Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

A. J. ???

nemisis58

Practice Squad
My crappy job doesn't allow for me to watch many games. What's going on with our man? His last couple games haven't exactly been up to his par. Is it just double coverage, or what?

The Jaguars game...9 rec,74 yds,I say a pretty good game.
The Broncos game...3 rec,28 yds....They didn't go for the Home run like they've been doing the past few weeks,and AJ's numbers will (sometimes) stay down when they don't go deep.

It is going to get tougher for AJ because we are facing teams that run cover 2 and that means less passes for him and more passes for Davis to take what the defense gives us...

But with AJ getting all this attention, look at what Gaff has done...

Fiddy said:
It is going to get tougher for AJ because we are facing teams that run cover 2 and that means less passes for him and more passes for Davis to take what the defense gives us...

But with AJ getting all this attention, look at what Gaff has done...
Gaffney just may be a huge factor that I haven't thought of in this game. That also means Armstrong may be the x-factor also. Hopefully Davis has a break out game. But all year long the Colts' cover 2 has given up big yards through the air so it will not hurt to send it up there once in a while. :jumpbanan

El Tejano said:
Gaffney just may be a huge factor that I haven't thought of in this game. That also means Armstrong may be the x-factor also. Hopefully Davis has a break out game. But all year long the Colts' cover 2 has given up big yards through the air so it will not hurt to send it up there once in a while. :jumpbanan

I think proper play calling and setting up the right plays will allow us to hit one or two deep balls. Maybe not until later in the game...but it's possible. Especially if they spread the ball around a lot. Davis needs a break out game...after his supposedly huge season last year he hasn't lived up to it at all...could be O-line or something else...all I know is our passing game is what's moving the football.

Teams are rolling their coverage to AJ and we are going to other options. Gaff and Armstrong have done well but the running game threatens no team at all, so I'd expect more teams to play us in this manner until we can light someone up and make them pay for this tactic. Dom Davis has over 120 runs with a long run of 10 yards. That isn't going to cut it. No need to peek into the backfield if you know chances are the only way the Texans can beat you is to give up the long ball.

The absence of a TE in the arsenal has a large negative effect as well. Not too long ago I asked Aaron Glenn to put on his offensive coordinator hat and tell me an effective way to beat the cover 2. He said without hesistation to "send a TE up the middle seam." But it can't be a guy with no wheels. He still needs to be able to beat the LB.

I gotta say I miss Billy but at the same time there were plenty of people that didn't like it when all we would do is go to Billy. Armstrong may have alot to do with this. He does a good job of taking over the middle thus we leave Billy for more pass protection.

Back