Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

5th Round ( 171st Overall pick) Isaiah Coutler, Rhode Island

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Meh. Highish ceiling, low floor. Developmental prospect.

Zierlein:

Raw but talented X receiver with NFL-caliber length, speed and athletic ability. He runs a limited route tree and doesn't show enough attention to detail in his route work, but he's loose and fluid with the ability to get that area corrected. He lets coverage off the hook when he doesn't burst and separate like he's capable of, but he has access to plenty of juice when needed. While improvement should be expected, learning to play with better catch aggression and ball-tracking is not a given. Coulter is an explosive, high-upside talent with functional-starter upside, but a lower floor.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Upside with coaching and if he has the want to. Seems to have a lot of laziness in developing his WR skills, gets away with being a better athlete at smaller school. Like a 6'2 receiver to go with the smurfs we have now. BOB will probably make it hard on him until he feels the kid is working on his craft to the level required to stick. Rounded routes, limited tree...

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
If he cant return kicks he probably won't be on the team.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Perhaps he can get excited at a possible future here.
See what happens with this dude - maybe something will click for him and he can reach his potential.
Rough diamond that will require a lot of polishing.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I hear O'Brien clicks really well with guys like this.
Yeah, I strongly suggest the kid makes the best of his chance, BOB patience with non professional actions gets a guy in the dog house quick. I do like the upside and if he comes to work and be ready to work (don't pull a hammy in second stretch). Just heard him on the radio, sounds like he knows he has some stuff to clean up so good start

RGV82

Random guy
From NFL.com
Overview
Raw but talented X receiver with NFL-caliber length, speed and athletic ability. He runs a limited route tree and doesn't show enough attention to detail in his route work, but he's loose and fluid with the ability to get that area corrected. He lets coverage off the hook when he doesn't burst and separate like he's capable of, but he has access to plenty of juice when needed. While improvement should be expected, learning to play with better catch aggression and ball-tracking is not a given. Coulter is an explosive, high-upside talent with functional-starter upside, but a lower floor.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm happy with the talent they added in the draft this weekend. They got some very talented guys at positions of need. I love the defensive slant in this draft. Blacklock has the ability to be a Chris Jones type. Explosive interior rusher this DL has been missing.

Proven players drafted with a late rd flier at WR.

Good job even without a 1st rd pick.

zshawn10

All Pro
3rd or 4th round guy drafted in the 6th

So here's my guy:

Rhode Island WR Isaiah Coulter.

I gave him a Round 3 grade but in a deep WR class I think he'll go later. 6'2", 200 lbs. Plays BIG and has 4.4 speed.

Routes need work, but he's able to win with physicality and speed on vertical routes. Really mean YAC player
— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) March 5, 2020

Last edited:

zshawn10

All Pro
Brugler on Coulter...
22. ISAIAH COULTER | Rhode Island 6017 | 198 lbs. | JR. Brandywine, Md. (Gwynn Park) 9/18/1998 (age 21.60) #8
BACKGROUND: Isaiah Coulter started his prep career at Wilde Lake High School (Columbia, Md.) before transferring to Gwynn Park High School for his final season. Lining up as a wide receiver and tight end, he finished with 40 catches for 755 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2016, earning all-county honors. Coulter also ran track at Gwynn Park, setting personal-bests in the 55-meter dash (6.53) and 300-meters (36.65). A no-star recruit out of high school, Coulter wasn’t ranked by the recruiting services and didn’t receive a scholarship offer from any FBS-level programs. He heard from several FCS teams, mostly from the CAA conference. He had a connection at Rhode Island because his cousin and close friend (Aaron Parker), who also attended Gwynn Park, committed the year prior. Parker is also an NFL prospect in the 2020 NFL Draft class. Coulter’s uncle (Walter Easley) played fullback at West Virginia and for the San Francisco 49ers (1981-82), winning the Super Bowl in his rookie season. Coulter became the rare FCS-level underclassman to skip his senior season and enter the 2020 NFL Draft.

Height: 6017
Weight: 198
Hand: 09
Arm: 31 3/4
Wingspan: 75 3/4
40 Yard: 4.45
10 Yard: 1.52
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 36
Broad Jump: 10’01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.62
3-Cone Drill: 7.28

STRENGTHS: Wins at the line of scrimmage due to his sudden releases…fluid route acceleration to attack the stem…coordinated cuts at the break point, mixing his gears to burst off his plant foot and create separation…stresses pursuit angles due to his catch-and-run skills…has a fifth gear to run away from defenders…long, rangy frame and capable of making full-extension grabs…sticky hands and quick reflexes on throws away from his body…production climbed each season and he performed well vs. better competition on the schedule (152 receiving yards vs. Virginia Tech was the second-most vs. the Hokies in 2019).

