Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Anthony Weaver, Houston Texans DC

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
I would have preferred Sean Payton, but....Har, har, har, har....
Can't be any worse than what we had.

RGV82

Random guy

RGV82

Random guy
You didn't put a single thing forth to explain what there is to like about it. The area where he was born has nothing to do with his scheming of a defense. :bigboss:
I am more than aware of that. It was just a comment. I am aware that where he is from has nothing to do with scheming a defense.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Another great move by the GM of Bill O'Brien.

How much longer does he get to wreck this team?

Why wasn't there a good amount of candidates to interview? Anthony Weaver?

Might as well have stayed with Crennell. He didn't do a bad job with the defense last season any way when you look at the personnel they had and the new additions.

You guys let Crennell become "the scapegoat" when the problem is OB. The Texans defense caved, because the entire team caved.

Cal McNair you are completely worthless.

RGV82

Random guy

Might as well have stayed with Crennell. He didn't do a bad job with the defense last season any way when you look at the personnel they had and the new additions.

You guys let Crennell become "the scapegoat" when the problem is OB. The Texans defense caved, because the entire team caved.

Who exactly is "you guys" when you say we let Crennell become the scapegoat? It appears to be a general consensus that BOB is the problem.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Who exactly is "you guys" when you say we let Crennell become the scapegoat? It appears to be a general consensus that BOB is the problem.
Many wanted Crennell fired and blamed him a lot for that loss due to the amount of points they gave up.

You might want to check the threads throughout this season. There are plenty in here that felt that OB was doing a great job as a GM and have argued so.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
There were also constant complaints throughout the season whether we won or lost as to what the heck Crennel was doing with the scheme............ that the CBs were giving large cushions with short yardage plays, pass rush inadequacies, not using players effectively, bend but not break 2nd halfs, safeties not acting as safeties, etc.............and now it's O'Brien making him a scapegoat because he's moving on. OK, I understand perfectly.:toropalm:

Last edited:

RGV82

Random guy
Many wanted Crennell fired and blamed him a lot for that loss due to the amount of points they gave up.

You might want to check the threads throughout this season. There are plenty in here that felt that OB was doing a great job as a GM and have argued so.
Regardless of what people on this forum said during the season, this move was inevitable. There is no way BOB and Crennell would both be back next year. In the history of sports, higher ups always find a scapegoat in order to save their job. No matter what people said on this forum, it was gonna happen.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

Me for one, I did think the defense crapped the bed, offense did to but that's another story, and yeah I'll be happy to see what Weaver can do with the team. Also yes other than signing Martin to that big a deal I do think OB has done a pretty good job as GM. HC not so much but Gm yeah I like the moves and think they made the team better. I would break down why and explain it but every time I do someone just picks out one sentence and ignores the rest so I don't feel its worth my time any more.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I'm not thrilled by this hire...But i'm willing to see Weaver get the opportunity to show what he can do. According to Seth Payne, he's supposedly a really big Rex Ryan fan in terms of philosophy and how he coaches defense. We'll see. It'll be interesting to see what his staff choices are.

It's funny tho b/c the same folks here killing the Texans for this move b/c he has no experience as DC are the same ones in the "FIRE BILL OBRIEN NOW" & the countless other threads like them wanting to bring in a guy like Eric Beniemy for an interview..........a guy who has never been a HC on any level & has all of 1 year as an OC on this level under Reid......& you can argue just how much he's calling the plays there....Those folks were also the same ones :corrosion: at the Titans for hiring Vrabel.

RGV82

Random guy
For everyone not happy with this hire, who would you have realistically rather seen hired as DC? (knowing Crennell was inevitably going to be fired).

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
@riversmccown: On paper: Totally makes sense. Romeo’s unit struggled and he made some major miscues at times last year.

In actuality: O’Brien won’t hire anyone who would stand up to him and the article’s idea that Weaver is a top candidate would be Typical O’Brien https://t.co/GcjURgwUeo

frethack

Rookie
I'm actually okay with this move (though I'd prefer to blow it up and retool at this point). Weaver has done an excellent job as a position coach and knows how to develop players. He is charismatic as well...time to give him a shot I think.

Now if we could just find a competent OC...
...and an OL coach
...and GM
...and HC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Who cares. This choking regime will just wet the bed next season.

Bill O'Brien's results will continue to be division "championships" to keep his job, but never anything greater than that.

Weaver is just the next scapegoat for O'Brien's postseason ineffectiveness.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
@riversmccown: On paper: Totally makes sense. Romeo’s unit struggled and he made some major miscues at times last year.

