Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Awtysst's Stupidly Early January Draft Thoughts

awtysst

Draft Guru
With the final snap of the final game of the season, we now know that our beloved Texans will be picking in the 15th slot in the draft. In my last two mocks, I had a scenario where we traded down. In an ideal world, I still think that this is the way to go, but as the old saying goes, it takes two to dance. Therefore, this mock will be one in which we stay put.

Also, please remember that the deadline for underclassman to declare has not yet come. Therefore, so people that are expected to declare will not and those that are not expected also will. In this mock I picked a player and then provided 2-3 alternate choices. So comment on my pick as well as alternates.

Please read through the choices and explanations and then rip it apart!

So here it is, without any further ado my January Mock Draft. I will not make another one until February.

1. B.J. Raji, Boston College-DT
I have been on this guy’s bandwagon for a while, but he is exactly what we need. One of the problems we had this season was stuffing the run. Those runners that went to the corners we were somewhat able to handle, but the ones that killed us, were those guys that ran forward. Some people might say that this pick means that Okoye is failure, but I disagree. Okoye has been playing out of position and has been asked to do things he is not suited. Raji can take up defenders and push the pile forward. I am convinced that with Mario on his side, Okoye will develop into a solid DT if he is placed in the right place. Johnson needs to backup Okoye and let this behemoth start.

Other possible selections: Taylor Mays, USC-FS, Alex Mack Cal-C, George Selvie USF-DE

2. Max Unger, Oregon-C
I have begun seeing several other mock drafts in which Alex Mack has been dropping into the middle of the second round. Personally, I can’t see how that could happen. He is easily the best C prospect in years and versatile to play a powerback system, west coast, ZBS, etc. I cannot see him falling into the mid second. If he did, he is the obvious choice, but again, since I don’t think he will fall that far, I am not considering him. I still think that Center is a problem position. How many times have we seen Steve Slaton approached 2 yards deep in backfield by defenders and then manage to squirm ahead for a 2 yard gain? The problem is that Myers is unable to hold the point of attack. By putting Unger in, we will consistently have a Olineman that pushes the line forward. This will be especially critical in the red zone.

Other possible selections: Tim Tebow,Florida(use him as the powerback compliment to Slaton, use him in the WildBull, use him as a secondary TE, ie get creative with him), Patrick Chung, Oregon-SS, Greg Hardy, Ole Miss -DE

3. Rashad Jennings, Liberty-RB
Slaton is a great player but he is not the pound it up the middle for a single yard kind of back. Part of that problem is center and this is addressed by Unger. Another part of it is we need a big strong back that can push the chains. Enter Rashad Jennings. Jennings transferred from Pitt to Liberty because of family issues and has single-handedly carried Liberty. He is 6’1 232 and has 4.5 speed. We suddenly have our own version of Thunder and Lightening. Team Jennings with Unger and those 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 just got very interesting for Texans fans.

Other possible selections: Shonn Greene,Iowa- RB, Auston English, Oklahoma- DE

4. Sean Smith,Utah- S
A versatile DB that can play either safety or CB position. He is the kind og guy that can inject passion and intensity into the DBs. He has been a terror to opponent D’s. Watch for him in the Sugar Bowl.

Other possible selections: Antoine Caldwell, Alabama-C, Brandon Swain, West Texas A&M-DE,

5. Ray Feinga, BYU-OG
We continue with the trenches and consider RG. Feinga has good feet and is quick for a big guard (6’5 329). I have not been impressed with Briesel and think he is more of a solid depth player than a starter. Feinga could walk in and start at RG for us. Putting him next to Winston will be terrific. Feinga is the kind of guy that is not pushed around. He along with Caldwell will be placed together and will push the line of scrimmage forward, not backward. Now, all those plays in which the pocket has collapsed around our QB or Slaton getting tackled in the backfield will be a thing of the past with these two new additions to the line.

