Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Andre Johnson

Has he taken a step or what? He made two circus catches in double coverage. I saw him drop one tough catch on the sidelines, but I must say he definitely made a statement that he could be a go to guy today. He seems to have corrected his butter fingers and is extremely focused on the ball. Big props to Andre and the rest of the Texans.

Andre is our playmaker and we need to throw him the ball at least 10 times a game and throw it deep to him at least 4 times a game. Either he will catch the bombs like he did today or the DB will get flagged for PI. At worst it will stretch the D and open up the running game. AJ should be the focus of our offense and not DD. DD should be a complementary player, AJ is the stud.

That circus catch towards the end of the game where he came down with the ball and it was challenged by the Chiefs, the more I looked at that replay the more I wonder was he touched down by that Chief when he fell down with the ball. If not, him throwing that ball in celebration could have been a fumble.

Anybody else wondered about this?

He basically went down because he and the DB were making contact and fighting for the ball, so I dont think there was any question about whether he was down.

I can't believe they didn't show that catch with the rest of the highlights.

AJ's got mad skills, but he still drops at least one ridiculously easy pass every game. I can't figure that out, considering the incredible catches he makes.

Glad to see Gaffney and Armstrong stepping up too. That can't do anything but help AJ and DD.

ledzeppelin269 said:
I can't believe they didn't show that catch with the rest of the highlights.
There was a similar play in the KC game last season, where Warfield made an interception on a deep pass to AJ. Andre just stood there and watched. Now, he attacks the ball and beats the CB. And if he continues to attack the ball with a "This is MY BALL" attitude, he'll beat most corners. That was a Pro Bowl type play.

I think I vaguely remember that one.

All he needs to do is keep getting in their face and going after the ball, with his size and athleticism he should wind with the ball most the time and at worst keep it from being intercepted.

WHY OH WHY can't I see it again on the game highlights.

im in complete agreement with texans fight on this...air it out already...

carr already throws a great deep ball and 1 of 4 things will happen:

1. incomplete----and stretch the defense opening the running game
2. pass interference
3. interception ( make shift punt?)
3. completion

why is that so complicated? andre is easily the most gifted athlete on our roster.

and dont tell me you only take what the defense gives you...there are easily 5 or so oppurtunities to air it out per game. remind that defense we do have multiple deep threats and MAKE them respect it.

powda said:
im in complete agreement with texans fight on this...air it out already...

carr already throws a great deep ball and 1 of 4 things will happen:

1. incomplete----and stretch the defense opening the running game
2. pass interference
3. interception ( make shift punt?)
3. completion

why is that so complicated? andre is easily the most gifted athlete on our roster.

and dont tell me you only take what the defense gives you...there are easily 5 or so oppurtunities to air it out per game. remind that defense we do have multiple deep threats and MAKE them respect it.

How in the world did you forget number 4..SACK. Which is the most likely thing to happen on a long pass play. If you didnt notice once KC figured out we were running our 3rd string RB they pinned there ears back and gave Carr all kinds of hell. The Texans do not have the O-Line to throw 10 bombs a game and not run the ball. The Texans are doing fine running a balanced O.

sack. i stand corrected. thats another solid possibility...but if u dont think 1 sack is worth all the yardage 1 deep pass + the yardage an offense gains from the respect a defense suddenly has to show u are mistaken. look back on the majority of games we won early on. in almost all of the games their was a long pass play. we have the speed. carr has the arm. we've had success with it in the past. to limit your offense because you have no faith in your offensive line for at least 5 plays to give carr 4 seconds means you need to find a new o line...or new scouts. and suddenly palmer gets a stay of execution. i disagree with you even if it means we give up an extra sack per game. this is not an expansion line with ryan schuab (or whatever his name was) starting.

the problem thus far is the same mentality you promote...scared playcalling.

air it out. open up the running game, open up a short passing game and occasionally nail the bomb. how can u disagree with that?

3rd Coast Playa said:
if i aint mistaken wasnt it mcleon, at home last year against the chiefs who made that int...
You are correct, McCleon was the culprit.

With those big plays downfield that should open up the runs and short passes even more. If we could just pass block a little better that would help.

Man, every time I see him play I remind myself how soooo glad I am we took him instead of CRogers. I think even beyond the injury aspect of it, he is so much more of a dominant athlete than Lion-Boy. Mad props to the Lions for passin him up. :rofl:

powda said:
sack. i stand corrected. thats another solid possibility...but if u dont think 1 sack is worth all the yardage 1 deep pass + the yardage an offense gains from the respect a defense suddenly has to show u are mistaken. look back on the majority of games we won early on. in almost all of the games their was a long pass play. we have the speed. carr has the arm. we've had success with it in the past. to limit your offense because you have no faith in your offensive line for at least 5 plays to give carr 4 seconds means you need to find a new o line...or new scouts. and suddenly palmer gets a stay of execution. i disagree with you even if it means we give up an extra sack per game. this is not an expansion line with ryan schuab (or whatever his name was) starting.

the problem thus far is the same mentality you promote...scared playcalling.

air it out. open up the running game, open up a short passing game and occasionally nail the bomb. how can u disagree with that?

Risk vs. Reward

Age old delema

Yes! a 10yrd loss on any down kills the drive.

the Texans have the talent now, lets give them some time to work together. I'm really surprised no one has brought up the fact the team is relativly healthy as oppossed to last year, this should really reflect positivly if this trend continues the rest of the season. Yes the Oakland offensive line is good, but the Texans are improving :headbang:

Jwwillis said:
Risk vs. Reward

Age old delema

Yes! a 10yrd loss on any down kills the drive.

yup it could. and a 40 yard bomb makes points happen. lets not forget we were domminated at the line of scrimmage due in part to playing a 2nd-3rd string right guard at a time when we possed no running threat because of davis' injury.

as i said i'll take an extra sack or 2 to put more points on the board. i dont think its a leap of faith to think we could provide carr the oppurtunity to do it 2-3 more times a game.

what we've been doing hasnt always worked...why not try something new?
speed isnt the issue...carr has a great arm...so whats the issue?

im not looking for an exclusivley deep passing game...just a little more often then we have...our history with victories proves it works.

I wonder how many "We're not controlling the ball enough" complaints there would be if we threw the ball downfield more and didn't come up with completions. I am also sure we would hear alot of Carr is not accurate threads.

The deep bomb comes at two times in the game, trying to make something happen in desperation or because a team has been executing all the intermediates and then goes up for the juggler.

Back