Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

"Coach convinced QB's technique fails under stress"

not sure, Carr gets questioned on this board for not being a leader, his "hissy" fit IMO shows that he wants to exceed and expects others around him to exceed.

I would expect that after a benching on the previous week.

So, it's settled then. In order to be an effective leader for this team, Carr needs to throw as many "hissy fits" as possible. :ok:

Why didn't the Carr haters just say so? idonno:

He was talking about the QB's I mentioned.

One thing I did forget to mention in that reply was that if I were to go back and redo history, I would have sit Carr for that first year or so. More than the sidearm stuff that many of us worried about, the fact that he is still having footwork and technique issues so late leads me to believe that good footwork never became automatic. As I think it out, the sidearm stuff may even be related to footwork stuff, but I am not QB coach.

not sure, Carr gets questioned on this board for not being a leader, his "hissy" fit IMO shows that he wants to exceed and expects others around him to exceed.

I would expect that after a benching on the previous week.

Carr will never be an effective leader until he cuts his mistakes to a minimum. It's hard to expect someone to play better for you, if you keep botching things.

In his 5th year, Carr has these problems--

1) can not read defenses
2) has bad foot work
3) poor pocket presence/management
4) weak verticle passing game
5) side arm delivery
6) 'head/mental' issues
7) turn over issues

I'm personally looking forward to Kubiak 'turning' Carr 'around,' so he can lead the Texans to the 'big' game!!:cowboy1:

I believe all these problems are due to the poor poor coaching that the Texans offensive staff provided Carr with. He seems to be attempting to make himself better and doing everything he can now to change because the HEAD COACH was telling him he was doing things all wrong!! Now what if the previous HEAD COACH was telling Carr that he too was doing things RIGHT and to keep doing them but we just need to work on our timing, route running, accuracy, etc?? It seems like from everything I have read the Texans 1st staff failed Carr miserably and that his problems are directly their fault! If they were good coaches and told him that he was moving his feet wrong or making the wrong progressions then I feel from what I have heard of Carr's work ethic he would ask and work on what they told him to do! I like Kubiak's confidence in Carr and how he seems to firmly believe that Carr can become a dominant qb in this league, and you know what as long as Kubiak believes this, then I too as a Texans fan will believe it! Kubiak's record with top tier qb's and the success those qb's under him had makes me look foreward to the day when it all clicks for Carr and his shoots to the top tier of the qb pack and our team becomes a powerhouse in this league!

Pretty fair analysis, although I might quibble a bit on the details. I know I will get slammed for this, but I have been wanting to say this since Sunday, so here goes.

If Sage had started the last two games start to finsh, this team would be 4-4, and we would be in the playoff hunt. With Carr, we are 2-6, and going nowhere. I have never seen a QB get 5 full years at one stop to prove himself. Name one other QB anywhere that has gotten 5 full years to prove he can just be a decent QB. Not even great, just decent. Name one that has had this much time with one team. I dare ya to try. Carr has proven he will never lead this particular team anywhere. Until Kubes can be honest with himself, and forget about his ego, this team is stuck in this hellish black hole we are in.

4-4 with Sage? When pigs fly! C'mon man! Quit sipping hte koolaid!

Sage came in down three scores against a team that was in a dead prevent defense. Big frickin' deal. He completes a few passes.

The most popular guy on a losing team is always the backup quarterback.

Carr has a lot of inherent flaws in his mechanics. Everyone knows that, and contrary to much of the blame being laid around, those poor mechanics were evident years before he ever fell under the previous regime's tutelage. The Cape Asserley crew, in their infinent wisdom, believed they could work around those flaws and he could be effective. Obviously, it was an abject failure.

Kubiak comes in and starts to pick apart Carr's game and make him make adjustments. Lo and behold, Carr starts looking more like a quality NFL QB. Kubiak has already helped Carr's footwork and pace at which he plays. He played in warp speed against the Titans, looked like garbage, and was benched because of it. Although I thought the benching was poorly timed, he sent the message. Carr comes back last week and shows improvement again though comes up short. Now kubiak starts talking about the remaining deficiencies and not showing that he is happy yet with David's play or development. I love it. Kubiak is finally holding the kid accountable for his job.

We have to realize that we finally got a coach who is working to improve Carr and polish the rough edges. We have to be patient as fans. Carr is basically a 1st or 2nd year player as far as his own development goes. It's a sad reality but still its reality. At least Kubiak is working on the problems which is more than can be said for the previous regime or Carr himself for that matter.

