Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cherry Picking Chad Reuter's 5 Round Mock Draft Nfl.com

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Decided to do a fun little exercise based on Chad Reuter's recent 5 round mock draft on nfl.com

I disagree in a couple spots on where he values players which i'll get to further down. Also, I think our first 3rd round selection is a prime trade down spot to acquire an extra 5th or maybe even a 4th round selection.

Link to Reuter's mock draft if you would like to cherry pick as well:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000925097/article/fiveround-mock-draft-saints-trade-up-for-baker-mayfield

With the 68th overall pick ideally I would trade down with Miami for their 3rd (73) and 2nd 4th round selection (131). To make this i'll i'd add the last two 6th round picks to the deal (211 and 214). According to drafttek trade value chart ( https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp ) this is a doable point projection (262 pts for Houston and 266 for Miami). Assuming they are going after a QB (Mason Rudolph who went 71st overall to Broncos in this mock, I think they'll pay the premium.

Here we go:

3rd round:

73rd overall (acquired in MIA trade): Braden Smith OG Auburn - Big strong RG to win the short yardage battles and keep DL from collapsing the pocket on our franchise QB. Highly decorated player who was a 1st team All American this past season. This selection solidifies the interior OL with our offseason moves and adds much needed quality depth to the OL if he doesn't win a starting job outright. Also gives flexibility to trade Jeff Allen or move him to OT full time. *went 78 overall in Reuter's mock*

80th overall: Shaquem Griffin LB UCF - Versatile chess piece for RAC to deploy all over the field. Also a special teams demon to further makeover that unit. Can take Eddie Pleasant's role as 3rd safety in certain packages or could be a rush LB. Can cover backs and TEs and make plays sideline to sideline. Thinking more long term makes signing Mckinney to a high dollar extension a lower priority having another talented LB on a rookie contract (albeit not Mckinney's role). Need to prioritize how to allocate cap dollars with Clowney/Mercilus extensions coming up amongst others. *went 85 overall in Reuter's mock*

98th overall: Dalton Schultz TE Stanford - Maybe the biggest oversight I see in this mock is Schultz not even taken in the first 5 rounds! I see that as too unlikely a scenario so I have taken him here. A favorite on this forum for being one of the only TEs coming into the league that embraces being a stud blocker, Schultz immediately upgrades the running game and assists the OL in keeping DW4 clean. Has the athleticism and flashed the ability to produce as a pass catcher as well. Just was not in a system that utilized the TE in the passing game. However, they utilized him greatly as a "6th O-lineman" which the Texans will gladly take advantage of taking Fiedo's role as the Y TE. *did not get drafted in Reuter's mock*

4th round:

104 overall: Jamarco Jones OT Ohio St - Reuter took Jones here in this mock and if the draft falls this way I would be ecstatic! Compares favorably to Dion Dawkins who is the current starting LT for the Bills and went in the 2nd round last year. Shorter than you'd like for a LT at 6'4" but good arm length to offset the height 35 1/8" just like Dawkins (6'4" and 35"). Both have excellent feet to play LT and the strength to anchor against bull rush. Started every game last 2 seasons at LT for Ohio St while learning behind former 1st round pick Taylor Decker. Earning 1st team all conference this past season. Gives legitimate competition to Davenport and whoever loses has experience being the 6th OL seeing as OB likes to employ certain packages with an extra OT.

131 overall (acquired in MIA trade): P.J. Hall DT SHSU - LOVE THIS KID!!! I think he goes in the 3rd after his pro day where he ran 4.7 in the 40, posted a 38" vertical and 36 reps on the bench. What he lacks in ideal height/length he makes up for in being a bouncing ball of athleticism completely outmatching his competition at Sam while also showing well in the shrine game. Blocked 14 kicks in college.. who does that?! Not concerned about his lack of size when his athleticism compares favorably to another undersized DT in Aaron Donald. Could anchor at NT when Reader needs a break or line up at DE... or if you really want to get creative line him up at OLB like Sam did at times! *went 144 overall in Reuter's mock*

5th round:

no pick

6th round:

