Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DD Perspective...

pittbull

Rookie
I loved DD's performance last season, as much as any True Steel Blue Texan fan, but I'm trying not look through blue and red glasses. What should we really expect from the 5'9" dynamo this season? It looked as though even when teams tried to prepare for him last season, he still managed a way to get through the line of scrimmage and do his thing. Will the same response happen this season? What I'm hoping is, more teams focus on our downfield speed, and allow this guy to tear up the middle of the field. If he doesn't what happens to the offense? Do we become one dimensional? Does Hollings get his shot? What do the fans think? :hmmm:

With D.D running the ball like he did last season,other teams will have to really take notice everytime our Texans hit the field knowing D.D is in the back feild.That in turn will open up our passing game.We have alot of weapons on this squad.This should be a real good year.Come on football season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure, they now have the game film to prepare for him... whoopty. I would think we are improving as well to still throw kinks in the competition's preparation. (re: OL additions, revised blocking scheme).

Plus it's been noted that DD has a knack for seeing the split second hole and hitting it unlike previous RB's that couldn't make the decision fast enough. Also, for a change of pace and style, Hollings will come in.

So to answer ya, DD will get through... but will also get hit. He and Hollings has the chance to tear up mid-field (DD's breaking tackles, Hollings speed) If it doesn't happen... yeah, we may become one dimensional for THAT game, but we have improved recieving targets as well. Finally, Hollings will get a shot - defintely.

They are going to give Hollings a shot during the preseason....
The coaches would love to get second-year running back Tony Hollings about 10 carries a game in preseason. Hollings spent his rookie season recovering from knee surgery his last year at Georgia Tech. He's still learning the position because he was a defensive back until his last season of college.

"I understand it now," Hollings said about his rehabilitation. "A lot of guys that I played with in college were telling me that it wasn't going to be the same right at first. But you just have to work back into it and get better. I think it's more a difference in the belief. You're really just trying not to hurt it or agitate it again. You're kind of taking it easy. But when you get that extra time and your comfort level goes back up, you can go out and play without thinking about it."
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/HOU/7508238

As an avid fantasy football player I often have to step back and evaluate my own hometown Texan's players and see their true value. I see Hollings running the ball about 5 times a game with Davis being the featured back to take the other snaps. If Davis can stay healthy I see him reaching at least 1400 yards and 12 TDs. Also add 600 yards receiving and maybe a TD reception. I just like the fact that DD is so motivated i.e. willing to play through pain and setting lofty goals of 2000 rushing yards. I think Davis will have a legitimate shot at that goal, just not until '05

Considering Davis didnt start until week 6 and was still able to gain over 1,000 yards and still won rookie of the year awards is pretty amazing! But if you look at how he runs and the way he finds holes in the defense,,, you can tell he's a pretty special player and i dont think last year was a fluke for him. He'll only get better! I think D.D is The Texans FUTURE running back for many many years to come,,,,KiNdA like E. Smith and the cowboys! I see him getting over 1700 yards this season !!!

i dont know about 1700 yards... that is astronomical but if he keeps himself over 1000 yards this season we will be doing great. i expect him in the 1100-1300 range realistically. Remember there have been lots of 1 hit wonders *or backs with single 1000 yard seasons. If he can repeat his performance that in itself will be great. I'm optimistic. but i'm also a realist. teams will key in on him more this year. They have a whole year of game film to work with now.

Everyone keeps talking about Hollings being the "change of pace" back but guys, I'm telling you THAT'S WHERE YOU'RE WRONG!

The Texans are so sneaky and so far ahead of everyone else that the true, secret, and previously unimagined role of Jonathan Wells will be revealed in 2004. HE is going to be our "change of pace back". Count on it!

See everyones going to be looking for that little guy (or that other little guy) and planning their whole day to stop DD, TH, and of course AJ & Co. and that's when the Texans will make their move. Slipping Wells in they'll throw the entire defense off with his slow approach to hole! Linebackers will be flying in too soon to make the tackle and hitting the ground face first. Then when they're lying there trying to figure out why the back wasn't where they thought he'd be Jonathan will creep by them at something approaching a crawl.

