Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

A Tale of Two Franchises

Gingerfish

Practice Squad
Been a while since I have posted, but I do come back to read here during the season. I have a new username as I could not for the life of me remember the email I originally used for my account. Anyway, to the meat of my post.

I was in San Diego in 1991, going out to a bar and I noticed a billboard. It was for the hometown San Diego Chargers. On the billboard was the entire schedule with the scores from the entire season. I thought this was strange as it was before digital signage and that meant they had to go up and add the game score by hand after every Sunday. The charger went 4 – 12 that year. (I guess the marketing guy for the billboard in hindsight probably would not have left that reminder up for the public if he had to do it over again)

What was interesting, was the information on the billboard. I noticed that most all the games were very close in score. Sure, Cross out a couple of larger margins but the most all the games were in reach of a victory. I thought at the time, man these guys are about to hit it in stride and start winning. I am from Houston and San Diego was not my team it was just an oddity at the time.

After that 1991 season, San Diego ownership fired their coach and hired a new head coach named Bobby Ross. When the Charger started the 1992 season, they lost their first four games, (and their starting QB) in stepped a young QB named Humphries and with a strong defense then ended the season 11-5. Quite the accomplishment! Lost in the divisional round.

The next year, 1993 they went 8-8 and missed the playoffs when they lost Humphries for part of the season. They missed the playoffs by one game after they got him back.

Then in 1994, 11 -5 again, but made it to the Big Dance only to lose the Super Bowl to the 49’s.

So you ask, why the history lesson on the Chargers? Well, I see a few parallels between the 1991 Chargers and the 2022 Texans.

First, not only the record but how they played and hung in to keep many of the games close. 4-12 versus 3-13-1.

Second, the hiring of new head coaches. San Diego hired Bobby Ross, a successful college coach at the time that would lead San Diego to a Super Bowl three years later. The Texans, with the DeMeco Ryans hire of a coordinator of winning team. Both coaches being new to the NFL experience.

Third, the GM’s Bobby Beathard for the Chargers and Nick Caserio for the Texans, used a mix of free agents, trades and new draft prospects. Looking at the Texans roster, a few guys (king, I was 50/50 on Lopez) that I thought were going to be here are gone. Interesting note- Beathard traded to the Oilers Lee William for the Oilers 1992 first round draft pick. (he was the chargers sack leader) The chargers also got a young wide receiver named Shawn Jeffries who would later start in the Super Bowl in 1994!

At any rate, with way of the NFL today there are always teams that people think are going to do exceedingly well that fall on their face, and dark horses that come out of nowhere. These are not analytics that I would take to Vegas and bet the mortgage, but it has been done before. I believe we have a better mix in the pot than we have had in a very long time, and I am hoping for a bit more than the simmer at which it seems to be set with a few expectations. I want an elite team, but i don't expect one(next year) but a few ball bounces could have us in a similar position as the 1992 changers.

I have been a fan with the Texans (and Oilers) and suffered with everyone here. This year’s comparison has been tickling in the back of my mind since the DeMeco hire for some reason from a silly billboard seen by a young man in 1991. I hope it helps to share this story with you for others looking for a positive Sign of where we could as soon as next year.

Last edited:
Thanks for getting me even more excited, not only for this season but for the near future. We’re on to something big here in Houston.

We've got new offenses and defenses and all of the guys that can be possibly be difference-makers are rookies or 2nd year guys. That includes the coaches themselves, who are greener than what used to pass as grass in Houston.

I can see some parallel on some level, I suppose, but turning water into wine? Those Chargers teams had better talent.

DeMeco is good, but he's not that good. 5-7 wins is all I see. I'm calling it 6. If they hit 8, it's a hugely successful year.

If they hit 9 or 10, DeMeco will likely be coach of the year and we'll be the toast of the NFL. I don't see it no matter how much I look through deep steel glasses...but would love to eat a big healthy plate of fried crow!

We've got new offenses and defenses and all of the guys that can be possibly be difference-makers are rookies or 2nd year guys. That includes the coaches themselves, who are greener than what used to pass as grass in Houston.