Go Kubiak Go

Doug from The Woodlands

I wouldn't mind drafting a QB 3rd or 4th round to groom, I'm not a Carr basher but I like an insurance policy and a QB for Kubiak to call his own. I just wonder what he could do with a QB if he had him from the start.

It is also worth noting that the QB position is played totally differently under the WCO. His footwork should be tied to his reads and the WR routes. He's really learning how to play the QB position all over again. It's totally different from Palmer's offense (on paper at least).

...well, there are no guarantees Carr will 'turn the corner,' as even Kubiak has had a couple that 'crashed and burned.' It's going to be interesting to see how long Carr's 'rope' is as he shows some form of improvement every week but we still are not at a level where his 'play' can lead us to wins. I mean, are we talking this year and next or even longer?

Too, speaking of time, I'm sure Kubiak knows when to say, 'enough is enough.' "Next..."...doesn't he?:confused:

Interesting that apparently the Jags are ready to dump Garrard and pull the plug on Leftwich after 4 years, but we are still plugging away with Carr after 5 years. They realize they won't win big with either. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Carr gets an 8 million ext, and free reign on the starters job. :stirpot:

unfortunately after the season ends is when he will say enough is enough. IMO Carr was ruined by a bad coach and probably too hard to fix for kubiak.

I probably sound like a broken record but my biggest fear with Carr has always that there was just too much accumulated damage from the previous 4 years to recover from. He's made some amazing strides forward, much quicker than I expected. Kubiak has done an amazing reclamation project so far... if he thinks he can continue to improve Carr, then I'm all for him continuing. But if he thinks we need to go in another direction... I'd love to see him get his hands on a rookie and develop them from scratch and have Carr be a caretaker for a couple of years.

Interesting that apparently the Jags are ready to dump Garrard and pull the plug on Leftwich after 4 years, but we are still plugging away with Carr after 5 years. They realize they won't win big with either. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Carr gets an 8 million ext, and free reign on the starters job. :stirpot:

Byron Leftwhich- Has a Hall of Fame HB, had a Hall of Fame WR in Jimmy Smith, to go a long with a 6-6 WR that runs a 4.3 Matt Jones, great Running game, tall WRs, a Vetran TE. AND A GREAT Defense!!!!! Since he has been there.

David Carr- Starts out on a expantion team!!!!!!! Gets drafted by the worst team in the NFL, no history in the Franchise, had one of the worst QB coaches in the league for 4 years. His own QB coach turned him into a scrambling QB because the Line was so bad (bad is the nice way to put it) when in college he was used to throwing the ball like Carson Palmer. Had a good Defense 1 year and that was when the Offense was in its 1st year yeppe! Corey Bradford/Jabar Gaffney- Here Dave these are your guys?????????.........Draft Andre GREAT! BUT they rolled coverage to his side for 2 years and no other WRs could make plays when they had to. Had a good running game BUT could not protect the QB.
FINALLY after 4 years of QB hell! He gets a QB coach that knows what the heck he is doing and a great Football mind in Gary Kubiak. ANd when he tells me that he is going to push Carr and make him a great QB then I believe him because his track record speaks for itself.

Yea there sircumstances are the same, give me a break, Carr would have won a Super Bowl with Jags by now.

The Fresno Principle is a theory originated by Dr. Kaiser J. Toro which states that Quarterbacks within the National Collegiate Athletic Association advance to their highest level of competence, are then promoted to a level where they are incompetent, and then stay in that position.

Yea there sircumstances are the same, give me a break, Carr would have won a Super Bowl with Jags by now.

OK and I can throw a football 90 yards in the air .

Here it goes again....all this bashing of David Carr...lol. David Carr is NOT the only person that makes up the offense. It seems that the failings of the offense all seem to be the QB's fault. There was a statement earlier about Bradshaw's numbers and how they compared to todays QB's (Couldn't find it to quote it). First off...as it was stated in a follow up post, the passing game was not near as prevalent as it is today. Second...and this one is a shocker....The Steelers had an offense that depended on the TEAM...not just Bradshaw!!

I could give a rat's butt if the QB is Carr or Sage...I think Kubes has been around long enough to recognize the qualities he needs in a QB that will develop to his system. And if the man chooses Carr, then so be it. I think we've all seen that he isn't afraid to do what needs to be done for the team. Yes, I agree that Carr has quite a few kinks to be worked out, and according to the coaches, this is coming along nicely. Maybe not as quick as some of them may like...certainly not quick enough for some of the fans...but coming along nonetheless. I think the correct word here, as was mentioned previously, is "deprogram" DC. Basically, Kubiak needs to have DC "unlearn" the stuff he learned under Capers regime, and have him learn to do it his way.

Back