Other possible selections: Quan Cosby, Texas-WR, Derek Pegues, Miss State-FS,

6. Manuel Johnson, Oklahoma-WR
The overlooked OU receiver would be a tremendous value pick right here and an absolute steal. I have seen him pretty far down on a lot of draft charts, so this is not a pie in the sky dream. Team him up with Andre, Owen, Slaton, and Jennings/Green and we suddenly have a very scary looking offense. Can you imagine a play in which we have Andre and Manuel on the sidelines, OD in the middle of the field, Slaton coming out of the backfield, and Walter/Davis/Jones sneaking into the middle of the field. Yeah, scary. Oh, and Johnson and Johnson might be interested in some National TV ad spots?!

Other possible selections: Michael Bennett-Texas A&M-DE, Captain Munnerlyn, South Carolina-CB,

7. Marlon Lucky-Nebraska-RB
I have no idea who will be here at this point, so I took a “Lucky” Guess! Ok, all joking aside, he could be a decent pick in the 7th round. He can run and catch the ball out of the backfield. He is also a standup guy. What more do you want out of a 7th rounder?

Other possible selections: Brice McCain, Utah-CB(special teams guys) A.Q. Shipley, Penn State-C(possible depth)

With the final snap of the final game of the season, we now know that our beloved Texans will be picking in the 15th slot in the draft. In my last two mocks, I had a scenario where we traded down. In an ideal world, I still think that this is the way to go, but as the old saying goes, it takes two to dance. Therefore, this mock will be one in which we stay put.

Also, please remember that the deadline for underclassman to declare has not yet come. Therefore, so people that are expected to declare will not and those that are not expected also will. In this mock I picked a player and then provided 2-3 alternate choices. So comment on my pick as well as alternates.

So here it is, without any further ado my January Mock Draft. I will not make another one until February.

I have been on this guy’s bandwagon for a while, but he is exactly what we need. One of the problems we had this season was stuffing the run. Those runners that went to the corners we were somewhat able to handle, but the ones that killed us, were those guys that ran forward. Some people might say that this pick means that Okoye is failure, but I disagree. Okoye has been playing out of position and has been asked to do things he is not suited. Raji can take up defenders and push the pile forward. I am convinced that with Mario on his side, Okoye will develop into a solid DT if he is placed in the right place. Johnson needs to backup Okoye and let this behemoth start.

Other possible selections: Taylor Mays, USC-FS, Alex Mack Cal-C, George Selvie USF-DE

2. Max Unger, Oregon-C
I have begun seeing several other mock drafts in which Alex Mack has been dropping into the middle of the second round. Personally, I can’t see how that could happen. He is easily the best C prospect in years and versatile to play a powerback system, west coast, ZBS, etc. I cannot see him falling into the mid second. If he did, he is the obvious choice, but again, since I don’t think he will fall that far, I am not considering him. I still think that Center is a problem position. How many times have we seen Steve Slaton approached 2 yards deep in backfield by defenders and then manage to squirm ahead for a 2 yard gain? The problem is that Myers is unable to hold the point of attack. By putting Unger in, we will consistently have a Olineman that pushes the line forward. This will be especially critical in the red zone.

Other possible selections: Tim Tebow,Florida(use him as the powerback compliment to Slaton, use him in the WildBull, use him as a secondary TE, ie get creative with him), Patrick Chung, Oregon-SS, Greg Hardy, Ole Miss -DE

Slaton is a great player but he is not the pound it up the middle for a single yard kind of back. Part of that problem is center and this is addressed by Unger. Another part of it is we need a big strong back that can push the chains. Enter Rashad Jennings. Jennings transferred from Pitt to Liberty because of family issues and has single-handedly carried Liberty. He is 6’1 232 and has 4.5 speed. We suddenly have our own version of Thunder and Lightening. Team Jennings with Unger and those 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 just got very interesting for Texans fans.

4. Sean Smith,Utah- S
A versatile DB that can play either safety or CB position. He is the kind og guy that can inject passion and intensity into the DBs. He has been a terror to opponent D’s. Watch for him in the Sugar Bowl.

Other possible selections: Antoine Caldwell, Alabama-C, Brandon Swain, West Texas A&M-DE,

5. Ray Feinga, BYU-OG
We continue with the trenches and consider RG. Feinga has good feet and is quick for a big guard (6’5 329). I have not been impressed with Briesel and think he is more of a solid depth player than a starter. Feinga could walk in and start at RG for us. Putting him next to Winston will be terrific. Feinga is the kind of guy that is not pushed around. He along with Caldwell will be placed together and will push the line of scrimmage forward, not backward. Now, all those plays in which the pocket has collapsed around our QB or Slaton getting tackled in the backfield will be a thing of the past with these two new additions to the line.

