Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Day two picks.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
The guy's a good pick for this round whether we need another TE or not. BPA and all that kind of stuff. I'd rather them gone with a CB or S, but this isn't a bad player.
Might not be a bad player but how many ******* TEs do you need that you don't incorporate into the offense?

Say what you will about the players drafted before, at least they were addressing the deep holes they have. No need for another ******* TE here.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
This was a need pick for running the 3 TE offense.
Goodbye Griffin. This guy is a big target with great hands.............and a good blocker.Not the sharpest tool in the chest with a 15 Wonderlic, but I'm sure he will be closely guided by our new OC (previous TE coach).

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Might not be a bad player but how many ******* TEs do you need that you don't incorporate into the offense?

Say what you will about the players drafted before, at least they were addressing the deep holes they have. No need for another ******* TE here.
Well said.

Beyond wasteful. Is Charley Casserly back in the war room? Seriously, wtf?

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
And I thought Rick Smith was bad. I have a feeling the coach doesn’t know what he wants. Well here’s hoping these picks pan out.

Porky

Hall of Fame
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/kahale-warring

Guys, I hate to be the contrarian here, but this guy is a potential steal and your likely starting TE sooner rather than later. A bit raw - so might be later. He can block in the run game and protect Watson, so you just helped Watson 3 ways - in the run game, pass blocking, and as a weapon in the pass game.

We've now got a complete set of TE's and good depth.

IMO, this is the best pick of our draft. Come back in a year or two and eat your crow.

Wolf12339

Waterboy

Guys, I hate to be the contrarian here, but this guy is a potential steal and your likely starting TE sooner rather than later. A bit raw - so might be later. He can block in the run game and protect Watson, so you just helped Watson 3 ways - in the run game, pass blocking, and as a weapon in the pass game.

IMO, this is the best pick of our draft. Come back in a year or two and eat your crow.
I agree with you. This could easily be the steal of the draft for us. I would of probably picked a different position but I have no doubt he's the highest rated player on their board.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Does anyone remember O'Brien's answer , when asked why he took Akins so early, when everyone had him rated as an UDFA ? ....... He answered, "I just had a feeling about him" !

2 media guys who made a comparison BEFORE the Texans drafted him compare him to Todd Heap and Travis Kelce..

I didn't watch any TE's because I didn't think we were in the market for one.

I'll be watching tape, tonight. I'll let you know my thoughts later.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
My post above, was not meant to have any reflection on Warring, but rather O'Brien's drafting skills .... or complete lack of them !

powda

This is all assuming he gets on the field - and if he does then at least 1 of the Jordan's was a waste. Did we really need another goddamned te?

I hope he's gronk. I'll eat crow. Will you eat crow when he sits on the bench for 4 years before signing with another team?

Apparently you cant run a "multiple offense" without 2604 te's.

txtx

Waterboy
He's why the Texans need to improve their back end and front-end pressure or else lose 10 games next year...

2018 average passer rating of all opposing QBs = 86.0
2018 average passer rating of all upcoming 2019 QBs = 97.6

(I have not looked up placekicker stats to see if we can rely on opponents' missed FGs as time expires)

Wolf12339

Waterboy
2 media guys who made a comparison BEFORE the Texans drafted him compare him to Todd Heap and Travis Kelce..

I didn't watch any TE's because I didn't think we were in the market for one.

I'll be watching tape, tonight. I'll let you know my thoughts later.
I didn't focus on that position either.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I made a joke saying OB was scouting the TE’s. I was hoping I wasn’t right. We already have 5 TE’s on the roster. lol

powda

I made a joke saying OB was scouting the TE’s. I was hoping I wasn’t right. We already have 5 TE’s on the roster. lol
I stopped joking about drafting te's when Kubiak left. Stupid me.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Does anyone remember O'Brien's answer , when asked why he took Akins so early, when everyone had him rated as an UDFA ? ....... He answered, "I just had a feeling about him" !
I have a feeling about Warring from reading his scouting reports and that is he’s going to frustrate the hell out of us (and more importantly Watson) by dropping perfectly thrown balls.

powda

So I have a theory. We're not being told something.

Perhaps one or more of our te's has a career threatening injury.

Maybe a new domestic violence video is about to be released?

Maybe the Pat's are at the trade table for a jordan?

Maybe following the season our te's made a humanitarian trip to a foreign land and are now being held hostage by rebels in Uganda?

Another te? Wtf.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
So I have a theory. We're not being told something.

