Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Deion "Coach Prime" Sanders and The University of Colorado

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
orca-image-737595734.jpeg

Colorado hasn't had a winning season in 20 yrs, and were 1-11 this year. Due to hiring Coach Prime four months ago, he's gotten Colorado a top-30 recruiting class this year, including having flipped the #1 CB recruit in the class, back-to-back years.

This will be THE story of the season, because he has done nothing but excel at everything he's ever done. In three seasons as a college head coach, he has two conference championships.

Also, the new starting quarterback for Colorado is Coach Prime's own son.. He was a 4-star recruit out of high school, with two state championships in Texas. He's only lost three games in his entire college career, and he enters this season as a junior.

I'm about to be really honest. When Deion started coaching as Jackson St my initial thoughts were "That's a smart PR move" and "No chance this works." I was wrong. Like, really wrong.

I've lived in the DFW area for over 25 years now. I was here when the Prime Academy was started and had its problems; I was here at the tail end of Sander's time with the Cowboys, and the media coverage of all of that influenced my opinion of Sanders. When he scored his first big recruiting win, I thought good for him and good for HBCUs in general, but I still wasn't convinced. That all changed when College Gameday went to Jackson St last Nov (?).

Listening to that interview, I got it. I understood why recruits wanted to play for him. I understood why his players went to war for him. I understood why he was always going to succeed as a college coach. Sanders may never win an FCS title, but it doesn't matter. He will positively affect the lives and careers of every young man who steps foot into one of his locker rooms.

Now, I'm a huge fan. If my sons were blessed with the talent to play D1 football, I'd be ecstatic if they went to Colorado. If I were 17 again and had the chance, I'd want to go to Colorado.

I was really sold when he told the #1 Recruit in the country, Travis Hunter, "I gotta take care of your career. I'm not playing you until you're 100%. We need Travis to be Travis."

He took all the media arrows for that kid, and when the big games came, Travis showed why he was labeled a "transitional talent" with his dominant play on the field.

Also, the new starting quarterback for Colorado is Coach Prime's own son.. He was a 4-star recruit out of high school, with two state championships in Texas. He's only lost three games in his entire college career, and he enters this season as a junior.

This gives Prime a couple of yrs to find his next QB. In the mean time he's going to have some great recruiting classes. I'm guessing he will be able to draw from LA and Fla. in addition to getting the best recruits out of Colorado. What do you want to bet Prime gets one stud out of Houston and one out of Dallas in the next couple of yrs?

Great hire for the Buffs.

"Well, we have different attributes. Smart, tough, fast, disciplined with character. Now, quarterbacks are different," Sanders told Eisen last week. "We want mother, father. Dual parent. We want that kid to be 3.5 [GPA] and up. Because he has to be smart. Not bad decisions off the field, at all. Because he has to be a leader of men.

Sanders said he looks for similar attributes in offensive linemen, but his criteria are different for the defensive side of the football.

"Defensive linemen is totally opposite. Single mama, trying to get it, he’s on free lunch," Sanders continued. "I’m talking about just trying to make it. He’s trying to rescue mama. Like mama barely made the flight. And I want him to just go get it.

"It’s a whole different attribute that you look for in different positions. And we have that stuff just chronicled. We know what we want, and we go get it."

"Well, we have different attributes. Smart, tough, fast, disciplined with character. Now, quarterbacks are different," Sanders told Eisen last week. "We want mother, father. Dual parent. We want that kid to be 3.5 [GPA] and up. Because he has to be smart. Not bad decisions off the field, at all. Because he has to be a leader of men.

Sanders said he looks for similar attributes in offensive linemen, but his criteria are different for the defensive side of the football.

"Defensive linemen is totally opposite. Single mama, trying to get it, he’s on free lunch," Sanders continued. "I’m talking about just trying to make it. He’s trying to rescue mama. Like mama barely made the flight. And I want him to just go get it.

"It’s a whole different attribute that you look for in different positions. And we have that stuff just chronicled. We know what we want, and we go get it."
An uncomfortable truth

Same with QB's like Deean and Derrick proved

My son got an offer from him at the end of recruiting season. My classmate was on the national championship CU squad. My son is going to use one of his 5 official visits there. We don't need to to use official visits for Texas,TAMU, OK,LSU or any of those schools that driving distance.