In actuality: O’Brien won’t hire anyone who would stand up to him and the article’s idea that Weaver is a top candidate would be Typical O’Brien https://t.co/GcjURgwUeo
And again Rivers shown that he has no clue about anything and is just out to paint everything in an anti-OB light. RAC has had pretty much full control of the defense since he got there, in fact one of the very few things that people on this board agree on is that OB doesn't even look at the defense side. Also RAC was another product of the NE system, was 72 years old and had been coaching in the NFL for 39 seasons straight. You're saying a guy like that wasn't willing to stand up to someone? While we're at it I didn't know Rivers knew Weaver well enough to say that he won't stand up to OB, seems like a pretty damming statement to make so I would assume he has something to back it up or knows the guy personally well enough o say that.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
doesnt matter who the DC is at the end of the day. What self respecting QUALIFIED DC would come here to work with OBrien and take over the pathetic excuse for NFL talent that is on the defensive side of this football team?

Weaver was probably one of the only guys who WOULD take the job! HAHA!

this defense will continue to be terrible until GET THIS ... THEY INJECT SOME TALENT ON THAT SIDE OF THE BALL!!! Novel idea huh?

Worst defense in the NFL .. coming right up!

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Regardless of what people on this forum said during the season, this move was inevitable. There is no way BOB and Crennell would both be back next year. In the history of sports, higher ups always find a scapegoat in order to save their job. No matter what people said on this forum, it was gonna happen.
Based on what? Because you said so?

There isn't anything you put forth to suggest that it had to happen or that they had to streamline the process towards hiring Weaver.

You sound like a bad apologist for the Mcnairs and how they do business.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I'm not thrilled by this hire...But i'm willing to see Weaver get the opportunity to show what he can do. According to Seth Payne, he's supposedly a really big Rex Ryan fan in terms of philosophy and how he coaches defense. We'll see. It'll be interesting to see what his staff choices are.

It's funny tho b/c the same folks here killing the Texans for this move b/c he has no experience as DC are the same ones in the "FIRE BILL OBRIEN NOW" & the countless other threads like them wanting to bring in a guy like Eric Beniemy for an interview..........a guy who has never been a HC on any level & has all of 1 year as an OC on this level under Reid......& you can argue just how much he's calling the plays there....Those folks were also the same ones :corrosion: at the Titans for hiring Vrabel.
Who? Name them then.

I agree that the hype that came out of nowhere for Beniemy was inflated, and mainly because he was black. You should have been happy about that since you've argue about the coaching merry go rounds.

Vrabel seemed like a great hire when the Titans took him. I was ticked to see him leave, and figured we'd be sitting back at some point wishing he was our HC instead of being stuck with OB.

RGV82

Random guy
Based on what? Because you said so?

There isn't anything you put forth to suggest that it had to happen or that they had to streamline the process towards hiring Weaver.

You sound like a bad apologist for the Mcnairs and how they do business.
Don’t put words in my mouth. I never said they were streamlining to hire Weaver. I simply said it was inevitable that Crennell would be fired as the scapegoat if BOB stayed.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Who? Name them then.

I agree that the hype that came out of nowhere for Beniemy was inflated, and mainly because he was black. You should have been happy about that since you've argue about the coaching merry go rounds.

Vrabel seemed like a great hire when the Titans took him. I was ticked to see him leave, and figured we'd be sitting back at some point wishing he was our HC instead of being stuck with OB.
edo, fanatic....JB, texansballer just to name a few.

& its not that im against bringing in Bienemyat all. I think the brother deserves at least an interview. its the rationale folks around here use. Things like experience matters when its something you want to see happen or it lines up with your opinion.....when it doesn't, well, all that **** goes out the window.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Ten Things to Know on Texans Defensive Coordinator Anthony Weaver
Patrick D. Starr
2 hours ago

The Houston Texans will move Anthony Weaver as their new defensive coordinator for the 2020 season, which will mark the third different coordinator under Bill O'Brien since 2014. Weaver has been with the Texans since 2016 as the defensive line coach, and now he is set to run the defense this coming season.

Weaver has no previous experience as a defensive coordinator, but he will have Romeo Crennel inside the building to lean on throughout the season.

Here are ten things to know about the Texans' new defensive coordinator.

