Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

As the new GM

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That has a lot to do with the fact that they won back to back AFC champions Brian and have been a "winning franchise" for an extended period.

They suck for a couple years and those casual "Football fans" stop showing up .... that's going to have an impact on their "Game Day Experience."
Most of those fans in the seats don't really have a clue about the game .... its just a status symbol to many of them , kinda like their German import car. When it stops being cool to have those season tickets , they'll do something else on Sundays.
I think it's all about that marketing machine. They have consistently been one of the NFL's most valuable franchises for years, well before they were even getting in the playoffs. Forbes had them listed as #6 most valuable in 2009 and 2011, well before 'back to back AFC champions Brian', before they even made the playoffs.

How a team that has never achieved anything significant has been valued greater than teams like the 49ers, Steelers, Giants, Chiefs, etc., can only be explained through understanding the apparent Texans corporate mission statement, which is what Vinny said years ago and was recently confirmed by Jamey Rootes. The Texans owners simply do not define corporate success from results on the field. Their goal is all about that P&L statement.

I've been saying this since 2010.
Yep. My shine wore off in 2008, the last year I had season tickets. That was the year of Ike, and the year the Texans blasted "football is only a diversion" on their big stadium screen. At least they were honest about it. I've been using Vinny's "marketing company with a football division" statement on the forum since 2007 according to my search.

But they have a huge waiting list.

Fans are still scared of the franchise moving like the Oilers did.
The NFL has been genius at crafting that simpleton narrative that a city's "self image" must be directly tied to having pro sports teams. Not winning teams. Just having teams.

Critical infrastructure, school districts, city services, employment numbers, crime rates, etc., all take a back seat to the perception of city image because we have been conditioned by pro sports and their media sycophants to believe it. We even forego those important things to finance billions of dollars in playgrounds for entertainers and their owners to make fortunes. What a scam.

They have that huge waiting list because its the in thing and they have a population of 7 million to prey on.
When it stops being the in thing (they go 2-14 this year and another poor showing next season) that will change.

And don't forget about the Covid impact .... a whole lot of people aren't going to want to pile into that stadium with 50k people ....
Don't forget the economic tsunami that's about to slam this country, too. Even corporations might start rethinking the PSL "investment" scam when the reality of our economy finally hits. I'm certain a lot less fans will be willing to spend the required hundreds of dollars+ for a family to go to a game.

This franchise has always bragged about it's "consecutive game sellout" since the beginning, even when less than 5,000 fans were showing up to 2-14 seasons. I've remained a fan through my skepticism about the Texans because I really enjoy pro football. But, I cannot ignore what is obvious when it slaps us across the face with the nonsense.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I think it's all about that marketing machine. They have consistently been one of the NFL's most valuable franchises for years, well before they were even getting in the playoffs. Forbes had them listed as #6 most valuable in 2009 and 2011, well before 'back to back AFC champions Brian', before they even made the playoffs.

How a team that has never achieved anything significant has been valued greater than teams like the 49ers, Steelers, Giants, Chiefs, etc., can only be explained through understanding the apparent Texans corporate mission statement, which is what Vinny said years ago and was recently confirmed by Jamey Rootes. The Texans owners simply do not define corporate success from results on the field. Their goal is all about that P&L statement.
I really think a lot of that "early success" was due to the city losing its team .... we were starved for Football in the Football Mecca of Texas. Any team , even a bad one was embraced and granted an extended honeymoon .... I think that honeymoon ended with Kubiak's exit.
But since that point they've been a "winning franchise" and that definitely helps the bottom line.
The PR machine is most certainly a factor too ... they are a marketing company with a football department.

And this is a larger market than any of the above other than NY who has two teams , that new stadium didn't hurt their valuation either ....

Combine all those factors and its pretty easy to understand why the franchise is valued as it is.

That honeymoon period being over , they better pull their collective heads out of their asses or that valuation is going to take a significant hit with multiple losing seasons. People are willing to pay for mediocrity .... but not losers.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I'm hiring Dorsey as GM and Bienemy as HC.
I'm shaking Andy Reid tree for support of the young coach. With a 1st time coach, I like vet coaches around him. Especially vets who probably won't get another head coaching job and that adds stability.

