Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Demeco Ryans’ Staff

Those that can do. Those that can't teach (coach). Lack of success as a player doesn't equate to lack of success as a coach.

Lacked success in the NFL but very successful in college. He won the Biletnikof award his senior season given to top WR in nation. That’s certainly better than most former players turned coaches.

The only step up from passing game coordinator is OC, right?

Here's his track record:

Slowik’s career arc is interesting. Started as defensive assistant in Washington for papa Shanny then worked for PFF for a couple years before joining 49ers as a defensive assistant. Then finally moving over to offense and doing quite a good job as passing game coordinator given all the injuries they’ve had at QB.

Young offensive mind who is no doubt embracing analytics. Only issue is no play calling experience. Quite the leap of faith giving someone with no play calling experience the keys to the offense. But DeMeco has worked closely with him for several years.

Manuel is an interesting candidate. There is the Robert Saleh connection with the Jets. But he also has two years experience as an NFL DC. He got a raw deal in Atlanta. First season as DC when his key defensive players were healthy they improved from bottom of the league to a top ten unit in points and yards allowed. Then when they were riddled by injuries he was shown the door and the HC Dan Quinn took over DC duties (not unlike Mike Mccarthy going on a firing spree and taking over this offseason in Dallas).

I think Manuel would be a good pick at DC. Give DeMeco an experienced coordinator on that side of the ball with a chip on his shoulder so the new HC can focus on being a HC.

The Falcons improved immensely on defense during the 2017 season under Manuel. The defense improved from 27th to eighth in scoring defense, 25th to ninth in total yards, 17th to ninth in rushing yards and 28th to 12th in passing yards.

He noted that in 2018, the defense was marred by key injuries to linebacker Deion Jones, strong safety Keanu Neal and free safety Ricardo Allen. Also, defensive tackle Grady Jarrett, cornerback Robert Alford and defensive end Takkarist McKinley all missed at least one game.

Greise has been mentioned for OC. Probably not a bad choice, but a rookie HC and a rookie OC might be a problem. Some rumors about Watt joining the staff. I don't know in what capacity. The issues that I see are Ryan runs a 3-4 defense. Do we have the right linemen and linebackers for that defense? Also, if we go WCO (which I would like) do we have the right linemen for that? I suspect that in both cases that we don't have the right personnel in place to be effective right now. Also, the line coaches are going to be critical to making it all work.
49ers were a 4-3 team . Well, 4-2-5 because Hufunga was like the joker

I hope he insulates every young aspiring coach with an older guy not looking for his next job. I hope the bring Lynn along with the younger playcaller. If you're a defensive coach and your offense is good, you're going to lose your coaches. I mean ,I would love to have Greg Roman on the staff again. He was here with Capers and say what you will, he can design offenses that utilizes angles. If the team drafts a qb , we know the run game is going to be special.

It looks to me that the Niners mix things up a lot from one play to the next; they disguise their intention more than the Texans and they play more aggressively (without blitzing much).
Yeah, the disguise it, but they play alot of Cover 2. They press bail into the cover 2 alot and they have that Joker mufunga who will be anywhere. You see Fred Warner running deep middle vs Cowboys? Texans just don't have the horses. People think Stingley is all of a sudden going to turn into a prime Nnamdi. None of the 49ers corners are highly drafted man v man guys.

If you look at SF, they're not ripe with 1st rd picks. Not to mention, people won't like, they do play alot of cover 2. They just have better players to play it.
Offense
QB Lance
OL Williams, McGlinchey
RB, McCaffrey
WR Aiyuk

Defense

Armstead
Kinlaw
Boss

Warner 2nd
Ward 2nd

Based on who they are asking to interview, they are going for the young coaches and not a bunch of old retreads. Actually, I like that they are. Might bite them in the backside because of a lack of experience, but what the neck let them grow together.

Yeah, the disguise it, but they play alot of Cover 2. They press bail into the cover 2 alot and they have that Joker mufunga who will be anywhere. You see Fred Warner running deep middle vs Cowboys? Texans just don't have the horses. People think Stingley is all of a sudden going to turn into a prime Nnamdi. None of the 49ers corners are highly drafted man v man guys.
Ward was a great fa signing and he played a lot of man to man.

