Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Coaching matters.

Well, he was a 1st year OC. He was bound to learn something. I think him giving CJ good route concepts to work off of that also protect him is the best learning he's done by far. Even with the continuous o-line shuffling, the sacks and hits on CJ have come down significantly over the last 2 games. A big part of that has been Slowik and his playcalling.

The thing too is, if Slowik continues to show promise, he'll be gone in another year or 2 for a HC gig. Ironically, there were some steelers fans who wanted him for the OC back before they hired Canada...At least that's what is alleged in this thread here after we beat that ass Sunday.

The thing too is, if Slowik continues to show promise, he'll be gone in another year or 2 for a HC gig. Ironically, there were some steelers fans who wanted him for the OC back before they hired Canada...At least that's what is alleged in this thread here after we beat that ass Sunday.
Ok, seems like the low s2 score is figuring out how to move in the pocket.

Can’t help but have confidence that the process DeMeco has set out in hiring his staff and the tree that he has access to will mean a quality replacement can be hired when the time comes. Slowick, I’ve never known a coordinator make such huge improvement, I can’t have been the only one who was worried by the performance in pre season, and the opening game of the season with both the play calling, and the OL play, but each week it seems like what looked a weakness has been made a strength.
The OL coaching looks amazing, the WR room looked like a whole lot of potential but it looks like that potential is being realised, the coaching is plug and play on O under a Shanny system.

Funny thing is, it was always a question of whether Kubiak could get the D coached well, and it was actually the Houston connection that allowed the McNairs to force Wade on him, DeMeco isn’t getting hired away to a higher level job, but there’s plenty of talent coming off the Shanahan tree to replace offensive losses.

I’ve been saying Coaching Matters for a long time.
Unless we're talking about Mills.

Yeah, he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I get it. What we've been arguing is why? Doesn't make sense to go from where he left off his rookie season to what we saw last season. In college he was known to be pretty accurate. As a rookie he showed to be accurate enough. Last year he looked like Jeff Driskel. That doesn't make sense.

Wasn't a franchise QB. I agree with you. But I think there's more to his drop in accuracy.

Reactions: JB

Yeah, he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I get it. What we've been arguing is why? Doesn't make sense to go from where he left off his rookie season to what we saw last season. In college he was known to be pretty accurate. As a rookie he showed to be accurate enough. Last year he looked like Jeff Driskel. That doesn't make sense.

Wasn't a franchise QB. I agree with you. But I think there's more to his drop in accuracy.
Mills was anything but accurate in college.

In fact, he has never been accurate.
I've already went through his rookie stats many times.
His numbers were aided by many reasons:
Some garbage time; early too.
Some of the worse defenses in the league (or injured or Covid related.)

Yet, he was still ranked 31st by NFL.com

I never understood what his supporters saw in him.

None of the other units on offense was ranked that low.

I wasn’t talking about Mills. Just saying coaching is very important to a teams success.

I wasn’t talking about Mills. Just saying coaching is very important to a teams success.
I agree with you, it has been YEARS since the Texans have actually had coaches that could coach coach up talent. We've had players drafted or come here that have had a ton of talent and if they werent naturally gifted athletes that propelled them to super star status...then they didnt amount to much, but then would move on to another team and flourish.

I think w/ this new coaching staff the tides have turned and we have competent coaches that can take and mold good players to great players and great talent to exceptional talent. Time will tell.

Coaching matters, sure. But talent matters too.

Back