Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2022 OTA’s Mini Camp And Pre Season

Earl34

Hall of Fame
On 610 today. I heard former QB, Clint Stoerner discussing Pep Hamilton's coaching style. He said that since he started covering the Texans during the O'Brien era, he has not seen an OC or QB coach conducting the drills Pep is doing in these OTAs.

Stoerner said he didn't see the volume of on field drills between QBs, WRs and the attention to details from O'Brien, Kelly or even Carl Smith. He also mentioned that maybe their methods were more in the classroom than on field work. However. based on Pep's approach, he can see why Pep has had success preparing young QBs while O'Brien's offenses got the reputation for not being QB friendly or easy for young players. Take it for what it's worth.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
On 610 today. I heard former QB, Clint Stoerner discussing Pep Hamilton's coaching style. He said that since he started covering the Texans during the O'Brien era, he has not seen an OC or QB coach conducting the drills Pep is doing in these OTAs.

Stoerner said he didn't see the volume of on field drills between QBs, WRs and the attention to details from O'Brien, Kelly or even Carl Smith. He also mentioned that maybe their methods were more in the classroom than on field work. However. based on Pep's approach, he can see why Pep has had success preparing young QBs while O'Brien's offenses got the reputation for not being QB friendly or easy for young players. Take it for what it's worth.
Where did BOB's offense get that reputation? Texans Talk?

Derrick put up career numbers in that offense and if you think Kelly was running the same offense (I dont) Mills seemed to be progressing well. This is a false narrative.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

Derrick put up career numbers in that offense and if you think Kelly was running the same offense (I dont) Mills seemed to be progressing well. This is a false narrative.
How are you surprised that OB’s offense had that reputation? The offense was trash. I don’t even need to get into the details. Everyone knows this.

And it is easy to put up career numbers when you only have one coach in your career.

Mills did good because of Pep. Not Kelly.

Don’t re-write the past. This is known.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
How are you surprised that OB’s offense had that reputation? The offense was trash. I don’t even need to get into the details. Everyone knows this.

And it is easy to put up career numbers when you only have one coach in your career.

Mills did good because of Pep. Not Kelly.

Don’t re-write the past. This is known.
It's easy to put up career numbers?

More than 1 person went into Mills having some level of success and I think Kelly was a below avg OC. But when they had a run game that offense was successful. See: Chargers game. The OL sucked and has for yrs. That lead to the poor offensive showings over the yrs and while the OL coaches were bad, the talent level wasn't good either. Hopefully this changes with a new scheme/Warhop/Green/Cann. If healthy the OL should be much improved this yr.

Last edited:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
It's easy to put up career numbers?

More than 1 person went into Mills having some level of success and I think Kelly was a below avg OC. But when they had a run game that offense was successful. See: Chargers game. The OL sucked and has for yrs. That lead to the poor offensive showings over the yrs and while the OL coaches were bad, the talent level wasn't good either. Hopefully this changes with a new scheme/Warhop/Green/Cann. If healthy the OL should be much improved this yr.
Career number as in the best of his career. Think about what you are saying. Rookies usually get better and put up career numbers as their career progresses. You aren’t saying the top in the NFL.

Play calling was awful with OB or his apprentice Kelly.

More than 1 may do a job, but the one doing most of the work should get the credit. It is Pep in this case. Look at his resume and then Kelly’s. It is obvious who would have more impact and deserve credit.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Career number as in the best of his career. Think about what you are saying. Rookies usually get better and put up career numbers as their career progresses. You aren’t saying the top in the NFL.

Play calling was awful with OB or his apprentice Kelly.

More than 1 may do a job, but the one doing most of the work should get the credit. It is Pep in this case. Look at his resume and then Kelly’s. It is obvious who would have more impact and deserve credit.
Dont get me wrong, I think Pep is a really good coach and wont be with the Texans long because he's going to be a HC soon.

frethack

Rookie

It's just the thoughts of a NFL backup QB turned radio personality with training camp access over a number of years. Has nothing to do with Texans Talk...if Stoerner were here there would be more threads about Coors Light.

Sounds like he was just drawing the distinction that Pep likes more physical reps.

Full disclosure, I'm not a Stoerner fan.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Wow….when do the pads go on? The more I hear these coaches do interviews, the more I get excited about the upcoming season.

Pep finally said what I’ve waited years to hear….we’re observing our players to see what they do best so we can modify the offense around their abilities. This allows them to play fast. BAM!!!!

Planned or unplanned…..Caserio has a coaching staff that he and the fans of Houston can get excited about. Just keep the talent coming in, in 2023 & 2024 while keeping this staff together and I can see very good things happening in the near future.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Wow….when do the pads go on?

