Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Baker Mayfield landing spots: Going to Carolina

Dejaview

All Pro
Great comments and insight mi amigos. Being in Kansas, I get zero chance to see games, that being said…

What is your thoughts and comments on Mills moving forward from here? Is he a solid QB for moving forward?
lol, I live in Texas and I have zero chance to see games. I’m still bummed that the Raiders didn’t move to the Austin-San Antonio area. Huge mistake no doubt derailed by Jerry Jones.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I haven’t seen much football this season apart from the Texans, so I don’t really know what’s been up with Baker Mayfield, but I would think that he is a prime candidate to have a really good career as a reclaimation project.

I would not view any trade as being a 1 year loan but an investment in the next 10 years, with the chance to save ourselves a high top 10 QB pick, or even multiple.

Watson for Baker, Kareem Hunt and some draft compensation would be a serious haul to me. Even if Mayfield can’t be what he should be, solve the running back position, fix OL through the draft. I’d be optimistic.
I don't see him as a good candidate for reclamation, he's had a stacked team around him that was built for him, a coach of the year guiding him and every chance in the world to succeed. Yet the Browns are still stuck in the middle of the pack which granted is a step up but not enough to justify the investments they have made. I don't want another teams cast off QB specially from Cleveland where QB careers go to die. Even Hunt I would be very careful about taking because RBs with ankle injuries are like race horses with bad legs. He might be fine but is it really worth the chance when we would be gambling with our biggest trade asset?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The primary fallacy in this article isn't that all these teams want him, it's that he's worth writing about in the first place. I can't remember the last time a QB has been marketed for this long while delivering so little.
Agents

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I used the word awful because he's one of those QB's just good enough to keep you from drafting another one, but somehow doesn't come thru when he needs to throw the team on his back and it matters most. He's middle of the road to me.
Tell me how you know this? But I know what you mean, I felt the same way about Derrick.

If true, that means that no QB in that draft was worth a crap.

I was referring to Mills in this post, sorry I got off track.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Great comments and insight mi amigos. Being in Kansas, I get zero chance to see games, that being said…

What is your thoughts and comments on Mills moving forward from here? Is he a solid QB for moving forward?
My previous post was about Mills.

I'm thinking we don't know and won't know until they can develop a running game around Mills. It takes time.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
He's just covering. Mark my words Baker wants out of Cleveland and Houston is his number one landing spot. I know this to be true because the boyfriend of the roommate of my best friend's, cousin's ex-girlfriend does the yardwork for a guy who is really close to Baker and he overheard him saying it on the phone.

and just in case its needed for some.

:kitten:

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
He's just covering. Mark my words Baker wants out of Cleveland and Houston is his number one landing spot. I know this to be true because the boyfriend of the roommate of my best friend's, cousin's ex-girlfriend does the yardwork for a guy who is really close to Baker and he overheard him saying it on the phone.

and just in case its needed for some.

:kitten:
You say all that and all I can think of is:

1C6963224-ss-110805-teachers-beuller.jpg

"Thank you Simone"

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Mary Kay Cabot has reported on the Browns and NFL before Baker was a glint in his father's eye. She referenced several Mayfield quotes in the article. If anyone has an honest assessment of the Browns and their situation, it's her.

I want no part of Mayfield the player. But if I did like Baker as a QB, he and his wife's constant complaining on social media would turn me off to him.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Mary Kay Cabot has reported on the Browns and NFL before Baker was a glint in his father's eye. She referenced several Mayfield quotes in the article. If anyone has an honest assessment of the Browns and their situation, it's her.

I want no part of Mayfield the player. But if I did like Baker as a QB, he and his wife's constant complaining on social media would turn me off to him.
Don’t assume experience gives someone immediate and absolute credibility.

Signed,

Dan Rather, Brian Williams, John McClain, Jay Glazer, Adam Schaffer, etc.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I’d take Baker Mayfield and his contract off the Browns hands…provided CB- Greedy Williams is part of the package.

Once Mayfield is gone or on his way out the door, Watson would probably be the name most associated with replacing him. The Browns have a team that should peak Watson’s interest since they are truly a QB1 away from being serious contenders.

Might as well bundle this under one nice and complete trade.