177 overall: D.J. Reed CB Kansas St - Tossup between Reed and Rashard Fant at this pick but I go with Reed because of his ability to add juice to the return game. In this range of the draft I want productive talented players with a chip on their shoulder. I’d rather take a flier on somebody who knows how to play football but doesn’t meet the protypical NFL measurables than a guy who looks like Tarzan/plays like Jane. Reed is undersized at 5'9" but has 10" hands and the athleticism to be a lock down slot CB like Colvin as well as a homerun hitter as a returner. 1st team all conference his only 2 seasons at K ST. Including 1st team as both defense and returner this past season when he scored a TD on both punt and kickoff return. He is a player that has had success at every level dating back to HS playing with a chip on his shoulder being overlooked due to his lack of size. Him and the Honey Badger would get along well!

7th round:

222 overall: Braxton Berrios WR Miami - In the final round I take a flier on a productive slot WR with a chip on his shoulder. Ran high 4.3-mid 4.4 range at his pro day. Undersized but athletic and productive player at Miami who also gives you ability in the return game. Proven production at the slot position to add competition with Braxton Miller/Bruce Ellington. His HC gave him a ringing endorsement at their pro day stating he'd fit anywhere and he was the most dominating offensive player on their team.

Last edited:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
With these picks I feel like we add quality depth at positions of need while also getting talented productive players who can be an asset to the team this season and beyond. Every player increases the team's athleticism and a good mix of adding Brian Gaine's (bigger, longer and stronger) along with players that increase the team speed/athleticism if they are undersized. Everyone drafted has a chance to not only make the team, but produce for the Texans in their first season.

The team still has holes sure but they will have added some legitimate gamers who are prepared to go out there and win on Sundays!

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I like the chart as a point of reference...a guide but not gospel. If Miami is calling my War Room and I know it's a QB (Rudolph) that they're after....my asking price is going to be steep. They may not like it but the pick is in my court. I'd take the trade, keep my 2 RD6 picks and give them the RD7 pick.

In this case my first pick of RD6: EDGE, Lawler- SMU / This guy will get a lot of playing from Day 1 on both defense and ST's.

My 2nd pick in RD6: WR, Marquez Valdez-Scantling / 6-4 @ 206. Lbs / 4.37-40 / 2017: 53 Catches - 879 Yards - 6 TD / Would be an excellent addition to the receiving group. Guy has speed and good hands, maybe Watson could exploit a weapon like this.

Last edited:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I like the chart as a point of reference...a guide but not gospel. If Miami is calling my War Room and I know it's a QB (Rudolph) that they're after....my asking price is going to be steep. They may not like it but the pick is in my court. I'd take the trade, keep my 2 RD6 picks and give them the RD7 pick.

In this case my first pick of RD6: EDGE, Lawler- SMU / This guy will get a lot of playing from Day 1 on both defense and ST's.

My 2nd pick in RD6: WR, Marquez Valdez-Scantling / 6-4 @ 206. Lbs / 4.37-40 / 2017: 53 Catches - 879 Yards - 6 TD / Would be an excellent addition to the receiving group. Guy has speed and good hands, maybe Watson could exploit a weapon like this.
I’d love it if the trade worked out that way! And I like Lawler as well. Your WR gives me pause however... with those measurables he should be taken much higher but Lance Zierlein has him as a round 7 prospect. Apparently he runs poor routes?

My idea with this mock draft is to avoid the project players on offense especially. I don’t want to have to really on the coaching staff developing players on offense when they’ve shown a poor track record of doing so. But you’re right that size/speed and 10” hands would be an asset if his issues were coachable!

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I’d love it if the trade worked out that way! And I like Lawler as well. Your WR gives me pause however... with those measurables he should be taken much higher but Lance Zierlein has him as a round 7 prospect. Apparently he runs poor routes?

My idea with this mock draft is to avoid the project players on offense especially. I don’t want to have to really on the coaching staff developing players on offense when they’ve shown a poor track record of doing so. But you’re right that size/speed and 10” hands would be an asset if his issues were coachable!
If his route running is a little questionable, his speed / size aren't and based on the OL's inability of allowing Watson to go through his progressions as the receivers run their routes...being a tad sloppy could be advantageous as long as you know how to break any route and drift with Watson.