Perhaps one or more of our te's has a career threatening injury.

Maybe a new domestic violence video is about to be released?

Maybe the Pat's are at the trade table for a jordan?

Maybe following the season our te's made a humanitarian trip to a foreign land and are now being held hostage by rebels in Uganda

Oh No .... rumors of waterboarding !

Another te? Wtf.
This one killed me .... I wasn't expecting it !

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
War Child? Keanu? Surfer Dude? What are we gonna call this guy?

He was on 610 and said that he has spent time working out with Deshaun in LA. Maybe this was Watson's pick? It's OK to give DW4 his own draft pick once a year, right?

Here's some of War Child's plays. Career stats? 51-631-8 over 19 games.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Kid shows potential .... if DW4 says he's the right right guy, I'd believe him. He's been throwing the ball to all levels of receivers for 20 years !

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The guy's a good pick for this round whether we need another TE or not. BPA and all that kind of stuff. I'd rather them gone with a CB or S, but this isn't a bad player.
Exactly,

This guy can stretch the middle of the field.

Putting him with a healthy Coutee/WFV and this offense could be very dangerous with an improved OL. Which Gaine has truly made an attempt to improve.

Although I would've gone in a different direction in this draft.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I think we are done on the OL.

LT. Howard/Scharping/Kalil
LG. Rankins
C. Martin/Mancz
RG. Fulton/Mancz
RT. Howard/Scharping

Davenport swing.

Time to trade down from 86 to the 4th and get that 4th + a 5th.

Safety/CB/iDL/RB/WR rest of the draft
What happened to Henderson and Kelemete?

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
I don't know where to put this, but I guess here is as good a place as any.

I haven't watched much college ball the last few years, so pretty much all of my comments are based off of a game or two, internet scouting, and reading the evaluations of people I trust. So, as always, take this with a grain of salt.

Tytus Howard intrigues me. He moves well, and seems pretty competitive. And I see @bah007 grades him pretty highly, which makes me feel pretty good about this pick. Still... I can't help but feel a bit worried. I think his technique needs work. I think he has done a good job adding a lot of mass in a short amount of time, but I think he now needs to convert that mass into functional playing strength. I think the potential is there for Howard to become a top 10-15 LT in the NFL, but I think it is going to take a while, if it ever happens. Call me cautious.

Lonnie Johnson... I hope I am wrong, but I just can't get excited for the pick. I don't think he last long in the NFL, though I'd obviously love to be wrong. I think he loses the ball in the air, and I think there is a lack of aggressiveness in his game that reflects in both run support and challenging catches. I am pretty down on this one.

Max Scharping is a player I have had a star next to for a while. I know some people are saying he went early, but he keeps his QBs on their feet, has size in spades, and moves better in pads than in athletic shorts. He is is more NFL-ready than Howard, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him start at RT by the end of the season. Where his ceiling is, though, is something I am not sure of.

Kahale Warring, where to start? I didn't watch any SDSU games. And when I started scouting TEs, I saw his production and size and assumed I was going to be looking at some run-blocking savant with limited athleticism. Boy, was I wrong. This kid gives me a good feeling. Sure, he is raw, but his athleticism is off-the-charts (and actually appears on the field, not just in shorts) and his competitive nature just jumps off the screen. Then I did some checking into his history- dude is an ATHLETE. Outside of hockey, I think he played them all. And while this may be a bit old-school, I love when you see prospects starring in other sports. Well-rounded athleticism can't be taught, and it translates well. If any of the Texans' picks are to become stars, Warring is the player I am putting my money on.

All in all, I am satisfied. 1 pick I am over-the-moon about, one pick I am happy about, one pick I am cautious-but-optimistic (due to reviews of people I trust), and just one pick that I dont think amounts to anything. B+/A- so far, I think, if that means anything (it doesnt).

The Texans have, what, 3 picks left? I'd like to see an interior DL and an edge guy.

PapaL

Loose Screw
I’d like a RB. Not sure who is left or there are any fits but I believe we need another set of legs back there. Preferably someone good at blitz pickup. Not sold on our current set of RBs. Too many questions on them.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I’d like a RB. Not sure who is left or there are any fits but I believe we need another set of legs back there. Preferably someone good at blitz pickup. Not sold on our current set of RBs. Too many questions on them.
I mocked Travis Homer to us round 6. Best pass blocking RB in the draft and good pass catching skills/ST gunner.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If I ever attend the Texans draft party I’m selling T-shirts that say ‘Friends don’t let friends draft Tight Ends’
Honestly didn't like the pick either. Then when NE drafted the other Alabama RB, who I wanted, right behind us I was really pissed.

