Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Baker Mayfield landing spots: Going to Carolina

We ride and die with Mills this year. If he sucks we get a high draft pick and will draft a QB. If he doesn’t, we will get a middle of the pack draft pick and know not to draft a QB. We will be able to draft elsewhere.

So die=he sucks, ride=equals anything else? What if he’s Goff or Wentz or Minshew?

We got two more drafts to go where we can always get a QB if needed. Even if Mills doesn't shine this year, they can still hold off another year before going into panic mode. If need be, Mills can have a two year try out as starter before the Texans have to make that choice. This team still has a ways to go before a superstar QB can actually do them any good.

We got two more drafts to go where we can always get a QB if needed. Even if Mills doesn't shine this year, they can still hold off another year before going into panic mode. If need be, Mills can have a two year try out as starter before the Texans have to make that choice. This team still has a ways to go before a superstar QB can actually do them any good.
Perhaps but I am not sure fans are going to accept 2021 wasted year to resolve Watson then 2022 and 2023 to allow Mills to develop then draft QB in 2024 to probably be ready to lead to playoffs in 2025. Even if roster ready to handle rookie in 24 fans not going to be ok with it.

So die=he sucks, ride=equals anything else? What if he’s Goff or Wentz or Minshew?

What if your aunt had a pair of nuts?

I would take Minshew over Goff and Wentz though. I don’t think Philly is sold on Hurts and are keeping Minshew as insurance. That guy got the same treatment as Baker.

Mayfield for a 5th should've been an option for the Texans too especially for 1 year. I mean, what do you have to lose trading for a guy who went 7-9 on a team that won 1 game in 2 years before he got there. It seems Texans are always hustling backwards.

Rather see what Mills can do and if he’s not the guy take a swing on a Rookie in the upcoming class.

Baker is not even close to being the main reason the Browns had a couple of decent seasons and the leagues valuation of him shows that.

Rather see what Mills can do and if he’s not the guy take a swing on a Rookie in the upcoming class.

Baker is not even close to being the main reason the Browns had a couple of decent seasons and the leagues valuation of him shows that.
Do you remember the roster his rookie year and how he performed?

So Mayfield would be the missing piece to the Texans 2022 playoff puzzle? Nah. The Texans can lose without Baker as easily as they would have with him. By sitting on his hands, Caserio wins.
When the say create competition, why leave the qb out of it? When Seahawks said its an open competition with Russell and the newly signed Flynn, people laughed. If Mills is the guy, wouldn't you think he could win the job ahead of Mayfield coming off shoulder surgery? I mean, aren't you improving the team chances to win with competition at the qb spot or if Mills get injured or hurt? Yall remember Sage vs Schaub? Scgaub never really won it until he actually won the job

The fastest way to the playoffs and legitimacy is via the qb, a franchise qb. Look no further than the Bengals. If Miami had chosen the right qb, they would be in the superbowl talk even after dismantling their team 3 years ago.

When the say create competition, why leave the qb out of it? When Seahawks said its an open competition with Russell and the newly signed Flynn, people laughed. If Mills is the guy, wouldn't you think he could win the job ahead of Mayfield coming off shoulder surgery? I mean, aren't you improving the team chances to win with competition at the qb spot or if Mills get injured or hurt? Yall remember Sage vs Schaub? Scgaub never really won it until he actually won the job

Because it's not always about competition. Competition doesn't always make things better. You could be sacrificing the long term for the short term. At this point in his career, Baker Mayfield is probably as good as he's going to get. Mills still has a lot of potential. But Mills is probably not going to reach that potential unless he gets reps and if Baker Mayfield comes in, he's going to be sucking up reps that could have been going to Mills.

Mayfield is also going to be a cancer in the locker room unless he's the starter. And he has been, at best, a mediocre, average starter on a team loaded with talent.

And what I remember about Sage vs. Schaub is that it was a fan thing more than an actual competition thing, a classic case of the guy on the bench being the favorite guy in town. It was Schaub's job. Period. He was brought in to be the starter. Then he got injured and Sage came in and some fans got all excited thinking that Sage was going to be some great savior. But he wasn't. And the whole Rosencopter should have put all that crap to bed.

But that's just me.

Because it's not always about competition. Competition doesn't always make things better. You could be sacrificing the long term for the short term. At this point in his career, Baker Mayfield is probably as good as he's going to get. Mills still has a lot of potential. But Mills is probably not going to reach that potential unless he gets reps and if Baker Mayfield comes in, he's going to be sucking up reps that could have been going to Mills.

Mayfield is also going to be a cancer in the locker room unless he's the starter. And he has been, at best, a mediocre, average starter on a team loaded with talent.

