Contributor's Club
History says Patsies

edit: Damn I hate AOL... didn't know they were still around post dial-up

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Don’t remember that one?

One of the first ISPs, much more reliable than most of the others up through the 90’s.
Memory bells be donging now that you mention it

I wasn't on the net much... mostly building pc's and playing games

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Memory bells be donging now that you mention it

I wasn't on the net much... mostly building pc's and playing games
I worked at Telecheck in their computer room starting in 90 and that was one of the providers for some of their lines so I hooked up to compuserve in the Wild Wild West internet days.

4800 baud baby!

Reactions: JB

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I worked at Telecheck in their computer room starting in 90 and that was one of the providers for some of their lines so I hooked up to compuserve in the Wild Wild West internet days.

4800 baud baby!
I would have killed somebody's mother-in-law for 4800 baud

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
I would have killed somebody's mother-in-law for 4800 baud
Cutting edge dude.

I was so fascinated with the high tech gear telecheck had available back then, t1 lines that transmitted at 1.5 mbps, 1 gig drives that were literally the size of a washing machine.

As I message this on a 200 mbps cable connection with my iPhone that has 256 gigs.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Cutting edge dude.

I was so fascinated with the high tech gear telecheck had available back then, t1 lines that transmitted at 1.5 mbps, 1 gig drives that were literally the size of a washing machine.

As I message this on a 200 mbps cable connection with my iPhone that has 256 gigs.
First PC I built back in '91-'92, max Hard drive available was 256K. Ram was in 2K sticks

I worked at Compaq when it was brand new, stock yet to split the first time

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
First PC I built back in '91-'92, max Hard drive available was 256K. Ram was in 2K sticks

I worked at Compaq when it was brand new, stock yet to split the first time
I did some temp work there on the assembly line in 1989.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
About the time I was there on the line as a temp also.... they caleed me
I was there (Louetta) '87 -to '89? As a temp on the line also. They called me in for an interview for a permanent hire and when I told them they were wasting my brain clipping leads off solder boards they let me go. Didn't bother me until they exploded a couple years later

I was only there a few months...

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
About the time I was there on the line as a temp also.... they caleed me

I was there (Louetta) '87 -to '89? As a temp on the line also. They called me in for an interview for a permanent hire and when I told them they were wasting my brain clipping leads off solder boards they let me go. Didn't bother me until they exploded a couple years later

I was only there a few months...
Would be hilarious if we talked to each other then.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Would be hilarious if we talked to each other then.
Perhaps we did... how would we know? Let's just assume we did for hilarity's sake

After the first few weeks, I spent as much time as possible at the end of the line helping to solder in transformers

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Perhaps we did... how would we know? Let's just assume we did for hilarity's sake

After the first few weeks, I spent as much time as possible at the end of the line helping to solder in transformers
Lol I wasn’t very good at soldering so I got myself put into diagnostic checks.