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
I was laughing hysterically until you said you would share the profit. Can we talk about the split?
Sure, 49.9% for me, the other 50.1% split between all of y'all equally. I'll even let you disburse it.
Effectively it'll be written as a loss, I'll get millions and a tax refund.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Yep. My shine wore off in 2008, the last year I had season tickets. That was the year of Ike, and the year the Texans blasted "football is only a diversion" on their big stadium screen. At least they were honest about it. I've been using Vinny's "marketing company with a football division" statement on the forum since 2007 according to my search.

The NFL has been genius at crafting that simpleton narrative that a city's "self image" must be directly tied to having pro sports teams. Not winning teams. Just having teams.

Critical infrastructure, school districts, city services, employment numbers, crime rates, etc., all take a back seat to the perception of city image because we have been conditioned by pro sports and their media sycophants to believe it. We even forego those important things to finance billions of dollars in playgrounds for entertainers and their owners to make fortunes. What a scam.

Don't forget the economic tsunami that's about to slam this country, too. Even corporations might start rethinking the PSL "investment" scam when the reality of our economy finally hits. I'm certain a lot less fans will be willing to spend the required hundreds of dollars+ for a family to go to a game.

This franchise has always bragged about it's "consecutive game sellout" since the beginning, even when less than 5,000 fans were showing up to 2-14 seasons. I've remained a fan through my skepticism about the Texans because I really enjoy pro football. But, I cannot ignore what is obvious when it slaps us across the face with the nonsense.
We are sports condition way before pro ball. Go to any kids sport and check that out.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm hiring Dorsey as GM and Bienemy as HC.
I'm shaking Andy Reid tree for support of the young coach. With a 1st time coach, I like vet coaches around him. Especially vets who probably won't get another head coaching job and that adds stability.
Although those guys wouldn't be my 1st choices, you could do alot worse.

The Texans org going cheap when it comes to hiring asst coaches is one of the reasons this franchise has been mediocre at best.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

The Texans org going cheap when it comes to hiring asst coaches is one of the reasons this franchise has been mediocre at best.
There are guys like Childress who can be a benefit to EB. I think EB was the rb coach under him in Minny. Even though Andy Reid has incorporated alot of air raid concepts, he still had alot of wco principles. I've always respected those concepts especially in the run/pass game. Plus, Childress isn't getting another head coaching job.I like Hugh Jackson and Todd Haley as coordinators to but both were fired under Dorsey. Mike Tice at oline coach would work too

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Anyone who thinks there is another Bill O'Brien to sucker and give the Texans anything higher than a 4th for Watt is fooling themselves. JJ has been as undisciplined as a player as anyone on the Texans defense. Nobody has been as bad as Whitney by watching the tape, but JJ is getting handled by right tackles and journeyman. In the run game he's been out of position alot.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club

Is it the organization going cheap or the HC hiring their possibly under qualified buddies? I think it’s more the latter. Richard Smith, Frank Bush, George Godsey, Tim Kelly ect....

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Is it the organization going cheap or the HC hiring their possibly under qualified buddies? I think it’s more the latter. Richard Smith, Frank Bush, George Godsey, Tim Kelly ect....
Make no mistake, the Texans org is cheap and has been since 2007.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
With the exception the year they hired Wade Phillips. Bob McNair tried to buy himself a championship. His good intentions produced results of a multiple year salary cap hell and no championship.
Did he?

They've never been major players in FA.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Did he?

They've never been major players in FA.
Oh yes, Bob McNair allowed Smith (or forced him) to go after and sign... Ed Reed

Now let's see...had it been a 3yr prior Reed, amazing move. But Bob felt like he was a special player (many are in the PRIME of their careers) and would be great for the team. One could argue that this was one of a few things that started us down our current path...