Browns Get:
Deshaun Watson

Texans Get:
Baker Mayfield
Greedy Williams
RD1
RD2

RD1
RD3

RD1

Again, the Texans would have zero need for Mayfield so I would immediately flip him. My ideal trade:

Bears Get:
Baker Mayfield **1 Yr Left on Contract**

Texans Get:
Nick Foles

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
And his response tells you all you need to know about him. Immature. Sure it may be clickbait, but just shut the hell up and ignore it.
Oh and he’s a pedestrian QB
Disagree.

If someone is going to throw mud on my name then I am going to say something. Especially if there isn’t any truth to it.

Reporters get away with murder these days and enjoy the privilege of crafting what they want the truth to be. If it ain’t true then they need to be called out on it.

But that’s just my opinion.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Disagree.

If someone is going to throw mud on my name then I am going to say something. Especially if there isn’t any truth to it.

Reporters get away with murder these days and enjoy the privilege of crafting what they want the truth to be. If it ain’t true then they need to be called out on it.

True…
But he’s just butt hurt because he’s not as good as he thinks he is and he’s reading all about it now.
I’m just sayin, he should just leave it alone and move along.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Disagree.

Yep, just look at the news and the stuff that's blatantly lies that they makeup.

Cant trust the media.

See: Jeff Luhnow

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Disagree.

While I do agree with not letting people get away with writing false information at the same time there are more professional ways to handle it.

He just made an enemy out of a long time, widely read reporter by linking her article in particular when he could have kept it general with things like “I’m happy here in Cleveland and have no plans to leave”.Like I said there were ways to achieve the same thing without looking like a teenager throwing a twitter rant.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
While I do agree with not letting people get away with writing false information at the same time there are more professional ways to handle it.

He just made an enemy out of a long time, widely read reporter by linking her article in particular when he could have kept it general with things like “I’m happy here in Cleveland and have no plans to leave”.Like I said there were ways to achieve the same thing without looking like a teenager throwing a twitter rant.
I wouldn’t classify that as a Twitter rant. That is more of a guy that has been injured most of the season playing through it. Then he has the media bashing him creating doubt.

I think today’s exchanges on Twitter are common place and the new norm. Some can be rants but some aren’t.

This is a Twitter rant:

And this:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

So it’s better for a paid reporter to pull crap out of thin air that'll start a media circus he'll have to deal with?

I see nothing wrong with what Baker did.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That is more of a guy that has been injured most of the season playing through it.
He got a little boo-boo on his off shoulder.

I don't think it was his injury. He needs to adjust his game. Manage the offense, don't let the defenses manage him.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

I don't think it was his injury. He needs to adjust his game. Manage the offense, don't let the defenses manage him.
It ain’t a boo boo if it requires surgery to fix. And he probably aggravated it more so playing through it.

Just saying reporters these days have “sources” that could mean the bum on the street. Or a front office executive tryin to create a story line. Never seen that before John McClain. Or an owner like Dan Snyder.

The professionalism of players can hardly exist with today’s reporting always looking for dirt or creating it out of thin air.

Players should have the right to defend themselves. Not go on tirades. But say something.

Like this (kidding):

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

While I agree with you, my didain for the media makes me love when anybody calls out media members.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

He tore the labrum in his non throwing shoulder, that's not what I would call a little boo boo. IMHO That's very painful. He probably played this yr taking painkillers, which would also help explain atleast part of his poor performance.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I'm indifferent about Easterby.

I dont think he's really got much of a role down on Kirby, other than to be a conduit between Ownership and the players. I happen to believe that many (Not you) dont like him because of his religious belifs and the fact that they consider him to be a phony. I've never met the man before or have I seen enough evidence to suggest that this is true. I'm very happy he was part of the equation to lure Caserio to Kirby.

In short I believe you and alot of fans have bought into the media BS that's been put out there by long time Bob McNair people that were let go and had an axe to grind. Fact is I'm very happy that faction of the FO is gone since in give or take they did very little to help promote putting a contending team on the field. In fact they may have been a detriment to putting a contending team on the field since under Bob McNair's and their leadership the Texans didn't have to put a winning team on the field to become one of the most profitable franchises in the NFL.

