Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

AJ McCarron Hurt

With McCarron hurt, who do y’all think we’ll bring in to perform in preseason. They say it’s not serious, but that he’ll miss some time.

It never ceases to amaze me that we can be so thin so early at such critical positions as QB and RB. Why is there not a young QB on the roster that we should be grooming?

It never ceases to amaze me that we can be so thin so early at such critical positions as QB and RB. Why is there not a young QB on the roster that we should be grooming?

We have one, his name is Watson. And if we brought in another hotshot to train, if the length of Watson's career is what we hope, we'd end up trading that young hotshot off to someone or losing him in free agency. (If he was any good, that is.)

This is the OBrien show.

Every year we are scouring the scrap heap for offensive players. He is not prepared

We need somebody to come in. Hope he doesn't trade for Savage.

Last edited:
A QB who hurts his thumb by throwing the ball is of no use except for taking up a roster spot. I like Nathan Peterman. I also like Colin Kaepernick, but that suggestion was a pretty good joke since they aren't going touch him with a feather.

It's not injured throwing the ball. They hit their hand on a helmet/player.

A QB who hurts his thumb by throwing the ball is of no use except for taking up a roster spot. I like Nathan Peterman. I also like Colin Kaepernick, but that suggestion was a pretty good joke since they aren't going touch him with a feather.

And I don't think Kaepernick really wants to play anyways (regardless of what he says).. If he did he wouldn't of showed up to camp 20 pounds underweight his final year, playing like a camp arm, causing the team to eventually bench him for Blaine Gabbert..

Kaepernick was checking out of the NFL long before he took a knee. Honestly I would rather have Nathan Peterman. I think people forget just how bad Kaepernick was before he got "woke". His "skills" no longer outweigh the drama he'll bring to a franchise/locker room.

Hard pass.

Last edited:
And I don't think Kaepernick really wants to play anyways (regardless of what he says).. If he did he wouldn't of showed up to camp 20 pounds underweight his final year, playing like a camp arm, causing the team to eventually bench him for Blaine Gabbert..

Kaepernick was checking out of the NFL long before he took a knee. Honestly I would rather have Nathan Peterman. I think people forget just how bad Kaepernick was before he got "woke". His "skills" no longer outweigh the drama he'll bring to a franchise/locker room.

Hard pass.

Are people actually still crying about Kaepernick getting signed? Wow.

What's it been like three years since he has played? Amazing that people still think he's a football player.

Why would anyone trade for a camp arm? We just need someone to get us through the preseason.

That was just my sarcastic comment on the guy that qb whisperer Obrien promoted for years as our savior. Of course all we need is a rag arm for 4 weeks.

Are people actually still crying about Kaepernick getting signed? Wow.

What's it been like three years since he has played? Amazing that people still think he's a football player.

Yes.. the media reignites this crap every damn year around this time.

Dude is 3 years removed from playing and when he did play he wasn't even a very good QB.. I don't get the infatuation with him at all.

That was just my sarcastic comment on the guy that qb whisperer Obrien promoted for years as our savior. Of course all we need is a rag arm for 4 weeks.

Yeah I know, that's why I called Tom Savage a camp arm. :)

If A.J. McCarron can injure his thumb passing a football, Savage would probably tear a knee slipping his pads on.

Ta'amu 63% completion and article says negatives are he "zips"short passes and does not throw long. He avg over 9 yards per pass with decent
Accuracy for two seasons. 19 TD to 8 INTs is okay. I want to see how he does on NFL field and how handles himself with zero knowledge of playbook or our WRs and TEs. Your opportunity guy, bring it.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...know-im-better-than-people-say-am/3312972002/

Ta'amu 63% completion and article says negatives are he "zips"short passes and does not throw long. He avg over 9 yards per pass with decent
Accuracy for two seasons. 19 TD to 8 INTs is okay. I want to see how he does on NFL field and how handles himself with zero knowledge of playbook or our WRs and TEs. Your opportunity guy, bring it.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...know-im-better-than-people-say-am/3312972002/
Watched a couple of games of his. I liked what I saw, but I didn’t watch him the entire 2018 season. I thought he would have been drafted at least in the 3rd or 4th round, but I guess NFL teams didn’t think much of him. I can’t wait to see what he does in the preseason. Watson-Light!

