Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

3-4 In Vogue

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Not earth shattering, but a good off-season read.

There are plenty of reasons to like the 3-4. An extra linebacker means an additional defender who is on his feet, with a clear line of vision. It also gives the defense more options for zone blitzing, with four wild-card rushers as opposed to three, and better ability to drop eight players in coverage against multi-receiver sets.

"With seven defenders (in coverage), the receivers will hit the seams too much," says coordinator Wade Phillips, a longtime proponent of the 3-4 who is installing it in San Diego. "You have to take that away, and obviously that's easier to do with a three-man line."

Perhaps more important, the league has an abundance of young, athletic pass rushers in the 230- to 260-pound range who excelled as standup ends in college.

"It's easier to find a 250-pound gifted athlete than a 350-pound gifted athlete," says Steelers coordinator **** LeBeau. "A guy who doesn't quite fit in the 4-3 might be at home in the 3-4."

I think the Patriots had something to do with a few teams switching from 4-3 to 3-4. If only our D could be as effective.

The question about 4-3 vs 3-4 has always been funny to me. Which is better? The answer is neither. The key is how many are in the box. Realistically they are both very similar. Most 3-4 defenses walk a LB (usually weak side) up to the line of srimmage, giving them a 4-3 look. And now days, many 4-3 (Texas's for example) shift one tackle to a shade nose position and place the weak side DE outside the last lineman on that side, thus like a 3-4 with a walked up LB. The only difference is do you want that extra player on his feet or in a stance.

neither is better then the other...however typically the 4-3 has better luck against the run and the 3-4 has better luck against the pass...simply due to more lineman against the run and a better ability to pass rushing against the pass...personally i like the cover 2 that lovie smith runs...but i know caper teams...normally they are hard to plan against...the patriots have been running it real well lately...but sooner or later something breaks...they won't be ontop for too long

I am thinking the same thing 3-4 is a little bit better then 4-3 b/c you have another guy who can get to the ball quick

The 3-4 is shaded to work better against the pass and in our division that seems like a good thing.

SteelBlue said:
The 3-4 is actually the better run defense historically. The 4-3 is the better pass defense. When we go into a 3rd and long we will go to more of a 4-3 look.
Thats why Capers loves Babin, because he can play OLB in 34 and DE in 43.

I thought I read somewhere that Capers wants to mix in a little more 4-3 this year with our base 3-4.

Back