Texans should have more young horses next year.

Based on who they are asking to interview, they are going for the young coaches and not a bunch of old retreads. Actually, I like that they are. Might bite them in the backside because of a lack of experience, but what the neck let them grow together.

I'm a fan, but stock the cupboard so when they get poached we never have a drop off.

Just replicate the Niners at this point.

Last edited:
I can see the Texans replicating the Astros by bringing in their top former stars as Camp consultants to lend a helping hand to DeMeco.

I wouldn’t mind having Munchak on board as the OL Coach….and I damn sure wouldn’t mind if he invited Bruce Mathews to camp as an OL tutor. If Mike and Bruce never played in a ZBS….many DC’s would probably say thank you. Elite HoF OL like these two would’ve excelled in any blocking scheme. Learning and coaching a ZBS wouldn’t be hard for Munchak.

How is the mood on the inside?

Is Nick and DeMeco going to work well together?

Everyone in the building seems excited.

I don't see why they wouldn't work well together.

No one expects this to be a quick fix either .... they know the team is short on overall talent.

As for what they might do in the draft, it doesn't seem like anyone feels pressured to take a QB, they'll probably evaluate them thoroughly and if one stands out as someone they feel can be a franchise type, they'll take him, if not there's next year's crop of QB's. They know this isn't an overnight fix.

Good track record as a secondary coach with Denver and Philly (part of SB winning teams with both) got him a DC job with Detroit. But that was a case of “should have waited for a better opportunity”… HC/GM fired midseason and entire staff shown the door after one season.

I really like what he has been able to do with that 49ers secondary talent, especially through injuries. Great value with Tashaun Gipson signing a vet minimum contract and being a full time starter. And developing 5th round pick Hufanga into an all pro. Maybe this stop would be a better opportunity for him to show off his DC chops.

Also interesting he joined Philadelphia coaching staff in DeMeco’s final year as a player and has been coaching alongside him past two seasons in SF. Good working relationship.

Everyone in the building seems excited.

I don't see why they wouldn't work well together.

No one expects this to be a quick fix either .... they know the team is short on overall talent.

As for what they might do in the draft, it doesn't seem like anyone feels pressured to take a QB, they'll probably evaluate them thoroughly and if one stands out as someone they feel can be a franchise type, they'll take him, if not there's next year's crop of QB's. They know this isn't an overnight fix.

Thanks! Good info.

SF may not be exclusively a man team in the secondary but the scheme is definitely more suited to Stingley’s skills than Lovie’s was.

This will be an interesting period, with both DeMeco Ryans and Sean Payton vying for coordinators and position coaches. In this case....I see DeMeco with the more appealing opportunity.

Last edited:
This will be an interesting period, with both DeMeco Ryans and Sean Payton vying for coordinators and position coaches. In this case....I see DeMeco the more appealing opportunity.

I don't have any evidence to back this opinion but he seems like, for the most part, DeMeco and Payton won't really be interested in the same candidates

Saw this with a few names mentioned. Honestly, I would love to see Gary Kubiak as an advisor. But, the other names are interesting and I like the idea. I didn't hear anything other than offensive side of the ball. However, it would be a solid group running likely a ZBS.

In my opinion, we are really short on speed in our front seven, particularly at the linebacker position. FA and draft should hopefully help with that.

Reactions: JB
This last year.
Dorsett, A.J. Howard, Cooks, Tunsil, Green, Tytus Howard.

lol…ok bro….Dorsett, Howard are technically 1st rounders, but its been known for a while they’re JAGs. Your argument could’ve hit home a little better if you had said 2019 tho when they had 5 and were at best just decent.

Tunsil
Howard
Watson
Nuk
Fuller

Reactions: JB
Coordinator Article

Here’s a consolidated article talking about the coordinators search to give an idea on who we might be looking at. It says that Shanahan is going to try to keep his staff intact after Ryans departure, so managing expectations is a must.

Back