Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[CHRONIC] Never too soon to take peek at next season

Texans34Life

I BLEED TEXANS!
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6859684.html

I'm going to answer the questions I hear the most.

It's too early to say if the Texans are going to make the playoffs. There's been no draft or free agency, no designating franchise or transition players. We don't know who they're letting go or who they're re-signing. No one's been injured in camp or preseason. But based on the way they've improved under Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith, I believe they will be a legitimate playoff contender.

I don't see any reason Kubiak will not be the coach in 2011 unless there's a lockout by the owners. He signed a new three-year contract that expires after the 2012 season, so like it or not, there's a good chance he'll be the coach for the next three seasons.

On paper, the schedule is tougher, but each year, because of free agency and the draft, a lot of teams aren't as good or bad as we think they'll be. It's way too early to say the Texans will have a worse record because their schedule is more difficult.

Schaub stayed healthy last season and threw for an NFL-best 4,770 yards. He earned a lot of respect around the league. There's no reason to think he can't stay healthy .
New RB a priority

I can't find anybody to tell me exactly what happened to Slaton in his second season. He didn't run well from the get-go. He had the fumble problem before suffering the neck injury that required surgery.

Running back is a high priority. Not one who's on his last legs like LaDainian Tomlimson. The Texans tried that with Ahman Green, and look at the results. They want a young, hungry back who fits their style. I think they'll get him in the first two rounds.

If they don't franchise Dunta Robinson again, I think there's an owner out there — a big spender like Dan Snyder or Paul Allen — who'll give him the kind of guaranteed money he wants. If that happens, cornerback becomes an immediate priority in the draft.

Fans ask all the time if McNair will sign a big-name free agent. Though he did spend $35 million on Antonio Smith last season, McNair won't spend money foolishly like Snyder or Al Davis or one of the other owners who believe the fast track to success is through free agency.

Look at the biggest moneymakers in free agency last season and check out how poorly they and their teams performed. Rick Smith and Kubiak may kick the tires on some high-priced free agents, but ultimately, they won't blow the big bucks on underachievers looking for one last grab at the gold.
Draft leanings

As for the first-round pick, it depends on what happens to Robinson. They could take a cornerback, running back, defensive tackle or free safety in the first round. I think they'll draft the highest-rated player at a need position.

With only reading the quoted part, my guess it was written by McClain and it answers absolutely nothing that we don't already know. What kind of a peek is that?

With only reading the quoted part, my guess it was written by McClain and it answers absolutely nothing that we don't already know. What kind of a peek is that?

I actually read the article before this thread was started and I left it thinking the same thing. It was a 'WTF was that about' moment for me.

No different than the pathetic excuse for a chat he has every now and then. The last time I took the time to read through one of those it felt like when you walk through a random fart fog and say to yourself "good Lord! WTF was that?!"

According to his expert analysis, the Texans could do something or not do something, and after than we may or may not be successful. In regards to draft, the Texans will draft the best player they want on their team.

One word describes this article: Duh.

I actually read the article before this thread was started and I left it thinking the same thing. It was a 'WTF was that about' moment for me.

No different than the pathetic excuse for a chat he has every now and then. The last time I took the time to read through one of those it felt like when you walk through a random fart fog and say to yourself "good Lord! WTF was that?!"

:goodpost: That made me laugh. Rep sir.

It still amazes me that the Chronicle is in business at all... I'm guessing there are alot of old farts that subscribe to it?

It still amazes me that the Chronicle is in business at all... I'm guessing there are alot of old farts that subscribe to it?

Ever see the Sunday classifieds? Realtors and Employers must pay a pretty penny to keep that fish wrap in business.

You just had to play the "old fart" card didn't you? Just had to make it personal and hurt my feelings. I save enough on grocery coupons to pay for the Chronicle and then some. Oh wait... now I am the coupon saving old fart.
:bat:

Most. Useless. Article. Ever!

