Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

BILL O'BRIEN

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

Coaches basically go to Alabama for rehabilitation as game planners, schemers and as coaches overall. Recently, head coach Nick Saban brought in Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian and now they’re head coaches once again. Sarkisian just took the Texas job while Kiffin went to Florida Atlantic and turned it into the Ole Miss job last season. This year, Saban brought in former Penn State and Houston Texans head coach Bill O’Brien as the offensive coordinator. He was successful at both stops but saw a downward trend in his final years with the Texans. Speaking on Monday’s edition of WJOX’s “The Roundtable,” college football radio host Paul Finebaum outlined why O’Brien is a home run hire for Saban and Alabama.

“I have a hunch that Bill O’Brien may end up being the best offensive coordinator that Saban has had,” Finebaum said. “I know that’s a mouthful considering everything we all know, but he is at such an interesting point in his career that he knows this is his transition moment. He does a great job here and the world is his oyster. I mean any job. I’m not talking about jobs back east, grab a job just to have one. Bill O’Brien did not need this job. I think Nick Saban took a good, long look and said ‘this guy is special.’ He is at such an interesting point in his career. I’m not going to get too wildly speculative here, but let’s be honest. Bill O’Brien is capable of moving into any position in the country, including the place that he currently works.”

When asked about O’Brien potentially taking over Alabama from Saban down the line, Finebaum said it wasn’t a bad idea. “He could be,” Finebaum said. “Is he qualified? Yeah. I know that’s 5 o’clock, happy hour talk. We haven’t seen him do anything other than coach an A-Day Game. He, to me, is very capable.”

Back in March, Saban talked about the early progress from O’Brien coming back to the college game. “I think Bill’s a really, really good coach,” Saban said. “He’s coached with some really good coaches. He’s had some really, really good success at what he’s accomplished and what he’s done. I think it’s really difficult when you have somebody come in and try to learn our system, which he has done a really good job of, to try to implement that system and then tweak it to where we can fix it and make it better based on the quality control that we did last year. But the big thing I’ve tried to emphasize with the new coaches is it’s kind of human nature to want to try to come in and make an impact and do something that’s great. We just need you to do a good job of coaching our players and getting them to play the best that they can play, getting the players to understand our system and what we do in a really positive way. There’s no expectations. We shouldn’t be making comparisons to what we did last year on offense and how we are going to be next year on offense. I think the focus needs to be on how do we get the players that we have to be the best offensive team that we can be? And we’ll all work together to try to do that, and so far, that’s worked out really well.”

BOB wasn't a bad HC. He wasn't a great HC either.

He will be a better HC at his next stop after coaching under Saban.

Bob was a bad HC, his game management was terrible. I do believe he is a good teacher and hopefully his time under Saban can help him become a good HC.
If recruiting counts as being a good HC in college, then yea Nick Saban should be classified as a good HC.

BOB is a poster child for the Peter Principle. If his time at Houston proved one thing he is a good OC and he failed miserably as a HC and GM. (Some of us knew that was going to happen).

BOB is a poster child for the Peter Principle. If his time at Houston proved one thing he is a good OC and he failed miserably as a HC and GM. (Some of us knew that was going to happen).

a stopped clock is right twice a day....

If recruiting counts as being a good HC in college, then yea Nick Saban should be classified as a good HC.
Saban probably hasn't had to "recruit" in over 10 years. He may make an appearance to a prospect or 2 out of obligation but Alabama recruits itself based their success. As far as being him being a good HC, we're all entitled have our own opinion :handshake:

How do you judge a HC if not by his record?
How his teams play the game, how they improve, etc. How he prepares and manages the game, how he adjusts and becomes versatile to the game, his players and staff. He needs to grow and there's nothing wrong with that. I hope he finds success if he becomes a HC again, but teapot must learn the art of channeling those emotions so they are beneficial to a positive outcome.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

How would the Rice University HC and staff do if they were handling the Alabama team, with their talent pool?

Probably not as well as Saban and company do.

Saban hasn't been known for hiring bad coaches. In fact I read somewhere Saban's philosophy is, your only as good as your worst asst coach. Wish BOB had that philosophy during his time on Kirby.

How his teams play the game, how they improve, etc. How he prepares and manages the game, how he adjusts and becomes versatile to the game, his players and staff. He needs to grow and there's nothing wrong with that. I hope he finds success if he becomes a HC again, but teapot must learn the art of channeling those emotions so they are beneficial to a positive outcome.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Not disagreeing with you, the biggest issue I had with BOB was the failure to develop young talent.

But how should teams play the game. That's very subjective.

In fact I read somewhere Saban's philosophy is, your only as good as your worst asst coach.
Not disagreeing with you, the biggest issue I had with BOB was the failure to develop young talent
I believe if BO'b would have focused on developing his Coordinators & position coaches, developing young talent would have taken care of itself.

Granted he started in a bad spot since Godsey was not close to ready... or maybe he shot himself in the foot (wanting to run the offense himself). But six years later the coaching did not appear to be headed in the right direction (Devlin)... HCes need to coach coaches to coach players.

Back