Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

AFC South QB's

wags

Veteran
I was just thinking about the QB's in our division and realized it has got to be the best group. Can't think of another division that has two MVP QB's and two stud youngsters. As far as other positions go I'm not sure our division is the best.

We are in the best QB position, you can also make a case that we are one of the best at WR. Harrison, AJ, Mason, Jimmy Smith, pretty strong, and then you add Reggie Williams, Wayne, and Gaff.

Qb's yes! Wr's......Not so fast my friend. With the exception of Harrison, one of the leagues all-time greats, this is still a division with guys trying to regain their form (smith) and young guns trying to break the mold (AJ, Calico) In time, this division will be the most competitive in football, but for now, it still has some growing up to do. From the bottom, up!

I really hope a guy like Kendrick Starling can become a Calico type receiver for us. I think he has alot of potential as well as Sloan Thomas. I hope they both have a very impressive camp this year.

This division isn't bad on running backs either...Edgerin James and Fred Taylor are both proven. DD is and up and comer and Eddie George is on the downside of a really good career.

pittbull said:
Qb's yes! Wr's......Not so fast my friend.
Name the division with better WRs. The NFC East maybe. But I still think the AFC South is the strongest at WR and QB.

i'm not going to say they are better but the nfc east has some good wr too. say what you want about owens but he is a top 3 wr, coles is very good, toomer is underrated, and now they got keyshawn, but those are some me guys.

Lets just look at the QB position for a moment......Which QB would you want to build a franchise around out of the AFC South?

a. Manning

b. McNair

c. Leftwich

d. Carr

:grouphug:

I'll try to be unbias

Manning - costs too much, wont be able to put people around him
McNair - tough, but old and gets injured easily now
Leftwich - strong arm, loves to study tape, the only negative I have heard about him is he had an attitude problem when he first came up (Cryin Byron was his nickname)
Carr - Showed guts (76), born leader, gym rat

Its between Carr and Leftwich, I'll go with Carr

Manning - Sure he costs a lot, but he also makes guys better. His ability to see the field and get rid of the ball quickly helps the O-line. His accuracy allows a receiver to get a little less separation than normal. Peyton makes plays and he wins games. Still, he's got some of that Marino Mojo. His defenses have not been very good and some defense every year finds an answer for his game.

McNair - He also makes the players around him better, but in a different way than Peyton. If his O-line misses a block, Steve can often make the guy miss or just stand in the pocket, take the hit, and get right up. When McNair rolls out, the DBs have to keep one on Steve or else he can bust a scramble on them. I guess McNair's downside is that he's a good, but not a great pocket passer. But, that's a little overrated in today's NFL (sorry Jaws).

Leftwich - Looks like the real deal after one season. I think he was really helped by having such a strong running game which kept teams from teeing off on him. He's got a good arm and looks very comfortable in the pocket. The vets seemed to respond to him late in the season which shows some leadership. Yeah Byron had some turnover issues, but he should grow out of that. His main downside is lack of mobility, which will only become more prevalent as he gets older and takes more hits (see Drew Bledsoe).

Carr - I shared my gut feelings about David last year on the HPF forum, stemming from a couple of observations from the '02 preseason. I recall Carr throwing a bullet down the middle in the KC game, and it was starkly reminiscent of an Elway, Marino, or Jeff George pass. I realized that ability alone would not make him into a star QB, but it made me take notice. A great or would-be great? The difference is leadership, charisma, guts...It, whatever It is. Some had It (Elway), some never even smelt It (George). The 2nd observation I had about Carr came when he wasn't even on the field. Carr went out in the Buc preseason game with what looked like a bad knee injury. There was a spooky feel in Reliant, like a balloon had burst, and the air had been pulled out of our lungs with it. The offensive line response after that play made me see how the team had acknowledged Carr as the team leader. The line just blew the Tampa D-line off the line of scrimmage as if saying, "If you come after our guy, you will pay". Really, it was the most emotion the O-line showed that season. Carr justified their commitment to him by answering the bell against the cowgirls the following week. And every snap that season. It is in moments like that team chemistry is planted and it has continued to grow (the Falcon game this season, for instance).

Logic says you have to take Manning. The guy is still young and he already looks like one of the great QBs in the game's history. He could get better and that's scary. But my gut says go with Carr. He has the physical gifts. That's undeniable. And it seems to me that he has It. I can't prove with numbers that it will happen, but I truly believe Carr will put it all together and become one of the great QBs (and winners) in this league. My vote will go to David Carr.

i probably go with manning right now but that could change. i this is a big year for carr, he has all the tools to be great, now he has to show that he can be great on the field. if carr studied tape as much as manning does then carr could be unbelievable.

TexansCanes said:
if carr studied tape as much as manning does then carr could be unbelievable.
Do you know how much tape Carr watches? Or how much Manning does for that matter? Peyton is and always has been very advanced in his knowledge of the game, but where's the evidence that David is not doing everthing he can to get better?

My AFC South QB rankings:

1. Peyton Manning
2. Steve McNair
3. David Carr
4. Byron Leftwich (he's a player that was dangerous as a rookie, I think he'll really play well this year).

I'd rate McNair just a shade over Peyton for just toughness. I have always thought Manning was a special player though. He proved himself this last year.

I am not sure how many years McNair has played but he's got to be a wreck in the off-season with all the injuries he has.

Back