Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Anyone Else Long For The Days Of Bud Adams?

whiteboy

Practice Squad
Yeah, he was kind of a jerk ... but Bud did whatever it took to win.

All he cared about was winning.

He did that in the old AFL days repeatedly, and if not for the Renfo bad call, and the Buffalo melt-down might could have added another couple championships.

Just seems to me the McNair family really isn't a great fit to own a NFL team.

Bob more-so than Cal and Momma McNair, but they treat it more like a business combined with Sunday School.

If they sell ... and I think they should ... is there anyone locally who could step up and do a better job?

whiteboy

Practice Squad
Nope, Never

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Adams just got mad at Lanier, for not wanting to help him get a stadium that would be the equivalent to competitive teams in the league.

If we would have built him Reliant, he would have stayed, and we would have went to a SuperBowl.

The McNairs just dont have any business in football ... at all.

Its like they dont even understand the game.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
So you would rather have an owner that demanded a new stadium in the middle of the city going through one of the worst oil busts in history and was in major economic trouble and when he didn't get it cut a deal with Nashville, packed his team, moved to Tenn. and then literally said he doesn't care about Houston or any of the Oiler fans? Boy talk about rose colored glasses.

whiteboy

Practice Squad
So you would rather have an owner that demanded a new stadium in the middle of the city going through one of the worst oil busts in history and was in major economic trouble and when he didn't get it cut a deal with Nashville, packed his team, moved to Tenn. and then literally said he doesn't care about Houston or any of the Oiler fans? Boy talk about rose colored glasses.
No.

Would just rather have the team owned by someone who knew football, and wanted to win.

Adams happens to be the only reference we have in this city.

bigmck

Rookie
I went to the Oiler games from day one. Bud did do all he could to win but there is one thing he did that can't be forgiven, he moved the team. That wipes out everything else.

Maverick

Failure is not an option
Do you think bud would have gotten the stadium if it had been put on the ballot? Even after the renovations they did for him at the dome (removed the fan favorite scoreboard)?

bigmck

Rookie
Do you think bud would have gotten the stadium if it had been put on the ballot? Even after the renovations they did for him at the dome (removed the fan favorite scoreboard)?
Bud was such a jerk, I think it would have been close on the vote.

gwallaia

Staff member
The renovations were a disaster and not just because of the scoreboard. I went to, what I remember as the first game back at the Dome after the renovations, and my seat was directly behind a structural column. I could not see a damn thing. It was not just me, there were hundreds if not thousands of seats with obstructed views of the field. Bud was a greedy bastard.

wildroot

Rookie
It had to be embarrassing for him to have that pre-season game cancelled with both teams on the field due to the sorry shape of the turf!
And this after an entire off season for them to get everything in shape for the next season.

gwallaia

Staff member
It had to be embarrassing for him to have that pre-season game cancelled with both teams on the field due to the sorry shape of the turf!
And this after an entire off season for them to get everything in shape for the next season.
I think Bud planned it that way to gain leverage to get the new stadium. I believe he enjoyed the spectacle.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't miss Bud.

I miss not having a football team in Houston. At least the NFL was fun when you could just be a free agent fan. Being stuck with a team and the 'ride or die attitude' that comes with it sucks when the owners are self-righteous morons.

The football gods have cursed this city with epic chokes and crappy owners. I'm slowly becoming a football heretic, about ready to watch it all crash down under the weight of its own hubris.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I don't miss Bud.

I miss not having a football team in Houston. At least the NFL was fun when you could just be a free agent fan. Being stuck with a team and the 'ride or die attitude' that comes with it sucks when the owners are self-righteous morons.