An uncomfortable truth

I don't understand how you interject Watson and the other guy into the conversation. I mean, you want guys who are dogs all over the field at every position. Some of the nastiest ol players from college came from single parent households. When Prime said that a couple of weeks ago, I thought it was funny actually. He never mentioned qb

My son got an offer from him at the end of recruiting season. My classmate was on the national championship CU squad. My son is going to use one of his 5 official visits there. We don't need to to use official visits for Texas,TAMU, OK,LSU or any of those schools that driving distance.

He had me at
"I'm bringing my luggage with me...and it's Louis."

An uncomfortable truth

It means to me he wants players that have had to sacrifice their entire life and are willing to lay it on the line, have that extra fear of a killer instinct to get after another player.

When it comes to playing QB - you don’t necessarily need that. You can be more even tempered and methodical.

I disagree though. You give me two players at QB - one that has been on easy street his entire life and the other that has challenges and sacrifices who has seen his mom raise him by herself - and everything else being equal in skills I would take the kid who has had challenges.

I would want a kid who is hungry and wouldn’t blink in the face in adversity.

That’s just my opinion.

I don't understand how you interject Watson and the other guy into the conversation. I mean, you want guys who are dogs all over the field at every position. Some of the nastiest ol players from college came from single parent households. When Prime said that a couple of weeks ago, I thought it was funny actually. He never mentioned qb

Sanders looks for dual parent families when HE looks for HIS QB's.

There's a reason for this, STABILITY BTW, Sanders said this not me. He knows a thing or 2 about this, whether you are anybody else wants to admit the uncomfortable truth. Give a kid that's never had a stable background millions of dollars and power over your billion dollar business and you shouldn't be surprised at the results.

There's a reason for this, STABILITY BTW, Sanders said this not me. He knows a thing or 2 about this, whether you are anybody else wants to admit the uncomfortable truth. Give a kid that's never had a stable background millions of dollars and power over your billion dollar business and you shouldn't be surprised at the results.
There have been plenty of single parent qbs that have gotten millions and stayed on the right track. What has Lamar done wrong? You're speaking of Watson who did nothing wrong until he did everything wrong.

Reactions: JB
There have been plenty of single parent qbs that have gotten millions and stayed on the right track. What has Lamar done wrong? You're speaking of Watson who did nothing wrong until he did everything wrong.
Just telling you what Sanders thinks and I agree with him. You need stability at the QB/leadership position.

Just telling you what Sanders thinks and I agree with him. You need stability at the QB/leadership position.

Stability was not the word Deion used. He said he wanted a smart decision maker and leader of men. No off the field issues.

On the defense he wanted someone who was hungry and needed to make a big play for mama to survive.

Basically it’s about risk taking. The defensive player from a single parent household will put it all on the line to make the play. A sack that may be a penalty. A defensive player from dual household will pull up to avoid the risk and give up the play.

For QB he wants a player that won’t go for the big risky play for the first down (single household) but the safe check down that may end in a punt (dual household.)

Why is it that a dual parent household may be a check down or leave something on the field that will give up the play?

Because of inherit risk taking learned while growing up. Sometimes there are risks to survive that may end up in trouble that a single household faces. Stealing food to survive. Live for the now because tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. A dual household is about avoiding risk. Stay on the straight and narrow. You have a future to think about. The risk taking isn’t a factor because they have it easier than a single household.

Only a black man could be this candid and straight forward when it comes to recruiting football players for a major college program in these times..

Only a black man could be this candid and straight forward when it comes to recruiting football players for a major college program in these times..
Yet some seem to not get what he's saying.

Just another reason to stay far away from Stroud. What do Derrick and Stroud have in common with each other than being black QB's and have the same leetch representing them?

Hopefully Janice/Cal have learned something from the Derrick fiasco.

Yet some seem to not get what he's saying.