Then I got to thinking. Maybe we took this guy just so NE wouldn't.

He's probably the Next Kelce... if he goes to NE. Hopefully he'll be our new OD here. But if we threw a monkey wrench in BB's plans, he's my favorite pick in this draft

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
Honestly didn't like the pick either. Then when NE drafted the other Alabama RB, who I wanted, right behind us I was really pissed.

Then I got to thinking. Maybe we took this guy just so NE wouldn't.

He's probably the Next Kelce... if he goes to NE. Hopefully he'll be our new OD here. But if we threw a monkey wrench in BB's plans, he's my favorite pick in this draft
Totally agree but it just sucks that based on what this offensive genius has shown over the last 5 seasons all he can do with a talented TE is keep him from other teams rather than utilize him in this wretched offense.

Well I'm an MSU fan and Texans are both in the market for a strong safety and a 3rd RB.

Khari Willis SS MSU : improved every single year at MSU and became very stout against the run and solid in coverage. Hoping he is there for our 5th or 6th pick.

LJ Scott RB MSU : had an up and down career at MSU and will have a better NFL career. Only reason I don't think Texans would be interested is because he's similar to what we have as far as size goes. I think they want someone smaller.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Totally agree but it just sucks that based on what this offensive genius has shown over the last 5 seasons all he can do with a talented TE is keep him from other teams rather than utilize him in this wretched offense.
Dude. It's only been 5 years. How do you know what BO'b can/can't do with a talented TE?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I don't know where to put this, but I guess here is as good a place as any.

I haven't watched much college ball the last few years, so pretty much all of my comments are based off of a game or two, internet scouting, and reading the evaluations of people I trust. So, as always, take this with a grain of salt.

Tytus Howard intrigues me. He moves well, and seems pretty competitive. And I see @bah007 grades him pretty highly, which makes me feel pretty good about this pick. Still... I can't help but feel a bit worried. I think his technique needs work. I think he has done a good job adding a lot of mass in a short amount of time, but I think he now needs to convert that mass into functional playing strength. I think the potential is there for Howard to become a top 10-15 LT in the NFL, but I think it is going to take a while, if it ever happens. Call me cautious.

Lonnie Johnson... I hope I am wrong, but I just can't get excited for the pick. I don't think he last long in the NFL, though I'd obviously love to be wrong. I think he loses the ball in the air, and I think there is a lack of aggressiveness in his game that reflects in both run support and challenging catches. I am pretty down on this one.

Max Scharping is a player I have had a star next to for a while. I know some people are saying he went early, but he keeps his QBs on their feet, has size in spades, and moves better in pads than in athletic shorts. He is is more NFL-ready than Howard, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him start at RT by the end of the season. Where his ceiling is, though, is something I am not sure of.

Kahale Warring, where to start? I didn't watch any SDSU games. And when I started scouting TEs, I saw his production and size and assumed I was going to be looking at some run-blocking savant with limited athleticism. Boy, was I wrong. This kid gives me a good feeling. Sure, he is raw, but his athleticism is off-the-charts (and actually appears on the field, not just in shorts) and his competitive nature just jumps off the screen. Then I did some checking into his history- dude is an ATHLETE. Outside of hockey, I think he played them all. And while this may be a bit old-school, I love when you see prospects starring in other sports. Well-rounded athleticism can't be taught, and it translates well. If any of the Texans' picks are to become stars, Warring is the player I am putting my money on.

All in all, I am satisfied. 1 pick I am over-the-moon about, one pick I am happy about, one pick I am cautious-but-optimistic (due to reviews of people I trust), and just one pick that I dont think amounts to anything. B+/A- so far, I think, if that means anything (it doesnt).

The Texans have, what, 3 picks left? I'd like to see an interior DL and an edge guy.
I wasn't initially on board with Howard because he may not start day1. However, dude has played qb and te as well and seems a natural T and has sparse experience so should grow exponentially.
Iow, he's pretty smart and has great upside.
Lonnie Johnson I hinestly did not research so haven't got a clue but most seem on board with him so not upset with this pick.
Max Scharping looks like a great prospect and many pundits liked him.
Kahale Warring is very promising. Another swiss army knife athlete with huge potential.
Not the way I had forseen the picks going but Gaine has shown he can pick them so I am going to wait and see with fingers crossed.