Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

AFC South Champions

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Hey gents maybe just maybe, Bill O’Brien was playin’ a little possum this season. Maybe he was saving his best play calling for the playoffs.

Disclaimer: I’m just thinking out loud. Lol
IF that is the case.... I would happily admit that his genius fooled me and I would happily jump on the OB day celebrations in Houston.

I'd never be happier to see a big serving of crow on the menu..... I'm not holding my breath though.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Hey gents maybe just maybe, Bill O’Brien was playin’ a little possum this season. Maybe he was saving his best play calling for the playoffs.

Disclaimer: I’m just thinking out loud. Lol
So....you mean not running on every 1st down? Calling runs that don't always go up the middle? An offensive game plan not designed to only work with Fuller on the field? Using Duke to his pass catching strengths? Actual time management at the end of halves? If he does this.....PURE genius.

I kid, I kid. However....I would love to see it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That's why some of these losses have been so frustrating for me - I feel like they lost to teams they should have beaten like a drum in Carolina , Indy and Denver.
Even at 8-8 I don't think we're much better than the Colts.

I'm very much frustrated as I don't see the improvement I expected to see through the season. I figured we'd be three weeks into gelling & getting hot at the right time. But we're in as much chaos & flux as any time during the season.

I think we're on the verge of taking that next step. But the shoe just won't drop

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So....you mean not running on every 1st down? Calling runs that don't always go up the middle? An offensive game plan not designed to only work with Fuller on the field? Using Duke to his pass catching strengths? A
Watson could help us in all these situations in spite of Bill O'Brien.

Check out of 1st down runs.

Get comfortable throwing to Stills.

Identify the Duke-LB mismatch.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Watson could help us in all these situations in spite of Bill O'Brien.

Check out of 1st down runs.

Get comfortable throwing to Stills.

Identify the Duke-LB mismatch.
Absolutely agree. SO game plan for the playoffs would be - Take the leash off Watson and let him go have fun!

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think Watson is extremely smart. I don't think O'Brien is holding the leash. Watson has to let go.
I don’t know if Watson has that much freedom in first down runs. There’s been a couple of times that I’ve noticed his body language when he hands off the ball like he would prefer a different play.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It really has nothing to do with not being able to beat any particular team - The Ravens included.

It boils down to improvement over the year before - We haven't seen that nor do most of us expect it with the current coaching staff (and QB in your case).

Its been 6 years and OB is still making the same mistakes in game / team / clock management. Is there anything that makes you think he's suddenly going to put it all together ?? I don't see it.
Is he suddenly going to figure out his QB isn't a Tom Brady or Drew Brees clone that can pick teams apart from the pocket ?! I don't see it ….

Then you look at teams like Baltimore who have very similar QB's to ours putting their guy in positions that work for him - and pass catchers that are wide open , easy throws as a result of the pressure their QB puts on a defense.
Those same teams have coaches who show competence in game / team and clock management.

6 years in …. expecting OB to get it is insanity.

Its time to move on , bring in a new vision cause the old one has proven , over time its not good enough.
Are the Texans a better team this year than they were last year? Yes

DW4 isn't and never will be LJ. LJ's a Vick type special athlete. You really want your franchise QB who has had ACL on both of his knees to run the Ravens offense?

In a way I wish they would just so I could be entertained when DW4 blows out his knee again and I would get to see all of the responses around here .

That would be awesome theater and as Double Barrel said, this is just entertainment. Even you would have to admit it would be entertaining.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Are the Texans a better team this year than they were last year? Yes

DW4 isn't and never will be LJ. LJ's a Vick type special athlete. You really want your franchise QB who has had ACL on both of his knees to run the Ravens offense?

In a way I wish they would just so I could be entertained when DW4 blows out his knee again and I would get to see all of the responses around here .

That would be awesome theater and as Double Barrel said, this is just entertainment. Even you would have to admit it would be entertaining.
Nothing like wishing your franchise QB blows out his knee just to prove your ridiculous point. Why even stick around to watch this team? Be like Texian and vanish.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Nothing like wishing your franchise QB blows out his knee just to prove your ridiculous point. Why even stick around to watch this team? Be like Texian and vanish.
I'm not wishing for him to blow out his knee. I'm just saying that is what will happen if they were to run the Ravens offense with DW4's injury history.

