Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

4th Round pick, Tyler Ervin RB San Jose St.

This could explain to some extent why they opted to release him. Carter recorded a not dissimilar 4.44 40-time back in 2015, so should be useful as a return man. Also, he is an out and out receiver. This allows the Texans to backup Coutee, who has been in and out of the side due to injuries, with a genuine receiver as opposed to Ervin who was a running back by trade.

Link

My preference in Billings hasn't done much in Cincy either.

If this is to make room for Foreman coming back from Achilles surgery and who some were saying was in bad playing shape ... I scratch my head.

Looks like another Ricky draft and to think he was here for 12 yrs and 2 regimes.

No rhyme or reason to his selections. Ervin looked like a Darren Sproles type prospect in college but it clearly didn’t work out. But the Braxton Miller project player in 3rd round when the team had needs for more polished prospects was even worse.

Add in that they already had taken Will Fuller round 1 and the needs of the team at the time hindsight being 20/20 draft capital could have been better used elsewhere.

My preference in Billings hasn't done much in Cincy either.

If this is to make room for Foreman coming back from Achilles surgery and who some were saying was in bad playing shape ... I scratch my head.

I think this has more to do with backing up Coutee than it implies Foreman is coming back. Even without Ervin and Foreman we still have 3 RBs on our 53, without Coutee we had no true slot once we let Bruce go

A little surprised by this move, as he was having a decent season as a returner. #9 in yards per kickoff return, #15 in yards per punt return. And most importantly, zero turnovers.

I feel Tyler never got a shot to find his potential here. Similar to Lamar, he needs to get the ball in space, but the few reps he’d get to play RB, BOB would have him run between the tackles.

Not a weird cut. Did Ervin’s performance help us win any games? Or did he simply not lose them due to doing the bare minimum of his job (not fumbling returns)?
Not a surprising cut, but at the same time, wouldn't have guessed it. Has Joe Webb's performance help us win any games? Buddy Howell? Vyncint Smith? Look at the stats I posted above, he wasn't doing bare minimum. 9th in the league for yards per kickoff return.

As others have stated above, I feel this is more of a need to upgrade the backup slot position. Coutee may be questionable for every game the rest of the season.

Coutee may face similar ramifications if he can't contribute on the field because he's nursing injury. However if he can stay healthy he is a far more dynamic football player who can really help his team.

Speaking of injuries, Darren Sproles was supposed to return this week for the Eagles but tweeked something in practice. Only reason DeAndre Carter was even available. That's staying atop waiver wire by Gaine and company. Maybe Philly will bring in Ervin? How ironic :corrosion:

Coutee may face similar ramifications if he can't contribute on the field because he's nursing injury. However if he can stay healthy he is a far more dynamic football player who can really help his team.

Speaking of injuries, Darren Sproles was supposed to return this week for the Eagles but tweeked something in practice. Only reason DeAndre Carter was even available. That's staying atop waiver wire by Gaine and company. Maybe Philly will bring in Ervin? How ironic :corrosion:
Good point BL, it just might work out that way.

:) Sounds good to me.. they liked DeAndre Carter.

Not a surprising cut, but at the same time, wouldn't have guessed it. Has Joe Webb's performance help us win any games? Buddy Howell? Vyncint Smith? Look at the stats I posted above, he wasn't doing bare minimum. 9th in the league for yards per kickoff return.

As others have stated above, I feel this is more of a need to upgrade the backup slot position. Coutee may be questionable for every game the rest of the season.

Surprised they made that move this far into the season but Tyler Ervin is the poster child for a JAG. His punt return average this year isn't even the best of his career, and that's been with the improved play of Teams. And he's been sharing return duties with Fuller the last 2 seasons, where Fuller was much better with poorer Teams.

With the improved play in Teams, I guess the Texans felt Ervin should be doing better than what he was, which again, wasn't even as good as his rookie season where they felt they had to get Fuller in the mix. Deandre Carter is averaging 10.3 per return. That's already better than anything Ervin has ever done.

I'm betting because Ervin was forced to take some offensive snaps here recently that the Texans decided they've got to get something better than that. Ervin really has given you nothing. JAG

Don't know anything about Carter, whether that will be an improvement or not, but I applaud the Texans for not standing pat, even at a critical position like returner.

Surprised they made that move this far into the season but Tyler Ervin is the poster child for a JAG. His punt return average this year isn't even the best of his career, and that's been with the improved play of Teams. And he's been sharing return duties with Fuller the last 2 seasons, where Fuller was much better with poorer Teams.

With the improved play in Teams, I guess the Texans felt Ervin should be doing better than what he was, which again, wasn't even as good as his rookie season where they felt they had to get Fuller in the mix. Deandre Carter is averaging 10.3 per return. That's already better than anything Ervin has ever done.

I'm betting because Ervin was forced to take some offensive snaps here recently that the Texans decided they've got to get something better than that. Ervin really has given you nothing. JAG

Don't know anything about Carter, whether that will be an improvement or not, but I applaud the Texans for not standing pat, even at a critical position like returner.

He may be a JAG, but the team is full of JAGs (all teams are). Why do you think they kept Howell over Ervin though?

He may be a JAG, but the team is full of JAGs (all teams are). Why do you think they kept Howell over Ervin though?

They know what Ervin is

They want to get a look at Howell next offseason/TC.

I haven't paid attention how has Howell been on ST's?

They know what Ervin is

They want to get a look at Howell next offseason/TC.

I haven't paid attention how has Howell been on ST's?
I don’t watch tape, but just from watching games I only remember him making a play once. In the Miami game, he made a good stop on a return.

I find it odd how Ervin went from sole returner... to cut. Not flashy, but didn’t really do anything to lose the job. I would have understood if maybe they benched him for Howell or someone else, then eventually cut.

