Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

4th Round pick, Tyler Ervin RB San Jose St.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
As far as Ervin's injury history, he missed 4 games in 2012 due to an undisclosed shoulder injury, probably a dislocation. Ervin missed most of the 2013 offseason/preseason with a hand injury. Then he suffered a high ankle sprain in the 1st regular season game. Despite working hard to return throughout the year, he was never able to make it back on the field for the 2013 season. The good news is that he has not experienced any significant injuries since.

ziggy29

Veteran
As an SJSU grad myself, I love that he's drafted as a Texan. As a Texans fan, I look at this pick with mixed feelings.

Tyler Ervin is a stud when it comes to kick returns and I love his speed -- and I think he'd make a great special teamer and possibly a 2nd or 3rd string slot back. He may have been the best available at the time and it's not a bad pick. One of the things I saw of Ervin was that he was good at starting out of the backfield and rotating on the snap to be a deep ball threat.

On the other hand, I want to see more help on the lines.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Not gonna pretend ive ever watched san Jose state but i can read a scouting report like the rest of you. Make the first guy miss is the mantra. He's special teams help no doubt and potentially a 3rd down back.

Would've loved a tackle or dl but im down for more playmakers and speed to overhaul our bland offense. Like. Again.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I don't get this pick all I know is hunt and that other guy there jobs are now in limbo

HouTx11

Rookie
Not that I hate the pick, but when are the Texans going to address the TE position? Is O'Brien bringing back the Run and Shoot offense?

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I would've certainly taken Butler here, but I'm OK with this entire draft. We, as fans, are getting a good look at what OB looks for in players.

I'm guessing the Texans didn't like the drop off in talent at OT. That position worries me the most. What good is it to have all of this speed and deep threats if you can't keep the QB upright?

Number19

Hall of Fame
I would've certainly taken Butler here, but I'm OK with this entire draft. We, as fans, are getting a good look at what OB looks for in players.

I'm guessing the Texans didn't like the drop off in talent at OT. That position worries me the most. What good is it to have all of this speed and deep threats if you can't keep the QB upright?
I'm wondering the same. The only thing I can think of is that the coaches feel good about some of the backup talent, the PS players and UDFA's, from last year. This is something we as fans would have no feel for at this time.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Watching film on Ervin i'm pleasantly surprised by how effective he is as an inside runner. Excellent vision and burst through the hole. He is going to be a heck of a player for us.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I went ahead and compared measurables with a very similarly rated prospect coming out of college. So similar they were both drafted in the 4th round. Ervin at 119 overall and Sproles at 130.

Darren Sproles

5'7" 187 pounds

4.47 40

33" vertical

105" broad jump

3.96 20 yd shuttle

6.96 3 cone

Tyler Ervin

5'10" 192

4.41 40

39" vertical

130" broad jump

4.34 20 yd shuttle

7.03 3 cone

If we can get similar production from Ervin that Darren Sproles has had I think this pick would be classified as successful!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Ervin rejoins former San Jose State offensive lineman David Quessenberry with the Texans.

"He came in as a freshman and he was skinny, but he was always so fast," Quessenberry said. "You just watched the way he played and worked off the field and you knew this kid was going to be special. I used to call him 'The Future' at San Jose.

"After I left, he was one of the guys I kept pretty close tabs on him. He's put on a lot of really good weight and he was a stud for that team. He was one of the best running backs in San Jose history. I got to watch him grow up and I'm excited to see him grow up in the NFL, too, and becoming a better football player and developing."
link

Number19

Hall of Fame
I went ahead and compared measurables with a very similarly rated prospect coming out of college. So similar they were both drafted in the 4th round. Ervin at 119 overall and Sproles at 130.

Darren Sproles

5'7" 187 pounds

4.47 40

33" vertical

105" broad jump

3.96 20 yd shuttle

6.96 3 cone

Tyler Ervin

5'10" 192

4.41 40

39" vertical

130" broad jump

4.34 20 yd shuttle

7.03 3 cone

If we can get similar production from Ervin that Darren Sproles has had I think this pick would be classified as successful!
I've been daydreaming and comparing him against Tony Dorsett. Size and speed are comparable. The other measurables ???

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'm wondering the same. The only thing I can think of is that the coaches feel good about some of the backup talent, the PS players and UDFA's, from last year. This is something we as fans would have no feel for at this time.
Like who ? So they've only taken a single OT (some guy from Tulane) among the undrafted FAs: dunno who they've got in reserve @ OT ? I'm not too comfortable with Clark & Newt.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Like who ? So they've only taken a single OT (some guy from Tulane) among the undrafted FAs: dunno who they've got in reserve @ OT ? I'm not too comfortable with Clark & Newt.
Looking over the current roster, behind the starters Clark and Newton, we have UDFA's Kendall Lamm, Jeff Adams and Andrew McDonald. We also have 5th round selection Oday Aboushi.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Of course not. He's just been drafted. The first OTA for rookies won't be until next Friday.
You think he's going to magically transform once he hits the highest stage? Dorsett did it in college.