The overlooked OU receiver would be a tremendous value pick right here and an absolute steal. I have seen him pretty far down on a lot of draft charts, so this is not a pie in the sky dream. Team him up with Andre, Owen, Slaton, and Jennings/Green and we suddenly have a very scary looking offense. Can you imagine a play in which we have Andre and Manuel on the sidelines, OD in the middle of the field, Slaton coming out of the backfield, and Walter/Davis/Jones sneaking into the middle of the field. Yeah, scary. Oh, and Johnson and Johnson might be interested in some National TV ad spots?!

Other possible selections: Michael Bennett-Texas A&M-DE, Captain Munnerlyn, South Carolina-CB,

I have no idea who will be here at this point, so I took a “Lucky” Guess! Ok, all joking aside, he could be a decent pick in the 7th round. He can run and catch the ball out of the backfield. He is also a standup guy. What more do you want out of a 7th rounder?

Other possible selections: Brice McCain, Utah-CB(special teams guys) A.Q. Shipley, Penn State-C(possible depth)

I have a feeling that Rashad Jennings will be gone before we get to him. I like your choice in Shipley. I see the Texans drafting a QB in there somewhere as well as taking a Safety in the 2-3 round

I'm liking the Raji pick more and more, I just think that he could do so much for our defense. He helps out big time in the run game because of the blockers he will command. Not only does he tie up multiple blockers but he makes plays in the backfield against the run and pass. He will help keep linemen off of DeMeco and the rest of our linebackers. Stopping the run more consistently will lead to longer 3rd downs which means better percentage for us to stop them and more opportunity for sacks and turnovers. Getting a push up the middle will do wonders for Mario.

I know we need another rusher opposite Mario but I think we can find a guy that would be productive in time in the 2nd-4th rounds or even in FA. I would also like to see Cochran get Weavers snaps since he has shown some signs of being a competent pass-rusher. I believe that we will be more aggressive with our blitzes under a new D-coordinator so hopefully we will get a small amount of sacks from a large amount of players. I will be surprised if we do not break our team record for sacks next season. (37 in 2005)

Safety is another area we could target with that first pick but Mays is the only guy I would be happy with barring a sizeable trade down. Again, I think we can find a nice prospect in the 2nd/3rd round.

At LBer I like the mix we have but I would like to see us go after a guy like Leroy Hill from Seattle. He would be our 2nd best LBer out of the gate and with Diles and Bentley we would have some really nice depth.

I don't know about going O-line in round two. There was a while where I would not have minded us going after a tackle as early as round 1 but at this point I am content to go into next season with our current line and let them continue to gel. We definitely need a compliment to Slaton, but I question whether we spend an early (third round or earlier) pick on a runner. I mean hopefully we run the ball better and more often next season but we have too many weapons at receiver and TE to employ a two-back system like the Panthers, Titans or Giants. I also like Moats' potential.

I like Raji as well. Saw him sack the Vandy QB yesterday, but I was on my way out. I didn't see enough; anyone catch the whole game?
Just wondering if we have to grab him at 15. Will he last to 20-25 if we trade down? Sure would be great to get an extra pick, especially if we still get the guy we're targeting :smiliedance:

good work as always. your mocks tend to grow stronger towards the bottom than the top, which means you do your homework. If your going to address need with the first two picks take bpa who meets those needs. I just cannot imagine B.J. Raji as top 15 material, heck Vince Wilfork went undrafted until a 3-4 team scooped him up #21. yes he's big, burly space eater but the
Texans seem to have a nice rotation going inside with Travis, Amobi Okoye, Deljuan Robinson & they addressed this need for good measure with a 5th rd selection Texas Frank Okam just this past year, give him some time to develop. lets see who the new DC is & how he is able to transform the players around him in particular the DL.

Nice mock. I really like youre first 3 picks. Unger would of been my second pick but I dont think he will be around that long.