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Oh yes, Bob McNair allowed Smith (or forced him) to go after and sign... Ed Reed

Now let's see...had it been a 3yr prior Reed, amazing move. But Bob felt like he was a special player (many are in the PRIME of their careers) and would be great for the team. One could argue that this was one of a few things that started us down our current path...
They need to be players in FA and Cal needs to let the new GM bring in whatever FA's the new GM deems necessary regardless of cost as long as the GM stays within the salary cap guidelines. This yr would be the yr I would try to bring in a couple of LB's in FA.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Since the Texans made a surprise move in me signing to a contract to become the next GM, my first 90 days would involve the following moves:

1. I would hire a mentor for me and the McNair's b/c neither of us have any real experience in running a successful NFL franchise. I believe both Bill Polian or Ron Wolf would offer wise insight based on real NFL results.

2. I would then hand the reins to whoever became the mentor and institute me Dad's philosophy.....when I'm (Polian or Wolf) talking, you're listening...when you're listening, you're learning...when you're learning, you keep your (me) mouth shut.

3. Fortunately, I would write a message to the mentor and let them know I'm not the right guy for the GM position and would like the mentor to start bringing in candidates to replace me.....provided I could sit in the back of the room, with my mouth shut, just so I could actually watch the interview process.

4. The mentor has decided Eliot Wolf is the next young and up and coming GM in the NFL. Wolf has an excellent eye for talent which could pay big dividends for the Texans who won't start the 2021 draft until RD3. The mentor will now turn his attention to the McNair's with a new GM in place.

5. The mentor and Wolf are successful in convincing former Houston Oiler Alonzo Highsmith to join the FO as Assistant GM and Head of Player Personnel. Highsmith is also regarded as another solid FO manager who has a great eye for talent and getting to continue his working experience with Wolf will be beneficial for the 2021 NFL Draft and going forward.

6. Between the mentor, Wolf and Highsmith....they put together a top notch FO and scouting team and then set out on hiring the right HC who has the ability to be a team player while working in tandem with the new FO incorporating a "One Team, One Fight" mantra.

7. The mentor and GM decide after a solid interview and willingness to become part of the "One Team, One Fight" Jim Harbaugh will be the Texans new HC. Harbaugh makes it easy in filling out his staff as the majority of his Michigan staff is willing to make the move with him. The Texans are extremely happy when OL Coach Ed Warinner agrees to come along as well since he's considered one of the best OL coaches in the nation. The mentor and GM understand the risk of signing Harbaugh but revel in the idea that they also got his extremely talented coaching staff as well.

8. To be continued

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Since the Texans made a surprise move in me signing to a contract to become the next GM, my first 90 days would involve the following moves:

1. I would hire a mentor for me and the McNair's b/c neither of us have any real experience in running a successful NFL franchise. I believe both Bill Polian or Ron Wolf would offer wise insight based on real NFL results.

2. I would then hand the reins to whoever became the mentor and institute me Dad's philosophy.....when I'm (Polian or Wolf) talking, you're listening...when you're listening, you're learning...when you're learning, you keep your (me) mouth shut.

3. Fortunately, I would write a message to the mentor and let them know I'm not the right guy for the GM position and would like the mentor to start bringing in candidates to replace me.....provided I could sit in the back of the room, with my mouth shut, just so I could actually watch the interview process.

4. The mentor has decided Eliot Wolf is the next young and up and coming GM in the NFL. Wolf has an excellent eye for talent which could pay big dividends for the Texans who won't start the 2021 draft until RD3. The mentor will now turn his attention to the McNair's with a new GM in place.

5. The mentor and Wolf are successful in convincing former Houston Oiler Alonzo Highsmith to join the FO as Assistant GM and Head of Player Personnel. Highsmith is also regarded as another solid FO manager who has a great eye for talent and getting to continue his working experience with Wolf will be beneficial for the 2021 NFL Draft and going forward.

6. Between the mentor, Wolf and Highsmith....they put together a top notch FO and scouting team and then set out on hiring the right HC who has the ability to be a team player while working in tandem with the new FO incorporating a "One Team, One Fight" mantra.

7. The mentor and GM decide after a solid interview and willingness to become part of the "One Team, One Fight" Jim Harbaugh will be the Texans new HC. Harbaugh makes it easy in filling out his staff as the majority of his Michigan staff is willing to make the move with him. The Texans are extremely happy when OL Coach Ed Warinner agrees to come along as well since he's considered one of the best OL coaches in the nation. The mentor and GM understand the risk of signing Harbaugh but revel in the idea that they also got his extremely talented coaching staff as well.