Best part of that clip doesn't translate to text - Staubach "after I won the Heisman I told them to call me RO ge Staubach." Lol - cold. Dude is funny in real life too.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Looking over the current roster, behind the starters Clark and Newton, we have UDFA's Kendall Lamm, Jeff Adams and Andrew McDonald. We also have 5th round selection Oday Aboushi.
They think Brown is going to make it back. If he doesn't then they're content playing Clark at LT this season.

XSF- They think he will show grat improvement over last yr after getting his feet wet. Hope their right

They think Martin will be an upgrade over Jones. This is reasonable.

Allen is a better fit in the power scheme that BOB wants to run. Upgrade

Newton- Hopefully he can stay healthy and play at the level he did 2 yrs ago. If he gets hurt Allen can slide over to RT. Where he performed well at times with K.C.

Bergstrom backs up all interior positions.

Adams/McDonald/Lamm etc are wildcards.

If Brown makes it back to where he was the OL will be much better than it looked last yr, with all of the added speed on offense.

Reactions: JB

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If Bergstrum plays well & starts, I hope we don't think less of Martin. I can understand if Bergstrum isn't playing well & Martin can't sniff the starting lineup.

Number19

Hall of Fame
If Bergstrum plays well & starts, I hope we don't think less of Martin. I can understand if Bergstrum isn't playing well & Martin can't sniff the starting lineup.
Probably does't mean a thing, at this early date, but on the Texans' website, the roster has Martin listed as a Guard rather than Center.

vupac1

Waterboy
I'm not too high on Bergstrum.. seems like JAG but hopefully he surprises us.
I'm more intrigued with Mancz, really hope he develops

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
They think Brown is going to make it back. If he doesn't then they're content playing Clark at LT this season.

XSF- They think he will show grat improvement over last yr after getting his feet wet. Hope their right

They think Martin will be an upgrade over Jones. This is reasonable.

Allen is a better fit in the power scheme that BOB wants to run. Upgrade

Newton- Hopefully he can stay healthy and play at the level he did 2 yrs ago. If he gets hurt Allen can slide over to RT. Where he performed well at times with K.C.

Bergstrom backs up all interior positions.

Adams/McDonald/Lamm etc are wildcards.

If Brown makes it back to where he was the OL will be much better than it looked last yr, with all of the added speed on offense.
I don't know if this is a recent change or not, but I see the HT.com roster lists Aboushi as a Tackle.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm not too high on Bergstrum.. seems like JAG but hopefully he surprises us.
I'm more intrigued with Mancz, really hope he develops
Either way... many fans think poorly of XSF because he couldn't beat Ben Jones for the starting job. But Ben was playing well & the Texans may very well wanted him warming up to move to Center the following year.

He looked like a rookie when he got his first game experience, not great, not terrible... like a rookie. Then he looked like a rookie out of position when they put him at tackle.

Last year, I thought he did a fine job getting better every week. I thought he was looking pretty good at the end of the season.

If we have someone who can play the position well now, that person should start, giving us the better chance to win.

Martin, like X is the longterm plan. His time will come.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Either way... many fans think poorly of XSF because he couldn't beat Ben Jones for the starting job. But Ben was playing well & the Texans may very well wanted him warming up to move to Center the following year.

He looked like a rookie when he got his first game experience, not great, not terrible... like a rookie. Then he looked like a rookie out of position when they put him at tackle.

Last year, I thought he did a fine job getting better every week. I thought he was looking pretty good at the end of the season.

If we have someone who can play the position well now, that person should start, giving us the better chance to win.

Martin, like X is the longterm plan. His time will come.
Very good point TK. 2 of the best Olinemen in Texans history (Duane Brown and Chris Meyers) endured rough spots when they started getting playing time. But they got better every week and turned into very good players.

X has the talent to do the same and I hope he shows it this season!

eriadoc

Texan-American
I'll proudly where a Foster jersey till the end of time.
Guys on the radio this morning mentioned that Foster wore #37 his first preseason. They couldn't think of any other #37 guys, but I can. I have and still wear on occasion my #37 Domanick Davis jersey. That guy was a lot better than people give him credit for, and one of the few players worth watching on those early teams.

Just found it interesting that Foster took over a number from DD and then changed, and now Ervin is taking over a number from Foster. Maybe he'll change.