And what I remember about Sage vs. Schaub is that it was a fan thing more than an actual competition thing, a classic case of the guy on the bench being the favorite guy in town. It was Schaub's job. Period. He was brought in to be the starter. Then he got injured and Sage came in and some fans got all excited thinking that Sage was going to be some great savior. But he wasn't. And the whole Rosencopter should have put all that crap to bed.

But that's just me.
I've never heard of competition being a bad thing especially when a player is unestablished. Cream rises to the top correct? Competition suppose to bring out the best or has that changed?

I've never heard of competition being a bad thing especially when a player is unestablished. Cream rises to the top correct? Competition suppose to bring out the best or has that changed?

So why weren't you advocating for a Baker Mayfield type trade when Watson was coming off knee surgery entering his second season? He wasn't established yet.

You don't want a competition between your young QB with starting potential and someone like Baker Mayfield. It'll be a complete sideshow distraction that will bring guaranteed failure to all parties involved. Baker Mayfield is exactly where he needs to be.. proving He should start over another discarded top 3 QB taken in the 2018 draft. We don't need that crap here, especially after all the embarrassing headlines the Texans have been drug into over the last 2 years. I'm ready to watch someone else run the circus.

Also how is Casserio and Lovie supposed to have any credibility with their players after telling everyone Mills is their guy for months only just to bring in someone like Mayfield or Garoppolo at the last minute before camp starts. The Texans have made a lot of stupid decisions over the years, this would just be another one to compound all the previous ones.

If the Texans really felt that they needed competition they would've already added someone in FA, the draft, or via trade. Maybe just maybe they genuinely feel they already have their starter for the future... and no team who feels that way is going to trade for a Baker Mayfield (or Garoppolo). Hence why NO ONE was advocating for such a trade after Watson's rookie year.

Last edited:
When the say create competition, why leave the qb out of it?
There is a QB competition. It's between Davis Mills and a possible 1st round QB in the 2023 draft. If Mills shows he's the guy, the Texans spend there draft capital somewhere else. If not, welcome the next QB savior.
The fastest way to the playoffs and legitimacy is via the qb, a franchise qb.
Playoffs? Playoffs? Are you kidding me? Playoffs? Let's see if the Texans can win more than 4 games. Playoffs.

If you've got a few guys and you don't know what they can do, then you have them compete for the job.

If you have a young guy that you want to develop, then you have to think more strategically. Will it be better for that player to sit on the bench and watch until he's ready, or will he learn better by going out there and actually playing? How bad is it going to be for your record to get him that time?

And realize that if you're having a competition, then those players are sharing reps with the starters. That means that whoever wins that competition and gets the nod to start won't be as good or prepared or have as good chemistry with the other players as they would have been if you gave them the starting position up front. For some positions, that doesn't matter as much but for the QB, it can be critical.

Now, with that said, that's my viewpoint on it. I don't know how many coaches in the NFL agree or disagree with that.

If you've got a few guys and you don't know what they can do, then you have them compete for the job.

If you have a young guy that you want to develop, then you have to think more strategically. Will it be better for that player to sit on the bench and watch until he's ready, or will he learn better by going out there and actually playing? How bad is it going to be for your record to get him that time?

And realize that if you're having a competition, then those players are sharing reps with the starters. That means that whoever wins that competition and gets the nod to start won't be as good or prepared or have as good chemistry with the other players as they would have been if you gave them the starting position up front. For some positions, that doesn't matter as much but for the QB, it can be critical.

Now, with that said, that's my viewpoint on it. I don't know how many coaches in the NFL agree or disagree with that.

There's a hundred ways to do it. We've seen this play out in the NFL time & time again. No one way is "the way"

The Texans have chosen this way. Let's hope it works out.

I like Baker Mayfield. I think he's potentially the next Drew Brees, Steve Young, Rich Gannon. But I don't think he'd be that guy in Houston, not with all the Cleveland/Watson baggage attached to it.

There's a hundred ways to do it. We've seen this play out in the NFL time & time again. No one way is "the way"

I like Baker Mayfield. I think he's potentially the next Drew Brees, Steve Young, Rich Gannon. But I don't think he'd be that guy in Houston, not with all the Cleveland/Watson baggage attached to it.

I don't think the Texans chose this way, this is the way they found themselves in (thanks to you know who). If Mills actually played like a 3rd rounder we wouldn't be having this conversation, but he didn't. He outplayed the #1 ovrl pick who's supposed to be a generational talent and at worst was the 2nd best rookie (was the best down the stretch) in a highly touted QB class. By dumb luck the Texans might've found the guy who can pull them out of this mess and I want to see if he can. By his play last year he's earned the opportunity.

Also if I thought Mayfield was the next Brees, Young, or Gannon I'd have no problem trading for him.. hell who wouldn't, he'd be a future HOFer. I don't think he's anything close to that. He'll be lucky to have the type of career Ryan Fitzpatrick had, but that's not a knock on him, many do a lot worse.