8. To be continued
Not sure about the GM, but Alonzo in the front office and former standout QB and his staff as HC (Harbaugh) worst case. You hit 2 of 3 home runs.

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club

8. To be continued
When is part 2. Good read.

OptimisticTexan

8. To be continued
Ok.....ready to continue this thought process:

8. To get the team right financially and set the table for a strong 2022 rebound the new team decides to trade or cut assets during the 2021 off-season (should've been done before the deadline) and possibly move assets via trade or during the draft.....or unfortunately make some tough cuts:

Players to be traded or cut:
DE- Watt
WR- Cooks
LB- Mercilus (OLB)
WR- Cobb
CB- Roby
RB- David Johnson
OC- Martin
LB- McKinney (ILB)
SS- Murray
OG- Kelemete
OG- Fulton
TE- Fells

Dead Money Hit: 43.861M (Includes 2021 Dead Money Rollover: .361K)
Contract Savings: 107.679M

Total Cap Savings: 63.818M

***I don't mind if someone like Corrosion wants to jump in and clean up the numbers***

That's literally 12 starters removed from the 2021 roster unless they're willing to re-structure contracts to keep the team financially competitive for 2021. That's a heck of a loss but they think the team could be restructured for the short-term on the cheap.

9. Cheap veteran FA's could mean players wanting to play on prove-it type of deals that may be 1 year with 2nd year option or a 2 year deal with a bonus package. Some players that come to mind:
RB- Le'Veon Bell, RB- Leonard Fournette, WR- Antonio Brown, WR- Josh Gordon, OLB/DE- Aldon Smith, OLB- Tyus Bowser, ILB- Reggie Ragland, CB- Dre Kirkpatrick, etc. Looking at Sportrac 2021 Free Agent list. There are plenty of names to fill out the roster to carry mostly 2021. Couldn't be any worse than the crowd that has played this season. If 2021 turns into a transition season then I'm good with treating it like the first season of a new franchise and then adding a marque class of players in 2022. Any veteran signed to prove-it type of deals and is having a surprise 2021 season should be available to the highest bidder in 2022 picks before the trade deadline. The Texans would love the picks and the players would like the idea of moving to a playoff contender. Keep moving those assets.

10. It would be an ugly move for the Texans in 2021 but it sure could set the table for a big 2022 and after. Mostly, the cap would again be under full control, should have financial assets to roll over to 2022 while gaining additional picks. Like I mentioned....2022 could be a big turnaround b/c of the draft and potential draft position with the financials to sign a some top FA's.

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Ok.....ready to continue this thought process:

8. To get the team right financially and set the table for a strong 2022 rebound the new team decides to trade or cut assets during the 2021 off-season (should've been done before the deadline) and possibly move assets via trade or during the draft.....or unfortunately make some tough cuts:

DE- Watt
WR- Cooks
LB- Mercilus (OLB)
WR- Cobb
CB- Roby
RB- David Johnson
OC- Martin
LB- McKinney (ILB)
SS- Murray
OG- Kelemete
OG- Fulton
TE- Fells

Dead Money Hit: 43.861M (Includes 2021 Dead Money Rollover: .361K)
Contract Savings: 107.679M

Total Cap Savings: 63.818M

***I don't mind if someone like Corrosion wants to jump in and clean up the numbers***
On the actual cap numbers - They would change depending upon if you traded them or cut them pre or post June 1 and those post-June 1 cuts would have an impact on the 22 cap.

I've been thinking about several of these players with big cap hits in 21 and how to dump them , the only thing I come up with is trading them and paying part of their salaries. Not ideal but it reduces part of the dead money which could then be used or rolled over into 22.

Of your list , I'd probably cut / trade all except Fulton , Roby and maybe Fells.

Fulton's on a bargain deal for 21 , He's the 27th highest paid guard in the NFL and has really been their best interior OL the last two years. Playing next to Martin .... no one looks good.

Roby's been decent in a terrible secondary with little to no pass rush .... I can see moving on from him and the PED suspension may void his guaranteed money. Not sure you find a better player for less money and you already need at least 2 corners as it is. Maybe some contending team is in dire need of a corner closer to the deadline and you can extract some value.