The Texans report for training camp on July 29 and hit the field for their first set of two-a-days on July 30. Click the Texans Events calendar in the right rail to see which dates are open to the public. Tickets are free and one sale July 16 at Foley's. Below are the reporting dates and camp sites for all 32 NFL teams.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Wow….when do the pads go on? The more I hear these coaches do interviews, the more I get excited about the upcoming season.

Pep finally said what I’ve waited years to hear….we’re observing our players to see what they do best so we can modify the offense around their abilities. This allows them to play fast. BAM!!!!

Planned or unplanned…..Caserio has a coaching staff that he and the fans of Houston can get excited about. Just keep the talent coming in, in 2023 & 2024 while keeping this staff together and I can see very good things happening in the near future.
OK.

Personally I don’t know how anybody gets excited about off-season coach speak and what players are doing in shorts and against air, but maybe that’s just me.

Seems like the last coach brought a lot of positive vibes and energy during the off-season.

OptimisticTexan

The Texans report for training camp on July 29 and hit the field for their first set of two-a-days on July 30. Click the Texans Events calendar in the right rail to see which dates are open to the public. Tickets are free and one sale July 16 at Foley's. Below are the reporting dates and camp sites for all 32 NFL teams.
Unfortunately, we're still overseas. Our next leave will happen at some point in April. NFL GamePass isn't available in France so I'm going to go with a VPN and a streaming service. I'm determined.

OptimisticTexan

OK.

Personally I don’t know how anybody gets excited about off-season coach speak and what players are doing in shorts and against air, but maybe that’s just me.

Seems like the last coach brought a lot of positive vibes and energy during the off-season.
O'Brien was a bust in my mind from the day he was hired. Even more so by year one mid-season. Culley was a Watson appeasement hiring....as was the retention of Kelly. Watson never came back and neither did Culley or Kelly. I'm liking this crew for my own reasons.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
OK.

I don’t think we have ever seen you happy or excited.

So yes - it is just you. But that is what makes you special.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I don’t think we have ever seen you happy or excited.

So yes - it is just you. But that is what makes you special.
You must have me confused for someone else.

I’ve been excited plenty when it’s been warranted. Hasn’t been warranted with this team in a while though. And I damn sure ain’t getting jacked about off-season quotes and practices in shorts and no helmets.

But if that gets your blood flowing, more power to you.

Reactions: JB

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
You must have me confused for someone else.

I’ve been excited plenty when it’s been warranted. Hasn’t been warranted with this team in a while though. And I damn sure ain’t getting jacked about off-season quotes and practices in shorts and no helmets.

But if that gets your blood flowing, more power to you.
Probably the reason.

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
Lovie. Not even a close one. Lovie is hands on and teaching. As well as getting along with the players. He is the coach who is not going to yell at you or something unless you really mess up and more than once. Kubiak is a good coach and he also got along with players. However, he was not doing much coaching in reality. He was delegating to the staff. I was watching a video and saw this many times. He would at times be a bit more hands on but not as much. And not to start a war or anything but many players over the years seem to identify with a coach who was raised in similar situations to them. Gary was not raised like the players by and large. Could it be skin color or is it just ways that they are raised? Seeing minority coaches tend to be raised similar to most players. It's just cultural things I think. So if Gary had grown up dirt poor in a bad area compared to the one he was. And had to fight for many things as many players say in interviews. It would be much closer of who bonds/understands/connect with the players.
Yes indeed skin color can certainly be a factor in how one is raised.
If we can be candid here I don't think it's a provocative statement to say that in ones youth there's definitely a correlation between race and socioeconomic surroundings, so clearly a Lovie Smith is probably more suited to be able to relate and "appreciate" a young black mans experience than would a Gary Kubiak., e.g., Smith and Kubiak most likely belong to different political parties.
I don't know which Kubiak y'all are talking about, Kubes is from 5th ward and used to slang rocks off Tidwell so he could pay his tuition at St. Pius X. Heard he even killed a guy for stepping on his pumas.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Are we supposed to talk about that or am i thinking of something else?
Steelb said they stayed in house when they hired Gaine. I said he wasn't in house hire. He stated I should do more research to which I stated use the G button better known as Google

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I like this.

Getting physical in OTA's.

Apparently setting a tone costs 50 grand these days.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Why does the media even post these vids? The media really needs to look up the definition of "highlight".. all I saw was a bunch of grown men walking around on grass.
Yes, it's very lame. But don't blame the outside media. This comes from the Texans inside media department. You can download or link to this yourself, just as this radio station did.