All teams with franchise QBs are thin at QB. You know who is the backup to Brady, Brian Hoyer. The fact is we have gotten use to watching bad QBs play and good QBs go down injured so we think you have to carry at least 2 if not 3 stud QBs but the truth is most teams once they find their guy just focus on protecting that one guy and if he goes down they are screwed.

All teams with franchise QBs are thin at QB. You know who is the backup to Brady, Brian Hoyer. The fact is we have gotten use to watching bad QBs play and good QBs go down injured so we think you have to carry at least 2 if not 3 stud QBs but the truth is most teams once they find their guy just focus on protecting that one guy and if he goes down they are screwed.

The Pat's also have Danny Etling (Joe Webb type) and Jarrett Stidham as a development QB. I think the history of QB injuries and the poor O-line warrant at least a developmental practice squad player.

Vince Lombardi's famous Packer teams were quarterbacked by Bart Starr who was backed up by Zeke Bratkowsky, who was dam good in his own right.

06wentz-articleLarge.jpg

We have one, his name is Watson. And if we brought in another hotshot to train, if the length of Watson's career is what we hope, we'd end up trading that young hotshot off to someone or losing him in free agency. (If he was any good, that is.)

You always want developmental QB's on the roster. If you end up trading them , great , you usually get a premium return.
I'd rather have a quality backup than not. Just look what happened when Schaub went down and there was nothing behind him , we were QB hunting for years. Finally you get Watson , that doesn't mean you don't want / need another , hell Watson only played 7 games that first year. You needed a guy then ….and what you had was Tom Savage , empty between the ears.

Peterman was abysmal last time he saw an NFL field & he couldn't stick with the QB hungry Bills …..I'd rather suit up @Texan_Bill

Kaepernick …. Might still be NFL capable and I wouldn't mind giving him a looksee but I cant see OB bringing that sideshow on board.

Vince Lombardi's famous Packer teams were quarterbacked by Bart Starr who was backed up by Zeke Bratkowsky, who was dam good in his own right.

Vince Lombardi also coached at a time when QBs didn't have game rules themselves protecting them. You can't compare the football in the 60s to football in 2019. Almost entirely different games.

You always want developmental QB's on the roster. If you end up trading them , great , you usually get a premium return.
I'd rather have a quality backup than not. Just look what happened when Schaub went down and there was nothing behind him , we were QB hunting for years. Finally you get Watson , that doesn't mean you don't want / need another , hell Watson only played 7 games that first year. You needed a guy then ….and what you had was Tom Savage , empty between the ears.

And if Brady gets hurt this year they have Brian Hoyer. Before that, well here is the list:

Rohan Davey (2002-04), Matt Cassel (2005-08), Brian Hoyer (2009-11), Ryan Mallett (2011-13), Garoppolo (2014-17) and Jacoby Brissett (2016)

Not a lot of quality backups there though I suppose you could make the argument of them being trade bait. Though at the same time with as many holes as we have can we afford to use a pick for someone that is a project? Also Tome Savage WAS our developmental QB and he had been baking for 3 years at that point. BoB doesn't exactly have a great QB picking track record. Maybe we can ask Rick Smith to come back just to pick a QB then leave again. :kitten:

In all seriousness we had a good backup in AJ, he was about all you could ask for in a backup. NFL experience, cheap price, understands what is job is, able to keep the ship floating till the captain is back at the helm and a hot wife. Really what more could you want, him getting hurt so soon is a damn shame.

Vince Lombardi also coached at a time when QBs didn't have game rules themselves protecting them. You can't compare the football in the 60s to football in 2019. Almost entirely different games.

In a smaller league also... they say the talent pool is diluted now

Back