Fells .... he runs hot and cold but so do TE targets. He's the 23rd highest paid TE in the league. Not a bad contract.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
DE- Watt
WR- Cooks
LB- Mercilus (OLB)
WR- Cobb
CB- Roby
RB- David Johnson
OC- Martin
LB- McKinney (ILB)
SS- Murray
OG- Kelemete
OG- Fulton
TE- Fells
And you're supposed to be the optimistic one? Not good signs for the Texans... haha.

I'm of the believer we're closer than we think. If we can hit on the right HC, we can easily be a playoff team next season. With that being said...

DE- Watt

- Our only viable pass-rusher that can play all 3 downs. I'm not letting him go. Coming up on his last season, I'm going to try to restructure & extend him so that his 2021 cap hit is less.

WR- Cooks

- Are we willing to lose BOTH Fuller and Cooks? Cooks is going to make 12 mil, and I think keeping Fuller may cost more (or at least the same). Regardless, this is a cut that may have to be made, we need the space. Watson is going to have to try to make it work with Coutee, Cobb, Hansen & Coulter. I'm also holding onto hope that the suspension (and COVID) will inspire Fuller to sign a team-friendly, 1 year prove it deal.

LB- Mercilus (OLB)

- Whit will unfortunately be on the team in 2021. He's uncuttable, and why would anyone trade for his salary?

WR- Cobb

- See Mercilus (ugh, BOB really screwed us with these contracts)

CB- Roby

- With it sounding like Conley may never be the same player anymore, we may be forced to keep Roby out of need. I don't think we can get anyone better at 10 mil.

RB- David Johnson

- Even David Johnson would cut himself... he's gone!

OC- Martin

- Even Nick Martin would cut himself... he's gone!

LB- McKinney (ILB)

- 8 mil actually isn't too bad for McKinney, but Adams has played well and we need the cap space. Cut!

SS- Murray

- See Mercilus (double ugh, looking at BOB)

OG- Kelemete & OG- Fulton

- These guys don't exactly break the bank, so I'm keeping them both, especially since Nick is gone.

TE- Fells

- He doesn't break the bank, but I'd cut him too. Pharaoh Brown has impressed me, I like Akins, and we eventually have to give Warring a shot.

Other guys I would cut:
  • Duke Johnson - not worth $5 mil. Yes, this means we now have a big hole at RB, but I think that can be addressed in the draft. I think there are even some decent names in free agency if we want a vet.
  • Brandon Dunn - he's a JAG and his production can easily be replaced for cheaper

OptimisticTexan

And you're supposed to be the optimistic one? Not good signs for the Texans... haha.

I'm of the believer we're closer than we think. If we can hit on the right HC, we can easily be a playoff team next season. With that being said...

DE- Watt

- Our only viable pass-rusher that can play all 3 downs. I'm not letting him go. Coming up on his last season, I'm going to try to restructure & extend him so that his 2021 cap hit is less.

WR- Cooks

- Are we willing to lose BOTH Fuller and Cooks? Cooks is going to make 12 mil, and I think keeping Fuller may cost more (or at least the same). Regardless, this is a cut that may have to be made, we need the space. Watson is going to have to try to make it work with Coutee, Cobb, Hansen & Coulter. I'm also holding onto hope that the suspension (and COVID) will inspire Fuller to sign a team-friendly, 1 year prove it deal.

LB- Mercilus (OLB)

- Whit will unfortunately be on the team in 2021. He's uncuttable, and why would anyone trade for his salary?

WR- Cobb

- See Mercilus (ugh, BOB really screwed us with these contracts)

CB- Roby

- With it sounding like Conley may never be the same player anymore, we may be forced to keep Roby out of need. I don't think we can get anyone better at 10 mil.

RB- David Johnson

- Even David Johnson would cut himself... he's gone!

OC- Martin

- Even Nick Martin would cut himself... he's gone!

LB- McKinney (ILB)

- 8 mil actually isn't too bad for McKinney, but Adams has played well and we need the cap space. Cut!