Now that Easterby's in the building the only way to get the fans back into the stadium is going to be by having to build a contending on field product. The Vinny saying of the Houston Texans are a marketing team with a football division is finally dead and buried and I'm so glad that this finally happened. It's about time.

Whether we like it or not Easterby being down on Kirby has forced the Texans org to change the way they've done business since their inception. With this said if I read tomorrow Cal fired Easterby I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought. As a person or an employee he's very insignificant to me and how the Texans operate and in a weird way has served his purpose very well in doing what he was hired to do. Effect change and take out the trash in both the FO/On field side of the Texans org.

Change is difficult, but change was badly needed if the Texans are ever going to be true contenders on the field.
Now they have a cultural team with a football division. I'd say your takes on Easterbunny are naïve at best, and rather ill informed. If you can't see the havoc that the Preacher has been wreaking since the day he walked into the building, I don't know what to tell you. And yes very casual fans likely don't know who he is, but Houston is a football town. Real fans know who he is. Everyone I speak to that is a "real" fan has a disdain for what he (with a huge assist from BOB) has done to this team. I'm not talking about the football crazed people that live and breathe football - but just the everyday fan that watches the games and generally keeps up with the comings and goings down on Kirby.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If you can't see the havoc that the Preacher has been wreaking since the day he walked into the building, I don't know what to tell you.
All we had to brag about were Division Titles. No one here was happy cheering about Division Titles. No one wanted to go to the Division Title parade.

I think a little bit of havoc was warranted. & we all wanted it. I know we didn't want what we saw... but it is what it is.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Now they have a cultural team with a football division. I'd say your takes on Easterbunny are naïve at best, and rather ill informed. If you can't see the havoc that the Preacher has been wreaking since the day he walked into the building, I don't know what to tell you. And yes very casual fans likely don't know who he is, but Houston is a football town. Real fans know who he is. Everyone I speak to that is a "real" fan has a disdain for what he (with a huge assist from BOB) has done to this team. I'm not talking about the football crazed people that live and breathe football - but just the everyday fan that watches the games and generally keeps up with the comings and goings down on Kirby.
People like to have a villain. Most wanted.

But you know what has wrecked the Texans more than Easterby?

Deshaun Watson chasing Instagram massage therapists. If he didn’t have allegations of forcing himself on women and wanting a finger in the butt we could have done traded him.

It is a possibility that Texans won’t get anything for him after spending two firsts.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member

Deshaun Watson chasing Instagram massage therapists. If he didn’t have allegations of forcing himself on women and wanting a finger in the butt we could have done traded him.

It is a possibility that Texans won’t get anything for him after spending two firsts.
Were we on a path to success while he was here competing and having a career year last season?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm not naiive I just realize what Easterby was brought here to do. He's done his job and now the Texans org will be forced to change if they want the fanbase back. After 20 years of failure I can't see how you would think that change would be a bad thing.

I also believe Cal when he said he's letting Caserio run the football operations. Obviously you don't, but I've seen nothing so far to make me think any differently. Do you?

Texansballer74

The Marine
So what exactly did he do? I mean can we be more specific ?

Texansballer74

The Marine

Add in Bill O’Brien being the biggest culprit

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
All we had to brag about were Division Titles. No one here was happy cheering about Division Titles. No one wanted to go to the Division Title parade.

I think a little bit of havoc was warranted. & we all wanted it. I know we didn't want what we saw... but it is what it is.
Nobody wants havoc. They want a legitimate winner contending for titles. All those OB teams throwing up those division titles weren’t that. Not one of those teams were ever a real contender. Taking advantage of weaker teams on the schedule and a weak division? Absolutely. But contenders for a title? Never.

I don’t have a problem with a division title because it means you’re in the playoffs, and you have zero chance to win a title if you don’t make the playoffs. But just because you’re in the playoffs, particularly the way it’s set up where all you have to do is be better than the 3 teams in your division, doesn’t necessarily make you title contenders either. That was the OB Texans.

He beat the doors off the Titans and Jags, winning 4 or 5 division games a year, meaning all he had to hope for was 5-6 more bad to mediocre teams on the schedule to get a playoff berth. And of course, every time they played a better team, the smoke and mirrors didn’t work for some reason. Well, that reason was, they were mediocre themselves, the best of, the tallest midget, whatever term you want to use. They were never true contenders.

