Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Biggest draft needs - Poll

What are your top two needs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
With just under two weeks to go, what are the Texans biggest needs?
The best chance to pick up a starter is in the first three rounds where we fortunately have 4 picks.
This poll is simply aimed at what needs you see the Texans should fill from the draft.
You can select two.
I left out some we obviously do not need.

Tell me how healthy Howard is and I can vote.

If he's healthy then S is the biggest need.
I thought I read something a few weeks ago that Ryans was reasonably confident Howard would be good to go.
That they didn't make any substantial moves in this off season makes me think they are happy with the corp they have right now or, that they can make a move in the draft.
This uncertainty is probably planned going into the draft - just to keep their draft plan more difficult to predict.
For mine, I see two glaring holes at LB and DT.
With Henderson, Okuda and Bryant here now, I can see one going to Safety and the best of the three going to Corner - with the option to bring Nelson back.

I put RT and DT. Main reasoning is DeMeco/Nick have prioritized the trenches and I want core players on rookie contracts at these positions. Can make an argument for the others listed but I fully expect the team will be able to add a core player day 2 at these two positions based on who they’ve brought in for visits and the players projected to be available.

I do not have confidence in Howard’s availability post injury. But if he is good to go then that’s an added bonus and the team will have solidified their depth at OT grabbing one day 2.

I understand why people would choose positions like S/CB/LB but I would argue that the team is in better position to get value in later rounds here given DeMeco’s track record finding and developing contributors at these positions and the projected elite pass rush the team will have with Anderson/Hunter/Autry and hopefully a rookie added to the mix.

I voted S and CB. I could technically see us drafting both an outside and nickel corner. There aren’t guarantees with Okudah and Henderson, so some quality competition could go a long way.

Ward staying healthy is a bit of concern, but it’d be a perfect opportunity to have a young safety come in and learn from Ward. Then if/when he has to miss a game or two he’ll start. I’m hoping Pitre’s down year was just getting used to the new system. Otherwise the newly drafted prospect could be pushing for a starter position.

I went DT and LB, can still sign a S after the draft or get one in the third as there is currently a surplus on the market. CB, I kind of trust they think they have the athletes but would not be sad if the right guy fell they grabbed him. As others state, could see Okudah or Henderson getting some safety time if needed. Anyway, funny how much of us still want the studs on defense.

I see corner and DT most needed If we are forced to assume Howard healthy. Defending on whom is available at each selection and how many trades Nick makes, I think we should be able to address at minimum five necessary positions. I still am holding out hope that we are able to bring in a wide receiver such as Xavier Leggett. I also think we should be able to get a decent running back and quality backup in round 6 both picks.

I went DT and LB, can still sign a S after the draft or get one in the third as there is currently a surplus on the market. CB, I kind of trust they think they have the athletes but would not be sad if the right guy fell they grabbed him. As others state, could see Okudah or Henderson getting some safety time if needed. Anyway, funny how much of us still want the studs on defense.
I feel strongly that Nick can obtain quality depth as TC and pre-season cuts are made by other teams.

I voted S and CB. I could technically see us drafting both an outside and nickel corner. There aren’t guarantees with Okudah and Henderson, so some quality competition could go a long way.

Ward staying healthy is a bit of concern, but it’d be a perfect opportunity to have a young safety come in and learn from Ward. Then if/when he has to miss a game or two he’ll start. I’m hoping Pitre’s down year was just getting used to the new system. Otherwise the newly drafted prospect could be pushing for a starter position.
I like Kiper's 42 JerZhan Newton 59 Mike Sainristil nickle with ability for some outside work. Then mine: At 86 outside monster corner Khyree Jackson. 4s : DT Khristian Boyd and OT Javon Foster.

Depth in 6s and 7s.

I like Kiper's 42 JerZhan Newton 59 Mike Sainristil nickle with ability for some outside work. Then mine: At 86 outside monster corner Khyree Jackson. 4s : DT Khristian Boyd and OT Javon Foster.

