Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

bah007 2018 Texans Mock

bah007

Hall of Fame
Mock drafts are pointless enough as it is (but enjoyable), but I'm predicting a trade up in this one to make it even more so. If this guy is on the board late enough where we can go up and get him then I think that's something the Texans should look into.

I have the Texans trading 3.68 and 3.80 to the Chargers for 2.48 and 6.191. That works out pretty closely on the value chart and I think it's a reasonable trade for both teams.

To determine who would be available at each selection, I combined some of the national ranking sites that I trust and averaged out their rankings. Here's what I got:

2.48 - Tyrell Crosby - OT, Oregon
  • We get our RT of the future with this trade up. I don't think he will ever be a LT and he may struggle against speed as a pass protector, but I think he is a pretty safe bet to be in the NFL for a long time as a starting RT. I think he's a pretty safe prospect. My personal #3 at OT. Higher floor than McGlinchey and Williams but lower ceiling.
3.98 - Dorance Armstrong - OLB, Kansas
  • Strong, athletic pass rusher. You can't ever have too many of these and with the way injuries have piled up for us lately I think we need to grab another talented one to throw into the mix. My #10 EDGE defender. These guys are going to be flying off the board.
4.103 - Troy Fumagalli - TE, Wisconsin
  • This guy just jumped out to me whenever I watched Wisconsin play. He does everything well at TE. I really like his versatility. He has great hands, he runs good routes, and he'll get dirty in the blocking game. Probably an instant starter for us. My #4 TE.
6.177 - Avonte Maddox - CB, Pittsburgh
  • Nickel defender who won't be able to play outside corner but can cover in the slot and play special teams. Really good athlete, tough, good tackler despite his lack of size. Also an excellent blitzer. My #11 CB, but apparently still available here due to his lack of size.
6.191 - Justin Watson - WR, Penn
  • Big WR that dominated a lower level of competition. He tested extremely well. I don't think he is quite the athlete in pads that he is in drills but I think he has the physical tools to be a #3 or #4 WR. Needs to polish his routes. Won in college mostly on size. My #12 WR, but ranked much lower everywhere I looked.
6.211 - Justin Jackson - RB, Northwestern
  • One of my favorite guys in this class. Undersized but just gets it done. Great zone runner. Tough, great feet, great vision, great athleticism. He is the total package just not fully sized. He won't be your bell cow but find a way to get this kid the ball ten times per game and he will reward you. My #9 RB. Not ranked high anywhere else due to size.
6.214 - Natrell Jamerson - S, Wisconsin
  • Only played S for one year after playing WR and then CB. Not going to make plays in the box but he can tackle. He can cover slots, he can play deep zone, and he is a monster on special teams. One of the best gunners in the country. My #9 S, apparently not ranked highly by others due to lack of experience.
7.222 - Ryan Nall - FB, Oregon St
  • Nall's roster spot will be as our FB, but he is also a jumbo RB and a situational H-Back. He was a good runner in college. Very patient, great vision, and good feet to get into the hole. Not athletic enough to be a full-time RB, but I like his experience as a FB/H-Back and think he's a better fit there long-term. My #2 FB. Most have him listed as a RB and not ranked.

Last edited:
Crosby reminds me of Chester Pitts. Probably not an ideal LT, but can get by in a pinch. Best suited at RT long term. I would make that deal, just for piece of mind.

Watson is very intriguing. Looks like a WCO WR with speed to get over the top. Maybe like Kevin Walters early on.

Nall is like a different version of Jaylen Samuels. He's a 3rd down back both in short yardage (RB-FB-HB) and in long yardage (stay in to block/draw play/screen). Probably a solid special teams guy. Provides great value at the back of a roster.

Crosby reminds me of Chester Pitts. Probably not an ideal LT, but can get by in a pinch. Best suited at RT long term. I would make that deal, just for piece of mind.