Sure all teams have JAGs. And most of those guys make up Teams. I don't know anything about Howell other than he's made some plays the 2 games he's played, and is averaging about 20 snaps per game on Teams. Somebody's got to play those 20-25 plays a game. Different positions on Teams though so I don't know why the comparison with Ervin.

As I said, Ervin was kinda forced into action on offense. He went from 10 offensive snaps in the 1st 6 games to 67 in the last 3. His stats in those 67 snaps - 2 targets, 2 catches, 23 yards. I think him being more in the offense these last 3 games made the Texans realize they needed to try and upgrade somehow. He wasn't anything special in the return game so they felt they could make that move.

Now whether Carter is an improvement anywhere on the filed, who knows?

I find it odd how Ervin went from sole returner... to cut. Not flashy, but didn’t really do anything to lose the job. I would have understood if maybe they benched him for Howell or someone else, then eventually cut.

I found it odd drafting Ervin in the 1st place. They already had that guy on the team with Akeem Hunt.

Sure all teams have JAGs. And most of those guys make up Teams. I don't know anything about Howell other than he's made some plays the 2 games he's played, and is averaging about 20 snaps per game on Teams. Somebody's got to play those 20-25 plays a game. Different positions on Teams though so I don't know why the comparison with Ervin.

As I said, Ervin was kinda forced into action on offense. He went from 10 offensive snaps in the 1st 6 games to 67 in the last 3. His stats in those 67 snaps - 2 targets, 2 catches, 23 yards. I think him being more in the offense these last 3 games made the Texans realize they needed to try and upgrade somehow. He wasn't anything special in the return game so they felt they could make that move.

Now whether Carter is an improvement anywhere on the filed, who knows?

I found it odd drafting Ervin in the 1st place. They already had that guy on the team with Akeem Hunt.
I was going to respond, but then realized, this isn’t a debate worth wasting time on. Lol. Let’s go Carter!

For what we've seen, I agree with you.

But... I think k the kid could have been something. If he'd go to a team who would use a third down back as a third down back. Or a team that runs RB screens.

I understand Coutee was out & we didn't have another WR. But what's wrong with throwing to RBs out of the backfield?

I mean I know Bill is the greatest play calling designer & all, after all he made a sixth round pick look like the GOAT. So the problem wasn't his creative acumen. Maybe Ervin was just too versatile.

Ervin, another terrible pick by our speed fetishist loser coach.

Guy was worthless.

And now he finally starts looking SOMEWHAT decent and he gets cut, lol. Dime a dozen, whatever.

I'm not going to blame O'Brian on this one, at least once he was in camp and working out. He wanted a guy to do all those things, return kicks, 3rd down RB situations and slot thrown in, trying to maximize skill set, just like Coutee has flashed but injured majority of reps he should of or would of been getting.

Some prospects don't translate to next level for whatever the reason, it happens. His strong senior season propelled him to a higher draft grade than warranted if you took in to totality his career at San Jose State. Senior season, 2015 he rushed for 1601 yards, 5.4 yards per carry, 13 TD's and 34 receptions but only 334 yards or 7.6 per and 2 TD's which suggests lack of explosiveness and no second gear. Surely that's what it takes to make a difference in the NFL.

Anywho, not like Tyler was a Gaine pick or someone O'Brian could trust with the football so best wishes to him with another team. It's going to cost them far less and no pick at all now.

Looks like another Ricky draft and to think he was here for 12 yrs and 2 regimes.
O'Brien's "we want more speed" philosophy was the reason we drafted Fuller and Ervin in that draft.
Coutee pick by Gaine shows O'Brien is still chasing speed.

There will be more picks like these.
Promising at first

but misused or at least under-featured,
then discarded.

Some will continue to think it's the players' fault

O'Brien's "we want more speed" philosophy was the reason we drafted Fuller and Ervin in that draft.

Promising at first

then discarded.

are we just going to ignore the fact that Ervin had patellar tendon surgery, which is generally a career killer especially for the type of player that Ervin is? He made his living making plays in space, but with the loss to his lateral agility it really kills that portion of his game.

are we just going to ignore the fact that Ervin had patellar tendon surgery, which is generally a career killer especially for the type of player that Ervin is? He made his living making plays in space, but with the loss to his lateral agility it really kills that portion of his game.
^^^^^THIS.........Did no one notice that he entirely lost his ability to "juge" and abruptly change direction on his returns?

Last edited:

Promising at first

then discarded.

The entire league is chasing speed now. Teams will keep doing so until they hit. Look at the Pats trading for Cooks and Dorsett last offseason. Then the Rams trading for Cooks to offset Watkins leaving in free agency for way more money than his production commanded.

The entire league is chasing speed now. Teams will keep doing so until they hit. Look at the Pats trading for Cooks and Dorsett last offseason. Then the Rams trading for Cooks to offset Watkins leaving in free agency for way more money than his production commanded.
I don't object to having more speed available, my concern is with the misuse or under-featured part of my post.
I don't doubt that NE's or LA's offensive brain trust will put those guys to good use.
Will ours?

I don't object to having more speed available, my concern is with the misuse or under-featured part of my post.
I don't doubt that NE's or LA's offensive brain trust will put those guys to good use.
Will ours?

Will never be able to tell, because all of our speed guys are constantly in the training room...

I think OB could've had fun with a fully healthy(and experienced) Coutee and Fuller.

Will never be able to tell, because all of our speed guys are constantly in the training room...

I think OB could've had fun with a fully healthy(and experienced) Coutee and Fuller.

Agreed. When healthy our speed guys look to be productive and used properly. Granted there are hits and misses just like every other position (Cooks and Dorsett... Fuller and Miller)

Back