Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

AFC South preview on NFL.com

Mistril48

Rookie
Pat Kirwan has posted a preview of the AFC South on the NFL.com site

Full Article http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7450559

He makes some interesting observations:

a) only division where all four head coaches made their reputations on the defensive side of the ball;

b) only division where each starting quarterback was drafted in first round; and

c) "The AFC South is a division that lost more talent then it gained this year in free agency. Tennessee and Indianapolis lost at least 14 players combined through free agency, retirement, trades and salary-cap cuts, and didn't sign anyone. You could make a case that the premiere teams in this division took at least a half step backward against the upstart Jaguars and Texans. Neither Tennessee nor Indianapolis had a first-round pick in the draft to help offset the talent depletion."

Kirwan's got a solid rep as a forecaster of team direction and individual talent. I would say that most of his comments are pretty much on the mark, and jive with what our boards consensus is.

I think his comments about the overall strength of the division are what is most telling...I am starting to believe that AFC South may very well be the toughest division in the NFL this season. I think that Tennessee will take a significant slide this year and the Jags and Texans are going to push them pretty hard. The Colts are still pretty much alone at the top of the division with their offensive core relatively unchanged from last year, if their defense ever shows up for the playoffs I think they will rep the AFC in the Super Bowl.

I do like how are schedule of non-division games plays to our favor this year, we have a strong possibility of picking up 3-4 wins and gain some momentum prior to facing the AFC South grinder.

I've always liked reading Kirwan's and Brandt's articles. Even thought they're not always "pro texan", they make legit points, and this one is no exception.

It's better than Prisco's stuff. Prisco's stuff is just downright horrible.

J-Man said:
...I do like how are schedule of non-division games plays to our favor this year ...

I'm not sure if I agree about our non-divisional games. I offer the following comments:

a) we have to play the four AFC West teams. Are we sure we want to play in KC and in Denver, but host San Diego and Oakland. KC and Denver are two of the more difficult places to play for a visiting team. The Jags hosts the Broncos and Chiefs and get to try a steal a road win at San Diego and Oakland; Gulp!

b) none of the northern teams on our schedule have to come to Houston and play in the heat here in September. On the other hand, we have to play in the snow in Chicago and New York in December. That won't help us get a road win. How will we feel if we miss the playoffs because we play on a skating rink in December? Gulp!

c) while we play the Raiders, the Vikings are resting (bye week). The next week, they play us. They are rested and it is our fifth game in a row after 4 pre-season, an exhibition and camp. Gulp!

J-Man said:
... we have a strong possibility of picking up 3-4 wins and gain some momentum prior to facing the AFC South grinder.

I agree that it is a huge benefit to have a late start in our division games, but going to the Titans after the Vikings will be tough. Gulp! It would have been better if it was after our bye week.

JackDizzle said:
I've always liked reading Kirwan's and Brandt's articles. Even thought they're not always "pro texan", they make legit points, and this one is no exception.

It's better than Prisco's stuff. Prisco's stuff is just downright horrible.

I believe that Brandt had identifed both Wand and Babins as special prospects to watch prior to the draft. As I recall, he had Wand as one of his 'top 50' in 2003 and had Babin as one of the players in his second bundle, after his first 15. Something like that.

I think it will work towards our favor to have the "gimmies" at the front. Gets the team ready. Work out all the kinks. Then when they are feeling it, we start the hard stuff.

Quick note of caution...there are NO gimmies in the NFL. I do like our chances in the initial stretch of the season and I stand by my observation that we could very well go into the Division schedule with 3-4 wins. I do think that the we will need to definetly have a game face on to take Denver, I like our chances against the Raiders and Bolts obviously. I think we will have a tough one in KC, but I don't see the Vikes defense improving enough from last year to stop us consistently.

Just my thoughts from the cheap seats.

Back