SS- Murray

- See Mercilus (double ugh, looking at BOB)

OG- Kelemete & OG- Fulton

- These guys don't exactly break the bank, so I'm keeping them both, especially since Nick is gone.

TE- Fells

- He doesn't break the bank, but I'd cut him too. Pharaoh Brown has impressed me, I like Akins, and we eventually have to give Warring a shot.

Other guys I would cut:
  • Duke Johnson - not worth $5 mil. Yes, this means we now have a big hole at RB, but I think that can be addressed in the draft. I think there are even some decent names in free agency if we want a vet.
  • Brandon Dunn - he's a JAG and his production can easily be replaced for cheaper
I believe we're on board with the identified players.....where we differ, how to keep' each or how to ditch them, and the end result. 2021 should be a clear the boards and really prepare the Texans for the 2022 season. Now I don't mean throw a season since I do have a desire to see them remain competitive but not at the expense of carrying bad players or contracts into 2021. I would easily take both Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon to replace Fuller and Cobb. Not only woul;d this be cheaper but it could possibly double the production. In the end, it could also return the Texans 2022 draft picks if they've upped their game before the trade deadline......and that only happens if the team looks like they'll be out of the playoffs. I think the same could be said for Bell and Fournette if signed for 2021. Bell, Fournette, Duke, and a rookie should supply a big upgrade in the running game. By trade deadline, the rookie may be ready to be the bell-cow.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I believe we're on board with the identified players.....where we differ, how to keep' each or how to ditch them, and the end result. 2021 should be a clear the boards and really prepare the Texans for the 2022 season. Now I don't mean throw a season since I do have a desire to see them remain competitive but not at the expense of carrying bad players or contracts into 2021. I would easily take both Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon to replace Fuller and Cobb. Not only woul;d this be cheaper but it could possibly double the production. In the end, it could also return the Texans 2022 draft picks if they've upped their game before the trade deadline......and that only happens if the team looks like they'll be out of the playoffs. I think the same could be said for Bell and Fournette if signed for 2021. Bell, Fournette, Duke, and a rookie should supply a big upgrade in the running game. By trade deadline, the rookie may be ready to be the bell-cow.
How do you see the GM getting rid of Cobb? His dead cap is at 12 mil. Why keep Duke around? 5 mil for a 3rd down back ain't worth it to me.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
How do you see the GM getting rid of Cobb? His dead cap is at 12 mil. Why keep Duke around? 5 mil for a 3rd down back ain't worth it to me.

On Cobb & Mercilus , their cap hits are just too large to cut outright I think you offer them for trade and pay part of their salary. But if that isn't an option , why not clear the books for 22 instead of carrying them into that years cap , even if it is a lot of money.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
On Cobb & Mercilus , their cap hits are just too large to cut outright I think you offer them for trade and pay part of their salary. But if that isn't an option , why not clear the books for 22 instead of carrying them into that years cap , even if it is a lot of money.
Cobb's dead money in 2022 is 2 mil, Whit's is 3 mil. Can't we just cut them in 2022?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I don't understand all of the finer cap details. So what's our best option with these guys? Trade and partially pay their 21 salary?
I guess its a matter of priority , winning next year Vs cleaning up the mess OB left you and setting yourself up for long term success as well as when you would like to be a major player in free agency.

If it were my decision , I start with the idea that neither of these guys is helping me any more than a replacement level player making near minimum money.
I'd do all I could to trade both of them before June 1 even if I had to pay a a good chunk of their salaries as clearing the deck for 2022 is my priority.
If I can't trade them prior to June 1 , I leave my options open at least until the deadline where i can trade them and get some compensation or cut them if I cant .... but now they are on my 22 cap.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
This would be a change in Texans paradigm all together. It’s been a source of our angst from the beginning.
That's the perception anyway ...

With the salary cap , its really difficult to be a major player in FA every year , you gotta pick your spots. You are paying Top Dollar for talent .... and you gotta have cap space to make that happen.
Look at their contracts over the past few years , when you have a 4-5 guys making big money , there's not much left to spread around making it real hard to play in FA ....

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Yes. Because that is what they’ve said. Their focus is the draft & keeping our players. Overpaying our drafted talent is why the cap is never in our favor.