Just another reason to stay far away from Stroud. What do Derrick and Stroud have in common with each other than being black QB's and have the same leetch representing them?

Hopefully Janice/Cal have learned something from the Derrick fiasco.
So tell me how you put Stroud in this? You still haven't answered the Lamar Jackson question. Most qbs are from dual parents because the cost to train a young qb and those camps are very, very expensive. See, one moment, you laud what Coach Sanders says about dual parent households to meet your narrative, but don't let the player have educated parents from Nigeria or any other African country, right?

So tell me how you put Stroud in this? You still haven't answered the Lamar Jackson question. Most qbs are from dual parents because the cost to train a young qb and those camps are very, very expensive. See, one moment, you laud what Coach Sanders says about dual parent households to meet your narrative, but don't let the player have educated parents from Nigeria or any other African country, right?

I what I said is very understandable. It's also what Deion believes. Pick Stroud at your own peril. The Nigerian thing you're bringing up is apples and oranges. I wouldn't pick another Nigerian high in the draft (Before the 3rd rd) because oKoYe burned them and I would hope they choose not to make the same mistake twice. I'm OK with picking them later in the draft because when they bust you really haven't lost much. But a rd.1-2 pick no way am I spending that kind of draft capital and hoping for the best.

I what I said is very understandable. It's also what Deion believes. Pick Stroud at your own peril. The Nigerian thing you're bringing up is apples and oranges. I wouldn't pick another Nigerian high in the draft (Before the 3rd rd) because oKoYe burned them and I would hope they choose not to make the same mistake twice. I'm OK with picking them later in the draft because when they bust you really haven't lost much. But a rd.1-2 pick no way am I spending that kind of draft capital and hoping for the best.
Stroud is one of the most stable prospects coming out. I mean he's been the 2nd highest paid NIL player in college and hasn't had any bumps in the road. Prime said he like the smart o-line players, yet when Ikea had 2 doctors as parents, you stated you wouldn't draft a guy like that. Plus he's Nigerian, but now its because Okoye didn't pan out? C'mon bro. So you're not drafting a white qb from Stanford either because of Mills.

Stroud is one of the most stable prospects coming out. I mean he's been the 2nd highest paid NIL player in college and hasn't had any bumps in the road. Prime said he like the smart o-line players, yet when Ikea had 2 doctors as parents, you stated you wouldn't draft a guy like that. Plus he's Nigerian, but now its because Okoye didn't pan out? C'mon bro. So you're not drafting a white qb from Stanford either because of Mills.
I feel as though you're trying to make this into a white black thing. It's not.
I wouldn't draft a Nigerian player in the 1st 3 rds because of getting burned by oKoYe and I wouldn't draft another developmental Stanford QB like McKee after getting burned to a far lesser extent by Mills. There's exceptions to this, like if Luck was coming out in this draft.

BTW, I would never pick Stroud because his talent isn't worth having to deal with his agent. He ain't that good and frankly it not only confirms for me that he lacks in judgement but also the type of individual he is.

McKee may compare to Mills certainly, but he has one major advantage over Mills in that Mills was extremely raw coming out of College with only a dozen or so starts.
McKee has top tier arm strength and can throw to all parts of the field because of his excellent footwork and played in a WCO system.
On a sidenote, Stanford likely used the same system when Mills was there so he likely will also benefit going forward - that is if Texans indeed do employ some form of it as expected.

Excited for the game tonight.

They've been using tons of perceived slights as motivational fuel for the first two games and then the Colorado State coach makes his dumb comments about hats and glasses. What was he thinking? He just handed Sanders even more ammunition.

Not sure who else watched, but...What. A. Game.

Wild finish and damn is Colorado State ever a dirty team.

That was certainly fun. Which is pretty much par for the course with all things Prime.

How many (and which) big boy programs are behind the scenes drawing up plans to try and lure Deion to their program?

Alabama
USC
Texas
LSU
FSU
Miami
Florida
Oklahoma
?

That was certainly fun. Which is pretty much par for the course with all things Prime.

How many (and which) big boy programs are behind the scenes drawing up plans to try and lure Deion to their program?

