Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

AJ working hard on reducing the drops

edo783

Hall of Fame
Sportsline article had this about how AJ the others are working on their hands.

Johnson worked tirelessly in the offseason to cut down on the drops. He would stand in front of a machine that fired passes harder and faster than Carr could -- which is saying something -- and catch 100 or so balls a day. One day last week following a practice, he was there again with Bradford and Gaffney doing a post-practice routine in front of the machine.

At one point, the receivers had the guy running the machine turn it up, making the ball come out as if it was shot from a cannon. Johnson didn't drop a pass.

"I'm more relaxed now," Johnson said. "Last year, I was a little tentative. Now I know what needs to be done, and I do it."

To help improve his speed, he dropped his weight from 230 to 215, and he looks quicker. At 6-foot-3, he's going to be one heck of a cover for the league's corners.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7564002

He does look relaxed...
img7565418.jpg

Here is another article, "Five things you should know":
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7564016

The offense was "terrible" in the Dolphins scrimmage? That's the first truly bad assessment I've seen. Everything I've read or watched said both offenses struggled somewhat...but made no mention of either side playing terrible.

TexanExile said:
The offense was "terrible" in the Dolphins scrimmage? That's the first truly bad assessment I've seen. Everything I've read or watched said both offenses struggled somewhat...but made no mention of either side playing terrible.
I don't think that there was any question that both defenses were ahead of the offenses at this point in the preseason. Prisco was being too harsh, but overall I agree with his assessment:
The offensive was terrible against the Dolphins, especially left tackle Seth Wand, who is a projected starter. Wand, a third-round pick in 2003, had a bad day against Jason Taylor in the Texans' scrimmage with the Dolphins on Saturday. The Texans might be forced to help him a bunch this year with a tight end and backs chipping. Eventually, though, he should develop into a solid player.
I think that Wand will need some help against the upper echelon pass rushers early on. On the flip side, I think Pitts & Wand will develop into a top run blocking tandem. With Wade & Wiegert on the other side, opponents won't be able to cheat against the run.

As far as AJ is concerned, he looks much better catching the football in the 2 times I've seen him. Did anyone see on the local news (Chan. 11?) that one-handed catch Gaffney made on a Carr bullet over the middle. That was impressive.

On I believe Sportingnews.com they have a bit on AJ listed under something I like and think we should adopt for him. The heading is:

The Silent Assassin

Seems to say it right to me. :headbang:

Did anyone see on the local news (Chan. 11?) that one-handed catch Gaffney made on a Carr bullet over the middle. That was impressive.

I thought that was Bradford, but yes, it was impressive.

Back