Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Defensive ranking heading into 2010

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
So, let's see your list of team defenses that you'd rather have instead of ours heading into 2010.

Here's mine:
NYJets
Pittsburgh
Dallas
NYGiants
Green Bay
Minnesota (maybe)
San Diego (maybe)

that's it for me from a talent standpoint. Baltimore is in trouble. Ed Reed is talking retirement. Ray Lewis is too slow to play on passing downs and their secondary is a mess. Pats are horrid! Washington's stats were padded because their offense is so pathetic.

We have one of the 2 or 3 best LB corps in the league. We were 4th or 5th in the NFL against the run after week #3. Everyone is very young! The scheme was simplified because of all the inexperience on the team. More disguise and nuance will be implemented this off-season. The combination of Mario, Antonio Smith, Connor Barwin, Brian Cushing should be very effective rushing the passer over the next few seasons. The team is well under the cap, has 8 draft picks in 2010 and plenty of money it can spend. The only potential loss on defense is Dunta Robinson, and the team can keep him if they wish to. Quin, Cushing, McCain, Diles, Okoye, Deljuan, Barwin, DBarber are all significant contributors that should improve with experience. Other than Zgoniga, Eugene Wilson, Kevin Bentley, and Dunta Robinson every defensive member of the roster is either in his prime or hasn't reached it yet.

barrett

All Pro
Wow, I just realized I can't be impartial. I'm too emotionally invested in our young D. Sorry, I guess I'm off the deep end. Full on addict.

By the way, although Dreesen misunderstood the question on HT.com when asked during his live chat what athlete he admired most not on the Texans he responded with this:

I really admire Brian Cushing even though he was a rookie this past year. He prepared and practiced like a veteran all year long. I feel as though his style of play truly helped our team this year. He is also a great teammate and I'm glad we have him

Last edited:

SAMURAITEXAN

All Pro
So, let's see your list of team defenses that you'd rather have instead of ours heading into 2010.

Here's mine:
NYJets
Pittsburgh
Dallas
NYGiants
Green Bay
Minnesota (maybe)
San Diego (maybe)

that's it for me from a talent standpoint. Baltimore is in trouble. Ed Reed is talking retirement. Ray Lewis is too slow to play on passing downs and their secondary is a mess. Pats are horrid! Washington's stats were padded because their offense is so pathetic.

We have one of the 2 or 3 best LB corps in the league. We were 4th or 5th in the NFL against the run after week #3. Everyone is very young! The scheme was simplified because of all the inexperience on the team. More disguise and nuance will be implemented this off-season. The combination of Mario, Antonio Smith, Connor Barwin, Brian Cushing should be very effective rushing the passer over the next few seasons. The team is well under the cap, has 8 draft picks in 2010 and plenty of money it can spend. The only potential loss on defense is Dunta Robinson, and the team can keep him if they wish to. Quin, Cushing, McCain, Diles, Okoye, Deljuan, Barwin, DBarber are all significant contributors that should improve with experience. Other than Zgoniga, Eugene Wilson, Kevin Bentley, and Dunta Robinson every defensive member of the roster is either in his prime or hasn't reached it yet.
Bolded line really excites me!

Go Texans!!!

Insideop

All Pro

Here's mine:
NYJets
Pittsburgh
Dallas
NYGiants
Green Bay
Minnesota (maybe)
San Diego (maybe)

Personally, I would rather stick with our Defense. All of those you listed are 3-4 defenses except for the Giants and Minnie, right? I know this is the popular trend in the NFL these days but I'd still rather stick with our defensive unit in 2010 and beyond. Not because it's a 4-3, but just because of what you said in your last paragraph. I think we are a DT and FS away from dominating. A good start would be to draft Dan Williams in the 1st round this year! :d:

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Personally, I would rather stick with our Defense. All of those you listed are 3-4 defenses except for the Giants and Minnie, right? I know this is the popular trend in the NFL these days but I'd still rather stick with our defensive unit in 2010 and beyond. Not because it's a 4-3, but just because of what you said in your last paragraph. I think we are a DT and FS away from dominating. A good start would be to draft Dan Williams in the 1st round this year! :d:
The best I could, I was trying to look without favor, at the talent of each of the defenses. Since I'm madly in love with Demeco Ryans, Brian Cushing, B Pollard, I wouldn't rather have any of these teams. But, I think the teams I listed are in as good/better situation in regards to defensive talent.

The main point is: there aren't many defenses better than ours next year! at least, there won't be if we have a productive off-season.

