Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ali4Real's Texans 09' Mock Draft

A

Ali4Real

After doing some research on the internet and looking at various clips of top senior athletes I decided to make my own Texans Mock Draft. I excluded any underclassmen because I don't know who's going to declare and who's not. So, here it is and please feel free to comment!

ROUND 1 ~ Don't Know...please feel free to fill in!

ROUND 2 ~ Patrick Chung, DB 6'0" 210-Lbs

Chung is a smart and hard-hitting DB who will probably play safety, possibily SS for us. Iv'e seen some of his game and he is a real threat in the backfield. If Fred Bennett can develop into a solid CB and Dunta is resigned, adding Chung would be another plus for the Texans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAgUERW4VEg

ROUND 3 ~ Edwin Williams, C 6'3" 315-Lbs

Built like a guard, this Terps center is a big force. Couldn't find any highlights but I recomend him in the case that max Unger is gone (which he well be). He could move over to guard but as a center I think with a bit of coaching he could turn out alright.

Williams opened holes for running backs Lance Ball and Keon Lattimore, who combined to rush for nearly 1,600 yards and 25 TDs he also helped first-year starting QB Chris Turner post the third-best passing efficiency rating in the ACC (Terps website)

ROUND 4 ~ Chase Coffman, TE 6'6" 245-Lbs

Coffman was a John Mackey Award winner and I dunno if he will last this long but if he does we should grab him. Has the size and will probably get bigger over the years. With Bruener gone doesn't hurt to have another TE just in case.

ROUND 5 ~ Rashad Jennings, RB 6'1" 230-Lbs

Big, physical and probably on every Texans mock draft. A great addittion to the team and can become our power back we need.

ROUND 6 ~ Jonathan Casillas, OLB 6'1" 226-Lbs

Comming off an injury, he is a speedy OLB and could backup our linebacking corps well. I think with Addibi, Bentley, Ryans, and Diles healthy we are set at the LB position. Casillas has 4.48 40-yard and is a fast LB that can tackle well.

ROUND 7 ~ Sammie Lee Hill, DT 6'4" 328-Lbs

From a small school I presume (Stillman???). Saw some you tube clips and he's a big, physical force we can develop in case Frank Okam project doesn't pan out.

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=3819340&pid=4256318&st=0&#entry4256318

*Whew*....Well there you have it folks, feel free to comment!

:cowboy1:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Tyson Jackson as a top 3 player to avoid like the plague in the draft. He had a ton of hype surrounding him before the season and essentially flopped. He isn't a premeir 4-3 DE. He is much closer to a 3-4 DE (Spears anyone?) than a 4-3 end (Michael Johnson, Greg Hardy). Jackson has easy bust written all over him. I like him as much as that Michigan DT everyone wanted two or three years back. I would be royally pissed off if my team drafted him in the first round, or first day. He isn't even the best pro-prospect on the LSU DL.

I love Chung's game at the college level. He is what you want in a college S. However, he is going to have issues with speed and athletic ability. He just isn't a guy who can provide any help over the top. He is an "in-box" safety. He knows how to hit, but he doesn't know how to backpedal. I look at him somewhere between C.C. Brown and little Barber. Would you spend a 2nd round pick knowing that going into the draft?

I really don't know too much about the Maryland Center. Interesting choice. When I've evaluated their offense, I've pretty much only been looking at Bey. However, Maryland does have an exceptional strength and conditioning program. I will make sure to watch some of his film soon. Thanks for the heads up.

Coffman just may be the best TE in college. I know the OU kid can stretch the field, but Coffman can do everything. His game compares to Greg Olsen as a prospect (who I called before his final year at the U. Look that up Pete.), but he isn't quite as fast in the open field as Olsen was. Coffman should be a first day pick. If he falls that far and we don't take him, I will kill people.

The Jennings pick there would be tremendous.

I don't know jack to this point about your other two.

6'3" 315lbs for a center..... I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing it.

I do like the big Tackle in the 7th round, I like the reasoning. But with that reasoning in mind, I'd like to take a big tackle in the 7th as well as on the first day.

I have Tyson Jackson as a top 3 player to avoid like the plague in the draft. He had a ton of hype surrounding him before the season and essentially flopped. He isn't a premeir 4-3 DE. He is much closer to a 3-4 DE (Spears anyone?) than a 4-3 end (Michael Johnson, Greg Hardy). Jackson has easy bust written all over him. I like him as much as that Michigan DT everyone wanted two or three years back. I would be royally pissed off if my team drafted him in the first round, or first day. He isn't even the best pro-prospect on the LSU DL.