1st B.J. Raji 6-1, 325 5.10 Boston College
2nd Emanuel Cook FS 6-1, 205 South Carolina
3rd Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa
3rd Clay Mathews DE/LB USC
4th Tyrone McKenzie, South Florida olb
5th Pat White, West Virginia qb/wr
6th Ryan Stanchek, West Virginia og
7th Josh Mauga, Nevada ilb

The extra 3rd came froma trade down with Detroit. We swap 15 for 20 and get their 3rd.

good work as always. your mocks tend to grow stronger towards the bottom than the top, which means you do your homework. If your going to address need with the first two picks take bpa who meets those needs. I just cannot imagine B.J. Raji as top 15 material, heck Vince Wilfork went undrafted until a 3-4 team scooped him up #21. yes he's big, burly space eater but the
Texans seem to have a nice rotation going inside with Travis, Amobi Okoye, Deljuan Robinson & they addressed this need for good measure with a 5th rd selection Texas Frank Okam just this past year, give him some time to develop. lets see who the new DC is & how he is able to transform the players around him in particular the DL.

I cant imagine anyone being being available at 15 better than Raji.

I cant imagine anyone being being available at 15 better than Raji.

current rankings from NFL Draft Scout.com does not yet include underclassmen which you can tag on another 5-10 spots before him.....:)

1 Oher, Michael (OT), Mississippi 1 6-5 320 5.22
2 Jenkins, Malcolm (CB), Ohio State 1 6-0 200 4.45
3 Curry, Aaron (OLB), Wake Forest 1 6-2 246 4.62
4 Monroe, Eugene (OT), Virginia 1 6-5 315 5.23
5 Orakpo, Brian (DE), Texas 1 6-4 260 4.73
6 Laurinaitis, James (ILB), Ohio State 1 6-2 240 4.59
7 Maualuga, Rey (ILB), Southern Cal 1 6-2 260 4.74
8 Smith, Jason (OT), Baylor 1 6-5 300 5.14
9 Pettigrew, Brandon (TE), Oklahoma State 1 6-6 260 4.82
10 Cushing, Brian (OLB), Southern Cal 1 6-4 255 4.75
11 Johnson, Michael (DE), Georgia Tech 1 6-7 258 4.67
12 Moore, William (FS), Missouri 1 6-1 226 4.49
13 Jerry, Peria (DT), Mississippi 1-2 6-3 295 4.98
14 Moore, *D.J. (CB), Vanderbilt 1-2 5-10 184 4.45
15 Coffman, Chase (TE), Missouri 1-2 6-6 252 4.83
16 Iglesias, Juaquin (WR), Oklahoma 1-2 6-0 204 4.49
17 Sintim, Clint (OLB), Virginia 1-2 6-3 254 4.70
18 Smith, Alphonso (CB), Wake Forest 1-2 5-09 190 4.45
19 Robinson, Duke (OG), Oklahoma 1-2 6-5 335 5.32
20 Davis, *Vontae (CB), Illinois 1-2 6-0 204 4.42
21 Raji, B.J. (DT), Boston College 1-2 6-1 325 5.15

Nice mock. I really like youre first 3 picks. Unger would of been my second pick but I dont think he will be around that long.

The extra 3rd came froma trade down with Detroit. We swap 15 for 20 and get their 3rd.

Greene will be gone before the 3rd as I see him having a better Combine then the rest of the backs and yes I know that sounds crazy

current rankings from NFL Draft Scout.com does not yet include underclassmen which you can tag on another 5-10 spots before him.....:)

1 Oher, Michael (OT), Mississippi 1 6-5 320 5.22
2 Jenkins, Malcolm (CB), Ohio State 1 6-0 200 4.45
3 Curry, Aaron (OLB), Wake Forest 1 6-2 246 4.62
4 Monroe, Eugene (OT), Virginia 1 6-5 315 5.23
5 Orakpo, Brian (DE), Texas 1 6-4 260 4.73

