Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Capers vague, evasive re injury to Carr

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
If you're listening to 610 right now, Capers has been asked a couple of times
if Carr has an injury to his throwing arm, and Capers has not point blank said: "no, Dave's arm is fine". Instead, he says stuff like "Dave looks OK in practice". What does that mean ? Coach, you should know if you're QB is injured or not. Maybe its me. Or maybe Capers parses his words too much.
Or maybe Carr has a problem with his arm.

If he's hurt, he needs to ride the bench. We're not exactly going to the SB this year, anyway. Besides, it wouldn't hurt to have better draft picks.

His arm is obviously not the same. Look at some of the passes he lobbed up against NY. Against Indy he didn't even attempt a pass downfield. That boy ain't right.

nunusguy said:
If you're listening to 610 right now, Capers has been asked a couple of times if Carr has an injury to his throwing arm, and Capers has not point blank said: "no, Dave's arm is fine". Instead, he says stuff like "Dave looks OK in practice". What does that mean ? Coach, you should know if you're QB is injured or not. Maybe its me. Or maybe Capers parses his words too much.
I was listening also. He definitely did not answer the question head on.
He almost started to say something, stopped, and rethought his reply. He talked in circles, gave a long elaborate answer as usual, but chose to evade the question. Not too surprising, as pc answers are all we will ever get.

I heard the Capers show. Dom didn't sound evasive to me in regard to Carr. He was his usual polite self.

You must have missed the 40 yard bazooka that Carr threw incomplete to AJ in the endzone on the first drive at 9:37 of the 1st qtr.

As far as the other two floaters, they appeared to be "run under" balls to AJ. On the one that Carr appeared to severely underthrow, Carr said he actually thought he overthrew AJ on the ball but the wind was swirling from several different directions and knocked it down.

I heard Coach say that "I don't see that there's anything wrong with David's arm" so that works for me until he appears on the injury report. Speaking of which -- there's some kind of rule where you can be penalized for withholding injury so it wouldn't be in any team's best interest to do that. I'm foggy on the details of that rule but I will try to find out more.

At this point I believe we aren't seeing deep balls as much because of the game planning and not a sore armed QB. That's another issue that I won't get into here.

Capers said on the radio that he's been watching David throw in practice, and he doesn't see anything wrong. Maybe it's just us wanting to see something wrong? :shrug:

This is so halarious.

You guys/gals can't even agree as to whether Capers is being vague, evasive or not. :rofl:

Marcus said:
Capers said on the radio that he's been watching David throw in practice, and he doesn't see anything wrong.
That's sounds like something that you or I would say if we were admitted
to practice on a visitors pass and observed Carr working out from a distance.
Capers is the head coach, you know, like one heart beat away from the QB.
The most important arm or leg on the team is the right arm of his starting
QB. Capers has a strange way of comforting concerned fans.

I heard Capers as well on my commute home from the office.

The question asked was about all the talk about Carr's beginning to start throwing with a side-arm motion. Capers responded that his throwing motion has been unchanged in practice.

My take on it is that there is no intense defensive pressure in practice, while in real game-time situations, he must get the pass off before he even has time to taker his three-step dropback.

Personally I am thrilled that they are reporting no injury, but in truth, his throwing has NOT looked very good for several weeks. Lots of things can cause that and I hope they get to the bottom of it.

Marcus said:
This is so halarious.

You guys/gals can't even agree as to whether Capers is being vague, evasive or not. :rofl:

He's being vaguely evasive, and he's doing it in a very misleading fashion if you ask me!

I think some of you conspiracy theorists should remember that Capers is a football coach, not some politician who's running for mayor.

Like someone said earlier, why would Capers hide it if Carr was injured?

Well, on SportsRadio610 this morning Lance said that he got a call from a person (it wasnt a caller, an acutual source close to the NFL) he knows who asked him "What's up with Carr shoulder?" Lance said he was surprised to hear that Carr was injured but the guy said that word around the NFL is that Carr injured his shoulder a couple of weeks ago...

I believe the NFL has a rule about reporting injuries...in other words you can be fined for not reporting them.

I don't think the Texans would risk that.

My guess is David is maybe trying too hard and making mistakes that way.

I know last week in the first part of the game the Colts were right on top of him when he got the snap. The O line had a bad game.

WWJD said:
I believe the NFL has a rule about reporting injuries...in other words you can be fined for not reporting them.

I believe, but have a hard source yet, that the mandatory reporting only kicks in once a player starts missing practice time--possibly even specific parts of practice like 11 on 11 drills.

