Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Contract year for 4 starters

I'm wondering if there is any reason relating to the salary cap why the Texans would sign any of these guys this season? Maybe to give whatever unused cap room as up front money payable now in order to reduce the cap hit in future years.

I think Seth Payne would have to have a major setback for the Texans to not re-sign him. The organization knows how important he is to the defense. Seth coming back is really a no brainer.

Capers has given a lot of props to Marcus Coleman for his transition to FS. If Coleman's play in camp carries over to the regular season, he's a candidate for an in-season extension.

Moran Norris is a Houston native and I'm sure would like to re-up with the Texans. FBs don't get a lot of attention in free agency so the Texans should have no problem in keeping Norris.

This is a big season for Corey Bradford to show the Texans organization that he deserves another contract. He's the kind of guy the Texans want on their team, but his production could probably be replaced by a 1st day draftee in 2005. Of course if Corey does have a good year, he might price himself out of a job with the Texans. Right now, I'm thinking Bradford has a season similar to '02 and will stay in Houston for a reduced rate.

It's very important to have a solid backup QB if a team wants to be a playoff contender. And don't forget that Tony Banks is in his last year of his contract. If Dave Ragone doesn't show that he can become the backup QB this preseason, the Texans may look to re-sign Tony.

How is Ragone doing? From the little that I've seen or read, it looks to me like he's having a good training camp. I was excited when we kept him last year, and I think he'll be a solid 2nd string QB. The problem is that he's less experienced than Carr...that's the advantage of having a veteran, Banks.

LiveForTheGame said:
I was excited when we kept him last year. . .
He was a 3rd round draft pick, of course we are going to keep him...

I have heard/read that Palmer tweaked with Ragone's release so he hasnt had that great of a camp...

Okay thanks...I was just going off very little information and saw in the scrimmage he was the leading passer for the Texans. Is he improving with the release?

Notable backups in their last year:

Banks
Faggins
DeLoach
McCree
Moses
Sears
Wells
Wright

There will be a mixture of RFAs and UFAs in this bunch. I'd have to look at the accrued years. Banks and Wright would be UFAs obviously, and Wells a RFA. DeLoach may have enough time to be a UFA. Faggins may not have enough time to be a RFA.

The print edition had a table showing the UFA's. Deloach was one of them, along with Banks, Sears, McCree, and Wright.

Faggins, Wells, and Moses I think would be RFA's.

Back