Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Deshaun Watson - Out for the Year - Torn ACL

90% of all statistics on the subject say that at least half of "being ahead of schedule" is believing you're ahead of schedule so in this respect DeShaun is absolutely ahead of schedule. Hell he may even be "Way ahead of schedule" at this point (which is pretty damn far ahead of schedule).

The fact of the matter is that 60% of the time that's true every time.

It's the Texans. They've spent most of their existence far, far ahead of schedule and all of it on the right track. What's not to like? ;)

And not doing anything too traumatic.

If Watson cannot start, we should do more than get rid of Cushing. It would be waste of guys like Watt, Mercilus and Hopkins. If no #4, trade them for players & picks and build this team. I think he will be ready by regular season but let"s not be so hungry we bite our own tongue.

If Watson cannot start, we should do more than get rid of Cushing. It would be waste of guys like Watt, Mercilus and Hopkins. If no #4, trade them for players & picks and build this team. I think he will be ready by regular season but let"s not be so hungry we bite our own tongue.
Awright, good advice Badboy !

The article notes that Brady isn't on here because he makes such quick decisions that he doesn't have to throw into tight windows. So is this really a good thing?

IMO, he isn't on there because most of the time his WR's are wide open. And if they are not open, he throws it deep to the covered WR and gets a pass interference penalty.....

The article notes that Brady isn't on here because he makes such quick decisions that he doesn't have to throw into tight windows. So is this really a good thing?

Brady's whole game (now) is set that way. Whole bunch of waterbug WRs on short catch and runs. But without those, he'd probably be on the list.

Brady's whole game (now) is set that way. Whole bunch of waterbug WRs on short catch and runs. But without those, he'd probably be on the list.
didn't mean to imply Brady couldn't throw into tight windows - we've seen him do it - more that an offense that creates mismatches that leave the QB easier throws (assuming he makes the right reads) is better, IMO, than one where tight throws are more often required

Reminds me of my response when the team and media reported Watson's surgery was "successful." Not really predictive, but possibly with room for optimism.

Ian Begley‏@IanBegley

Knicks say that Kristaps Porzingis underwent successful surgery today to repair a torn ACL in his left knee. It was performed at the Hospital for Special Surgery. No timetable for return has been provided yet.

9:02 AM - 13 Feb 2018

David J. Chao, MD‏Verified account@ProFootballDoc 2h2 hours ago

Good to hear but declaring surgery a success immediately after performed is like saying a draft was successful immediately after selection. Time will tell, but glad there is optimism.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to believe that when a team says "surgery was 'successful'" they mean the dude didn't come out of it any worse off.

.........they think/hope........

I’m beginning to think it means they still have a pulse.

“get the mirror and hold it under his nose”
“did it fog”
“yes”
“Woo another successful surgery”

*high fives all around*

“doctor”
“doctor”
“doctor”

Etc. etc.

No offense to current medical professionals

It ain't BOB that makes him good.
DW4 seems to think him and BO'b have a good chemistry and are a good fit. Let's face it BO'b changed up how he was calling games with DW4 at the helm. BO'b was a hell of a lot less predictable and opened up the offense up a lot more under DW4. Of coarse with a talent like DW4 you don't have to be a great play caller. Still, to me it was obvious that BO'b and DW4 are a perfect match.

In the following table, the 35 qualified quarterbacks are ranked by ascending failed completion rate (FC%). We also included failed completions as a percentage of attempts (very little change in the rankings) as well as the average ALEX (all downs) for the season.

Watson is 2nd in FC % in ascending order on the first chart

Of course, a lot of quarterbacks missed time this year, including Deshaun Watson, who finished with the second-lowest FC% with an aggressive approach similar to Winston’s. Winston (1.8) and Watson (1.8) were the only quarterbacks with an ALEX above +1.0 on all downs. The Texans tried to sustain some of that with Tom Savage, who finished seventh in FC% and ALEX, but obviously his passes were not as successful.The next quarterback table compares FC% to ALEX (all passes) by down, with third and fourth down grouped together. Rankings are from best (green) to worse (red), and the darker the color, the more standard deviations that quarterback is from the average.

2017FCALEX.JPG

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/failed-completions-2017

I have as much optimism for the future of our young QB as the next guy but let's wait and see how he comes back from this injury AND how defenses adapt to his game (and how he reacts to the adaptations) before we start crowing too loudly.

<fingers and toes crossed for Watson's success>

I have as much optimism for the future of our young QB as the next guy but let's wait and see how he comes back from this injury AND how defenses adapt to his game (and how he reacts to the adaptations) before we start crowing too loudly.

<fingers and toes crossed for Watson's success>

I just dont get why fans dont see it like this.

Watson/Texans org/Dr.'s/Fans have no idea how Watson is going to comeback from his 2nd ACL.

I just dont get why fans dont see it like this.

Watson/Texans org/Dr.'s/Fans have no idea how Watson is going to comeback from his 2nd ACL.

He won a National Championship after his first ACL (on the other knee), so I see no reason to not expect a full recovery and great things from him in the future.

It's almost like Texans fans are conditioned to expect the worst and look forward to nothing, but I completely understand based on the lackluster history of this franchise and Houston pro football history in general.

I'm just not going to do it, though. It's just entertainment, so I'm looking forward to seeing him play great and entertain all of us. :texflag: And if I'm wrong, who really gives a crap?

I get kinda giddy listening to the Franchise! .. what a breath of fresh air this kid is

I haven't been able to get that page to load all morning long. Keep getting the "oh no Sorry! Something went wrong". Guess I'll try it from home this afternoon.
Loads for me just fine but I am on a laptop at work. Highly recommend people listen; it's really good and no BS

R/Texans just got an interview with Jordan Palmer who works with QBs coming into the draft, fixes their mechanics, works on their mental fortitude, etc. Talks about Deshaun here specifically

https://soundcloud.com/user-740659176/jordan-palmer-joins-the-podcast-to-talk-deshaun-watson
Thanks for posting this interview. Palmer puts Watson's and O'Brien's roles in Watson's success/mechanics in perspective. He puts virtually all doubts about O'Brien's leadership and bilateral commitment with his players to rest.

Last edited:
In response to upstream posts about surgery being successful...seems like a surgery is to "fix" a broken bone, or bypass an artery or sew up/plug a hernia. Whether the surgery allows the person to utilyze that body part is something else.

Back