Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

4th Round (126th overall) Charlie Heck, OT, North Carolina

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Developmental OT.

Great size/feet.

Needs to get stronger and play with better leverage. Atleast we wont have to watch Clark suck again this yr.

Do you trust Devlin to Develop him? I dont

Wish they would've taken Robertson or Lynch.

What did they have to give up to move up? The draft coverage is lacking. IMHO

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Developmental OT.

Great size/feet.

Needs to get stronger and play with better leverage. Atleast we wont have to watch Clark suck again this yr.

Do you trust Devlin to Develop him? I dont

Wish they would've taken Robertson or Lynch.

What did they have to give up to move up? The draft coverage is lacking. IMHO
Any chance he could play inside, but I know 6'8" guards are very unusual ?

zshawn10

All Pro
According to PFF, new Texans OT Charlie Heck allowed 14 pressures (but no sacks) in his final season at UNC.

He gives the Texans another swing tackle option. Rod Johnson held the position last year and is set to return on a 1-year, $1.75M deal
— Aaron Reiss (@aaronjreiss) April 25, 2020
BACKGROUND: Charlie Heck, who is the first-born of triplets, was a soccer-first athlete for most of his childhood and played goalie at Rockhurst High School. He grew up in a football family, but he was a late bloomer and didn’t start playing tackle football until eighth grade, playing a variety of positions. He continued to fill out his frame and was primarily a blocking tight end and defensive lineman by his senior year. Heck was named a captain and earned second-team all-state honors as a senior, helping Rockhurst to a 12-2 record and the Missouri 6A state title game.

A three-star offensive tackle recruit out of high school, Heck was the No. 98 offensive tackle in the 2015 recruiting class and ranked as the No. 14 recruit in the state of Missouri. He had family connections in Chapel Hill and committed to North Carolina over Kansas and Indiana. His older brother (Jon) was a four-year starting right tackle at North Carolina (2012-16) and currently serves as the Tar Heels assistant strength and conditioning coach. His father (Andy) won a National Championship at Notre Dame (1988) and was a first-round offensive lineman in the 1989 NFL Draft (No. 15 overall), playing 12 seasons in the NFL. He has been the offensive line coach for the Kansas City Chiefs since 2013. Heck accepted his invitation to the 2020 East-West Shrine Bowl and was a late call-up to the 2020 Senior Bowl.

STRENGTHS: Diverse athletic background, which translates to his movement patterns on the field…rushers have a tough time skimming his outside shoulder…nice job climbing to the second level, staying square to engage defenders in space…ready hands and looks to uncoil his punch before defenders attack him…heady player and keeps his head on a swivel to make quick adjustments…plays through the echo of the whistle…no question about his toughness — played through a broken right hand as a senior (September 2019), missing only one game (UNC offensive coordinator Phil Longo: "I think those guys in that room look up to him.")

WEAKNESSES: Moves with tall pads and hips, narrowing his base…rushers are able to get underneath his leverage…struggles to sink and strengthen his anchor vs. bull rushers…arms measured longer than expected, playing more like a short-armed player on tape, struggling to redirect rushers…overeager with his hands and his reach timing needs developed…falls off defenders as a run blocker, lunging and leaning…no question about his play motor, but could stand to compete with more of a mean streak.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at North Carolina, Heck lined up at left tackle in offensive coordinator Phil Longo’s offense. Primarily a blocking tight end in high school, he is still developing some of the details at the position, but as the son of an NFL offensive line coach, he has grown up around the position his entire life. Heck stays light on his feet to match outside rushers around the edge, but tends to struggle with his balance when mirroring vs. inside moves. His taller stature works against him, which leads to inconsistent weight transfer in pass pro and as a run blocker. Overall, Heck’s elevated pad level dings his leverage and his timing and technique need to continued improvement, but he checks boxes with his feet, toughness and intelligence, projecting as an end-of-the-roster swing tackle option.

YEAR (GP/GS) POSITION NOTES
2015: Redshirted
2016: (8/0)
2017: (12/11) 9 RT, 2 LT
2018: (11/11) LT
2019: (12/12) LT Second team All-ACC
Total: (43/34) 25 LT, 9 RT

take6

Noob
Not sure what the problem is - we needed depth at the o-line and drafting a coach son with all the necessary tools sound good to me. At this point in the draft it is like a lottery, there are no sure things left, and Heck at least fits a need and checks some boxes and was considered to be a 4-5th rounder...
we have bigger needs. Really think this is a good pick ? Really

badboy

Hall of Fame
I thought we had 2 4th rd picks to start the day BEFORE his trades today? I must've looked at outdated information? If your post is accurate I'm on board with it.
Our second round four was part of a trade IIRC before draft

Texansballer74

The Marine
Tradewise I have no clue how we now have the picks we have. We traded back and then back up? Wth?

Bro I believe he's trading just to be trading. He's been trying to trade up since round one. Got hot headed because the Lions backed out at the last minute. You knows hes stubborn so he was going to make a trade. Lol

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Best remaining OT. Those guys were flying off the board so you have to take him here if you’re going to get him.

I don’t think he ever starts. He struggles with leverage like most guys his height would. Good athlete, good length. Good pass blocker and decent in run game. Good backup player.
That crafty O'brien has unknown to all others has drafted another developmental TE.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Best remaining OT. Those guys were flying off the board so you have to take him here if you’re going to get him.

I don’t think he ever starts. He struggles with leverage like most guys his height would. Good athlete, good length. Good pass blocker and decent in run game. Good backup player.
If he never starts then this is a wasted pick. IMHO

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Bro I believe he's trading just to be trading. He's been trying to trade up since round one. Got hot headed because the Lions backed out at the last minute. You knows hes stubborn so he was going to make a trade. Lol
He has his plan that he's executing .
.You may disagree with his plan but it's his plan. I like how the draft has gone for the Texans. BTW he's not the only stubborn person.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We’ll see. I think a swing tackle is pretty valuable as far as reserves go. He’s a smart, athletic kid that can jump in on either side if they need him to. But he’ll never be a Tunsil or Howard level player.
Agreed, if he learns and gets stronger Heck could play RT and Howard could slide into the RG spot

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Really excited to get Charlie Heck. His dad is one of the best OL coaches in the league currently with the Chiefs. His brother is a S&C coach with North Carolina. He comes from a football family and most important given that we have Devlin at OL coach he can ask his dad for help and to weed out the “odd” coaching he’ll receive with the Texans.

The team wants to make sure they have a viable swing tackle now. It is hard to get someone later than this point of draft who has a viable chance of not just making team but also being activated on Sundays.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Really excited to get Charlie Heck. His dad is one of the best OL coaches in the league currently with the Chiefs. His brother is a S&C coach with North Carolina. He comes from a football family and most important given that we have Devlin at OL coach he can ask his dad for help and to weed out the “odd” coaching he’ll receive with the Texans.

The team wants to make sure they have a viable swing tackle now. It is hard to get someone later than this point of draft who has a viable chance of not just making team but also being activated on Sundays.
I was wondering if his dad would come here, maybe that thinking also factored in the pick!