And the posters who want this should be very careful of what they wish for

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
It really has nothing to do with not being able to beat any particular team - The Ravens included.

It boils down to improvement over the year before - We haven't seen that nor do most of us expect it with the current coaching staff (and QB in your case).

Its been 6 years and OB is still making the same mistakes in game / team / clock management. Is there anything that makes you think he's suddenly going to put it all together ?? I don't see it.
Is he suddenly going to figure out his QB isn't a Tom Brady or Drew Brees clone that can pick teams apart from the pocket ?! I don't see it ….

Then you look at teams like Baltimore who have very similar QB's to ours putting their guy in positions that work for him - and pass catchers that are wide open , easy throws as a result of the pressure their QB puts on a defense.
Those same teams have coaches who show competence in game / team and clock management.

6 years in …. expecting OB to get it is insanity.

Its time to move on , bring in a new vision cause the old one has proven , over time its not good enough.
This sums it up nicely.

Saw this on the internet:

"Bill O’Brien has been screaming for years that he’s incapable of bringing the Texans past the first round of the playoffs. Worst of all, he’s the only coach in the NFL capable of stopping Deshaun Watson. Maybe, just maybe, we should listen to what BOB’s been saying to us."

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I'm not wishing for him to blow out his knee. I'm just saying that is what will happen if they were to run the Ravens offense with DW4's injury history.

And the posters who want this should be very careful of what they wish for
You literally said

“ so I could be entertained when DW4 blows out his knee again”

That’s you wishing injury to our stud Qb for your own personal enjoyment. That’s what trolls do.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You literally said

“ so I could be entertained when DW4 blows out his knee again”

That’s you wishing injury to our stud Qb for your own personal enjoyment. That’s what trolls do.
Stud QB?

Nope that's pointing out how stupid it would be to let DW4 run the offense that LJ is currently running. If you think DW4 is/can become a top 5 QB, (I dont) then you shouldn't want him running that offense.

Just because I would find the aftermath on this board to be hilarious if he was to run that offense doesn't mean I'm rooting for him to get hurt. Although it doesn't surprise me that you would post your post.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
They seem to only focus on just him. Bill O’Brien didn’t call a great either. The entire offense was terrible.

We’re in the playoffs and hopefully the entire team brings their A game.
I hope your right but you didn't answer the question.

Reactions: JB

banned1976

sleeper mode
Going forward, I’m not precisely sure what I want the Texans to do with the offense during the playoffs, just something different. Motion the receivers, TE’s, and running backs. Don’t let the opposing teams defensive backfield to just relax back there. Keep them guessing. Move Watson and the pocket. Watson has never been comfortable just dropping back. And as soon as he feels the pocket shrinking he gets happy feet.

They were talking on 610 about BoB not scripting the first set of plays. They pointed out that he likes to wait and see what the defense is doing. I’d rather see the offense up-tempo to start games and at least look like they know what they’re doing - look prepared to take it to the defense.

BoB’s going to have to adapt for the playoffs. The offense has to be the catalyst for this team. They don’t have the defense to win “ugly” in the playoffs. They’re not going to be playing Jameis Winston again this season.

Talk to me in after 2 more seasons. The Ravens may win a Superbowl this year, but that offense is on BORROWED time. You can look at what happen in SF with that offense and Kaepernick. The league adjusted to Roman's offense and Kaepernick got hurt (throwing shoulder). No QB will last running plays where he runs off guard/tackle by design. He will eventually take that 1 hit from a DT/DE or LB that will seriously hurt him.

michaelm

vox nihili
back to back again does this mean next year we dont even make the playoffs ..????

i remember when peyton manning and the colts had this divison on lock down like 5 straight div titles

with that being said i dont think the colts belong in this divison there not even in the south ..switch them with bucs,dolphins,saints,falcons,cowboys,panthers ..... which one yall want LOL
You listed three teams in the NFC South. Why would it make any sense to swap the Colts to another South division?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
For those saying we have zero chance of winning a SB remember the only teams that have zero chance are those that didn’t make the playoffs. Of the 32 teams only 1 will win the SB so does that mean that the other 31 teams aren’t worth watching and, if they are your team, cheering for? We have a shot which is more than what 20 other teams can say.