And now, thanks in large part to his incredible GM skills, along with the snake oil salesman who was his right hand man and who is still in the building and in charge of FOOTBALL OPERATIONS, they aren’t even mediocre any more.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Were we on a path to success while he was here competing and having a career year last season?
Would it be much easier if we could trade the top 5 QB who didn’t want to be here for the 3 firsts that Miami is willing to pay?

Would it put us on this path to success much faster and easier?

That’s the point. Not of where we were, but where we are headed. And we are stuck in this purgatory waiting for him to settle his lawsuits. And if we don’t get anything for him that makes our rebuild that much harder. And that makes everything we spent on him, including the trade for Tunsil a useless endeavor. OB went all in and sacrificed the future for winning for the now. All he got to show for it was 51-7.

Then the fallout of Hopkins happened with the eventual fallout of Watson who wanted a trade because he started feeling the heat from the potential lawsuits and Cal wouldn’t help him. Allegedly.

Your question had nothing to do with what I posted but I am willing to go down that road.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Nobody wants havoc. They want a legitimate winner contending for titles. All those OB teams throwing up those division titles weren’t that. Not one of those teams were ever a real contender. Taking advantage of weaker teams on the schedule and a weak division? Absolutely. But contenders for a title? Never.

I don’t have a problem with a division title because it means you’re in the playoffs, and you have zero chance to win a title if you don’t make the playoffs. But just because you’re in the playoffs, particularly the way it’s set up where all you have to do is be better than the 3 teams in your division, doesn’t necessarily make you title contenders either. That was the OB Texans.

He beat the doors off the Titans and Jags, winning 4 or 5 division games a year, meaning all he had to hope for was 5-6 more bad to mediocre teams on the schedule to get a playoff berth. And of course, every time they played a better team, the smoke and mirrors didn’t work for some reason. Well, that reason was, they were mediocre themselves, the best of, the tallest midget, whatever term you want to use. They were never true contenders.

And now, thanks in large part to his incredible GM skills, along with the snake oil salesman who was his right hand man and who is still in the building and in charge of FOOTBALL OPERATIONS, they aren’t even mediocre any more.
I thought it was the GM's job to gather the talent enough to put together a true contender? This is something that has never happened since the Texans inception. From Casserly/RS/Gaine and finally BOB. Hopefully this changes now that Caserio is in charge. He's the 1st GM to have total say over football operations. Atleast that's what Cal told us. You must think Cal's a liar. Easterby ain't running the football operations. His job was to cleanup the mess left by RS/Gaine/BOB/FO and the player shenanigans that guys like Derrick/Hopkins etc... were involved in. These Shenanigans were also being done by FO personnel. (See lawsuits that were brought against the Texans org.)

It was a tough job but somebody had to do it and know that they were going to become a villain down on Kirby. Good news is all of the trash has almost been taken out and the rebuild that was badly needed if the Texans org is ever going to become true contenders has begun. Despite what some think and depending on if Caserio is able to trade a Sexual Predator the rebuild may not take as long as some think.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Sounds like you wanted things mixed up on Kirby. Well, it's mixed. We'll see what they can do in two or three years

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Would it be much easier if we could trade the top 5 QB who didn’t want to be here for the 3 firsts that Miami is willing to pay?

Would it put us on this path to success much faster and easier?

That’s the point. Not of where we were, but where we are headed. And we are stuck in this purgatory waiting for him to settle his lawsuits. And if we don’t get anything for him that makes our rebuild that much harder. And that makes everything we spent on him, including the trade for Tunsil a useless endeavor. OB went all in and sacrificed the future for winning for the now. All he got to show for it was 51-7.

Then the fallout of Hopkins happened with the eventual fallout of Watson who wanted a trade because he started feeling the heat from the potential lawsuits and Cal wouldn’t help him. Allegedly.

