Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Are Texans sitting on their hands again?

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
We're at best buy. We ignore the "new releases" shelf. Not even looking at "fan favorites." We're in the bargain bin happy to purchase "weekend at Bernie's 4."

What a sad state of affairs.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Why is everyone suddenly so keen on trades? Is there a source I haven't seen causing such discussion?

Miller garners a late round pick. Mercy might yield a mid round pick (3 at best.)
Suddenly? I've been suggesting trades and getting blasted for 12 years. Why do you need source (although there are some) if you can offer a possible trade yourself? You say those guys bring those picks but maybe you are wrong? Even so, using your "facts" mid third could bring you Darrell Henderson to replace Miller and match with healthy Foreman or a lineman or a linebacker or even a WR. A 5/6/7 could bring quality depth like CB/safety Donnie Lewis, CB Clifton Duck, OLB Maxx Crosby, DE to ILB Sutton Smith, Memphis RB/Wr Tony Pollard or others. What if I'm correct and Merci gets a two and Miller a 4th? I did get that from another source early January.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
We're at best buy. We ignore the "new releases" shelf. Not even looking at "fan favorites." We're in the bargain bin happy to purchase "weekend at Bernie's 4."

Can you find one source saying Gypson or Roby bad moves? Roby just to be one year lightning in bottle until replaced.

powda

Suddenly? I've been suggesting trades and getting blasted for 12 years. Why do you need source (although there are some) if you can offer a possible trade yourself? You say those guys bring those picks but maybe you are wrong? Even so, using your "facts" mid third could bring you Darrell Henderson to replace Miller and match with healthy Foreman or a lineman or a linebacker or even a WR. A 5/6/7 could bring quality depth like CB/safety Donnie Lewis, CB Clifton Duck, OLB Maxx Crosby, DE to ILB Sutton Smith, Memphis RB/Wr or others. What if I'm correct and Merci gets a two and Miller a 4th? I did get that from another source early January.
Trade talk has taken a sharp incline since the Cleveland trade (not pinpointing you -just posters in general.) Most of it centers around clowney. Why?

As for the value of the trades, I could be wrong and you could be wrong. We still have to draft right to make hay.

powda

Can you find one source saying Gypson or Roby bad moves? Roby just to be one year lightning in bottle until replaced.
Can you find a source that thinks they're better then HB or Jackson?

It's par at best. We're not better because of it.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Trade talk has taken a sharp incline since the Cleveland trade (not pinpointing you -just posters in general.) Most of it centers around clowney. Why?

As for the value of the trades, I could be wrong and you could be wrong. We still have to draft right to make hay.
Clowney is most tantalizing piece on chess board. He's young, proven quality if not elite and is as good if not better than many first rounders. Plus what he could bring in trade could move Houston up food chain.

powda

Clowney is most tantalizing piece on chess board. He's young, proven quality if not elite and is as good if not better than many first rounders. Plus what he could bring in trade could move Houston up food chain.
He'd need to be locked into a legit contract for trade. What do you think we'd get back in a trade? How do we replace him?

badboy

Hall of Fame
He'd need to be locked into a legit contract for trade. What do you think we'd get back in a trade? How do we replace him?
Several options two I just posted in college thread and neither is Raiders. Ferguson my first choice but recent mock I saw had Montez Sweat falling to us, If so, he'd be in mix as his season and combine were insane. Lower round Maxx Crosby with some training in techniques and strength. If Clowney gone, Mercilus and Egiofor should improve. Moving younger guys up at right time is what we should be getting to. This could still be best off season in years.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Care to tell me the last time the Texans org went on a spending spree?

Dont give me OS.

BTW, You think BOB is the one finding the talent? That shows me you dont know what you're talking about. That's Gaine's job.
example of player and QB not being on the same page[/QUOTE]

2016 free agent signings: Brock, Miller, Allen, Bergstrom

2018: Matthieu, Kelemente, Fulton, Colvin, Henderson

And yes we are still paying for Brock despite people saying at the time that "its no big deal, we can cut him after 2 years"

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Interesting article I just found:

https://247sports.com/nfl/houston-texans/ContentGallery/Houston-Texans-free-agents-2019-124368253/#124368253_1

The Houston Texans have too many impending free agents
ByJOHN NEWBY Nov 6, 2018

The Houston Texans are currently in the middle of the bye week after compiling a 6-3 record. Houston is riding a six-game winning streak and appear to have a solid grasp on the AFC South. Of course, this production has come from a multitude of players, both drafted and signed via free agency. DeAndre Hopkins, Whitney Mercilus, and Lamar Miller have all contributed in major ways during this winning streak and should be with the team for a long time.