As I was typing the last post , I was going to add that they tend to overpay to keep their drafted players .... but I was in a hurry , had to take my daughter to work.

Mercilus , McKinney , Martin are all prime examples of that , among others.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes. Because that is what they’ve said. Their focus is the draft & keeping our players. Overpaying our drafted talent is why the cap is never in our favor.
Exactly, and the talent isn't as good as talent you can find in FA. For example : you need a pass rusher., would you trade/cut N. Martin/DJ/not pay Mercilus/Cuuningham to have the $$$$ to sign Von Miller in FA this offseason?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Exactly, and the talent isn't as good as talent you can find in FA. For example : you need a pass rusher., would you trade/cut N. Martin/DJ/not pay Mercilus/Cuuningham to have the $$$$ to sign Von Miller in FA this offseason?
I’d cut those guys, but I wouldn’t be in the market for Von Miller. Top tier FAs just aren’t my thing. They equally contribute to cap management problems.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’d cut those guys, but I wouldn’t be in the market for Von Miller. Top tier FAs just aren’t my thing. They equally contribute to cap management problems.
They equate to adding good/great football players for 3-5 yrs.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the 3 most successful yrs in franchise history occurred after BoB McNair spent $$$$ on top tier FA's? (JoJo/Manning)

The probem is they've been overpaying for mid/low tier FA's like Cobb/Murray.

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Find a WR that can be a go to guy for Watson. Not having Hopkins has hurt him big time.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I guess its a matter of priority , winning next year Vs cleaning up the mess OB left you and setting yourself up for long term success as well as when you would like to be a major player in free agency.

If it were my decision , I start with the idea that neither of these guys is helping me any more than a replacement level player making near minimum money.
I'd do all I could to trade both of them before June 1 even if I had to pay a a good chunk of their salaries as clearing the deck for 2022 is my priority.
If I can't trade them prior to June 1 , I leave my options open at least until the deadline where i can trade them and get some compensation or cut them if I cant .... but now they are on my 22 cap.
Oh it should be well known with all the people Cal has working on GM and HC positions...this is not just a 1 year and we are ok. I think gutting a major part of the team over 2yrs is about what is coming. Get players who the new staff want, trade or cut others. Until in 2022-2023 season the team is about what everyone's wanted. Question is what is it the owner wants? Only he and a few others know the truth.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What's the point of clearing all that cap to bring a good/great player in for 3 or 5 years? 3 years from now, 5 years from now, maybe. If they straighten their crap out.
They just need to bring in as many good great players as possible both in the draft and fa. So far for some reason they seem to settle for the Murray's of the world and have to overpay at that to get him.
Fact is what they have been doing for the last 18 years hasn't worked and they need to change the way they acquire players.

OptimisticTexan

They just need to bring in as many good great players as possible both in the draft and fa. So far for some reason they seem to settle for the Murray's of the world and have to overpay at that to get him.
Fact is what they have been doing for the last 18 years hasn't worked and they need to change the way they acquire players.
2021 cannot be the year to spend. Need to play the trade and cut game first to get he cap back on track to being an asset in 2022. I wouldn't mind 2021 being a competitive losing season that lands the Texans inside the top 10 picks in the 2022 NFL Draft. A solid draft position, additional picks, and cap money to play with....could expedite a quick turnaround.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
They equate to adding good/great football players for 3-5 yrs.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the 3 most successful yrs in franchise history occurred after BoB McNair spent $$$$ on top tier FA's? (JoJo/Manning)

The probem is they've been overpaying for mid/low tier FA's like Cobb/Murray.
Manning wasn't a top-tier FA. JoJo was 2nd tier to Nnamdi. I think hiring Wade Phillips and drafting JJ Watt contributed more to that success.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
2021 cannot be the year to spend. Need to play the trade and cut game first to get he cap back on track to being an asset in 2022. I wouldn't mind 2021 being a competitive losing season that lands the Texans inside the top 10 picks in the 2022 NFL Draft. A solid draft position, additional picks, and cap money to play with....could expedite a quick turnaround.
Agreed, 2021 should be about clearing the bad contracts. This should've started at the last trade deadline. It didn't so obviously Cal disagrees with us on the state of HIS franchise.