Your question had nothing to do with what I posted but I am willing to go down that road.
The team in 2 yrs if they can trade Derrick will be so much better. Stocked with young talent and cap space if Caserio does his job properly. Instead of being a thin at best team with a selfish 40 mil per yr QB playing for his own glory.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Sounds like you wanted things mixed up on Kirby. Well, it's mixed. We'll see what they can do in two or three years
If you mean I wanted a complete overhaul because in my mind they have no other choice, then yeah. Wake me up when that process begins though.

Big offseason for Caserio. His mulligan season is over. Re-signing a 32 year old ex-Patriot RB, and being adamant that Kelly is staying on doesn’t give me any warm fuzzies though. I’m sure the re-signing of Amendola is right around the corner.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If you mean I wanted a complete overhaul because in my mind they have no other choice, then yeah. Wake me up when that process begins though.

Big offseason for Caserio. His mulligan season is over. Re-signing a 32 year old ex-Patriot RB, and being adamant that Kelly is staying on doesn’t give me any warm fuzzies though. I’m sure the re-signing of Amendola is right around the corner.
Ok

GanadoUHCoog

Waterboy
No No No to Baker! He is clearly not a top 10 franchise QB which is what you are ALWAYS looking for until you have one. I’d pay him backup $ ($5-10M per year and tell him to shut up on social media but that’s it). Pay him big money and make him your guy and struggle to .500 seasons and always have drama with him. Nope. Nope.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Again defense screwed us that year. It would’ve been a successful year if Watt and company would’ve held onto leads.
Maybe if they hadn't been throwing the ball every down and he had been able to sustain drives instead of looking for the big play/ homerun all of the time, the defense would've been well rested and able to hold those leads instead of being worn out by being on the field so much.

Derrick's stats were mostly flash and very little substance when it came to winning games. Good news is all of this (One way or the other) will be over soon enough. I'm just hoping that if Derrick beats the rap that a GM looks at things the way you do and not the way I do. Most likely there will be a GM out there that will agree with you and that's a good thing.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Maybe if they hadn't been throwing the ball every down and he had been able to sustain drives instead of looking for the big play/ homerun all of the time, the defense would've been well rested and able to hold those leads instead of being worn out by being on the field so much.

Derrick's stats were mostly flash and very little substance when it came to winning games. Good news is all of this (One way or the other) will be over soon enough. I'm just hoping that if Derrick beats the rap that a GM looks at things the way you do and not the way I do. Most likely there will be a GM out there that will agree with you and that's a good thing.
This year. You finally acknowledge that the talent at RB and OL is subpar and impacts the QB. Yet, in this post you are saying that same talent with Nick Martin should have been able to sustain drives? What makes you think the same OC, OL (Tunsil, Heck, Howard) and RB (Johnson) that couldn't be relied on to sustain drives this year should have done it in 2020? What changed?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This year. You finally acknowledge that the talent at RB and OL is subpar and impacts the QB. Yet, in this post you are saying that same talent with Nick Martin should have been able to sustain drives? What makes you think the same OC, OL (Tunsil, Heck, Howard) and RB (Johnson) that couldn't be relied on to sustain drives this year should have done it in 2020? What changed?
They invested in the OL with Tunsil/Howard/Scharping. The draft picks ended up being busts.

Johnson has barely played this yr and didn't play much last yr.

They've done a better job of sustaining drives this yr than last yr. Still not very good though.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
They invested in the OL with Tunsil/Howard/Scharping. The draft picks ended up being busts.

Johnson has barely played this yr and didn't play much last yr.

They've done a better job of sustaining drives this yr than last yr. Still not very good though.
Wait a minute. David Johnson started 12 games last year and rushed 147 times. This year he started 4 games and only 62 carries. That is significantly more playing time than he did in 2021. Also, how did they do a better job sustaining drives when the 2021 Texans are one of the worst 2nd half scoring teams in NFL history?

Your analysis doesn't match what happened on the field in 2021.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Wait a minute. David Johnson started 12 games last year and rushed 147 times. This year he started 4 games and only 62 carries. That is significantly more playing time than he did in 2020. Also, how did they do a better job sustaining drives when the 2021 Texans are one of the worst 2nd half scoring teams in NFL history?

Your analysis doesn't match what happened on the field in 2021.
They usually had 1 sustained drive per game in most games. They didn't do that last year. Still terrible though.

This won't show in most stats.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club