WEAKNESSES: String bean limbs and needs to develop his build…underwhelming functional strength…very few broken tackles on his tape, consistently going down on first contact…shows obvious discomfort on contested targets…needs to attack the ball at the nearest point instead of giving defenders a chance to attack the catch point…doesn’t fully understand how to manipulate coverages mid-route…had some unnecessary penalties on his tape due to mental errors…doesn’t have any return experience in college…lack of size/build leads to durability concerns…most of his playing experience came vs. a lower level of competition.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Rhode Island, Coulter lined up inside and outside in offensive coordinator Will Fleming’s scheme. Despite most of his production coming vs. FCS-level competition, he didn’t look out-matched vs. the three FBS opponents URI faced the last two years: 2019 Virginia Tech (9/152/0), 2019 Ohio (2/53/1), 2018 UConn (10/156/1). Coulter, who should be the first Rhode Island player selected in the NFL Draft since 1986 (OL Bob White), is a dynamic receiver, who won’t break many tackles, but his speed helps him uncover. His lean build leads to durability concerns and his focus can be too easily disrupted by crowded catch points. Overall, Coulter is a raw route runner and needs to be more assertive in contested situations, but he is a nifty athlete to create before or after the catch and has yet to play his best football, projecting as a mid-round developmental option in the Brandon Lloyd mold.

GRADE: 4th Round

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
He looks to be a great potential for straight speed receiver. My concerns will be his ability to contest balls because of his height to weight ratio (as relates to strength.......esp., since he chose to not participate in the Combine bench) and surprisingly short arms............as well as the fact that from his college experience, he has never really needed to learn route running...........having had exposure to a very limited route tree.

Last edited:

RGV82

Random guy
He looks to be a great potential for straight speed receiver. My concerns will be his ability to contest balls because of his height to weight ratio and surprisingly short arms............as well as the fact that from his college experience, he has never really needed to learn route running...........having had exposure to a very limited route tree.
What is your concern with his height to weight ratio? He is 6'2", 200 lbs., with room to add some weight. Pretty standard for a WR fresh outta college. Just to name a few Antonio Brown is 5'10", 185, AJ Green is 6'4", 210. Roughly the same ratio.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
What is your concern with his height to weight ratio? He is 6'2", 200 lbs., with room to add some weight. Pretty standard for a WR fresh outta college. Just to name a few Antonio Brown is 5'10", 185, AJ Green is 6'4", 210. Roughly the same ratio.
He looks to be a great potential for straight speed receiver. My concerns will be his ability to contest balls because of his height to weight ratio (as relates to strength.......esp., since he chose to not participate in the Combine bench) and surprisingly short arms............as well as the fact that from his college experience, he has never really needed to learn route running...........having had exposure to a very limited route tree.
I added a comment to my original post before I noticed your response (re. the question of his strength). Height/weight ratio in a player with thin bone structure is always going to be a durability concern with an NFL WR.........just like it has been with Fuller. And if the weight is not heavily skewed to muscle, strength will continue to be suspect and thin bone structure will not be even partially compensated with additional support. I like the pick, but the "weaknesses" written in his profiles correlate with my points of concern.

BTW, I've stood next to Brown.....he is thick-boned and has large muscle structure development..........poor comparison. As far as Green, he has had more than his share of injuries.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
BOB has a personal connection with Coulter, who attended a Penn State football camp when he was a high school sophomore and BOB was the coach.
This seems to be a recurring theme with BOB - if he personally likes a player they are his guy. But if you get on the wrong side, for whatever reason, your done. Putting personal feelings over professional attributes.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I added a comment to my original post before I noticed your response (re. the question of his strength). Height/weight ratio in a player with thin bone structure is always going to be a durability concern with an NFL WR.........just like it has been with Fuller. And if the weight is not heavily skewed to muscle, strength will continue to be suspect and thin bone structure will not be even partially compensated with additional support. I like the pick, but the "weaknesses" written in his profiles correlate with my points of concern.

BTW, I've stood next to Brown.....he is thick-boned and has large muscle structure development..........poor comparison. As far as Green, he has had more than his share of injuries.
Put 10 LBS on him and everything will be fine.

Green hasn't really missed games except for the past 2-3 yrs.

I'm more worried about the short arms when it comes to his physical profile. Hopefully the coaches can teach him the route tree. He seems like a sharp guy.

bah007

Hall of Fame
BOB has a personal connection with Coulter, who attended a Penn State football camp when he was a high school sophomore and BOB was the coach.
This seems to be a recurring theme with BOB - if he personally likes a player they are his guy. But if you get on the wrong side, for whatever reason, your done. Putting personal feelings over professional attributes.
Chemistry in relationships between players and coaches is far more important than fans appear to realize based on how easily the conversation is always dismissed. The ability to build relationships is an incredibly important skill for a coach at any level of sport.