I actually like the potential (I hate that word, but there it is) of our defense better than San Diego's and Pittsburgh's. With 4 very good to great players on our defense (Mario, Demeco, Cushing, Pollard) and the possibility of adding a guy like Earl Thomas (yeah, I can be a Longhorn homer, but I think he has the ballhawk skills they can use back there) I think we're in a better position to be a stronger defense than all of those teams. We're younger and have no guy looking at retiring or sitting on the end of his career right now.

Here's mine:
NYJets
Pittsburgh
Dallas
NYGiants
Green Bay
Minnesota (maybe)
San Diego (maybe)

The Giants and Packers have more playmaking ability, but overall they're not as good as ours. Some of the worst defensive performances of the year came from those two units, and when they don't come up with big plays they're not that good at all.

28 is still the prime of D-Rob's career.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
The Giants and Packers have more playmaking ability, but overall they're not as good as ours. Some of the worst defensive performances of the year came from those two units, and when they don't come up with big plays they're not that good at all.

28 is still the prime of D-Rob's career.

I was trying to look at the talent heading into the off-season. I think the Giants defense could be great if they add a piece at LB and some depth at safety. I realize they played poorly much of the season but I'd feel pretty darn good headed into FA and the draft with that DL and those CBs.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
I was trying to look at the talent heading into the off-season. I think the Giants defense could be great if they add a piece at LB and CUT CC BROWN!. I realize they played poorly much of the season but I'd feel pretty darn good headed into FA and the draft with that DL and those CBs.
Fixed it.

Silver Oak

All Pro

Here's mine:
NYJets
Pittsburgh
Dallas
NYGiants
Green Bay
Minnesota (maybe)
San Diego (maybe)

pretty scary how they would be doing with Jenkins still in there. I still can't get the image of Myers being tossed aside like a bad habit by Jenkins.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I don't think a defense can be considered top notch, when they are as weak at DT as the Texans are. That's the biggest hole I see on that side of the ball. Though it would be nice to have a really good cover corner. And for the Texans defense to become truly special, Mario has to decide that he wants to have a HOF career.

Prior to free agency and the draft, I'd say the Texan are looking like a B to B- defense in 2010. My opinion is very much subject to change based on acquisitions.

Mailman

Pwned by Hakeem
I'm curious how much of a factor Mario's shoulder had on his rather lackluster season. Is it possible that he's been hurt worse than we realized and that's a major reason he didn't dominate? Healthy shoulders are vital for DEs to perform at a high level.

Scooter

Funky
at this point i think those teams along with a handfull others are better than us going into next season, but i wouldnt trade our unit for any other because of the age and progression and potential.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
Why would Ed Reed retire? Injury?
Yes, which is what he intimated after the Ravens lost.

Also, I can't see how anybody would want this defense over the Vikings defense, that just sounds absurd to me and I would guess that most nfl fans would agree.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame

Also, I can't see how anybody would want this defense over the Vikings defense, that just sounds absurd to me and I would guess that most nfl fans would agree.
I was saying that it is possible that I'd rather have their talent on defense as we head into the off-season. They have a great DL and have 4 CBs that can be trusted. They are thin a LB and their safeties are weak... but, have 2 stud DTs and a great pass rusher goes a long way.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame

I agree, the Vikings are not to be messed with on Defense.

Yes they have a monster D-Line that is on average All Pro. But their LB corps isn't better than ours and their secondary is depleted. Griffin 's out now, and Winfield has been a liability ever since coming back. I guess I'd probably take their backup dbs over our starters (minus Pollard).

I'm pretty pissed that Capers was able to turn around GB from 20th in 08 to 2nd overall D this year. I guess a good bit of it is due to Woodson, but the only pieces they picked up were Raji and Clay I think, and commentators were giving DC a good bit of hooplah since week 1.

Yes they have a monster D-Line that is on average All Pro. But their LB corps isn't better than ours and their secondary is depleted. Griffin 's out now, and Winfield has been a liability ever since coming back. I guess I'd probably take their backup dbs over our starters (minus Pollard).

I'm pretty pissed that Capers was able to turn around GB from 20th in 08 to 2nd overall D this year. I guess a good bit of it is due to Woodson, but the only pieces they picked up were Raji and Clay I think, and commentators were giving DC a good bit of hooplah since week 1.
I don't think there was ever a dought about Dom's abilities as a DC. He might have even been a decent head coach had it not been for casterly's complete inability to evaluate talent. I know he picked AJ but even a blind squirrel stumbles across a nut now and then.