This
article touches on the subject.

aj. said:
Like Lance is an authority about "whispers around the NFL" (his words). Yeahhhrrright.
Well, saying his name is Lance Zierlein and the offensive line coach for the Browns is Larry Zierlein, Lance may have connections. But then again, there must be a lot of Zierlein's running around the place... :rolleyes:

Larry Zierlein - offensive line; born July 12, 1945, Lenora, Kan. Attended Fort Hays (Kan.) State College. No college or pro playing experience. College coach: Fort Hays (Kan.) State College 1970-71, Houston 1978-1986, Tulane 1988-1990, 1995-96, Louisiana State 1993-94, Cincinnati 1997-2000. Pro coach: Washington Commandos (Arena League) 1987, New York/New Jersey Knights (WLAF) 1991-92, joined Browns in 2001.
http://www.nfl.com/teams/coaching/CLE

Like most SportsRadio610 listeners, I'm painfully aware of who his dad is.

So let me get this straight. Capers says nothing is wrong with David's arm, Casserly says nothing is wrong with David's arm, and David says nothing is wrong with David's arm. But the conspiracy/cover up theorists are still believing there is because of some unsubstantiated insider whispers suggested by a morning drive time guy? Knock your lights out. Lance is a nice guy but in all my years of listening to him, I haven't heard any Berman or even McClain-like scoops out of him yet, even with his "connection." Believe it or not, and as odd as it seems, I think Granato has better insight into what's going on with the Texans because he's traveling with them every week and working the sidelines.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with Carr's arm. I've seen him throw several passes side-armed or mostly side-armed when doing so was actually a good thing. Also, when he gets balls tipped, you have to remember that that's partially because the D-linemen are like 3 ft. away from him, instead of 5 yds. away from him like they should be. He may need to work on his throwing habits some, but his arm is fine.

A significant portion of Carr's sidearm throws are directly related to the defensive person in his face. He very seldom has the ability to step up and throw the ball. It also has to do with the lack of throwing lanes in general.
The touchdown pass to Well's was thrown around a defensive lineman.
He also throws sidearm when on the run and pretty accurately when a receiver is open.

It's not so much that he is throwing sidearm, he did that in college, but that his accuracy and it seems like his arm strength have deminnished since the start of the year when he was coming over the top with his passes. Just compare his rating for the first 4-5 and his last 4-5. Big difference.

The question was asked by somebody in David's column in the Chronicle and I believe he said that there was nothing wrong with his shoulder and that he throws the ball different ways.

nunusguy said:
If you're listening to 610 right now, Capers has been asked a couple of times
if Carr has an injury to his throwing arm, and Capers has not point blank said: "no, Dave's arm is fine". Instead, he says stuff like "Dave looks OK in practice". What does that mean ? Coach, you should know if you're QB is injured or not. Maybe its me. Or maybe Capers parses his words too much.
Being it was 100 degrees below zero this past Sun. I dont think we can judge BAD throws.I just watched the game again,and I would be more concerned about his knee.Looking at the tape again,it looked like another inch and he would have blown his knee out

Bottle-O-Bud said:
Well maybe cept Wand, he gives a lot of sacks, but he always manage to slow them down before hitting Carr.
I guess you don't remember the shot that laid out Carr in the Jets game. Eric Barton blew by Wand untouched on that hit. Carr completed the pass to AJ, but left the field for one play. I can remember another sack in the Lion game where Wand blocked no one & let a LB free in the backfield. Your 1st instinct was correct, it's on all of the linemen.

He needs to be traded. he waits to long to throw the ball and caint scramble.
I know the line needs help but if he would get ride of the ball in a timely manner I dont think it would be as big an issue. I went to the Idy game and I could not believe how many recv'rs were open and he did'nt throw????? Then threw short at the end of the game. This guy is bad put in banks of the tech rookie maybe the line will block for them????????????????

johnson131 said:
I know the line needs help but if he would get ride of the ball in a timely manner I dont think it would be as big an issue. I went to the Idy game and I could not believe how many recv'rs were open and he did'nt throw????? Then threw short at the end of the game. This guy is bad put in banks of the tech rookie maybe the line will block for them????????????????

Hahahhahahahahahhahahaha. You are better off finding another team to track if you dont like David. He IS the Houston Texans, and will be for the next 10 or so years.

GET USED TO IT! :loser

johnson131 said:

Your post doesn't really deserve a response, but I couldn't resist. You are either very ignorant or too young to know any better. Judging your grammar skills, it may be a combination of both.

WWJD said:

I heard that on 610 about two weeks ago. They said if it is found out at the end of the season that he played injured and did not report it he and the texans org. face fines from the nfl.

Back