Now do I think we’ll actually win or even make it? Nope, not a bit but that doesn’t mean I think we have no business being here. We played a tough schedule this year, a schedule many said would expose the team, and still came out with a winning record and a spot clinched. It was ugly, it was brutal but at the end of the day winning is all anyone remembers.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Talk to me in after 2 more seasons. The Ravens may win a Superbowl this year, but that offense is on BORROWED time. You can look at what happen in SF with that offense and Kaepernick. The league adjusted to Roman's offense and Kaepernick got hurt (throwing shoulder). No QB will last running plays where he runs off guard/tackle by design. He will eventually take that 1 hit from a DT/DE or LB that will seriously hurt him.
I agree but some would say winning even one SB is worth it. With the way contracts and fee agency works it’s almost impossible to keep a roster together anyway because some idiot team will throw stupid money at any player with a ring no matter how good they actually are, looking at you Raiders.

I don’t know if we will ever see a legacy of year after year winning like we have in the past where one team dominated. I think the Pats are the last one and even that old champion race horse is about ready to be put out to pasture.

bigmck

Rookie
This sums it up nicely.

"Bill O’Brien has been screaming for years that he’s incapable of bringing the Texans past the first round of the playoffs. Worst of all, he’s the only coach in the NFL capable of stopping Deshaun Watson. Maybe, just maybe, we should listen to what BOB’s been saying to us."
Do you really believe any coach, I repeat, any coach would claim that. It would be like asking to be fired.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Their "No Huddle Offense" seems to work everytime. I would like to see that on the opening drive, not only in the fourth quarter.
They definitely need to find that formula again where they score 30 points a game. They may not do it against a good defense, but it will keep them honest.
They also need to be more disciplined - you cant hand out penalties willy nilly against good teams either.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
This sums it up nicely.

Who said that? Anyone credible or just a disgruntled fan?

ROO

Do you really believe any coach, I repeat, any coach would claim that. It would be like asking to be fired.
I think the guy that wrote that was talking about O'Brien speaking through his actions, not through actual words. So yeah, O'Brien didn't actually say anything of the sort, but when he makes timeout gaffes, challenge gaffes, playcalling gaffes, etc, he is screaming loud and clear that he isn't what he should be.

I particularly liked the part about O'Brien being the only coach in the NFL that could stop Watson. That was humorous in my opinion. Like all the other defensive coordinators can't stop Watson, but BOB does a pretty good job of it himself.

ROO

Who said that? Anyone credible or just a disgruntled fan?
Some disgruntled fan at SB Nation, so not anyone necessarily credible. But I am sure the dude does have eyes and watches the games, so there is that. I thought it was pretty funny and contained at least some partial truths.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Some disgruntled fan at SB Nation, so not anyone necessarily credible. But I am sure the dude does have eyes and watches the games, so there is that. I thought it was pretty funny and contained at least some partial truths.
I would find most any member here more credible (and knowledgeable)than any at SB Nation

partial truths are fairly common

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
See it’s unrealistic statements like that that makes it so hard to have a rational discussion around here. So all the teams failings fall on him as the HC but no credit for any of their success.

Yeah that make sense.
Watson covers his ass by being Watson. Anything else

Oh yeah

All the 1st yr coaches sucked this year, except the one who had Rodgers.

No credit to OB, hes actually a crutch to Watson game

Just my thoughts

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We win the Division and can sit out our starters in this weeks game.
Would you rather we win the division & rest our starters, with three games between us & a Super Bowl appearance,

Or

Win the division, play for home field & a bye week, rest your starters & only have two games between us & a Super Bowl appearance?

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Would you rather we win the division & rest our starters, with three games between us & a Super Bowl appearance,

Or

Win the division, play for home field & a bye week, rest your starters & only have two games between us & a Super Bowl appearance?
Option A.

Option B does not guarantee the win, so you risk an injury and not getting the bye. What good does that do?

Now if we were Seattle or SF tonight, you obviously play. It's the difference between the division and being the 5th or 6th seed. Easy choice.