Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Chron] DeMeco Ryans to be mic'd up on defense

b0ng

Bad Hombre
Thought you DeMeco Ryans fans (Which is probably everybody) would like this. Off-season fluff, but cool none the less.

Link Here
Chron said:
Pro Bowl linebacker DeMeco Ryans isn't used to hearing voices in his helmet. But that's about to change.

When Ryans takes the field next fall, he will be the Texans player designated to wear the new defensive transmitter, which was approved by the NFL's head coaches this offseason.

Watchout Peyton. There's a new audible caller on the field now.

Good question. CC Brown perhaps? The staff seems to think highly of him. Maybe Mario?

That's why I mentioned Mario. I thought he called D-line audibles/plays/whatever at some point last season. Plus, he's a 3-down end I think.

I know C.C. is in on a lot of snaps, but I just don't know how that would work. I would think you would want your most intelligent player with the mic in his helmet, even though it's just to call out plays. I have no idea.

Considering DeMeco will be on the field unless *knocks hard on wood* he gets injured, I would suspect that his replacement would have the the back-up receiver in their helmet. I don't think you can have two on the field at the same time, therefore DeMeco and CC could never be on the field at the same time....

Just a thought.....

Bottom line, here's to hoping we never, ever have to find out.....

That's why I mentioned Mario. I thought he called D-line audibles/plays/whatever at some point last season. Plus, he's a 3-down end I think.

I know C.C. is in on a lot of snaps, but I just don't know how that would work. I would think you would want your most intelligent player with the mic in his helmet, even though it's just to call out plays. I have no idea.

I'm not sure if they'd even have another player in there to call the plays. Would Mario or CC (or whoever it would be) also have a mic in their helmet, but could only be turned on when Demeco isn't in the game? Maybe they'll just go back to using hand signals on the few snaps that Demeco is out.

There will be 2 helmets that have mic's on defense, but only one can be on the field at a time. So if the worst thing possible happens, I don't know who it would be. Maybe they let "Smooth" Will Demps have the other one in case of emergency. You never know.

Why can't they just leave these boys alone and let them CONCENTRATE on football!! Damn, I miss the good old days when players just went out there and kicked the snot out of each other. Don't mind me, just reminising. (If I spelled that wrong, I don't care!):soapbox: :shetexan:

I thought the interesting point of the article was the technical one.

Quarterbacks already have some issues with the system working, and hopefully they don't get involved with much contact.

How is this system going to working after DeMeco busts people up all game?

I believe in time Adibi will be the backup miked player. Hes very inteligent and was a team leader in college. Cant wait to see him lined up next to Demeco. :fans:

I believe in time Adibi will be the backup miked player. Hes very inteligent and was a team leader in college. Cant wait to see him lined up next to Demeco. :fans:

I could see that. They could just as easily give the mic to the WILL or SAM if they are football smart. Doesn't have to be just the backup MIKE. :P

If DeMeco is out and Morlon Greenwood (although people want him gone) is still starting........my vote goes to Morlon Greenwood for the backup Mic player. After all, it's DeMeco and Greenwood who stay hours after practice together to hit up the film room.........until another player steps up and is willing to put in that extra work, I'll give it to the guy who goes over film day in and day out with DeMeco.

We need to hack Peyton's helmet radio so that it goes directly to DeMeco's.

Either way Manning is gunna be getting his arse handed to him by the defense we are building....

:fans:

Back