Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Could this draft have fallen any better for the Texans!?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Posted this in another thread , figure it deserves its own discussion.

Could this draft have fallen any better for a Texans team in dire need of CB / OT ? …. wow.

Sitting at pick 22 with no CB's chosen and only one of the top OT's off the board.

No Wr's off the board either … strange draft.

And as I posted that the Iggles take Dillard …

Still a load of talent available at this pick. Never thought they'd have their choice of the top WR , CB and 2nd(3rd?) OT off the board.

Ok draft Niks educate me on this pick...for sure thought Jawaan Taylor would be the pick there

The eagles caught them off guard so they just pulled the list of OT’s and read the first ones name that came up.

Ok draft Niks educate me on this pick...for sure thought Jawaan Taylor would be the pick there
I had to search 4 different top 100 lists for a decent breakdown.

This one had him at #50 -

Tytus Howard, OT
School: Alabama State | Year: Senior (RS)
Previous rank: 50

Howard has ideal height and length for the position. He played both left and right tackle in the games I studied. In pass protection, he explodes out of his stance and effortlessly covers up speed rushers off the edge. He keeps his hands in tight and steers opponents with relative ease. He has an immediate anchor versus bull rushers. When his hands get knocked away, he is quick to replace them. In the run game, he has the foot quicks and balance to cut off on the back side, and he always stays attached. He doesn't have a lot of knock-off power, but he's effective. Overall, the only real question about Howard involves the level of competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a reason they took a lower rated tackle rather than the higher rated ones that were available. I haven't a fcking clue as to what that reason is though.

Hope this dude works out, I really do, but I'm not excited about this pick.

I can’t bash the pick b/c I have no idea who the kid is & they got DW4 some protection...

Will wait and see on this one...but man if this guy doesn’t pan out....

I don‘t get it. Now I don‘t know or could evaluate any of these players - but this sounds like a „We are smarter than you“ pick. Those rarely work out. We need to get better on the line now - we take a project that many believed would be a third rounder as best (even saw a 7th round assessment...). I get not liking the other tackle prospects and passing on them - I am fine with that. But we have a huge hole at CB with none being selected so far. Going BPA is also always fine.

Oh and I don‘t get not trading up for Dillard if he is who they liked. In basically all the mock drafts he went before our pick. We could have gotten lucky, but with our situation, I wouldn‘t count on being lucky.

Getting the best CB and then a T project like Howard with one of our 2nd rounders would be fine. Like this, I don‘t get it.

I had to search 4 different top 100 lists for a decent breakdown.

This one had him at #50 -

Tytus Howard, OT
School: Alabama State | Year: Senior (RS)
Previous rank: 50

Howard has ideal height and length for the position. He played both left and right tackle in the games I studied. In pass protection, he explodes out of his stance and effortlessly covers up speed rushers off the edge. He keeps his hands in tight and steers opponents with relative ease. He has an immediate anchor versus bull rushers. When his hands get knocked away, he is quick to replace them. In the run game, he has the foot quicks and balance to cut off on the back side, and he always stays attached. He doesn't have a lot of knock-off power, but he's effective. Overall, the only real question about Howard involves the level of competition.

Davenport 2.0

Was okay with Dillard being taken because Jawaan Taylor was still there (my preferred choice). But its Tytus Howard...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The NFL.com profile isn’t all that impressive.
LZ wrote it.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tytus-howard?id=3219484f-5743-2152-432d-da3c484cb3f8

Weaknesses
Hand placement and hand strength needs a lot of work
Loses leverage and core strength with misplaced hands
Flailing outside hand carries no steam
Unable to generate push through leg drive due to lack of lower-body power
Gives ground when edge rushers double back into a bull rush
Will lean in his pass sets, looking for help to brace up
Needs to get hands off quicker and keep from giving away his chest
Needs to hit weights in order to add mass and weight
Lacks upper-body strength
Defaults to bear-hug mauling as base blocker

There's a reason they took a lower rated tackle rather than the higher rated ones that were available. I haven't a fcking clue as to what that reason is though.

Hope this dude works out, I really do, but I'm not excited about this pick.

FWIW Jayson Braddock is very high on Howard, thinks he could end up being best tackle in draft. Like I said, fwiw.

Even if he does work out, you can't get him later in the draft? Would it have not been better to have him AND say Greedy?

Both Ford & Jawaan Taylor are RT/guards. There's a big difference between playing RT & LT.
Thing about Howard is he's a small school project kinda guy like Davenport so anyway this pick tells us what they really think of Davenport and Kalil.
Damn I hate to be negative but this pick has a feeling of desperation about it.

Cody ford and Jawaan Taylor are still there. Gaine screwed up, he got outsmarted and outplayed in a chess game by a far superior GM. The Texans lack of aggressiveness is killing them. Instead of holding on to your late round day 3 project picks, trade UP and go and get another STARTER. To hell with depth, that’s what free agency is for. We need a starting CB, and starters on the OL. You cannot wait another 20-30 picks and expect to get one of the top 5 players still available. Aside from lock, the drafts best available are Ford, Taylor, Greedy, Baker, Murphy. Those guys will go before 54

Just no aggression, no sense of urgency. Typical Texans. They blew it. Jawaan Taylor needs to be the pick here
They blew it all right. Should have traded for #22 when Dillard was still available, preempting Eagles robbery.

Only thing that can make this better is trading jdc. I'll see the headline excited to see what we got and find out we traded him and a 2nd rd pick like the oz trade.

Not happy. I wanna be wrong but..

Not happy.

Screw you philly.

They blew it all right. Should have traded for #22 when Dillard was still available, preempting Eagles robbery.
You're probably right, but we'll have to see who they get tomorrow night with the pick they would not have if they traded up to 22. We'll never know, of course, what they would have given up to trade spots, but it's something to think about. Trading up would have cost us another player at some point.

Back