Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Adam Rank at NFL.com predicts every 2023 NFL game

My son and I watched that last night and a couple of things stood out to me.
First, he thinks the Texans have more wins in them this year over last year.
Second however, when you get to that point, it's not really that hard to conceive two more wins and a possible wild card birth, which is what I have called for in 2023. Predictions at this point of the year are pretty worthless, but I enjoy the heck out of them. Sort of like mock drafts. Totally pointless in trying to figure out what is going to happen, while equally being totally addicted to try nonetheless.

Totally pointless in trying to figure out what is going to happen
Unless you're futures gambling.

For those that have yet to see it, Rank has the Texans winning more games late in the season than early. Which makes sense to me. This team will need some time to gel. But...maybe they figure it all out a bit earlier? Considering the division the Texans play in, playoff contention in the last few weeks could be a possibility.

Since the draft I've had them at 7 wins, plus/minus 1 depending on a bounce of the ball.

I'll check this out later but I also think they start slowly and start to put things together late in the year, giving us some real mo going into 24. That's when I expect them to compete hard for a playoff spot, and likely making it.

Should be 8-10 wins.

Likely will be 6-7 wins.

What does that mean? Why should it be and why won't it be? I think anything above 8 starts to get into wishful thinking. This is a rookie QB with a bottom 5 WR room. On D, lots of new pieces, new schemes on both sides of the ball, rookie HC and OC to name a few.

If they land in the 6-8 range, that's great given the above imho. That's where I've got them at the moment.

Again, I just think there's as much reason to think they do better than most think, as there is them doing much worse than most think.
This team could absolutely go to crap and they are picking in the top 5 or they could make the playoffs in Stroud's rookie season.
If they hit 6 wins through their first 10 games, which I don't rule out, why can't they eek out 3 more through the last 7 ??

I get it though and have suffered through the seasons of suckage more than most being a Bengals fan.
It's harder to envision your crap team making a large improvement, then it is to expect the suck to continue.

I'm telling you, the Bengals made strides not simply because Burrow and Chase, although most point to that and nothing else.
They overlook what it took for us to get to this point, the shift in philosophy from the front office regarding their handling of free agency, getting the stick out of their backside in regards to naming rights and how to bankroll guaranteed portions of contracts, placing a large importance on the draft and getting the right guys, and in my opinion one of the biggest things (something almost never mentioned) is the culture that new coach Zac Taylor brought to the organization.

This is why I love seeing what the Texans are doing. I see a more thought out approach to free agency (not the haphazard crap from 2022), being aggressive in the draft, and a VERY apparent change in culture that seemingly oozes from Ryans that cannot help but be great for the players.

I'm sticking with my 9-8 with a Wild Card opportunity at the end of the season.
If they fall short, so be it, but I see too many similarities to overlook it.

Feel free to point and laugh come the end of the season. I will be right here !!!

Again, I just think there's as much reason to think they do better than most think, as there is them doing much worse than most think.
Beginning of the season there are many teams that haven’t quite figured it out yet & there will be some gaffs by many teams that will cost them games.

hopefully the Texans will benefit from that & go into the bye week with 3 or 4 wins.

They should be truly competitive on the 2nd half of the season, could pick up another 5 wins.

Injuries also happen to all teams.
I think most are automatically penciling in the Jags as AFCN favorites, but what if the unthinkable happens and Lawrence goes down? Is that still the same team? While I'm not "hoping" or "planning" for injuries to take place, I am acknowledging things can quickly shift. All teams are in that situation.

Stay healthy, keep improving and my bet is they are right there come the end of the season.

The cup is half full or half empty for a lot of folks. A case could be made that they only win 4 or 5 just as easily as building a case for 9 or 10. I tend toward the middle of the potential outcomes. Some days the ball bounces your way and some days it doesn’t. So 6 or 7 feels about right. I expect a team that gets off to a very slow start, and slowly builds the ole mo later in the season, giving fans great optimism for 2024.

Back