Yeah, there are many different ways to approach it, including just thinking in terms of short-term. You don't have to think about developing your players. Some players can learn and improve sitting on the bench.

In our particular situation, I can easily see going with the strategy of giving time to Mills to see if we can develop him into a franchise guy.

That's an easier call for me because I'm not a big Mayfield fan. Sitting on the outside, we don't know if that was a hard or easy call for our coaching staff. Different members of the coaching staff probably have opinions as varied as our own on him.

So why weren't you advocating for a Baker Mayfield type trade when Watson was coming off knee surgery entering his second season? He wasn't established yet.

You don't want a competition between your young QB with starting potential and someone like Baker Mayfield. It'll be a complete sideshow distraction that will bring guaranteed failure to all parties involved. Baker Mayfield is exactly where he needs to be.. proving He should start over another discarded top 3 QB taken in the 2018 draft. We don't need that crap here, especially after all the embarrassing headlines the Texans have been drug into over the last 2 years. I'm ready to watch someone else run the circus.

Also how is Casserio and Lovie supposed to have any credibility with their players after telling everyone Mills is their guy for months only just to bring in someone like Mayfield or Garoppolo at the last minute before camp starts. The Texans have made a lot of stupid decisions over the years, this would just be another one to compound all the previous ones.

If the Texans really felt that they needed competition they would've already added someone in FA, the draft, or via trade. Maybe just maybe they genuinely feel they already have their starter for the future... and no team who feels that way is going to trade for a Baker Mayfield (or Garoppolo). Hence why NO ONE was advocating for such a trade after Watson's rookie year.
Why did the Patriots draft a qb in the 4th rd when they already had Mac Jones? Qb development in any capacity can get a team the greatest return or am I trippin? If you're going to compare Watson after his rookie year and Mills after his rookie year, then I don't know what to say. A qb can be your guy, especially a 3rd rd pick, doesn't mean he has to be shielded from competition right? I mean hell, Troy Aikman had Steve Walsh drafted behind him as a supplimental 1st rd pick. Guess what they got for him? A couple of 1st rd picks.

If Mills actually played like a 3rd rounder we wouldn't be having this conversation, but he didn't. He outplayed the #1 ovrl pick who's supposed to be a generational talent and at worst was the 2nd best rookie (was the best down the stretch) in a highly touted QB class

keep in mind, everyone of the QBs drafted before Mills went to historically bad teams, except Mac Jones, with first time coaches like Robert Salah, college coaches, like Urban Myer, or lame ducks, like Matt Nagy.

Also if I thought Mayfield was the next Brees, Young, or Gannon I'd have no problem trading for him..

Drew Brees wouldn’t be Drew Brees if he was going to the team that traded Watson from the team that traded for Watson.

Tom Brady couldn’t overcome that crap.

Why did the Patriots draft a qb in the 4th rd when they already had Mac Jones? Qb development in any capacity can get a team the greatest return or am I trippin? If you're going to compare Watson after his rookie year and Mills after his rookie year, then I don't know what to say. A qb can be your guy, especially a 3rd rd pick, doesn't mean he has to be shielded from competition right? I mean hell, Troy Aikman had Steve Walsh drafted behind him as a supplimental 1st rd pick. Guess what they got for him? A couple of 1st rd picks.
I think the Texans should have found a way to get Drew Lock.

Can’t think of anyone else that would push Davis, that would make sense to bring in.

Kevin Hogan, from Stanford, & Kyle Allen, I can see why the Texans chose them. Don’t really think anyone else would have made a difference. It’s Mills’ job to lose.

keep in mind, everyone of the QBs drafted before Mills went to historically bad teams, except Mac Jones, with first time coaches like Robert Salah, college coaches, like Urban Myer, or lame ducks, like Matt Nagy.

Drew Brees wouldn’t be Drew Brees if he was going to the team that traded Watson from the team that traded for Watson.

Tom Brady couldn’t overcome that crap.

Houston was in the same situation as those other bad teams last season.. Mills probably had the worst talented roster to work with.

I think the Texans should have found a way to get Drew Lock.

Can’t think of anyone else that would push Davis, that would make sense to bring in.

Kevin Hogan, from Stanford, & Kyle Allen, I can see why the Texans chose them. Don’t really think anyone else would have made a difference. It’s Mills’ job to lose.

I still think Nick Foles would’ve been the best move. Just having Foles there would’ve been competition, but in the end it would still be Mills lining up as QB1. Foles would then move to his most favorable and successful NFL position….QB2. What Foles could’ve provided better than any of the other backup QB on this roster, true mentorship from a veteran and Super Bowl winning QB.

Back