The football gods have cursed this city with epic chokes and crappy owners. I'm slowly becoming a football heretic, about ready to watch it all crash down under the weight of its own hubris.
Trouble I found with being a free agent fan is sometimes it was hard to feel an actual connection to the team. Its just like when we mention things "down on Kirby" it doesn't take a genius to figure out we are talking about a street but its still different than when you have actually driven down that street, or walked in rodeo season.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Trouble I found with being a free agent fan is sometimes it was hard to feel an actual connection to the team. Its just like when we mention things "down on Kirby" it doesn't take a genius to figure out we are talking about a street but its still different than when you have actually driven down that street, or walked in rodeo season.
You're right, but honestly, as hard as I've tried in two decades, nothing has ever really replaced that diehard feeling I had as a fan of the Houston Oilers. I was in elementary school when Luv Ya Blue hit, and that was truly an amazing time for this city and its football fans.

Maybe it was just the folly and naivety of youth, but I just haven't had the same connection with the Texans. I always thought it just took time, but perhaps it's just one of those things that's either there or not. Maybe I'm too old and jaded and too aware of the corporate seams that I never noticed as a kid.

I'll always be a Houston fan, but I just feel sorta' dead inside about the Texans right now. Hopefully that'll change with time, but I'm disgusted by both the Texans and Watson right now.

Maverick

Failure is not an option
You nailed it. Riding the bus home the bus would sing the "Houston Oilers #1" song...Can't say my kids have done that with the Texans.

You're right, but honestly, as hard as I've tried in two decades, nothing has ever really replaced that diehard feeling I had as a fan of the Houston Oilers. I was in elementary school when Luv Ya Blue hit, and that was truly an amazing time for this city and its football fans.

Maybe it was just the folly and naivety of youth, but I just haven't had the same connection with the Texans. I always thought it just took time, but perhaps it's just one of those things that's either there or not. Maybe I'm too old and jaded and too aware of the corporate seams that I never noticed as a kid.

I'll always be a Houston fan, but I just feel sorta' dead inside about the Texans right now. Hopefully that'll change with time, but I'm disgusted by both the Texans and Watson right now.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
You nailed it. Riding the bus home the bus would sing the "Houston Oilers #1" song...Can't say my kids have done that with the Texans.
I had the 45 record and sang the song all the time as a kid.

BTW, you know you were an Oiler geek if you started singing "Look out football here we come ..." right after the drum roll of the 20th Century Fox movie intro. :)

Texazan

Our HOF 34

That's what I've felt all along. Something is just off with the connection. For whatever reasons the Oilers had a grit, working class feel about them and I would live and die on Sundays with them. Screaming or celebrating at the TV, the whole nine but for whatever reason this team feels like a placeholder for the city and its been run like that from day one.

Oh yea Screw BA.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
If you have to ask this question, you weren't an oilers fan. I f'ing loved them growing up. And bud reached in with cold steely hands and yanked our hearts out.

The Texans just had my loyalty because.

The oilers had my soul.

**** Bud adams!

whodknee

Working Class Hero
Bud would not allow the fans to tailgate because it cut into his concessions . After the merge he didn't do much. He got lucky when Luv Ya Blue came along

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Eh, we’ve all gotten older so it’s hard to generate those same feelings you had about football that you had back in your 20’s and 30’s.

I find myself connected to the Texans more than I ever was to the Oilers though. Can’t really explain why, but it probably has something to do with my age. You see Im a tweener. I wasn’t old enough to appreciate the luv ya blue Oilers when they were title contenders...but old enough to remember when they had Mike Rozier as their main guy ..then Gary Brown....the run & shoot days......35-3 and the Joe Montana fiasco. So The only real memories I have of the Oilers, they weren’t good...they were in effect about what the Texans have been/are...get to the playoffs then get bounced in the division or WC....then they were gone.

powda

Eh, we’ve all gotten older so it’s hard to generate those same feelings you had about football that you had back in your 20’s and 30’s.

