Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Carr/Palmer comments

Couple of interesting radio things I heard.

One was that Capers (via Lance Zerleun) says that Carr changes 25% of the plays at the line of scrimmage. I've often seen him audible to runs that go nowhere.

Second, Zerleun also seemed to think that due to the lack of time in the pocket, Carr is checking off to the closer receivers as soon as he reads cover two.

In both cases, that would imply that there are deep routes being called, but not being executed. Carr's YPA is 10th in the NFL (among 2000 yd passers), so really it seems more like a function of what have you done for me latelyitis.

Another random note about cover 2. The field is 53 1/2 yards wide. That means a safety in cover 2 is responsible for roughly 25 yards of coverage, middle of the field to sideline. An Average safety runs a 4.5 forty. Even without getting a head start, a safety should be able to close 15-20 yards on a ball while it's in the air. Add in good instincts and experience and you can see why it's hard to throw a deep ball into c2.

And if Indy was consistently dropping it's MLB back as well....

This is nothing new. After every game they talk about how they can't beat a Cover 2 defense. Guess what... Chicago runs the same defense.

Maybe it's time to find a head coach and offensive coordinator who can beat a Cover 2? It's not rocket science but obviously has our coaches very confused.

I'd say we need a RB that makes that MLB not drop into coverage and either get a healthy TE or bring a TE in(draft/FA) that can go down the seams

As I heard someone say on the radio, the cover two might as well be kryponite to the Texans Superman. The cover two has weaknesses to exploit just like every defense. There are reasons why the Texans are 0-6 against the Colts, and have had measely offensive outputs against them. Other than their speed rushers, Indy's defense is not good. They have given up 3053 yds via the air, and 19 passing td's. Someone is scoring on them via the air. But not us. My question is why?

good question Porky and what suprises me (somewhat) is Indy is 2nd in the league in sacks (41) .. I guess that is a bonus playing against our OL twice a year.
But seriously.. I don't think Indy's defense is that good.. Indy's offense scores so many points it is takes the opponents out of their gameplan and so the defense just pins their ears back and goes..

Porky said:
They have given up 3053 yds via the air, and 19 passing td's. Someone is scoring on them via the air. But not us. My question is why?

Because the Texans OL cannot contain the Colts 4-man rush. If the Colts don't need to rush any more than 4 people on passing downs, how many does that leave for coverage?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's that complicated. :shrug:

Porky said:
As I heard someone say on the radio, the cover two might as well be kryponite to the Texans Superman. The cover two has weaknesses to exploit just like every defense. There are reasons why the Texans are 0-6 against the Colts, and have had measely offensive outputs against them. Other than their speed rushers, Indy's defense is not good. They have given up 3053 yds via the air, and 19 passing td's. Someone is scoring on them via the air. But not us. My question is why?

Good question. Billy Volek put up 3 TD's and 270 yards. Is he and the Titans receivers better than Houston's?

Right now, Volek is a better QB than Carr. He was at Fresno St and he is as a pro so far.

Vinny said:
Right now, Volek is a better QB than Carr. He was at Fresno St and he is as a pro so far.

Volek surely looked better Monday night.
Despite the pressure, he got the ball out of his hands quickly and into his receivers hands. His protection was a little better than Carr gets and his receivers were getting open. I am beginning to believe that Carr is just shell shocked and cannot read coverages as well as he should. It is not all the O-line.
Cowboy fans are clamoring to see Henson now that their season is down the tubes.
Maybe we should take a look at Ragone just to see where we stand in the qb department.

cac :coffee:

Carr looks rattled. Not comfortable at all. I look at Brady and the Patriots line and he's got all kinds of time. Carr's problem is not staying in the pocket and letting plays develop or making plays he too buys trying to scramble is way into an opening. And having only 4 rushers against 5-6 of our linemen and they still get sacks is pathetic. I fear that we are starting to lose a couple of players and once that happens watch out. It become contagious.

