Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

ArmyBengal's Outsider Mock

ArmyBengal

Retired Army Medical NCO
One week until Christmas in April. I'm one of those guys who just loves the draft and tracking players.
I don't advertise as a mock draft pro by any stretch, but I have fun with them so who cares.

This is a straight up draft without trades, although I expect the Texans to make at least a couple.
I took a look at projected depth charts and the upcoming free agents for 2023 to consider as well.
That being said, I don't know specifics about all of the Texans, but here's what I came up with.

1a. Evan Neal, OT, Alabama- Plug him in at RT with Howard moving to Guard and that's a nice OT pairing. I wanted to argue taking Hamilton or Gardner here, which I think would be great picks, but protecting Mills seemed the best way to go.

1b. Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia- Starting DT from day one without much thought at all. I considered taking a high end WR for Mills to have, but I'm more of an inside out kind of guy.

2. Arnold Ebiketie, DE, Penn St.- Not many people talking about this kid, but here's an edge rusher that you can't help but notice when watching Penn State play ball. He transferred from Temple and had a great year. I really like this kid's game.

3a. Marcus Jones, CB, Houston- You guys are probably more familiar with him than I and while he's a shorter CB, he would fill the slot position well and is an elite return guy that has the ability to flip field position with ease.

3b. Troy Anderson, LB, Montana St.- Another guy who hasn't gotten much press to this point, but seemingly does everything very well and will be right there competing for a starting spot from jump. Fun to watch this dude play ball as well.

4a. Alec Pierce, WR, Cincinnati- Taller guy with some speed and just will not quit on you. I watched this kid play for a while here at UC and he's just one of those guys you want in the locker room as well. Nice prize in waiting for a WR.

4b. Coby Bryant, CB, Cincinnati- Doubling up from my UC connection here in town and giving the Texans another CB to help that group. As much as I love Sauce Gardner, many forget that while playing with Sauce, Bryant won the Jim Thorpe Award.

6a. Tyquan Thornton, WR, Baylor- Going back to Texas and doubling up at the WR spot with a speed guy who I think would be great value at this point. There are 5 WR's currently on the roster who are UFA's after this season.

6b. ZaQuandre White, RB, South Carolina- Certainly could have addressed the RB position sooner, but I actually like the Marlon Mack pick up for the Texans and if they feel they need more, cut downs are coming.

6c. Cade Mays, OG, Tennessee- A late round OL developmental prospect, but one I think can actually develop into at least solid depth and carve out a role on that o-line group. He plays tough and has that attitude you want in the trenches.

7. Smoke Monday, S, Auburn- Safety is certainly another position that could be addressed sooner, but if they wait, I really like what Smoke brings to the field and don't think since he's the last pick, that he's destined for the practice squad.

Hoping good picking for the Texans next week !!! Take care everyone !!!

6b. ZaQuandre White, RB, South Carolina- Certainly could have addressed the RB position sooner, but I actually like the Marlon Mack pick up for the Texans and if they feel they need more, cut downs are coming.
Good point.

One week until Christmas in April. I'm one of those guys who just loves the draft and tracking players.
I don't advertise as a mock draft pro by any stretch, but I have fun with them so who cares.

This is a straight up draft without trades, although I expect the Texans to make at least a couple.
I took a look at projected depth charts and the upcoming free agents for 2023 to consider as well.
That being said, I don't know specifics about all of the Texans, but here's what I came up with.

1a. Evan Neal, OT, Alabama- Plug him in at RT with Howard moving to Guard and that's a nice OT pairing. I wanted to argue taking Hamilton or Gardner here, which I think would be great picks, but protecting Mills seemed the best way to go.

1b. Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia- Starting DT from day one without much thought at all. I considered taking a high end WR for Mills to have, but I'm more of an inside out kind of guy.

2. Arnold Ebiketie, DE, Penn St.- Not many people talking about this kid, but here's an edge rusher that you can't help but notice when watching Penn State play ball. He transferred from Temple and had a great year. I really like this kid's game.

3a. Marcus Jones, CB, Houston- You guys are probably more familiar with him than I and while he's a shorter CB, he would fill the slot position well and is an elite return guy that has the ability to flip field position with ease.

3b. Troy Anderson, LB, Montana St.- Another guy who hasn't gotten much press to this point, but seemingly does everything very well and will be right there competing for a starting spot from jump. Fun to watch this dude play ball as well.

4a. Alec Pierce, WR, Cincinnati- Taller guy with some speed and just will not quit on you. I watched this kid play for a while here at UC and he's just one of those guys you want in the locker room as well. Nice prize in waiting for a WR.

4b. Coby Bryant, CB, Cincinnati- Doubling up from my UC connection here in town and giving the Texans another CB to help that group. As much as I love Sauce Gardner, many forget that while playing with Sauce, Bryant won the Jim Thorpe Award.

6a. Tyquan Thornton, WR, Baylor- Going back to Texas and doubling up at the WR spot with a speed guy who I think would be great value at this point. There are 5 WR's currently on the roster who are UFA's after this season.

6c. Cade Mays, OG, Tennessee- A late round OL developmental prospect, but one I think can actually develop into at least solid depth and carve out a role on that o-line group. He plays tough and has that attitude you want in the trenches.

7. Smoke Monday, S, Auburn- Safety is certainly another position that could be addressed sooner, but if they wait, I really like what Smoke brings to the field and don't think since he's the last pick, that he's destined for the practice squad.

Another nice mock - goes to show the quality in this draft.
I am so glad Texans have a bunch of picks in this draft and trading for more picks will be golden for a team in the middle of a rebuild.

I was reading not long ago about how the overall draft class is really deep. Maybe not in one specific position, but just in general. The talk centered around the effects of COVID giving players another year and coupled that with the underclassmen that also left this year. I think that translates into finding more contributing players later in the draft. This is where those 4th, 5th and even 6th rounds will produce players competing for substantial playing time.

When you couple that with the fact the Texans are picking near the top of each round, this draft should be a gold mine for your boys. God knows how excited my son is for Thursday to get here. He seemingly comes in with something new every day. Good times !!!

I would be so happy with this draft.

If Caserio is able to come close to this the Calhoun's will have a solid foundation laid for yrs to come.

Back