5 yards per sack) or the 126 yards Eli Manning has conceded on 15 sacks (8.4 yards per sack). This does not mean Watson never takes 10-plus-yard sacks, but it does mean Watson consistently mitigates losses by trying to make it to the line of scrimmage when pressure arrives and not scrambling backwards. Watson salvages many bad plays and seldom makes bad plays worse.

That said, it is still unfortunate that Watson is regularly thrust into the position of dealing with constant pressure

Before anyone begins throwing tomatoes, let me say that I do not have a firm opinion on this at this time. Trubisky was never on the Texans radar (and I say this despite his recent 6 TD performance). But we do know that Mahomes was. I'm not a certified QB expert, and so I throw this out as an honest question.

Out of curiosity, based on your previous posts, I think you have concerns about his injury history and a potential issue with his eyes. What is your current opinion and concerns?

Well MaHomes certainly appears to have the best arm of the group and he is a true playmaker but his supporting cast of offensive teammates is so much better than
what the Texans have it's kinda unfair to compare Watson with him now.

Luck was by far the most polished, NFL ready coming out of college. Now, wouldn't bet a hot dog on him. I loved both Mahomes & Watson coming out. They're the next generation of greats.

Back