Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[CHRONIC] Original Texan Pitts wants to stay on team

Texans34Life

I BLEED TEXANS!
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6902127.html

One Texans free agent who has remained in the background is guard Chester Pitts.

Receiver Kevin Walter and punter Matt Turk have re-signed and cornerback Dunta Robinson has cast his lot with Atlanta; Pitts is watching, waiting and recovering from major knee surgery.

“I definitely want to stay, but it's part of the business,” Pitts said. “I've known for a while (leaving is) a possibility. I've been here for eight years, and Houston's my home, but it's the nature of the beast.”

Pitts, an original Texan, started 114 consecutive games — every one in team history — until he blew out his knee in the second game last season.

“It's been wonderful for me here,” he said. “There's been some talk (with the Texans), but I wanted to see what is out there in the free-agent world for me. I've had four or five teams show interest, but nothing to where I had to jump on it. I should be 100 percent between May 1 and June 1. I don't think I want to wait that long to sign.”

Even though Kasey Studdard played well in his place last season, Pitts hasn't given up on returning.

“I can't say I won't be back for sure because you never know how things are going to work out,” he said. “I won't know I'm not coming back for sure until I sign with another team. We'll just have to wait and see.

“I'm 30 years old, but I don't have the mileage on me that others have from playing the game from the time they're 6 years old. I don't feel worn down. I feel real good.”

Pitts cleaned out his locker recently.

“When your contract expires, it's not your locker anymore,” he said.

Only time will tell if he gets that locker back.

this is actually very good news. i was worried other team's would covet him more than we thought. sounds like teams are turned off by the injury last year and want to wait till he is 100%. maybe the Texans could bring him back at a team-friendly contract due to his unknown status. Sounds like he wants to be here.

once i had heard he cleaned his locker out, i figured he was gone for sure. thats a bad sign.

always been a big Chester guy.

I think it'd be real nice if he could finish out his careear here as a Texan in the playoffs. :)

Pitts is/was my favourite Texan. I really wanted him to be the first career long Texan who retires as a Texan.

C'mon Rick get it done!

It is in both Chester and the Texans' best interest to get him to the point he can pass a physical and then get a deal done.

I thought he may join Detroit to hang with E Salaam.

Salaam finished last season as a Texan.

I've always been on the re-sign Pitts bandwagon. I think he still has a full tank and once fully healthy there isn't a doubt in my mind that he'd beat Studdard out for his position.

Salaam finished last season as a Texan.

I've always been on the re-sign Pitts bandwagon. I think he still has a full tank and once fully healthy there isn't a doubt in my mind that he'd beat Studdard out for his position.

Is Salaam still with us then? I mean that's pretty good back up right there, for guard and maybe even for tackle.

Chester made a significant point about himself when he talked about how he felt stating that he hasn't been playing since he was 6 years old so he doesn't have as much wear and tear as the other guys.

I hope we can sign Pitts to a friendly contract both fair to the Texans and himself. It appears there hasn't been overwhelming interest in him from other teams coupled with the fact he'd like to stay in Houston, I can see something getting done after the draft. If we don't come away with an OG they feel comfortable with, I think we re-sign Pitts. Pitts is one of my favorite players.

We were lucky in 2008 that all our linemen played together the entire season, then in 2009 we found out what happens when one... or multiple starters get injured. Assuming Pitts is healthy I think he's penciled in as the starter because he's better than Studdard right now (not because of the contract). If not, I think he's quality depth and we know all too well that this is extremely important.

I would be thrilled with an offseason of re-signing Pitts, Walter, DelJuan and Pollard, getting Demeco signed to a longterm deal, picking up Leigh Bodden to replace Dunta. If you can add another veteran OG and preferably a decent RB like Fargas or someone who gets cut closer to the season... we'd of made out like bandits. Then we've got the draft which looks really deep in multiple positions that we want. :kingkong:

I thought he may join Detroit to hang with E Salaam.

Salaam came back to the Texans this past year. Detroit cut him midway through the season and he signed a prorated 1 year deal with the Texans. Both Pitts and Salaam are unrestricted free agents. I'd love to see them both on the Texans next year! :)

Chester Pitts and Ephraim Salaam Super Bowl Ad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPSqV6RnbrA

Wendy's Commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR8FvEIyZ9A

On Ellen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMQV1TTbDP4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pElAExMqTh4

Good times, good times...

Is it possible that the Texans believe the return rate for this type of injury is very IFFY? Otherwise, I can't see why the F.O. would not be anxious to sign him unless he is expecting a bigger pay day than they can justify. Everyone generally agrees that guard and center were weak points in the OL last year and why would they let a contributor at OG and OT walk?

wouldn't mind a resign because OG is a barren wasteland on this team. But a team friendly one, not a player friendly one. I think it's up to Pitts to say he wants to play team ball. It sucks for him a little but OG isn't a glamour position, he's not a big time player and he's off an injury. Never thought he was the problem with the OL though.

Pitts was on the radio yesterday afternoon around 3pm on 610am and he said then that he hoped to have something done within the next couple of days and look for it to be a one year deal. The reason for the one year deal was to prove that his knee was healthy and he was back to his old self. Plus he was about a month and half ahead of schedule.

