Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Power Will Kill/Palmer about Mario Williams

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Carlson Palmer brings a somber warning.
"The truth of the matter is ... somebody is going to die here in the NFL. It's going to happen.''

-- Cincinnati's Carson Palmer, in my quarterback roundtable discussion this week in Sports Illustrated.

I found that comment chilling, to say the least. The other quarterbacks at the table -- Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers -- didn't dispute Palmer's words, and when he said them, the table got very quiet. They know. They feel the same thing happening in this game, too. And the fact that this statement has gotten zero traction in the last four days tells me something that all of us should find frightening: People read that line and just said, Yup, someone's going to die. We accept that. Now bring on football, dammit!

I gathered the five quarterbacks after their Friday round of golf at the celebrity golf tournament at South Lake Tahoe in mid-July. [If you think that was easy, for my next trick I'm going to pull a rabbit out of this MacBook Air.] It was a loose group. The light beer flowed, and it was the kind of scene you wish could have lasted five hours, not one. And so occasionally, a Roethlisberger would grab his phone and text someone, or chat with Rodgers about something that happened out on the course, but when Palmer said what he said, the table got quiet and everyone listened.

My question was about the endless defensive grousing concerning the overprotection of quarterbacks by the NFL, and Palmer went on, stridently, for a couple of minutes. "I don't mind [the league's protection of passers],'' he said. "In fact, I love it.'' In SI's preview issue, we edited some of his comments for space reasons, but here's much of what he said:

"Guys are getting so big, so fast, so explosive,'' Palmer said. "The game's so violent. Now that they're cutting out the wedge deal on kickoff returns, those guys [are] coming free, and at some point somebody is going to die in football. And I hope it's not anyone at this table, and I hope it doesn't happen, obviously. Everyone talks about the good old days, when guys were tough and quarterbacks got crushed all the time, but back in the day, there weren't defensive ends that were Mario Williams -- 6-7, 300 pounds, 10 percent body fat, running a 4.7 40.

"The game has changed, the game is getting bigger, faster, stronger, and there needs to be more protection. If I weren't a quarterback, I would be mad about the rules. If I were a safety or a defensive back, I would be mad about the new rule that you can't hit your helmet above their shoulder pads or whatever it is because it does take some of the ferociousness out of the game, but somebody is going to get seriously hurt, possibly die.

"I don't think you can change it. It's the nature of the world. The ways that guys train now, the way that guys eat and take vitamins and take supplements and all these things, guys are getting more muscle mass, more explosiveness, faster. Like I said, I hope to God it doesn't happen. Since I've been in the league, I feel like the D-Ends that come into the league, they're freaks, they're freaks of nature, and I hope it doesn't happen, but the rules need to be adjusted a little bit because [the violence] is getting a little out of control.''

[BTW, Marion Williams = Mario Williams :foottap:]

Interesting.

And I could see it. Some of the hits that folks take on K/O and punt returns. Also, some of the hits that folks take in the middle of the field where big pissed off linebackers roam.

I could see it.

Hell, I thought I did see it when Trent Green ran his head into TJ's knees. I really thought Green was dead.

I thought I remember a guy dying in a pre-season game back in the 70's. I seem to recall he was with the Rams.

And I was under the impression that a few guys die each year, normally in High School.

I could be wrong about that. I don't remember where I heard it.

People are actually, literally fearful of their life when Mario Williams is around. Called him out by name and said, "I fear my last glimpse of life will be Mario Williams bringing the heat, followed by the cold darkness of death."

Somebody is going to die. Bring on football damnit.

Said Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer at one point during the conversation: "The truth of the matter is . . . somebody is going to die here in the NFL. It's going to happen."

Per King, the group consisting of Palmer, Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, and Aaron Rodgers got "very quiet" in response to that comment.

Eventually, Palmer explained himself.

"Guys are getting so big, so fast, so explosive,'' Palmer said. "The game's so violent. Now that they're cutting out the wedge deal on kickoff returns, those guys [are] coming free, and at some point somebody is going to die in football. And I hope it's not anyone at this table, and I hope it doesn't happen, obviously. Everyone talks about the good old days, when guys were tough and quarterbacks got crushed all the time, but back in the day, there weren't defensive ends that were Mario Williams -- 6-7, 300 pounds, 10 percent body fat, running a 4.7 40."

Rest of article...

From PFT

"Guys are getting so big, so fast, so explosive,'' Palmer said. "The game's so violent. Now that they're cutting out the wedge deal on kickoff returns, those guys [are] coming free, and at some point somebody is going to die in football. And I hope it's not anyone at this table, and I hope it doesn't happen, obviously. Everyone talks about the good old days, when guys were tough and quarterbacks got crushed all the time, but back in the day, there weren't defensive ends that were Mario Williams -- 6-7, 300 pounds, 10 percent body fat, running a 4.7 40."

And it's funny to remember back that when they drafted him, most everyone thought they were idiots.

I'll never forget that.

And it's funny to remember back that when they drafted him, most everyone thought they were idiots.

I'll never forget that.

yep. Go to around page 436 of this forum for all the great football minds at work.

Glad I wasn't one of them. I liked the pick from the beginning. :thumbup

Yes Carson. Be afraid..Be very afraid...

30williams.190.1.jpg

It would be shocking if it did happen, but it wouldn't be surprising. Guys have had broken necks, backs, head injuries, internal injuries....... it could just be a matter of time.

Thanks Mario for being a Texan!

I thought I remember a guy dying in a pre-season game back in the 70's. I seem to recall he was with the Rams.

And I was under the impression that a few guys die each year, normally in High School.

It's usually heat induced and not violent collisions.

Chuck Hughes played for the Lions. WR.

Had a massive heart attack during a game in Oct. 71 and died on the field.

His number 85 has been retired.

Something must be wrong with me! This thread made me smile!!

COME ON BIGBOY!! Make um all fear for their lives when you're on the field!! THANK GOD you're a TEXAN!!:mario2::mario::mario3:

Back