I can see some parallel on some level, I suppose, but turning water into wine? Those Chargers teams had better talent.

DeMeco is good, but he's not that good. 5-7 wins is all I see. I'm calling it 6. If they hit 8, it's a hugely successful year.

If they hit 9 or 10, DeMeco will likely be coach of the year and we'll be the toast of the NFL. I don't see it no matter how much I look through deep steel glasses...but would love to eat a big healthy plate of fried crow!

There'll be no crow for anybody predicting 7 or less wins this season.

Which, of course, is just another prediction. :lol:

Been a while since I have posted, but I do come back to read here during the season. I have a new username as I could not for the life of me remember the email I originally used for my account. Anyway, to the meat of my post.

I was in San Diego in 1991, going out to a bar and I noticed a billboard. It was for the hometown San Diego Chargers. On the billboard was the entire schedule with the scores from the entire season. I thought this was strange as it was before digital signage and that meant they had to go up and add the game score by hand after every Sunday. The charger went 4 – 12 that year. (I guess the marketing guy for the billboard in hindsight probably would not have left that reminder up for the public if he had to do it over again)

What was interesting, was the information on the billboard. I noticed that most all the games were very close in score. Sure, Cross out a couple of larger margins but the most all the games were in reach of a victory. I thought at the time, man these guys are about to hit it in stride and start winning. I am from Houston and San Diego was not my team it was just an oddity at the time.

After that 1991 season, San Diego ownership fired their coach and hired a new head coach named Bobby Ross. When the Charger started the 1992 season, they lost their first four games, (and their starting QB) in stepped a young QB named Humphries and with a strong defense then ended the season 11-5. Quite the accomplishment! Lost in the divisional round.

The next year, 1993 they went 8-8 and missed the playoffs when they lost Humphries for part of the season. They missed the playoffs by one game after they got him back.

Then in 1994, 11 -5 again, but made it to the Big Dance only to lose the Super Bowl to the 49’s.

So you ask, why the history lesson on the Chargers? Well, I see a few parallels between the 1991 Chargers and the 2022 Texans.

First, not only the record but how they played and hung in to keep many of the games close. 4-12 versus 3-13-1.

Second, the hiring of new head coaches. San Diego hired Bobby Ross, a successful college coach at the time that would lead San Diego to a Super Bowl three years later. The Texans, with the DeMeco Ryans hire of a coordinator of winning team. Both coaches being new to the NFL experience.

Third, the GM’s Bobby Beathard for the Chargers and Nick Caserio for the Texans, used a mix of free agents, trades and new draft prospects. Looking at the Texans roster, a few guys (king, I was 50/50 on Lopez) that I thought were going to be here are gone. Interesting note- Beathard traded to the Oilers Lee William for the Oilers 1992 first round draft pick. (he was the chargers sack leader) The chargers also got a young wide receiver named Shawn Jeffries who would later start in the Super Bowl in 1994!

At any rate, with way of the NFL today there are always teams that people think are going to do exceedingly well that fall on their face, and dark horses that come out of nowhere. These are not analytics that I would take to Vegas and bet the mortgage, but it has been done before. I believe we have a better mix in the pot than we have had in a very long time, and I am hoping for a bit more than the simmer at which it seems to be set with a few expectations. I want an elite team, but i don't expect one(next year) but a few ball bounces could have us in a similar position as the 1992 changers.

I have been a fan with the Texans (and Oilers) and suffered with everyone here. This year’s comparison has been tickling in the back of my mind since the DeMeco hire for some reason from a silly billboard seen by a young man in 1991. I hope it helps to share this story with you for others looking for a positive Sign of where we could as soon as next year.

I remember that 11-5 season well. I had just moved to El Cajon from TX and I actually lived in some apartmenst right across from Jack Murphy. Everytime SD scored they'd fire off that damn cannon so there was no sleeping in on Sunday if they were playing. The entire room shook. That team also ran the ball well, they had Butts and Bieniemy at the time.

Back