Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 Texans Offseason Analysis

**** the assholes at Texas Sports Nation. Unless I sign in, I can't read their ****. Which I probably don't need to, every bit of analysis that comes from these types of articles I've read in here.

The difference being is that sports writers generally don't piss in your cereal when you disagree with them like folks in here do.

**** the assholes at Texas Sports Nation. Unless I sign in, I can't read their ****. Which I probably don't need to, every bit of analysis that comes from these types of articles I've read in here.

The difference being is that sports writers generally don't piss in your cereal when you disagree with them like folks in here do.
If you use your "new incognito tool" in Chrome (after you hit the 3 vertical dots in the upper right hand corner of the browser) or "new private window" Firefox (after you hit the 3 horizontal lines in the upper right hiand corner of the browser)..........the site is not well encryption-protected and should allow you to read the articles.

If the MODS want each of the above "analysis" articles to be broken down to their own thread, I will be happy to do that.:tiphat:

John McClain , Houston Chronicle April 10, 2019

If Kalil and Henderson are healthy for the start of the season, the line should be improved, but that possibility shouldn't prevent them from adding two linemen in the draft.

He's either saying Kalil was good prior to injury, Davenport is that bad, or both.

I'd love to hear his thoughts about the Center position. They have to address Center sometime in this draft.

He's either saying Kalil was good prior to injury, Davenport is that bad, or both.

I'd love to hear his thoughts about the Center position. They have to address Center sometime in this draft.

They feel as though they have already figured out and addressed the starter center's problem for this upcoming season..........

9c407de4-3f90-449c-9a5b-4f3009a661bc_1.41f898cd997c1f4647b25969ffa2498c.jpeg

AFC SOUTH

C Greg Mancz

2016 snaps: 1120

Key stat: Allowed just 18 total pressures across 1,120 snaps over the regular season.

Another star of the PFF college grading, Mancz somehow went undrafted in 2015, but started last season for the Texans at center and had five perfect games of pass protection as well as grading solidly as a run-blocker over the year. His PFF grade of 84.2 was good enough to rank eighth in the NFL, higher than multiple Pro Bowl players. Mancz didn’t allow a sack or hit across two playoff games.

Why the hell the coaching staff moved him out of the center position in the first place is a headscratcher.
By season #2, he could have been special.
PUT HIM THE HELL BACK!

AFC SOUTH

C Greg Mancz

2016 snaps: 1120

Key stat: Allowed just 18 total pressures across 1,120 snaps over the regular season.

Another star of the PFF college grading, Mancz somehow went undrafted in 2015, but started last season for the Texans at center and had five perfect games of pass protection as well as grading solidly as a run-blocker over the year. His PFF grade of 84.2 was good enough to rank eighth in the NFL, higher than multiple Pro Bowl players. Mancz didn’t allow a sack or hit across two playoff games.

Why the hell the coaching staff moved him out of the center position in the first place is a headscratcher.
By season #2, he could have been special.
PUT HIM THE HELL BACK!

No headscratcher there.

From Oct 2018:

October 2015, Mancz suffered a significant nondisclosed knee injury that required surgery and IR. He came back strong in 2016. But in Sept 2017, suffered a re-injury to his operated knee, and dealt with resulting significant issues through the entire 2017 season. He was limited in practices throughout this period and was not able to hold down any OL position effectively.

He continued to have intermittent problems with his knee last season which limited his play.

Dude needs to address that - could mean a lucrative contract if he can be top 8 in the league at C.
As the exact injury/surgery has never been reveals, it may not be a "fixable" problem or one that may only be addressed with drastic surgery such as microfracture surgery......a surgery that many players when it becomes the only reasonable option choose not to pursue.

As the exact injury/surgery has never been reveals, it may not be a "fixable" problem or one that may only be addressed with drastic surgery such as microfracture surgery......a surgery that many players when it becomes the only reasonable option choose not to pursue.
I get that.
Still, isn't he only exacerbating the problem by playing on it injured?
Clowney turned out good due to better modern methods.

Not to cut off anyone's reply to JB's question, but I'm hoping someone can help me understand what Martin's specific deficiencies are. Is he lacking in leg, arm, or core strength? Recognition and reaction time? Balance or use of leverage? Footwork or lateral movement? Football IQ? Help me out with this analysis, please. Thank you.

Not to cut off anyone's reply to JB's question, but I'm hoping someone can help me understand what Martin's specific deficiencies are. Is he lacking in leg, arm, or core strength? Recognition and reaction time? Balance or use of leverage? Footwork or lateral movement? Football IQ? Help me out with this analysis, please. Thank you.

Perhaps being surrounded by sucky supporting staff?

Cohesion has to be a big factor.
This line has no consistency with personnel at their respective positions on that line.

Reactions: JB
I was wondering what you're starting in on me about.
For example, we aren't allowed to talk about current players?

Wasn't starting in on you at al. Actually agree with you other than the PFF piece from 2016 having relevance in 2019

Yes, the general consensus seems to be that the coaching, surrounding players, and cohesiveness are less than optimal. What I'm looking for, though, are thoughts on Martin's particular shortcomings.

Yes, the general consensus seems to be that the coaching, surrounding players, and cohesiveness are less than optimal. What I'm looking for, though, are thoughts on Martin's particular shortcomings.

All of what you stated

I agree BUT he hasn't stayed healthy enough to start... perhaps why he was an UDFA?
Yep.
Comes back to my point that he should consider the same surgery Clowney had if he has a similar injury.
Dude could be an outright stud at C if fully healthy.

From Nov 2018:

Martin has had a tough time holding back or pushing on, especially against decent NTs.........a definite residual of his history of 2 high ankle sprain/fractures. After such injuries, strength becomes an unavoidable chronic problem.

I get that.
Still, isn't he only exacerbating the problem by playing on it injured?
Clowney turned out good due to better modern methods.

Yep.
Comes back to my point that he should consider the same surgery Clowney had if he has a similar injury.
Dude could be an outright stud at C if fully healthy.

For many reasons, NFL players do not readily opt for microfracture knee surgery. Of all sports, football has the worst record for return to play (only 67%) and length of play after the procedure (66% of those 67% return for only 1 season and only ~40% of the 67% make it to 3 years).............as well as performance level compared to pre-injury. And those opting for this surgery have an extreme high rate of need for knee replacement following the end of their career. And be assure that this is a very tough painful surgery to rehab. Easy to see why this route is not lightly or commonly taken.

Last edited:

I don't think he's strong enough & seems to have issues with planting & balance.

Back