Alabama
USC
Texas
LSU
FSU
Miami
Florida
Oklahoma
?
I'd think Deion would stay for at least a couple years but it's gotta be FSU right?

Prime is dominating early.. It will only continue from here.

We're going to find out where Colorado's team is when they play at Oregon next Saturday. Their win at TCU seemed great at the time but the truth is that TCU isn't very good and neither is Nebraska or Colorado State.

Unless Mike Norvel falls apart I expect him to be at FSU for a while. By the way, Mike is 41 and Deion is 56.

Deion's been on record as of late distancing himself from Florida St.

I don't think it's completely out of the question at some point, but I don't think it's as obvious a landing spot as many do.

And I say that as both a longtime huge fan of FSU and Prime.

Alabama
USC
Texas
LSU
FSU
Miami
Florida
Oklahoma
?
Texas A&M if Jimbo does not right his ship Ricky tic.

We're going to find out where Colorado's team is when they play at Oregon next Saturday. Their win at TCU seemed great at the time but the truth is that TCU isn't very good and neither is Nebraska or Colorado State.
They should've lost to Colorado St.

Overall I don't think Colorado are actually all that great, there's definite holes on that team.

I think they're above what people thought they were before the season started but below where the hype has them now.

Definitely a fun team with some very good players to watch either way.

I got a kick out of some national analyst the other day talking about Deion making Colorado rough & touh like he was when he played.
Anybody who ever watched him play in the NFL knows he was the ultimate finesse CB because the man was skilled at avoiding contact while also being a tremendous cover corner, a HOFer of course but nevertheless the man simply did not like to tackle.

Overall I don't think Colorado are actually all that great, there's definite holes on that team.

I think they're above what people thought they were before the season started but below where the hype has them now.

Definitely a fun team with some very good players to watch either way.
We'll see where the Buffs stand the next 2 weeks at Oregon and home vs. USC.

Sooner or later Coach Prime's bubble is going to burst.
It may be this year, but this year will be the worst team Prime will coach at Colorado. Many 5-star recruits are calling Prime to come to Colorado. It's reverse recruiting in Colorado. Colorado under Prime will become the Champion of the Big 12 every year. If Prime stays at Colorado for 5 years, he could have 15 players getting drafted each year.

If. I'm wondering how interested in college coaching Sanders will be once his sons have gone to the pros. Regardless, I don't see Sanders in Boulder for 5 years.
He’s been talking like he wants to stick to college but I agree with you. It’s hard to reject the lure of the NFL. Especially with his sons likely going too.

If. I'm wondering how interested in college coaching Sanders will be once his sons have gone to the pros. Regardless, I don't see Sanders in Boulder for 5 years.

I don't think he gives any f*cks at all about coaching in the NFL. I think his heart is truly in coaching/mentoring younger men to progress to the big stage. To be a part of the most impactful stage of their potential careers and the very acute but profound reward there is in that.

My guess is he's keenly aware of the colossal difference between coaching impressionable youngsters who revere him on a like-minded path versus coaching well paid and less leveraged grown men who have a massive array of motivations and agendas and trying to corral all of that all at once.

I agree that he's probably not too long for Boulder once Shedeur and Shilo move on, but I'd further guess that that'll be for a bigger college stage. The USC's, UT's, LSU's, A&M's, and FSU's will be a destination spot for him, and that's when this thing will really turn up.

I don't think he gives any f*cks at all about coaching in the NFL. I think his heart is truly in coaching/mentoring younger men to progress to the big stage. To be a part of the most impactful stage of their potential careers and the very acute but profound reward there is in that.

My guess is he's keenly aware of the colossal difference between coaching impressionable youngsters who revere him on a like-minded path versus coaching well paid and less leveraged grown men who have a massive array of motivations and agendas and trying to corral all of that all at once.

I agree that he's probably not too long for Boulder once Shedeur and Shilo move on, but I'd further guess that that'll be for a bigger college stage. The USC's, UT's, LSU's, A&M's, and FSU's will be a destination spot for him, and that's when this thing will really turn up.
I think he likes coaching his kids, after all that after their gone he's gonna move on.

Back