Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Baker Mayfield landing spots: Going to Carolina

ubecool454

Veteran
Thoughts or comments? To me, I’m open to it. We have a clean palette to work with so, what’s to lose? Of course, I’m an eternal optimist when it comes to Houston football so…roses, cherries, koolaide, yada yada yada...

What do you want with Mayfield. If this was a college team then yes. Why would we want him when Watson may be right back if Nick Caserio hires Brian Flores. I think thats all it would take to make Watson have a change of heart.

Texansballer74

The Marine
What do you want with Mayfield. If this was a college team then yes. Why would we want him when Watson may be right back if Nick Caserio hires Brian Flores. I think thats all it would take to make Watson have a change of heart.
Hey you gotta erase that dream, Watson will not play for the Texans ever again. And the Texans are too freaking friendly with their money. No way a team like the Patriots would’ve paid him 10 million to sit out.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
It may have been a foolish thought to consider meationing Mayfield, but Watson is the very last, over everyone out there that I would pick - and that includes Johnny Football Manziel…that’s what I think of Watson and his continuing on playing for our Texans’ team.

michaelm

vox nihili
Sure they do. Read comments sections, listen to the radio, talk to fans, read this forum.

First time in team history - even after multiple 2-14 seasons - that folks are giving up their PSLs, the waiting list is gone, and you can't even give away tickets.

You act like the fans are a bunch of dummies that have no clue. I, on the other hand, believe that fans know a lot more about things.

Winning puts butts in the seats, obviously, but part of winning is building something positive to be a part of. Having Easterby's toxic BS and past is counter-intuitive to that goal. He's a symbol of the failure of Cal McNair.

lmao Do you not read this forum? :um:

I'm a Texans fan that wants positive things for the franchise, and he's detrimental to that cause. Why are you an Easterboy? lol
Anyone who listens to 610 and John Lopez knows who Easterby is.
Lopez is obsessed with the guy. I agree with the criticism, but Lopez is extreme about it

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
While I was thinking about positives about this team, I thought about it being almost 100% certain that the Texans declined to have Baker included in the trade. Browns probably would’ve thrown him in for next to nothing.

At least this front office was smart enough to say no to Baker.

🤘🏾
I was actually looking at these potential trade partners trying to work out which of their castoff QBs I’d have been least unhappy about us taking on. Glad we left them to sort out their own mess.

Texian

Hall of Fame
At this point the Kirby Boardroom has convinced me that the Cleveland Browns will get more for Baker Mayfield than the Texans would, if they were trying to trade him.

Oh, and Mayfield will likely end up being a Colt beating Texans azz a couple of times a year. That would not have happened if Texans had insisted Baker be a part of the trade.

Texian

Hall of Fame
While I was thinking about positives about this team, I thought about it being almost 100% certain that the Texans declined to have Baker included in the trade. Browns probably would’ve thrown him in for next to nothing.

🤘🏾
Huh? What? You're saying no to a minimum of (2) 3rd RD draft picks? Really? Is this you Nick?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

🤘🏾
I would've taken Baker in the trade, but I would've had a trade to another team lined out before I agreed to accept Baker in the deal. Maybe Caserio tried to do this to no avail.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Lol, would be awesome if we got another draft pick to take on his contract. Do we have room for it then cut him?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To some degree the cap can be manipulated. We can see what New Orleans did to clear cap for potentially landing Watson.

However - if Osweiler was a 1st round draft pick then how does that work to get the equivalent value? This years 2nd and next years 2nd?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Colts jumped all over Matty Ice, and they obviously wanted no part in Baker. Word is they never even inquired about him. lol

Now the music is about to stop playing and there are two QBs left: Baker and Jimmy. Let's see what team(s) are really desperate now. . .

So glad the Texans are looking ahead and avoided the predictable drama and complications of trying to move Baker.

wildroot

Rookie
You are acting like Easterby is the sole reason, or even a big reason, that fans aren't going to games. In this age of Covid, horrible economy, highest inflation in 40 years, hyper politicized league with players using the games to push their own political ideas and frankly just bad play on the field with refs completely ruining more games than ever do you really think firing Easterby is going to cause anybody to go “Okay now I’ll start going to games again”? Hell even the meat people would buy to BBQ would cost them the price of a ticket right now.