With only seven games remaining in the regular season, the Texans front office will need to start planning for the future. Houston has 16 projected unrestricted free agents in 2019, headlined by Jadeveon Clowney. The all-star pass rusher is currently playing out the final deal of his four-year, roughly $22 million deal and will be a hot target by other teams. Keeping him in the building should be the top priority for new general manager Brian Gaine.

Of course, with so many unrestricted free agents, which players will be next on the list? Some veterans, such as Kareem Jackson, will be a priority while others, such as Sammie Coates, will be much lower on the list. Let's go through the 10 free agents that should be resigned.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Ideally yes draft picks and select FAs will replace those needing to go. Folks want team to be like Mikey er PATs. Perhaps letting KJack and Mathieu be replaced by Roby and Gypson was just that? Could fail but so could have giving a 3rd for an avg. RT then hoping he could replace the first rounder you picked to replace the older LT who left for more money. Can't be the man until you beat the man. Gaines trying.
Yes definitely. I think letting go of KJ was a good move. It's too bad we couldn't keep Matthieu, he's really valuable, but at $14m it is really too much. Let's hope Crennel identified some guys who can have a good impact at cheaper contracts.

281Texan

Waterboy

This comes down to Bill O’Brien (and possibly Brian Gaine) not having any identity whatsoever other than bringing the “Patriots Way” to Kirby. And yes, that works for the Patriots. Because they are solid in the trenches and have the best QB of all time. It’s so pathetic that our team strives to be so much like another team that routinely hands us our asses every year. We need our own identity. Spending in free agency is not a bad thing

powda

Interesting article I just found:

https://247sports.com/nfl/houston-texans/ContentGallery/Houston-Texans-free-agents-2019-124368253/#124368253_1

The Houston Texans have too many impending free agents
ByJOHN NEWBY Nov 6, 2018

The Houston Texans are currently in the middle of the bye week after compiling a 6-3 record. Houston is riding a six-game winning streak and appear to have a solid grasp on the AFC South. Of course, this production has come from a multitude of players, both drafted and signed via free agency. DeAndre Hopkins, Whitney Mercilus, and Lamar Miller have all contributed in major ways during this winning streak and should be with the team for a long time.

With only seven games remaining in the regular season, the Texans front office will need to start planning for the future. Houston has 16 projected unrestricted free agents in 2019, headlined by Jadeveon Clowney. The all-star pass rusher is currently playing out the final deal of his four-year, roughly $22 million deal and will be a hot target by other teams. Keeping him in the building should be the top priority for new general manager Brian Gaine.

Of course, with so many unrestricted free agents, which players will be next on the list? Some veterans, such as Kareem Jackson, will be a priority while others, such as Sammie Coates, will be much lower on the list. Let's go through the 10 free agents that should be resigned.
Lmao

badboy

Hall of Fame
Can you find a source that thinks they're better then HB or Jackson?

It's par at best. We're not better because of it.
Wouldn't you have wait until end of season to say worse? Decrease in age should help. Being par with what KJ and Badger did and costing less would be very good.

powda

Wouldn't you have wait until end of season to say worse? Decrease in age should help. Being par with what KJ and Badger did and costing less would be very good.
Bottom line is performance. Guess we'll see.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Lol.

Just tell Gaine to go to the "new releases" shelf and the Texans will be contenders.

So easy. That's what belichick does right? Shop at the new releases shelf every year?