Watson is very intriguing. Looks like a WCO WR with speed to get over the top. Maybe like Kevin Walters early on.

Nall is like a different version of Jaylen Samuels. He's a 3rd down back both in short yardage (RB-FB-HB) and in long yardage (stay in to block/draw play/screen). Probably a solid special teams guy. Provides great value at the back of a roster.

Walters is exactly who I thought of when I saw highlights of Watson. Could do a lot worse than that in the sixth round.

Mock drafts are pointless enough as it is (but enjoyable), but I'm predicting a trade up in this one to make it even more so. If this guy is on the board late enough where we can go up and get him then I think that's something the Texans should look into.

I have the Texans trading 3.68 and 3.80 to the Chargers for 2.48 and 6.191. That works out pretty closely on the value chart and I think it's a reasonable trade for both teams.

To determine who would be available at each selection, I combined some of the national ranking sites that I trust and averaged out their rankings. Here's what I got:

2.48 - Tyrell Crosby - OT, Oregon
  • We get our RT of the future with this trade up. I don't think he will ever be a LT and he may struggle against speed as a pass protector, but I think he is a pretty safe bet to be in the NFL for a long time as a starting RT. I think he's a pretty safe prospect. My personal #3 at OT. Higher floor than McGlinchey and Williams but lower ceiling.
3.98 - Dorance Armstrong - OLB, Kansas
  • Strong, athletic pass rusher. You can't ever have too many of these and with the way injuries have piled up for us lately I think we need to grab another talented one to throw into the mix. My #10 EDGE defender. These guys are going to be flying off the board.
4.103 - Troy Fumagalli - TE, Wisconsin
  • This guy just jumped out to me whenever I watched Wisconsin play. He does everything well at TE. I really like his versatility. He has great hands, he runs good routes, and he'll get dirty in the blocking game. Probably an instant starter for us. My #4 TE.
6.177 - Avonte Maddox - CB, Pittsburgh
  • Nickel defender who won't be able to play outside corner but can cover in the slot and play special teams. Really good athlete, tough, good tackler despite his lack of size. Also an excellent blitzer. My #11 CB, but apparently still available here due to his lack of size.
6.191 - Justin Watson - WR, Penn
  • Big WR that dominated a lower level of competition. He tested extremely well. I don't think he is quite the athlete in pads that he is in drills but I think he has the physical tools to be a #3 or #4 WR. Needs to polish his routes. Won in college mostly on size. My #12 WR, but ranked much lower everywhere I looked.
6.211 - Justin Jackson - RB, Northwestern
  • One of my favorite guys in this class. Undersized but just gets it done. Great zone runner. Tough, great feet, great vision, great athleticism. He is the total package just not fully sized. He won't be your bell cow but find a way to get this kid the ball ten times per game and he will reward you. My #9 RB. Not ranked high anywhere else due to size.
6.214 - Natrell Jamerson - S, Wisconsin
  • Only played S for one year after playing WR and then CB. Not going to make plays in the box but he can tackle. He can cover slots, he can play deep zone, and he is a monster on special teams. One of the best gunners in the country. My #9 S, apparently not ranked highly by others due to lack of experience.
7.222 - Ryan Nall - FB, Oregon St
  • Nall's roster spot will be as our FB, but he is also a jumbo RB and a situational H-Back. He was a good runner in college. Very patient, great vision, and good feet to get into the hole. Not athletic enough to be a full-time RB, but I like his experience as a FB/H-Back and think he's a better fit there long-term. My #2 FB. Most have him listed as a RB and not ranked.

Like this mock alot.

Only differences are if a Richardson/Henderson are there I would pick one those guys over Armstrong although I like Armstrong.

I want a true ST's/3rd down RB. like Wadley/Ito Smith/Martez Carter.

Love the Nall pick, he's a great short ydg guy who has a feel for finding hole. He's also pretty good at catching the ball out of the backfield.

Last edited:
Back