He feels that if his contract was up 2 years ago instead of this year that he would be "sitting pretty" financially but its part of the business.

After listening to him, I feel that Chester will finish his career as a Texan!

Podcast for you to listen from his interview
http://www.sportsradio610.com/N-D--Kalu---Kyle-Kennedy/6208304

That's great if it comes to pass. Always been a big Chester fan. the guy is just good people, works hard, classy, good personality on and off the field. A clean player who plays hard every snap, great background story, smart. I mean what else can you ask for as a fan?

I just hope he comes back and plays at/near his former self as I feel he easily beats out Studdard in that case, and as a worst case I would like him on the team as a quality backup even if he can't go 100% on all snaps for 16 games due to the injury.

Pitts was on the radio yesterday afternoon around 3pm on 610am and he said then that he hoped to have something done within the next couple of days and look for it to be a one year deal. The reason for the one year deal was to prove that his knee was healthy and he was back to his old self. Plus he was about a month and half ahead of schedule.

He feels that if his contract was up 2 years ago instead of this year that he would be "sitting pretty" financially but its part of the business.

After listening to him, I feel that Chester will finish his career as a Texan!

Podcast for you to listen from his interview
http://www.sportsradio610.com/N-D--Kalu---Kyle-Kennedy/6208304

Great news and thanks for the info!

What I've been hearing on the radio though is that Chester wants to start - and that's what might push him out of Houston?

Oh, and Chester - still mad about that crappy energy saving light bulb I got at training camp like 5 years ago.

Sadly, it is still DIMLY lighting my family room...

If I remember correctly Chester's last contract paid him at a LT rate and was fairly substantial as he was then moved to LG full time. On the ND Kalu show he said he was willing to sign in Houston for less but pretty sure I heard him say he needs another 2-3 months to heal.

Pitts/Studdard/draft pick Marshall Newhouse from TCU
Atogwe FS in free agency
Bodden Cb in """"""""""

That would make the draft even more interesting.

Return from microfracture surgery is very iffy.

Cak,

You’re correct about the fact that microsurgery of the knee can be “iffy.” But there is possibly a brighter side to Pitts' picture.

The procedure in the past was applied indiscriminately to cases of wide spread arthritis with diffuse cartilaginous breakdown, ala. DDW. All of these cases resulted in poor results. Today, reputable orthopedic surgeons will tend to only use it in cases of very limited traumatic cartilage defects. The main concern is that the procedure does not create hyaline cartilage normally found on joint surfaces. Instead it creates fibrocartilage which is simply modified scar tissue which doesn’t have the same strength and other important properties for joint coverage. And there still remains an “iffy” factor.............how well will it stand up over time?

If isolated cartilage damage was created by meniscus avulsion or loose meniscus fragments gouging the joint surface, both which can cause significant pain and swelling as in Pitts case (remember he had arthroscopic meniscus surgery with the microfracture surgery), and it was truly a small area, then he just might have a full recovery.............leaving again only the question of “How well will it stand up over time?”

I believe Pitts has been a plus to this team, and with a little bit of luck, has a chance to come back, with a season's rest and a more experienced supporting cast, to make a bigger impact than before.

Cak,

You’re correct about the fact that microsurgery of the knee can be “iffy.” But there is possibly a brighter side to Pitts' picture.

I believe Pitts has been a plus to this team, and with a little bit of luck, has a chance to come back, with a season's rest and a more experienced supporting cast, to make a bigger impact than before.

Thanks for the info. I hope he makes it back and is signed by the Texans as well. He's right on the cusp of pro-bowler and I'd like to see him get there in a Texans' uniform.

Cak,

The procedure in the past was applied indiscriminately to cases of wide spread arthritis with diffuse cartilaginous breakdown, ala. DDW. All of these cases resulted in poor results. Today, reputable orthopedic surgeons will tend to only use it in cases of very limited traumatic cartilage defects. The main concern is that the procedure does not create hyaline cartilage normally found on joint surfaces. Instead it creates fibrocartilage which is simply modified scar tissue which doesn’t have the same strength and other important properties for joint coverage. And there still remains an “iffy” factor.............how well will it stand up over time?

If isolated cartilage damage was created by meniscus avulsion or loose meniscus fragments gouging the joint surface, both which can cause significant pain and swelling as in Pitts case (remember he had arthroscopic meniscus surgery with the microfracture surgery), and it was truly a small area, then he just might have a full recovery.............leaving again only the question of “How well will it stand up over time?”

Are you a doctor?

If you want to send good wishes to Chester, here's his twitter account. It's not verified, but I'm pretty sure it is his...

@chester_pitts

once i had heard he cleaned his locker out, i figured he was gone for sure. thats a bad sign.

He showed me his "locker" contents in the trunk of his car the night he left,,,was pretty sad to see it to say the least,,,hopefully its just a formality and he'll be back to refill the same locker!

That gives me hope. I'm not a Studdard basher, but in my eyes he's a backup. Nothing more or less. If the Texans could get another solid year or two out of Pitts while developing a young lineman, that would be fantastic. More than anything, I want to see Pitts in a Texan uniform during their 1st playoff game. He's earned it.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CloakNNNdagger again

I'll get back to you. You're the best resource we have on this website.

Back