Just gotta laugh at some of the simplistic attitudes on here. "They are too cheap" , "they don't check the new releases shelf" , "we just need alignment", "we are being conservative not aggressive"

None of these catch phrases actually digs into the details of the cap situation and the reality that building a contender takes years. Texans have dug themselves a hole with dumbs moves beginning 5 years ago with dismantling the OL, signing Brock, throwing away picks, over valuing free agents etc

Last edited:

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
12 year vet with 3x Pro Bowls. Old but you offer him one more contract and you actually have some quality experience on the OL at OT for the first time since Brown went out the door. Maybe he fills that Salaam role for the next young guy we bring in?
Salaam was in our system a couple of years when D.Brown was drafted.

In this case they'd have to teach Penn AND the new guy this system.

Is there a benefit in that?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
They also received a 7th back in the demaryius trade

And yes most teams always have some guys who leave and are replaced with rookies or FAs. My point is the Texans dont appear to be prepared at all for the upcoming batch of FAs with little in the way of rookies or capspace to replace them unless they really nail the next two drafts and find some bargain bin quality vets. But that's what people are complaining about, going cheap
Texans are actually doing good in cap space over the next 3 years compared to the rest of the division. They have to add Watson's contract but they have the room for that

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Salaam was in our system a couple of years when D.Brown was drafted.

In this case they'd have to teach Penn AND the new guy this system.

Is there a benefit in that?
We have a system?

The old guy is fairly consistently acknowledged to be a “pro” and he’s changed systems before so he’s probably going to be able to do it again. Almost certainly he’s going to pick it up faster than a rookie and ultimately I guess I don’t know. Who else is going to spell the rookie and show him how it’s done? You got some OT’s here who presumably know this system but aren’t good enough to do it. I am normally not for getting a guy because he’s a good teammate but the Texans OL looks like a lot of guys who are sort of the blind leading the blind at times.

I guess that means “Maybe?”

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
We have a system?

The old guy is fairly consistently acknowledged to be a “pro” and he’s changed systems before so he’s probably going to be able to do it again. Almost certainly he’s going to pick it up faster than a rookie and ultimately I guess I don’t know. Who else is going to spell the rookie and show him how it’s done? You got some OT’s here who presumably know this system but aren’t good enough to do it. I am normally not for getting a guy because he’s a good teammate but the Texans OL looks like a lot of guys who are sort of the blind leading the blind at times.

I guess that means “Maybe?”
I used the term very loosely.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I love Clowney but if they aren't going to

Fair enough, but they have been trying. I doubt the offers are good enough
Moving Clowney off the books on the cheap would've allowed them to sign Brown. Instead they are holding out hope for a 1st and a mid rd pick for Clowney. If they get what they want that still isn't likely to help Watson that much next yr.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Moving Clowney off the books on the cheap would've allowed them to sign Brown. Instead they are holding out hope for a 1st and a mid rd pick for Clowney. If they get what they want that still isn't likely to help Watson that much next yr.
Good lord. Dude's already signed and you're still trying to figure out ways, now take anything for Clowney, to become the 3rd team in 5 years for a 7th pick ..with the privilege of paying $17.5+ mil.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If they did this I think they'd be significantly worse next year. Clowney is a dominant edge player. Trent Brown is just above average. The offense would get a little better and the defense a lot worse.

At least until the draft picks start contributing, if they ever do.

Reactions: JB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Good lord. Dude's already signed and you're still trying to figure out ways, now take anything for Clowney, to become the 3rd team in 5 years for a 7th pick ..with the privilege of paying $17.5+ mil.
Not what I was saying at all.

A forward thinking org would've done what I'm speaking of, before FA even started. But they're where we are now and I'm ready to get on with the rebuild and make no mistake that's what this is.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Not what I was saying at all.

A forward thinking org would've done what I'm speaking of, before FA even started. But they're where we are now and I'm ready to get on with the rebuild and make no mistake that's what this is.
Agree. This is year is year two of a three year rebuild. White boy Rick is screwing it up though. It'll be even harder to try to trade Clowney on the 2nd tag. They should just agree to whatever so we can trade him.

Hopkins should have been traded before last season, same as Watt. Doesn't make sense they let Covington go. Didn't get nothing out of it.

I remember our old GM was able to get picks for guys like Schaub & Keenum. Everyone knew we were cutting them.

Not that I think Ricky was particularly good at his job, just contrasting him with Gaine. Should've been able to get a 2020 6th for Covington free up some cap room & get Antonio Smith out of retirement.