Ten Things To Know About Anthony Weaver

1. Born in Killeen, Texas, Weaver played his high school football at Saratoga Springs High School in New York. Played both football and basketball and received the National Football Foundation scholar-athlete award.
  2. Weaver is from Irish-Samoan decent. Both of his parents served in the Army. His father Ralph retired as a sergeant major.
  3. Weaver's parents drove to 44 of 47 college games at Notre Dame in a Chrysler Windstar minivan. The only games they missed were due to Weaver's grandmother passing away.
  4. Weaver played his college football at the University of Notre Dame and was the Notre Dame Team MVP in 2001. Was one of four captains in 2001. Started four straight seasons on the defensive line for the Irish.
  5. Was drafted in the second round out of Notre Dame by the Baltimore Ravens in 2002. He played seven seasons in the NFL and played four seasons with the Ravens before finishing up with the Houston Texans for the final three.
  6. He started his coaching career under Urban Meyer at the University of Florida as a defensive graduate assistant. Weaver followed Dan McCarney to North Texas as the linebacker coach for the Mean Green in 2011.
  7. His NFL coaching career, he has coached under Rex Ryan with the New York Jets, Doug Marrone with the Buffalo Bills, and Mike Pettine with the Cleveland Browns. Rex Ryan was Weaver's defensive line coach with the Ravens when he was drafted in 2002.
  8. As the defensive line coach for the Bills in 2013, Weaver's group had 47 of the team's 57 sacks. The Bills were the only team to have three players that season with double-digit sacks, and all of them were on the defensive line. Mario Williams (13.0), Kyle Williams (10.5), and Jerry Hughes (10.0) all worked with Weaver on the defensive line. Marcell Dareus had a career-best 7.5 sacks with the group also.
  9. After Mike Vrabel was promoted to defensive coordinator, Weaver took over coaching Jadeveon Clowney as his position coach in 2016. He helped Clowney notch his first every Pro Bowl selection with personal bests that year in tackles (52), sacks (6.), and tackles for loss (16) and quarterback hits (17).
  10. Weaver has been instrumental in helping develop D.J. Reader, Brandon Dunn, Angelo Blackson.

I think RC is a quality DC but in all honesty he is up there in years and he probably would not have been to far off from retiring. As far as the new hire it is underwhelming because none of us or anybody else knows much about him. We all need to give the guy a fair chance to see what he can do. RC has his issues and those are issues our new DC may be able to shore up. Being that butt chin hired him is a bit worrisome but I will try to be positive about our new coach until I see other wise.

Texansballer74

The Marine
edo, fanatic....JB, texansballer just to name a few.

& its not that im against bringing in Bienemyat all. I think the brother deserves at least an interview. its the rationale folks around here use. Things like experience matters when its something you want to see happen or it lines up with your opinion.....when it doesn't, well, all that **** goes out the window.
What, why is my name being brought up here.

badboy

Hall of Fame
This Weaver situation is like so many others. Posters saying he is great and has done well and others saying "stupid move" and neither side says exactly how they made that decision. Negative seem to blab on about "OBrien, CAL blah blah" but don't say why Weaver bad choice. If HC does it hire\fire\promote it has to be bad.I am not an OBrien fan but can see past my dislike.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
This Weaver situation is like so many others. Posters saying he is great and has done well and others saying "stupid move" and neither side says exactly how they made that decision. Negative seem to blab on about "OBrien, CAL blah blah" but don't say why Weaver bad choice. If HC does it hire\fire\promote it has to be bad.I am not an OBrien fan but can see past my dislike.
How about telling me why he was a good choice?

He had no hype around the league for him. He was a total bust on the Houston Texans as a player so he already has a bad history here there.

The Texans firing their DC as a scapegoat and then promoting some guy from within doesn't make a lick of sense at all. In most cases a team goes out and interviews a lot of guys to fund the right fit where they're looking for someone to make a huge turnaround like Wade Phillips did or like the Chiefs who went out and got a guy with a great reputation who won SB's with the Giants and created historic Defenses before. The Texans don't do ****, but promote some guy on what they're calling a "failed" defense that needed its leader fired so they bring up one of his staff members.

Could it work? Yeah, anyone could possibly work. There is not one reason to get excited about this hire though. Not one.

HouTx11

Rookie
Awesome!!!!

I don't know if Weaver will do a great job, only time will tell on that. However, moving on from RAC is a HUGE step in the right direction. I welcome the move.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Don’t put words in my mouth. I never said they were streamlining to hire Weaver. I simply said it was inevitable that Crennell would be fired as the scapegoat if BOB stayed.
Well then tell me how they didn't streamline it? Who else did they interview? Anyone with better experience like KC did when they got Spags? Even if that hire had not worked out, you'd understand why they went in that direction and wouldn't fault them much if it didn't work out. After the Texans just chopped up their draft picks before this season, then train wreck to end the season, and fire DC unfairly, and then turn to Weaver in a WTF kind of head scratcher.