6 Laurinaitis, James (ILB), Ohio State 1 6-2 240 4.59
7 Maualuga, Rey (ILB), Southern Cal 1 6-2 260 4.74
8 Smith, Jason (OT), Baylor 1 6-5 300 5.14
9 Pettigrew, Brandon (TE), Oklahoma State 1 6-6 260 4.82
10 Cushing, Brian (OLB), Southern Cal 1 6-4 255 4.75
11 Johnson, Michael (DE), Georgia Tech 1 6-7 258 4.67
12 Moore, William (FS), Missouri 1 6-1 226 4.49
13 Jerry, Peria (DT), Mississippi 1-2 6-3 295 4.98
14 Moore, *D.J. (CB), Vanderbilt 1-2 5-10 184 4.45
15 Coffman, Chase (TE), Missouri 1-2 6-6 252 4.83
16 Iglesias, Juaquin (WR), Oklahoma 1-2 6-0 204 4.49
17 Sintim, Clint (OLB), Virginia 1-2 6-3 254 4.70
18 Smith, Alphonso (CB), Wake Forest 1-2 5-09 190 4.45
19 Robinson, Duke (OG), Oklahoma 1-2 6-5 335 5.32
20 Davis, *Vontae (CB), Illinois 1-2 6-0 204 4.42
21 Raji, B.J. (DT), Boston College 1-2 6-1 325 5.15

Let me ask you this. Which of the players rated above Raji on that list which should be available at 15 would you take over Raji for the Texans? Add in any underclassmen you want. You can pretty much eliminate the bolded.

We dont need a CB but after watching the Vandy game and seeing Moore play hurt and still make plays he would be one of my top picks. I would take Raji if he fell to us, but would rather have Orakpo. Curry could still be on the board since most of the teams drafting ahead of us need QB's, O-Line, D-Line or Safeties.

Let me ask you this. Which of the players rated above Raji on that list which should be available at 15 would you take over Raji for the Texans? Add in any underclassmen you want. You can pretty much eliminate the bolded.

lets confine list to early version of Texans Board less top prospects off the board-

Greg Hardy, DE Mississippi 6-4 265
Jason Smith, OT Baylor 6-5 300
Duke Robinson, OG Oklahoma 6-5 335
Taylor Mays, S Southern Cal 6-3 230
Knowshon Moreno, RB Georgia 5-11 208
Brandon Pettigrew, TE Oklahoma State 6-6 260
Everette Brown, DE Florida State 6-4 252
Brian Cushing, OLB Southern Cal 6-4 255
Jermaine Gresham, TE Oklahoma 6-6 262
Percy Harvin, WR Florida 5-11 195
Brandon Spikes, ILB Florida 6-3 245
Terrence Cody, DT Alabama 6-5 368
George Selvie, DE South Florida 6-4 252
Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR Maryland 6-2 206
William Moore, FS Missouri 6-1 226
Hakeem Nicks, WR North Carolina 6-1 210
Peria Jerry, DT Mississippi 6-3 295
B.J. Raji, DT Boston College 6-1 325
D.J. Moore, CB Vanderbilt 5-10 184
Clint Sintim, OLB Virginia 6-3 254
Alphonso Smith, CB Wake Forest 5-09 190

as you can imagine now he is not a top 15 prospect, to me, I could be wrong, its early, who knows for sure? things can change, starting with the new coaching hires, if, & I mean if the Texans go with a 3-4 coordinator B.J. Raji would zoom to top of the Texans board. its not that I don't like him its more like I see him as a natural 3-4 NT. in this scenero I would welcome him aboard :thisbig:

2. Max Unger, Oregon-C

4. Sean Smith,Utah- S

5. Ray Feinga, BYU-OG

You & I are pretty close and I only address thru round 5. My picks

1st- trade down in first for William Moore who should be avail @ Eagles pick and they might be willing to give up a higher additional pick than someone else to get Mays. I select Moore one of your alternates.

2nd- DE Brandon Graham 6'3" 270 4.72 with a motor. Can't find any negatives in minimal info I have.

3rd-Shonn Green power back 5'11" 235 lbs 4.54 this is our Forte. Can you imagine him teamed with Slaton? Check out my controversial 5th round selection.

4th (ours) London Fryer c/b 5'11" 192 lbs.
4th (trade) Worrell Williams 6'1" 245lbs 4.73 can play will or sam Lb
5th Ian Johnson H/back 5'11" 199lbs 4.47 Either he or Slaton will get reps as W/R as well as back. If one of these and Shonn Green in backfield, it causes even more problems for defense.

