Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DeAndre Houston-Carsson

He played a helluva game.

We picked him up off the street from the Ravens when we had all of our safeties go down a few games into the season, and I thought he'd just be a special teamer. When he first started getting some playing time, I was like "Oh, no, we're doomed."

But he's given us a lot of good snaps.

He was with Chicago for several years and then hit the street this year after being on the Ravens practice squad.

Very similar career trajectory to Noah Brown. Earned his roster spot with Bears first few years being a special teamer. Then he started gaining meaningful snaps on defense. Now he is good enough to be getting snaps in front of Kareem Jackson.

Caserio has done a great job finding these veterans who earned their spot on special teams then through sheer hard work and attrition began getting snaps on offense or defense. Guys like this have a team first mentality and play hard. Glue guys!

Who is he? Where'd he come from? Not a Super star but a solid player.

He's a guy I picked in the 6th round (pick 199) of the TexansTalk mock draft in 2016. He was taken 14 picks earlier that year by Chicago.

We took KJ Dillon that same year at the same position. He was out of the league two years later.

Just sayin.. :shades:

Me and my brother call him the Crack head. Have since the first time we saw this dude. We had no ideal who the F he was! But yeah he's been solid!

I'll see if I can find it, but there's a podcast with Kyle and Chris Long and they were talking about the Texans beating of the Browns.

Kyle said he was really glad to see Houston-Carson out there because he'd been on the Bears with that guy. Kyle said Houston-Carson was a guy that was always working hard and studying and always winning the performance tests and really into it. He said that Houston-Carson is exactly the kind of "give it everything you've got" kind of guy that he thought would fit right in on Demeco's defense.

At least, that's what I remember.

I'll see if I can find it, but there's a podcast with Kyle and Chris Long and they were talking about the Texans beating of the Browns.

Kyle said he was really glad to see Houston-Carson out there because he'd been on the Bears with that guy. Kyle said Houston-Carson was a guy that was always working hard and studying and always winning the performance tests and really into it. He said that Houston-Carson is exactly the kind of "give it everything you've got" kind of guy that he thought would fit right in on Demeco's defense.

At least, that's what I remember.

Around 4 minute mark:

Carson has earned another contract going into next season. Like Noah Brown, i’d love for him to be quality depth rather than pressed into significant time.

Both players are vets who know their role. Glue guys. You need glue guys.
Don't want Brown back. You can't depend on him.

Nico is the possession guy
Dell is the deep threat

They need a guy who can work the middle like Shakir for the Bills…Brown ain’t that guy
A good coach can use what he has to create what he wants. With Dell & Brown (or another speed guy like Hutchinson) you can clear a lot of field then Jordan, Schultz, or Woods (for example) can eat in the middle.

For the record, I'm not advocating we keep any of these guys. Let the Texans do what they do. They exceeded my expectations this year, hope they do it again next season.

A good coach can use what he has to create what he wants. With Dell & Brown (or another speed guy like Hutchinson) you can clear a lot of field then Jordan, Schultz, or Woods (for example) can eat in the middle.

For the record, I'm not advocating we keep any of these guys. Let the Texans do what they do. They exceeded my expectations this year, hope they do it again next season.

Hutchison isn’t a speed guy tho..he’s a big body guy like Nico. Hutchinson just needs to work on his route running in the offseason. You could definitely tell he was a rook. Metchie came on late in the season..had the best game of his career in the playoffs against the Browns…which is a good sign that he may be turning the corner from his ACL injury. I think that if he and Metchie can show that growth that we expect, coupled with Nico & Dell, that makes Brown and Woods expendable …but our WR corps will still be formidable.

Hutchison isn’t a speed guy tho..he’s a big body guy like Nico. Hutchinson just needs to work on his route running in the offseason. You could definitely tell he was a rook. Metchie came on late in the season..had the best game of his career in the playoffs against the Browns…which is a good sign that he may be turning the corner from his ACL injury. I think that if he and Metchie can show that growth that we expect, coupled with Nico & Dell, that makes Brown and Woods expendable …but our WR corps will still be formidable.
I'm thinking Collins has more speed than you're giving him credit for. I'm wanting guys like Thomas who's a true deep threat or a chess piece like Legette that you can move all over (Which you also can do with Dell/Collins) to threaten defenses vertically. Give me 3 guys like this, like I've said, you cant cover them all.

I'm thinking Collins has more speed than you're giving him credit for. I'm wanting guys like Thomas who's a true deep threat or a chess piece like Legette that you can move all over (Which you also can do with Dell/Collins) to threaten defenses vertically. Give me 3 guys like this, like I've said, you cant cover them all.

We’re not talking top end speed here, we’re talking how fast u can get to your top end speed. Collins’ top end speed isn’t bad for a guy his size, but it takes him a bit to get up to it…his acceleration just isn’t great. We need another quick twitch guy who can accelerate and get in/out of his breaks & uncover quickly. No one outside of dell in our WR core has that.

We’re not talking top end speed here, we’re talking how fast u can get to your top end speed. Collins’ top end speed isn’t bad for a guy his size, but it takes him a bit to get up to it…his acceleration just isn’t great. We need another quick twitch guy who can accelerate and get in/out of his breaks & uncover quickly. No one outside of dell in our WR core has that.
Legette has this and he's 220 lbs

Thomas gets to top end speed quickly too.

Nico is the possession guy
Dell is the deep threat

They need a guy who can work the middle like Shakir for the Bills…Brown ain’t that guy

Florida State WR, Johnny Wilson (6-7 @ 235 lbs) and Rice WR, Luke McCaffrey (6-2 @ 195 lbs) could be instant answers for Stroud. Both could easily be more productive than Woods and Brown.

Back