I love Chung's game at the college level. He is what you want in a college S. However, he is going to have issues with speed and athletic ability. He just isn't a guy who can provide any help over the top. He is an "in-box" safety. He knows how to hit, but he doesn't know how to backpedal. I look at him somewhere between C.C. Brown and little Barber. Would you spend a 2nd round pick knowing that going into the draft?

I really don't know too much about the Maryland Center. Interesting choice. When I've evaluated their offense, I've pretty much only been looking at Bey. However, Maryland does have an exceptional strength and conditioning program. I will make sure to watch some of his film soon. Thanks for the heads up.

Coffman just may be the best TE in college. I know the OU kid can stretch the field, but Coffman can do everything. His game compares to Greg Olsen as a prospect (who I called before his final year at the U. Look that up Pete.), but he isn't quite as fast in the open field as Olsen was. Coffman should be a first day pick. If he falls that far and we don't take him, I will kill people.

The Jennings pick there would be tremendous.

I don't know jack to this point about your other two.

You hit the nail on the head about Tyson Jackson.

I bet Coffman ends up with the Colts. Just seems like a perfect fit.

but Coffman can do everything.

Except block. Pettigrew is a three down TE.

Well if we're moving back to a three four I wouldn't rule Jackson out. Rather have the higher motor guy in San Jose State's Jurron Gilbert....third to fourth round. I think Mario Williams with his knuckles on the ground in the 3-4 odd man front is a waist though. Might as well move him for a pair of ones.

Watched Chung last night....ho hum. More impressed with the Western Michigan guy.

Coffman fits. Daniels is coming up after this year. Brunner's roster spot is now open. Nice pick.

Don't know five.

Last edited:
Except block. Pettigrew is a three down TE.

Pettigrew is a fine ball player. He is a legit first day TE prospect. With that said, I would still take Coffman over him. He is just clutch. He makes every play. His hands are better than most WR, and his downfield concentration is something I haven't seen from a TE since Olsen. And pete, Coffman can block just fine and he does. He has a good body on him to do it, and he often stayed on the line to block. When you run a spread like that, a lot of times the TE will stay on the line to provide an extra man. It's like an extra OT on the field. You will also notice Coffman chipping his man so that the OT next to him can get a better block on run plays. KU runs a very similar spread and our TE does the same stuff. He just isn't anywhere near as talented as Coffman. I am so glad to have him out of the conference though.

I'd love to see Rey Maulauga in the first. He can play all three LB positions and could move inside to give us more beef with DeMeco on the outside.

This is the best mock draft I've seen so far. Rashad Jennings and Patrick Chung are on my mock as well. (I'll post it on here one of these days)

I'd say in the 1st you'd have to go B.J. Raji if he is still available at 15.

He can and he would be a great addittion to our team but he can be overly aggressive (sometimes too much for his own good). However, I see him as a 3-4 OLB/DE type of guy, but he does bring agression to any roster.

Really? I think he is a perfect 4-3 MLB. I think he has good lateral quickness and has the rare athletic ability to become a premier MLB in the NFL. I think you could put him at ILB in a 3-4, but I feel like that might be wasting him a little. He's too athletic for that, but he could fit very well with a team like NE because of his ability to drop back into a zone to cover the blitzing LB.

I would love to have his talent on the Texans, but I just don't think I could spend that pick on a MLB.

I'm going to call that Mike Rivera goes to NE in the 5th round. (KU guy) Not worth it's own thread, but thought I would throw that out there.

I'd love to see Rey Maulauga in the first. He can play all three LB positions and could move inside to give us more beef with DeMeco on the outside.

Brilliant! Let's take our former Defensive ROY and Pro-Bowl MLB and move him outside! I just scratch my head every time I see a post that recommends moving DeMeco to an OLB. The guy is good right where he is.

Personally, I think Maulauga is overrated. He's strong and bullish, but not as instinctive as you may think. For my money, the best two players on that USC defense are probably Clay Matthews and Kevin Ellison. They both pass the eye test on overall playmaking ability imo. Mays will go higher than Ellison of course (hopefully to our Texans).

I like Chung, but he projects as a SS. The Texans already have a logjam at that position with Harrison, Barber, Brown, and Ferguson. Hopefully, our new DC will want a true FS like Mays and get rid of this garbage interchangeable Safeties bull that Dick Smith was running. The Texans need a bonafide playmaking Safety if they are to make the playoffs next season. Look at all the teams playing in the playoffs this weekend. Nearly every one of them has a bonafide playmaker at the Safety position: Reed with Baltimore, Wilson in Arizona, Dawkins in Philly, Weddle with the Chargers, Griffin in TN, Palomalu in Pitt, Godfrey in Carolina, and Phillips in NY. The Texans desperately need a player at safety like one of these guys.

Back