Thanks Buddy! That means a lot coming from you. While they are important, I find myself far more interested in the third-7th round picks than the first two. I figure that anyone you get with your first two picks should be starters or at least solid depth. Anyone can take a first rounder and make a good pick. Look at the Lions for instance. Was it really that tough to select a Calvin Johnson or an Ernie Simms?

The good teams are the ones that can consistently find gems in the 3rd-7th round. I think finding a gem there is more exciting and thus where I tend to spend my time.

I have a feeling that Rashad Jennings will be gone before we get to him. I like your choice in Shipley. I see the Texans drafting a QB in there somewhere as well as taking a Safety in the 2-3 round

Thanks!

Jennings is a tough one to figure out. I think the big name RB will be Shone greene and he will basically be the Combine climber. I think he will overshadow productive backs like Jennings. Also, the knock on Jennings is that he played at Liberty. Some people are going to wonder about his level of competition. As we have seen with Slaton, whenver someone starts to openly question a player, he tends to fall. The person who grabs him usually gets a steal.

I think Shipley would be a great pick because of his versatility. You could stick him on special teams, he can be your punt returner, he can be effective WR that has great hands. What I like about him is that he rarely fumbles the ball.

I am not that enamored with Jacoby Jones. He has great speed, but he makes questionable decisions. He fumbles the ball a fair amount as well. Shipley might not be as fast as Jones, but he is fast enough to break returns, has great hands, and can play multiple positions. He is the kind of guy you want on your team.

I thought the Tebo comment was interesting...

I don't think I'd do it, but it sure would be interesting to see him in that type of role you described...

I like some of your picks, but I am a little wary about Pat White. I am not sure where he might fit in. I suppose we could use him as a WR, or utilize him as part of the Wild cat offense. I guess I would prefer a Shipley who can play multiple positions as opposed to someone who is pretty locked in at WR.

lets confine list to early version of Texans Board less top prospects off the board-

Greg Hardy, DE Mississippi 6-4 265
Jason Smith, OT Baylor 6-5 300
Duke Robinson, OG Oklahoma 6-5 335
Taylor Mays, S Southern Cal 6-3 230
Knowshon Moreno, RB Georgia 5-11 208
Brandon Pettigrew, TE Oklahoma State 6-6 260
Everette Brown, DE Florida State 6-4 252
Brian Cushing, OLB Southern Cal 6-4 255
Jermaine Gresham, TE Oklahoma 6-6 262
Percy Harvin, WR Florida 5-11 195

Brandon Spikes, ILB Florida 6-3 245
Terrence Cody, DT Alabama 6-5 368 Isnt coming out
George Selvie, DE South Florida 6-4 252
Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR Maryland 6-2 206
Hakeem Nicks, WR North Carolina 6-1 210
Peria Jerry, DT Mississippi 6-3 295
B.J. Raji, DT Boston College 6-1 325
D.J. Moore, CB Vanderbilt 5-10 184
Clint Sintim, OLB Virginia 6-3 254
Alphonso Smith, CB Wake Forest 5-09 190

as you can imagine now he is not a top 15 prospect, to me, I could be wrong, its early, who knows for sure? things can change, starting with the new coaching hires, if, & I mean if the Texans go with a 3-4 coordinator B.J. Raji would zoom to top of the Texans board. its not that I don't like him its more like I see him as a natural 3-4 NT. in this scenero I would welcome him aboard :thisbig:

I doubt the ones bolded are on the texans board. I would be surprised if any of the underlined are. Of the ones left Raji is the player that would help the most IMO.

Im not trying to dissagree with you im just going by MY big board which I put together based on what I think the Texans needs and wants will be. The Texans already have shown that they are not afraid to take a player earlier than hes projected if he is atop of their board. They did it last year with Brown.

I have watched Raji a couple of times this year and he impressed me alot. You just dont see guys his size with that kind of quickness of the line. He also is extremely agile. He did a spin move in the game against Vandy that blew my mind. My bet is after the combine he will be the top DT and a sure fire top 15 player. Of cousre as you stated, I could be wrong its still early.

Back