Wolf said:
good question Porky and what suprises me (somewhat) is Indy is 2nd in the league in sacks (41) .. I guess that is a bonus playing against our OL twice a year.
But seriously.. I don't think Indy's defense is that good.. Indy's offense scores so many points it is takes the opponents out of their gameplan and so the defense just pins their ears back and goes..

That's the whole point, isn't it?? The Colts defense holds it's own. A lot of those yards given up are **** yards as the other team plays "catch up" The Colts defense can't be all that bad if they are 2nd in the league in sacks, have 2 in the top 5 in sacks, and lead the entire NFL in the turnover margin. They create turnovers and that is not a sing of a bad defense in the least.

The Colts have been playing excellent D all year and have very good players, they are not the best but are very fast. A tribute the defensive coordinator.

We lose to the Bears and **** will really hit the fan then. This message board will on fire to burn everyone from Capers coaching miscues, Palmers conservative routes, Fangios lack of blitzes on 3rd down, Carr's Deer in headlights imitation, Walkers Statue ability, to Wands bullfighter routine.

SESupergenius said:
We lose to the Bears and **** will really hit the fan then. This message board will on fire to burn everyone...
I agree. But if the Texans win in Chicago, I think it will be a relatively quiet week (other than some Jag fans trolling). Short of sweeping the final 3 games, it's going to be pretty negative around here in the offseason.

Marcus said:
Because the Texans OL cannot contain the Colts 4-man rush. If the Colts don't need to rush any more than 4 people on passing downs, how many does that leave for coverage?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's that complicated. :shrug:

Your exactly right Marcus, it is VERY simple. 4 man rush gets to Carr in less than 3 seconds, most of the time it is like two. This leaves 7 guys to cover our pass receivers. It seems we have even tried max protect (7 guys blocking and 3 receivers) and the 4 down lineman still get pressure. In the meantime they have 7 guys covering our 3 wide receivers.
When this happens continually I don't care who is calling the plays and who is at quarterback, the offense is not going to move the ball. Until our pass protection gets better we are not going to beat any defense.

Texan Gal 312 said:
Your exactly right Marcus, it is VERY simple. 4 man rush gets to Carr in less than 3 seconds, most of the time it is like two. This leaves 7 guys to cover our pass receivers. It seems we have even tried max protect (7 guys blocking and 3 receivers) and the 4 down lineman still get pressure. In the meantime they have 7 guys covering our 3 wide receivers.
When this happens continually I don't care who is calling the plays and who is at quarterback, the offense is not going to move the ball. Until our pass protection gets better we are not going to beat any defense.
I have found myself counting the opposing team players on the field during some of these plays. A strange illusion .. sure gives the appearance of being outmanned. .. but no, just out muscled.

Oakland was headed to the Super Bowl, but someone found out how to get to their QB. It was down hill from there. The QB was the talk of the league, but once the defenses got to him, he just looked like one of the crowd. If you don't protect your QB, you will have big problems. Boy, do we have them. Sassy looks like you are pondering in your picture. They certainly express a lot. I think the bears should be favored against us.

noxiousdog said:
Carr is in his third season. So was Drew Brees until this year. Beware making judgments about young quarterbacks.
Brees and Carr have exactly the same number of NFL starts. Brees sat on the bench his first year and blossomed in his third year as a starter. Brees was the first pick of the second round, Carr was the first pick of the first round. This is Carr's third year as a starter but it's not entirely fair to compare the two because of the vastly different environments in which they were brought up. Brees was on his way out the door until someone told him that it was his contract year and Antonio Gates fell into his lap.

noxiousdog said:
Carr is in his third season. So was Drew Brees until this year. Beware making judgments about young quarterbacks.

If there was not contract issue with Rivers, Brees would not have seen the field this year. Brees basically saved his career, the charger thought they had seen enough. Carr is getting a much longer leash than Brees had.

Back