Depth in 6s and 7s.
I would be happy with this, because if needed Jackson can play some S. If the draft fell this way I would hope Cupp or Heins would be the pick in the 6th along with Ali.

It would be a dream to get Newton and Sainristil. I just don’t think Newton falls that far.
Yes and I was hoping Sainristil would not rise that high. Most of us get caught up in the value or worth of the individual player rather than many NFL teams drafting for what they need for their roster. Remember a few years ago when they puncher was taken round one iirc? I think it was the Raiders

Right on.

I keep wondering if a RB like Wright or Guerendo in the 3rd would make a bigger difference than say Jackson or Melton.

Guys that are threats to score anytime they touch the ball are very valuable.
But guys are needed to stop those guys also... which do your team need more?

I keep wondering if a RB like Wright or Guerendo in the 3rd would make a bigger difference than say Jackson or Melton.

Guys that are threats to score anytime they touch the ball are very valuable.

RB is the biggest bang for the buck immediately. Though I disagree with Guerendo being that guy, he plays slower than he times. Still a solid backup and capable ST guy, just don’t think he’s the homerun hitter like Wright.

But guys are needed to stop those guys also... which do your team need more?
I think they need to add a LB/S?DT. There's enough depth at DT that I would feel comfortable waiting on DT. Ryans probably doesn't think the same way I do though.

But you could talk me into

Cooper
Bishop
Wright
Christian Jones
Stiggers

RB is the biggest bang for the buck immediately. Though I disagree with Guerendo being that guy, he plays slower than he times. Still a solid backup and capable ST guy, just don’t think he’s the homerun hitter like Wright.
I haven't watched a lot of Wright, how is he in pass pro and catching the ball? I know he's a threat to score anytime he touches the ball.

If we’re considering RB and LB I assume it’s for depth reasons. In that case OT and TE need to be on the list.
LB is a bigger need than some dude named Jacob realizes.

Cashman/Perryman/Harris last yr

Harris/Al Shaair/?

Atleast they've got Okudah/Henderson/Stingley at CB and plenty of depth at DT. I hope they draft either Cooper or P. Wilson at 2-42.

Atleast they've got Okudah/Henderson/Stingley at CB and plenty of depth at DT. I hope they draft either Cooper or P. Wilson at 2-42.
I question the depth at DT but acknowledge the lack of at LB and also at OT. Which do you think Ryans puts the priority on? Which is harder to fill after round 2?

I question the depth at DT but acknowledge the lack of at LB and also at OT. Which do you think Ryans puts the priority on? Which is harder to fill after round 2?

In this draft LB is thin. IMHO

I would be happy with drafting a LB and S in rd. 2 unless Newton fell. These 2 positions were the weakest on the team last yr. IMHO I would be happy if Caserio went BPA and those fell in this order, LB/S/RB/OT/DT.

If Newton is there at 2-42 then I'm picking him.

I’m still in on RT b/c I don’t think Howard will be ready even if he can hit the field. A big enforcing SS is the other immediate need. With the pressure the new front should get on the pocket….I want their bailout options removed.

So could be someone here?
If someone here looks like this guy.

F2KJsFIXoAA73de

My guess is that no one on TT forum has this much hair.

I know I don’t! (Hair). It’s funny because as a kid I had this huge mop of hair. It was wavy and auburn. Now? What’s left is gray and white and salt and peppery..lbut it ain’t much! Funny what 60 years will do to you!

As far as Jacob, my priority list is essentially the same. If that’s him…good job young (hairy) man! Keep up the good work. I might flip flop DT and CB but it’s a quibble. I’d be happy with either at 42 and the rest of his list echoes mine, but I would add OT to the bottom of the list…pending what is actually going on with Howard. If Howard isn’t going to be there this year, I’d move tackle up the list. The Texans know…and in less than two weeks we will know exactly what the Texans think of Howard’s health and odds of playing this year.

Back