I think it’s less about OB’s personal feelings and more about him being unable to build relationships with young people that don’t possess his desired personality characteristics. So he has to go out and find “his guys” because he can’t build trust with anyone who doesn’t fit that prototype. Unfortunately, not all that uncommon among coaches, but a very rare trait among the successful ones.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Chemistry in relationships between players and coaches is far more important than fans appear to realize based on how easily the conversation is always dismissed. The ability to build relationships is an incredibly important skill for a coach at any level of sport.

I think it’s less about OB’s personal feelings and more about him being unable to build relationships with young people that don’t possess his desired personality characteristics. So he has to go out and find “his guys” because he can’t build trust with anyone who doesn’t fit that prototype. Unfortunately, not all that uncommon among coaches, but a very rare trait among the successful ones.
Case in point, Hopkins recently revealing that he and O'Brien didn't have a relationship during his tenure with the Texans.

bah007

Hall of Fame
Case in point, Hopkins recently revealing that he and O'Brien didn't have a relationship during his tenure with the Texans.
Exactly. Not that uncommon. And I’d bet OB wants relationships with his star players so he can build their trust. They don’t have to be buddies. But there has to be a mutual respect and understanding.

But for whatever reason, he can’t empathize and communicate effectively with Hopkins. For the record, I would wager that OB probably has a pretty good relationship with Watson.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Exactly. Not that uncommon. And I’d bet OB wants relationships with his star players so he can build their trust. They don’t have to be buddies. But there has to be a mutual respect and understanding.

But for whatever reason, he can’t empathize and communicate effectively with Hopkins. For the record, I would wager that OB probably has a pretty good relationship with Watson.
I agree with this.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Hopkins is all about Hopkins, not a BOB type of guy.

I'm surprised if Hopkins didn't do everything possible to ruin the DW4/BOB relationship.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Put 10 LBS on him and everything will be fine.

Green hasn't really missed games except for the past 2-3 yrs.

I'm more worried about the short arms when it comes to his physical profile. Hopefully the coaches can teach him the route tree. He seems like a sharp guy.
I like Coutler's potential, but I don't believe we should try to compare him to Green, who came into the NFL a "made man" the day he came out of college.......well-developed, polished route runner who never shied away from and actually welcomed contact.............and burned up the League from day 1.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
The way the other receivers (not Hopkins) drop due to injury.....OB might want to keep the ones he has and stash at least 3 more on the PS. I might even go as far as giving the current receiver group the nickname, "MASH Unit".

Earl34

Hall of Fame

Recently, I caught an interview with former Texans' WR, Nate Washington. As he was discussing his career and coaches, he mentioned that during his time with the Texans, he connected with Vrabel. He said that most position coaches do not interact with players on the opposite side of the ball. He said Vrabel would talk to him, before practices would tell him to make it hard on the defense and they had a relationship.

I found it interesting that of all the coaches on the offensive side of the ball, a WR would mention the LB coach as the coach he connected with.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Recently, I caught an interview with former Texans' WR, Nate Washington. As he was discussing his career and coaches, he mentioned that during his time with the Texans, he connected with Vrabel. He said that most position coaches do not interact with players on the opposite side of the ball. He said Vrabel would talk to him, before practices would tell him to make it hard on the defense and they had a relationship.

I found it interesting that of all the coaches on the offensive side of the ball, a WR would mention the LB coach as the coach he connected with.
Guys are actively considering playing in TENN (yuck) BECAUSE OF Vrabel! How many guys have come to play here because of OBrien??

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Trading Stills wouldn’t get us much in return. Why do you want to trade him??
I agree. I don't see much value in trading Stills. He has one more year in his contract. At best, he's a complimentary #2 receiver. I could possibly see us getting a 4th rounder, at best?

I'd prefer to keep Stills as insurance for Fuller, as well as have more continuity from last season.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

BINGO

Watching all the tributes to Don Shula yesterday - arguably one of the best HCs in NFL history - what struck me beyond his winning games (only 2 losing seasons in 33 years?? WOW!) is that he was able to coach each individual player to play their best football regardless of their personality, backgrounds, and other various aspects of their personalities/lifestyles.

Like you mentioned, this is one of the qualities that the great coaches have in common, and something we clearly see absent in Houston right now.

Texans owner needs to study NFL history and absorb the lessons. Otherwise, he'll be stuck in a loop of hiring King Billy 2.0 and beyond because he doesn't have the insight and perspective on how to lead men and how to run a championship-caliber organization.