I find myself connected to the Texans more than I ever was to the Oilers though. Can’t really explain why, but it probably has something to do with my age. You see Im a tweener. I wasn’t old enough to appreciate the luv ya blue Oilers when they were title contenders...but old enough to remember when they had Mike Rozier as their main guy ..then Gary Brown....the run & shoot days......35-3 and the Joe Montana fiasco. So The only real memories I have of the Oilers, they weren’t good...they were in effect about what the Texans have been/are...get to the playoffs then get bounced in the division or WC....then they were gone.
Curious. How old are you and when did you start watching them?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I’m 41...started watching around those run an shoot days...maybe a little before that b/c the 1st game I went to Glanville was the coach. Somewhere between 88-90.

powda

I’m 41...started watching around those run an shoot days...maybe a little before that b/c the 1st game I went to Glanville was the coach. Somewhere between 88-90.
I turned 44 today. I suspected I'd be just a bit older then you based on allegiance. Those regular season games were fun to watch. Playoff melt downs, not so much.

whiteboy

Practice Squad
If you have to ask this question, you weren't an oilers fan. I f'ing loved them growing up. And bud reached in with cold steely hands and yanked our hearts out.

The Texans just had my loyalty because.

The oilers had my soul.

**** Bud adams!
I hated Bud when he took the Oilers.

I burned all my Oilers gear.

But my point again is ... he wanted to win. Just look at the trades he made to put the Oilers in position.

Texans ownership doesnt show me that.

They want to own a team, and a church ... under the same roof.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I hated Bud when he took the Oilers.

I burned all my Oilers gear.

But my point again is ... he wanted to win. Just look at the trades he made to put the Oilers in position.

Texans ownership doesnt show me that.

They want to own a team, and a church ... under the same roof.
Jerrah wants to win too and it hasn’t resulted in any more success for the cowboys over the last 20 years than the Texans....oh, and the fan base hates him too.

whiteboy

Practice Squad
Jerrah wants to win too and it hasn’t resulted in any more success for the cowboys over the last 20 years than the Texans....oh, and the fan base hates him too.
Jerry let his ego kill his team.

If he had kept Jimmy Johnson and gave him the credit he deserved, they might have won three more.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I loved the Oilers. I love the Texans. I love football.

But I can't get behind reminiscing about the past so much that I'd want to go back and relive it. Sure, I've got some good memories (and some bad ones) but all of that is over. Life's too short to spend it in the past.

Here's to the future.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
One of the inherent problems with the Houston Texans is that they have absolutely no respect for this city's football history.

If anything, they spit on it.

It's why Earl Campbell had to go to Nashville for some love.

Oilers Great Earl Campbell Pays Visit to Tennessee – and Delivers a Message to the Titans

"By all means I support the Titans, even though they are not in Houston any more. … A lot takes place in life and at some point you have to get over it. Even though the franchise moved, they are in Tennessee and they're the Tennessee Titans, it's still the organization I used to play for, and the Adams family."
Years ago I wrote to the Houston Texans and tried to plant a seed to organize something to honor Earl.

Their reply? "Earl Campbell was never a Texan." WTF? Dude was THE Texan, from Tyler to UT to the Oilers. It made me realize that the Houston Texans only cared about the old Oilers players if they could use them in some form of marketing event (i.e. All Access evens for season ticket holders).

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Jerry let his ego kill his team.

If he had kept Jimmy Johnson and gave him the credit he deserved, they might have won three more.
And you think we’re not dealing with egos here in this situation? Fact is both Cal and DW4 could get together, sit down and talk things out like men and business associates. From what we’ve been told, Cal has reached out to DW4 and he hasn’t responded.

Likewise Cal is walking a thin line. He can’t cow tow to DW4 too much and allow him to dictate to him how to run his business.

whiteboy

Practice Squad
And you think we’re not dealing with egos here in this situation? Fact is both Cal and DW4 could get together, sit down and talk things out like men and business associates. From what we’ve been told, Cal has reached out to DW4 and he hasn’t responded.