He'll be our ultimate weapon and start a whole new era of "slow" backs that will probably change the game as we know it. Defenses are so fast these days they won't be able to cope with his game. They'll have to start signing a few slow guys to prepare for big John Wells.

Or maybe not.

I see DD going for about 1200 or so on the ground. He's a darn good back and sure, other teams will have had a chance to see film of him, but I think he's that good and our improved OL will have him looking even better! He'll be a good sleeper pick in fantasy drafts!

Well if any of yall read the Pro Football magazine you will see that even though Davis is only in his second year the NFL is already Ranked him in the top 50 Nfl players,, now thats not so bad is it ! Maybe i'm crazy but I dont think i'm the only one who has high hopes and big expectations for him this year (1700 yards) !

ok DD played in i believe 14 games right? started 10. so just counting his starts he was able to gain 103.1 yds per game, so if he starts all games this yr why cant he gain atleast 1650. i believe he will get ATLEAST 1600-2000, if he gets 2000 i'll go nuts, hollings will get some playtime but if DD is tearing them up every game i dont see why holling should play. never underestimate someone based on his size and dont think it astronomial to gain 1700 yds when he gained 1031 in 10 starts.

Flawedout, you gave DD credit for the yards he got in games he didnt start so instead of dividing 860(that yards DD got when he started the game) by 10 you divided his total yards divided by 10 so it inflates his per game average...

DD averaged 86 yards per start, so if you stretch that over a 16 game season he would of had 1376 yards, so I agree with Ben, 1300 yards sounds reasonable.

Injuries had a big part in DD getting so many yards, too. If Carr was healthy the entire season last year I dont think that DD would have gotten 1000 yards. If you remember correctly, the entire Falcons game was handing it off to DD because Carr was injured in the second half. Also, LT didnt even get 1700 yards last year and he was the lone option on that offense. Clinton Portis "only" put up 1591 yards. The only player with more then 1700 yards last year was Jamal Lewis.

HoustonTexans4Life said:
Give D.D Credit where credit is due. He earned his 1,000 yards. He had 3 games with 2 touch downs in each. Cant complain if hes putting up points for us.
I am not taking anything away from him. I am just saying that expecting 1700 rushing yards from DD is too much...

I agree that 1700 to 2000 is a bit of a stretch, but I do admire Davis' confidence and heart in stating he wanted to get 2000 yds. It's an admirable goal, but it won't happen unless you're counting his passing yards too. 1700 to 2000 total yards isn't too hard to fathom. Jamal Lewis was playing behind an excellent line in Baltimore with a perenial pro bowler in Ogden, and the running game was basically the only option for most of the season. Davis will be playing in some 2 TE sets, but a lot of 3 reciever 1 TE sets. Having said all of that; 1300 rushing yards is still very impressive from a 2nd year player.

Fiddy said:
Flawedout, you gave DD credit for the yards he got in games he didnt start so instead of dividing 860(that yards DD got when he started the game) by 10 you divided his total yards divided by 10 so it inflates his per game average...

this is true because i didnt feel like taking the time to look up his numbers in starts alone. take in count that he broke his hand and missed a good deal of preseason, plus being a rookie, and "only going to be a 3rd down back" he really proved that he can put up great numbers. i really think some of his 100 yd games will turn into 150+.... 200yds games, with the new schemes on offense plus a dangerous WR core, DD should have no problem gaining 1700+ yds, teams defensive coaches should lose sleep over our offense this yr.

flawedout said:
DD should have no problem gaining 1700+ yds...
Are you talking about 1700 total yards or 1700 rushing yards? Because I can see him getting around 1700 total yards because that means he would have around a 1350 yards rushing and 350 yards receiving (he had 351 yards receiving last year).

Hervoyel said:
Slipping Wells in they'll throw the entire defense off with his slow approach to hole! Linebackers will be flying in too soon to make the tackle and hitting the ground face first. Then when they're lying there trying to figure out why the back wasn't where they thought he'd be Jonathan will creep by them at something approaching a crawl.

He'll be our ultimate weapon and start a whole new era of "slow" backs that will probably change the game as we know it.

I read that and laughed till the tears were streaming! Thanks Hervoyel.

:rofl:

Back