It really is that simple.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Agree. This is year is year two of a three year rebuild. White boy Rick is screwing it up though. It'll be even harder to try to trade Clowney on the 2nd tag. They should just agree to whatever so we can trade him.

Hopkins should have been traded before last season, same as Watt. Doesn't make sense they let Covington go. Didn't get nothing out of it.

I remember our old GM was able to get picks for guys like Schaub & Keenum. Everyone knew we were cutting them.

Not that I think Ricky was particularly good at his job, just contrasting him with Gaine. Should've been able to get a 2020 6th for Covington free up some cap room & get Antonio Smith out of retirement.

It really is that simple.
I was a bit disappointed they let CC go.
He'll become a probowler on someone else's team - you watch.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Steelbtexan.....the Texans finished 11-5 and got their arses handed to them in the playoffs.....they're seriously just a few broken down, washed up, bottom of the barrel FA's away from being taken seriously for a SB run.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Then trade Clowney for cheaper draft picks and sign Brown to protect Watson.

Clowney shouldn't be untouchable.
Where do you keep getting this idea that they ever even had a chance to sign Brown? From how fast that deal went down I'd say it was in place long before it was legal and they were just waiting to sign the paper as soon as they could. Also why would you overpay so much for someone that frankly was not worth even half of what he got paid? Again I'll say he had average stats playing on the most Oline friendly team in the whole damn NFL. GOAT QB with lighting release, HoF HC, HoF Oline coach, easy division to feast on and overall a great team around him. Even with all that the guy still just was average to good yet you want to break the bank to sign him like he is the next sure fire HoF OT. Just because we have a need doesn't mean that you sign a name just to sign a name. Last time we did that we ended up with the Blunder of Oz.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Where do you keep getting this idea that they ever even had a chance to sign Brown? From how fast that deal went down I'd say it was in place long before it was legal and they were just waiting to sign the paper as soon as they could. Also why would you overpay so much for someone that frankly was not worth even half of what he got paid? Again I'll say he had average stats playing on the most Oline friendly team in the whole damn NFL. GOAT QB with lighting release, HoF HC, HoF Oline coach, easy division to feast on and overall a great team around him. Even with all that the guy still just was average to good yet you want to break the bank to sign him like he is the next sure fire HoF OT. Just because we have a need doesn't mean that you sign a name just to sign a name. Last time we did that we ended up with the Ed Reid fiasco
FIFY

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Where do you keep getting this idea that they ever even had a chance to sign Brown? From how fast that deal went down I'd say it was in place long before it was legal and they were just waiting to sign the paper as soon as they could. Also why would you overpay so much for someone that frankly was not worth even half of what he got paid? Again I'll say he had average stats playing on the most Oline friendly team in the whole damn NFL. GOAT QB with lighting release, HoF HC, HoF Oline coach, easy division to feast on and overall a great team around him. Even with all that the guy still just was average to good yet you want to break the bank to sign him like he is the next sure fire HoF OT. Just because we have a need doesn't mean that you sign a name just to sign a name. Last time we did that we ended up with the Blunder of Oz.
If your post is correct either

1 Gaine got outsmarted
2. Gaine/BOB didn't want Brown and not doing everything possible to protect Watson is a mistake. IMHO
3. This is exactly what Mayock did and we will see who made the better move, doing everything possible to protect your QB, or having Davenport/Rookie playing LT next yr. We will see

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If your post is correct either

1 Gaine got outsmarted
2. Gaine/BOB didn't want Brown and not doing everything possible to protect Watson is a mistake. IMHO
Or more likely they were abiding by the law and if you disagree you're a criminal at heart

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Or more likely they were abiding by the law and if you disagree you're a criminal at heart
All teams talk to agents and set parameters at the combine.

I'm a criminal at heart? LMAO

Tell me again, which laws were broken and who's going to jail this morning?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
All teams talk to agents and set parameters at the combine.

I'm a criminal at heart? LMAO

Tell me again, which laws were broken and who's going to jail this morning?
You know damn well what I'm talking about and 'setting parameters' is not getting a deal done. The human in you recognizes this even the irate fan does not