This. Really McClain, what hard hitting info. What RBs might be looked at, etc.? This will be his matra...radio, print, etc for the next 3 months. Just like his wheezing explanation for months that the Texans couldn't blitz because of their personnel....oh, until they were successful and then he had to find another mantra.

I'm writing an article right now. Here are the basics

--If all the teams in the league improve their personnel through FA or the draft then they should improve over last year. On top of that it has been shown that a healthy QB helps most teams. I'm not sure what players teams like but I bet some team might like a CB. If the lockout happens, the coach will still be the coach in name that year.

I'm filling in blanks right now like what happens if a guy looks really, really, good for a team.

Thanks

Running back is a high priority. Not one who's on his last legs like LaDainian Tomlimson. The Texans tried that with Ahman Green, and look at the results. They want a young, hungry back who fits their style. I think they'll get him in the first two rounds.

It seems to me McClain's reporting has changed in the Kubiak era. Previously he would state something like the above with an indication he had spoken to a league expert or someone with the Texans. Now it is virtually all unattributed. I think that's a function of his not getting anything meaningful from the Texans. Much more now he seems to be relying on his own analysis and that has never been his strength.

It seems to me McClain's reporting has changed in the Kubiak era. Previously he would state something like the above with an indication he had spoken to a league expert or someone with the Texans. Now it is virtually all unattributed. I think that's a function of his not getting anything meaningful from the Texans. Much more now he seems to be relying on his own analysis and that has never been his strength.

One could even say that Kubiak doesn't respect the Chronicle that much when it comes to giving out info on the Texans.

I'm just spit balling here but if I were Kubiak and I read the Chronicle I'd think both McClain and Justice were Titans marks, and why would I want to give info out to people who write so highly about my opponents.

You just had to play the "old fart" card didn't you? Just had to make it personal and hurt my feelings. I save enough on grocery coupons to pay for the Chronicle and then some. Oh wait... now I am the coupon saving old fart.
:bat:

Actually I was thinking about Thorn, but no worries, you qualify too ;)

I find it funny that the best interview with GK I can think off was made by that Denver radio station... sad... but long live the interweb! :)

This is one OLD LADY fart who wouldn't read the Chron if it was given to me!! I detest that ragsheet!!

Draft leanings
As for the first-round pick, it depends on what happens to Robinson. They could take a cornerback, running back, defensive tackle or free safety in the first round. I think they'll draft the highest-rated player at a need position.
While I agree with the above, I would have thought guard/center would have been on the list given our injuries and, in my opinion, weakness at the position.

This. Really McClain, what hard hitting info. What RBs might be looked at, etc.?
That would be an easy answer. If Bruce Matthews had a son or nephew that played running back.

John McClain said:
Running back is a high priority. Not one who's on his last legs like LaDainian Tomlimson.
I was lukewarm to a LT signing, before. Now, I'm dying for the Texans to sign Tomlinson.

Tomlimson? Are things so bad at the Chronic that they can't afford copy editors?

That would be an easy answer. If Bruce Matthews had a son or nephew that played running back.

I was lukewarm to a LT signing, before. Now, I'm dying for the Texans to sign Tomlinson.

Tomlimson? Are things so bad at the Chronic that they can't afford copy editors?

I'd say that a good portion of their budget must go twoards feeding "The General".

One could even say that Kubiak doesn't respect the Chronicle that much when it comes to giving out info on the Texans.

I'm just spit balling here but if I were Kubiak and I read the Chronicle I'd think both McClain and Justice were Titans marks, and why would I want to give info out to people who write so highly about my opponents.

I don't think it has anything to do with McClain personally. I think this head coach runs the ship just like a pirate captain. One captain...asst coaches, GM, owner...but only one captain. He gets out in front of the media and gives it his best ah shucks Opie impression.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opie_Taylor
This captain holds the cards very close to the vest. I'm still trying to decide just how ruthless he truly is.

Back