Likewise Cal is walking a thin line. He can’t cow tow to DW4 too much and allow him to dictate to him how to run his business.
They are both at fault, I agree.

Cal should have never let Esterby in the building, but he cares more about theology than football.

DW surely has reason to be upset, but if he doesn't tell people what those reasons are, he looks like a diva wanting his own way.

I hope eventually we find out the real reason(s) that caused this, and they are addressed by the organization .... meaning Jack gets told to hit the road.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
They are both at fault, I agree.

Cal should have never let Esterby in the building, but he cares more about theology than football.

DW surely has reason to be upset, but if he doesn't tell people what those reasons are, he looks like a diva wanting his own way.

I hope eventually we find out the real reason(s) that caused this, and they are addressed by the organization .... meaning Jack gets told to hit the road.
Easterby is just the tool used in all this and the tool is useless unless someone picks it up and uses it. Cal is the guy picking the tool up and using it....

wildroot

Rookie
I started watching the Oilers the last year that Ronnie Coleman was the featured RB for the team, I guess that was '77. I want to say Earl was drafted the next year.
I wish there had been a way to keep the name and uniforms like the Browns did. Why was it that we couldn't do that?

Funny, in the CFL there are/were two teams named the Roughriders, Ottawa and Saskatchewan.

whiteboy

Practice Squad
I started watching the Oilers the last year that Ronnie Coleman was the featured RB for the team, I guess that was '77. I want to say Earl was drafted the next year.
I wish there had been a way to keep the name and uniforms like the Browns did. Why was it that we couldn't do that?

Funny, in the CFL there are/were two teams named the Roughriders, Ottawa and Saskatchewan.
The only reason the Browns got to keep the name, is the NFL wouldn't let Model move it to Baltimore and remain the Browns.

Part of the deal was the city kept the name.

No way Adams was going to let the city keep the name. He felt the city had screwed him by not helping him the build a new stadium, and based on what has happened since then he may have had a point. But it was too early to take that stance. Now cities build whatever teams want, just to keep them.

Back then the NFL made the owners rich.

Now it makes everyone rich ...

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I turned 44 today. I suspected I'd be just a bit older then you based on allegiance. Those regular season games were fun to watch. Playoff melt downs, not so much.
Happy Birthday man. I'm 51 so yea I remember the old days and never being able to kick that damn door in.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
One of the inherent problems with the Houston Texans is that they have absolutely no respect for this city's football history.

Years ago I wrote to the Houston Texans and tried to plant a seed to organize something to honor Earl.

Their reply? "Earl Campbell was never a Texan." WTF? Dude was THE Texan, from Tyler to UT to the Oilers. It made me realize that the Houston Texans only cared about the old Oilers players if they could use them in some form of marketing event (i.e. All Access evens for season ticket holders).
Yea this is just a bad look but goes to show they dont give two sh*ts about the old Oiler fans. I suppose you can lay this whole issue at the feet of Rootes?

powda

Happy Birthday man. I'm 51 so yea I remember the old days and never being able to kick that damn door in.

Thank you sir. Oilers got me right at a prime age - right in the heart. Bubba McDowell was my favorite. I watched Gary Browns first dozen runs and knew he'd be a stud. Michale Barrow etc. Loved it.

wildroot

Rookie
The only reason the Browns got to keep the name, is the NFL wouldn't let Model move it to Baltimore and remain the Browns.

Part of the deal was the city kept the name.

No way Adams was going to let the city keep the name. He felt the city had screwed him by not helping him the build a new stadium, and based on what has happened since then he may have had a point. But it was too early to take that stance. Now cities build whatever teams want, just to keep them.

Back then the NFL made the owners rich.

Now it makes everyone rich ...
I always respected Adams for putting his money out to help start the AFL, but it did end badly.

gwallaia

Staff member

Bum, Earl and Pastrorini have all been brought on the field before kick-off as honorary captains. But a statue of Earl and Bum outside of NRG would be very appropriate.