Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

"Bottom Line"backers

TexanExile

A New Hope
In the 3-4 defense, we're told that LBs should be the difference-makers, forcing turnovers and getting sacks.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2005 Texans LBs to date, through 5 games!

4 Sacks (Wong, Anderson, Peek x 2 )
1 Forced Fumble (Peek)
1 Interception (T. Evans)
5.5 Tackles for losses
7 passes defensed (incl. 3 by Greenwood)

At random, I compared these numbers to other LBs in the division. Jacksonville's Mike Peterson, by himself, has 1 forced fumble, 2 INTs, and 4 defensed passes. His teammate Akin Ayodele, by himself, has a sack, 3 tackles for losses, 2 forced fumbles, and one defensed pass.

Tennessee's Keith Bulluck, by himself, has 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1.5 tackles for loss, and 1 pass defensed.

Indianapolis' Cato June, by himself, has 5 INTs, 1 tackle for loss, and 6 passes defensed.

Just for grins, I compared the Texans LBs as a unit to Indy's Dwight Freeney (not an LB, of course.) Freeney alone has 5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 3 tackles for losses, and 2 passes defensed.

Ouch.

you forgot peek has 2 sacks, he forced a fumble that the texans didnt recover against the seahawks also. You also cant complain about these stats when Fangio never calls a blitz and they are all dropped into a zone that is easy to pick apart.

Oops, I didn't include Peek's stats. My bad. Corrected numbers for all LBs:

1 Forced Fumble (Peek)
1 Interception (T. Evans!?)
5.5 Tackles for losses

I'll edit and correct the original post too.

Source of all stats: ESPN.com Texans 2005 stats

What a big mistake it was not taking a playmaking linebacker in this past draft....DJ may not have made us that much better on his own, but he sure woulda helped

gtexan02 said:
Who would ahve played LE though? we would have had a huge whole there with Walker injured

Would have had a huge whole? We do have a huge whole, a wanted us to draft DJ as well and would have been happy with Barron who play well against the Colt by the way but Travis has done nothing and hasnt looked like doing anything.

What a big mistake it was not taking a playmaking linebacker in this past draft....DJ may not have made us that much better on his own, but he sure woulda helped

Here we go with the DJ thing again... :deadhorse

DJ - 41 total tackles 1 sack 1 fumble recovery

Greenwood - 38 total tackles

Wong - 33 total tackles 1 sack

Has he really done anything that much better than our ILB's have done this season? We had our ILB's in place before the draft. This DJ thing will never end...

Babin is being sorely missed, compound that with Wong and Walker out, and our starting LOLB from last was let go, our whole freaking entire left side is weak. I liked the take by one of the posters here (sorry can't remember whom) where he basically stated that he liked Babin, but didn't like the deal that got him. I can totally subscribe to that. But make no mistake about it, Babin is a crucial part of our D, his rookie year was solid, he's just been injured so far.

lukejacobs1 said:
Would have had a huge whole? We do have a huge whole, a wanted us to draft DJ as well and would have been happy with Barron who play well against the Colt by the way but Travis has done nothing and hasnt looked like doing anything.

Barron hasn't had to be The Man because he plays with Pace. Hard to project how he would have done here. Same with DJ in the 3-4. Or TJ after only 5 games--I am guessing we were leaning toward TJ given Gary Walker's health history. Yup, lots of holes to fill and the injuries don't help. Call it an excuse or an explanation but as is popular to say these days, it is what it is.

firewall_bw.gif

TexanExile said:
In the 3-4 defense, we're told that LBs should be the difference-makers, forcing turnovers and getting sacks.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2005 Texans LBs to date, through 5 games!

1 Forced Fumble (Peek)
1 Interception (T. Evans)
5.5 Tackles for losses

At random, I compared these numbers to other LBs in the division. Jacksonville's Mike Peterson, by himself, has 1 forced fumble, 2 INTs, and 4 defensed passes. His teammate Akin Ayodele, by himself, has a sack, 3 tackles for losses, 2 forced fumbles, and one defensed pass.

Tennessee's Keith Bulluck, by himself, has 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1.5 tackles for loss, and 1 pass defensed.

Indianapolis' Cato June, by himself, has 5 INTs, 1 tackle for loss, and 6 passes defensed.

Just for grins, I compared the Texans LBs as a unit to Indy's Dwight Freeney (not an LB, of course.) Freeney alone has 5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 3 tackles for losses, and 2 passes defensed.

Ouch.

So your point is????? :confused:
That we should be 0-5 instead of 5-0! :rofl:

bobby 119C :brickwall

Greenwood and Peek seem to be the only people making a substantial contribution (more than just a placeholder) to the Texans' defensive line. Of course, most of the line are injured or rookies, so you can't expect that much. This was supposed to be a defensive rebuilding year with a promising offense. Guess we screwed that one up.

As for Babin, I remember watching him playing against the Steelers, where he basically found an offensive lineman and hit him. That's not defense.

texan279 said:
Has he really done anything that much better than our ILB's have done this season? We had our ILB's in place before the draft. This DJ thing will never end...

If you watched any of KC's games you would know the answer to this. The guy is always around the ball. Can you say this about any of the Texans' LB's?

the wonger need food said:
If you watched any of KC's games you would know the answer to this. The guy is always around the ball. Can you say this about any of the Texans' LB's?

There was that interception where the Seahawks quarterback mistakenly threw the ball directly at Evans. :) But other than the ball going directly to a LB - no, I really don't recollect a time that they have been near the ball. They've probably forgotten what one looks like, which may be why they had such a hard time finding Alexander last Sunday.

Back