Again I don’t care if they fire him or not, I just don’t think it will make any difference one way or the other and that you are giving him way to much credit/blame.
I go to one, maybe two games a year and I can tell you Easterby doesn't enter into the decision making process one bit.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
Colts jumped all over Matty Ice, and they obviously wanted no part in Baker. Word is they never even inquired about him. lol

Now the music is about to stop playing and there are two QBs left: Baker and Jimmy. Let's see what team(s) are really desperate now. . .

So glad the Texans are looking ahead and avoided the predictable drama and complications of trying to move Baker.
DB, I am still confused and curious about Garoppolo…what gives regarding him? I thought he was a pretty good QB…what am I missing here as to why it appears that no other team seems to want him? Is he a cancer or drama case internally, is he up and down, consistently inconsistent so to speak?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
DB, I am still confused and curious about Garoppolo…what gives regarding him? I thought he was a pretty good QB…what am I missing here as to why it appears that no other team seems to want him? Is he a cancer or drama case internally, is he up and down, consistently inconsistent so to speak?

Dejaview

All Pro
Still wouldn’t bother me to have a pissed off, motived, chip on his shoulder Baker Mayfield on this team this year.

Especially if he reworks his contract.
Well you will have a pissed off, motivated Mayfield or a pissed off, motivated Mills. Mills is cheaper and Baker can easily be replaced by a cheaper QB in the draft if needed, but I’m easily betting on Mills.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Well you will have a pissed off, motivated Mayfield or a pissed off, motivated Mills. Mills is cheaper and Baker can easily be replaced by a cheaper QB in the draft if needed, but I’m easily betting on Mills.
I’m hoping mills can bring it, but I’m betting Baker is the better QB right now.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The media never wants us to have anything good. This is a Trojan Horse.
A Jan 2022 article. Things have changed immensely since then. The Browns are desperate.........the Texans aren't. These convoluted Texans trade scenarios tell me that people have gotten bored with crossword puzzles and are in need of filling their time.........with anything.

Last edited:

wildroot

Rookie
If Baker is the better QB I would say its only because he has more years in the NFL and more talent around him. I have seen nothing from Baker himself to make me think he is just flat out better than Mills.
You'd have to take into consideration that he doesn't know our offense either, so that would put him behind Mills as well.
Either way, I'd just as soon Mayfield take his show someplace else

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Mills is going to be well worth that 3rd round pick either for us as a keeper, or trading him for a profit in draft capital. However you look at it, that pick is going to be worth it to us in the long run. Really good backups, which I consider Mills low-bar, are something teams in dire need of will pay for.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I'm indifferent about Easterby.

I dont think he's really got much of a role down on Kirby, other than to be a conduit between Ownership and the players. I happen to believe that many (Not you) dont like him because of his religious belifs and the fact that they consider him to be a phony. I've never met the man before or have I seen enough evidence to suggest that this is true. I'm very happy he was part of the equation to lure Caserio to Kirby.

In short I believe you and alot of fans have bought into the media BS that's been put out there by long time Bob McNair people that were let go and had an axe to grind. Fact is I'm very happy that faction of the FO is gone since in give or take they did very little to help promote putting a contending team on the field. In fact they may have been a detriment to putting a contending team on the field since under Bob McNair's and their leadership the Texans didn't have to put a winning team on the field to become one of the most profitable franchises in the NFL.

Now that Easterby's in the building the only way to get the fans back into the stadium is going to be by having to build a contending on field product. The Vinny saying of the Houston Texans are a marketing team with a football division is finally dead and buried and I'm so glad that this finally happened. It's about time.

Whether we like it or not Easterby being down on Kirby has forced the Texans org to change the way they've done business since their inception. With this said if I read tomorrow Cal fired Easterby I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought. As a person or an employee he's very insignificant to me and how the Texans operate and in a weird way has served his purpose very well in doing what he was hired to do. Effect change and take out the trash in both the FO/On field side of the Texans org.

Change is difficult, but change was badly needed if the Texans are ever going to be true contenders on the field.
Good point and one people tend to forget.
Easterby gets to onboard new players and be part of the FO, but I doubt he tells Carstereo how to do his job.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
And they as a whole have more purchasing power than the average informed fan. That’s why ownership has the freedom to not care about putting an average product on the field.

I can say with absolute certainty that ownership does care about the quality of the product on the field.

They might not have known how to go about it until they got a GM but Cal wants to win just as much as any of us.

He just has to keep Janice from meddling .... and that's a difficult task when she's the one who ultimately cuts the checks.